Looking for Shredder Recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Looking for Shredder Recommendations

Post by FrugalInvestor »

My shredder just quit. I shred quite a bit so would like a 12-15 page rating and a 7-8 gallon bin. I'd also like it to be the microcut type (second choice is crosscut).

My challenge is finding one that will allow me to keep a plastic bag in the bin so I can easily and cleanly take the bag out when it is full and put in in my recycle bin - which is how our local recycling provider likes it. It's difficult to transfer the shredded paper from the bin to a bag after the bin is full without making a mess. I just purchased a Royal model from Costco but the bag interfered with the safety switch which made it less than convenient to use.

The specs or reviews for shredders seldom if ever mention the ability to accept a liner bag in the bin.

Is anyone using a shredder that closely meets the above specs and will accept a plastic bag liner in the bin that they would recommend?
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
whodidntante

Re: Looking for Shredder Recommendations

Post by whodidntante »

I guess I'm uncertain why you can't put a kitchen bag in almost any largish shredder. There are also shredders that are made to sit on top of a garbage receptacle, having no basket built in.

You might be able to buy some high capacity shredders from the Federal Reserve, from when they thought they were going to reduce their balance sheet. Silly Fed.
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

whodidntante wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:53 pm I guess I'm uncertain why you can't put a kitchen bag in almost any largish shredder.
On the Royal the bag interfered with the safety switch. I managed to tape the bag on the switch side but decided it was more of a hassle than I wanted to deal with every time I change the bag.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

Not what you asked, but I gave up on shredders, now I put everything in a bankers box, wait until it gets full and then take it to a place that shreds while you watch. I pay by the pound.
badbreath

Post by badbreath »

Look into the Fellowes brand
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Mine just died also, and I have 4 cases (about 18,000 pages) of paper to shred, so I just ordered the Fellowes Powershred 99Ci and a case of bags, just waiting for it to arrive. It is Crosscut (Security Level P-4), which is considered good enough for confidential data. They do have a Microcut version, which is Security Level P-5. But I didn't think that was worth double the price.
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:57 am Mine just died also, and I have 4 cases (about 18,000 pages) of paper to shred, so I just ordered the Fellowes Powershred 99Ci and a case of bags, just waiting for it to arrive. It is Crosscut (Security Level P-4), which is considered good enough for confidential data. They do have a Microcut version, which is Security Level P-5. But I didn't think that was worth double the price.
I ordered the larger Fellowes from Costco (Fellowes Microshred 1800MC 18) that is a micro-cut, not for security but so I don't have to empty it so often. I'll take it out of the box and see if I can put a bag in (that will stay). If not, I'll return it. Fingers crossed.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I have a fellows microcut shredder and bags mess with the sensor. However when I empty it, I just remove the container from the machine, open up a new trashbag and put the opening clear around the shredder box and cinch it tight, and invert until empty. No mess and no fussing with the liner to avoid tripping the sensor.
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:19 pm I have a fellows microcut shredder and bags mess with the sensor. However when I empty it, I just remove the container from the machine, open up a new trashbag and put the opening clear around the shredder box and cinch it tight, and invert until empty. No mess and no fussing with the liner to avoid tripping the sensor.
Well I'm sorry to hear that but if I can get the shreddings from the bin to the bag without a mess I may live with it. Thanks for the feedback....I'll report back.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:14 am I ordered the larger Fellowes from Costco (Fellowes Microshred 1800MC 18) that is a micro-cut, not for security but so I don't have to empty it so often. I'll take it out of the box and see if I can put a bag in (that will stay). If not, I'll return it. Fingers crossed.
It's actually smaller (8<9), but fair enough. :)
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

My shredder sounds like it wants to die any day now, so I will be keeping an eye on this thread.

Mine is a Bonsai 14 sheet C169-B. It is about 4 years old and has shredded thousands of pages. It has been "ok", but nothing special. Seems like I should have gotten more use out of it, but it is my first shredder, so what do I know.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

mrb09 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:53 pm Not what you asked, but I gave up on shredders, now I put everything in a bankers box, wait until it gets full and then take it to a place that shreds while you watch. I pay by the pound.
The price for express shredding (you can watch them do it) is about $7 more for a box full than letting them put it into a locked container, and they shred later. I'm not sure I like that, but would like other people's thoughts. Also, there are a lot more places who do the locked box thing available locally (UPS store, Staples, etc).
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Our Dynex shredder is many years old. I do appreciate the need to be able to shred 10+ pages at a time because junk mail is now starting to "bulk up" so that it cannot be shredded without opening it up first. Also there are those places that send a nickel in their junk mail.

As for the emptying, I normally don't ever empty ours because the maids have done it, but a couple weeks OK I did empty it myself as follows:

Remove the bin of micro-cut and place a plastic 13 gallon kitchen garbage bag OVER the top down to the carpet. Pick up the pail and invert the cuttings into the plastic bag and shake the bin. Remove bin out the top leaving all the paper at the bottom of the plastic bag. All done with no mess.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
investor4life

Post by investor4life »

Related question: What to do with the confetti after shredding? Local curbside recycler discourages recycling as it gums up their sorting machines. They advised putting it in the trash, which is what I have done but it seems such a waste.
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

investor4life wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:20 pm Related question: What to do with the confetti after shredding? Local curbside recycler discourages recycling as it gums up their sorting machines. They advised putting it in the trash, which is what I have done but it seems such a waste.
Our recycling center wants it put in a clear plastic bag (so they know what it is) and placed in the recycling bin. It varies from place to place.
Ged

Post by Ged »

There is are older threads on this topic.

viewtopic.php?t=208186

viewtopic.php?t=108666

I am still happy with my Amazon Basics 17 sheet shredder, however the model I purchased is no longer available.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Ged wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:46 pmI am still happy with my Amazon Basics 17 sheet shredder, however the model I purchased is no longer available.
Ironically enough, this is the one I just put out for trash today. The sensor died a bit less than a year ago, so I had to manually turn it on and off. Then about 10 days ago it just stopped working entirely.
Afty

Post by Afty »

The Wirecutter recommends the AmazonBasics 15-sheet model. https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... shredders/
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

investor4life wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:20 pm Related question: What to do with the confetti after shredding? Local curbside recycler discourages recycling as it gums up their sorting machines. They advised putting it in the trash, which is what I have done but it seems such a waste.
It makes good mulch in the garden if you have one.

Post by 123 »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:49 pm ...My challenge is finding one that will allow me to keep a plastic bag in the bin so I can easily and cleanly take the bag out when it is full and put in in my recycle bin..
I think the shredder head and the plastic bin are "married" to each other for safety purposes, the shredder head has to be mated to the bin (via a notch in the plastic somewhere) for the shredder to run. You don't want the shredder head to be able to start while it is just lying on the floor. Probably most bags would tend to interfer with the operation of that safety notch.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Lacrocious

Post by Lacrocious »

I really like my Amazon Basics - 12 Sheet Micro cut for $114 -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PG ... UTF8&psc=1

Not sure if it will hold a bag or not, but I was surprised by how quiet it is compared to my old rattle trap that died. Dumping the bin into a bag doesn't make much of a mess unless I'm careless. It is a nice little machine for low cost.
- L
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Afty wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:21 pm The Wirecutter recommends the AmazonBasics 15-sheet model. https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... shredders/
Thanks for the suggestion.

I cancelled my Costco.com order and placed an order for the Amazon Basics 15-sheet shredder. The Amazon shredder was roughly half the price of the Fellowes I had ordered from Costco and the reviews were overwhelmingly good. A number of people mentioned using bags in the bin of the Amazon Basics shredder so apparently it is possible. It's smaller than the Fellowes I originally ordered and it's a crosscut rather than micro shred but I think it'll work, especially considering the price difference.

I'll follow-up with my impressions here after I receive it on Friday.
AQ

Post by AQ »

I have one but rarely bother to use it. Instead, I simply drop it to garbage cans or recycle bins. Is there anyone who really dig into dirt to get those old documents? Isn't it much easier to loot a mailboxes or hack to a data center?? Can anyone remind me the risk of not shredding a credit car bill or a bank statement?
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

mrb09 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:53 pm Not what you asked, but I gave up on shredders, now I put everything in a bankers box, wait until it gets full and then take it to a place that shreds while you watch. I pay by the pound.
Probably sensible.

The main risk being that someone breaks in and steals your pile of documents in the most elaborate identify theft ever. Or you have unscrupulous characters in your house who steal your identity. Or you provide an orgy of evidence to an investigation against you. Or some sort of pests build nests in your bankers box paper pile.

Pre-dystopia, one could go to a "community shred day" at certain credit unions and get it done for free. You can tell your kids (or other people's kids) what the world was like then. Make sure to embellish and flat out lie, like claiming that cars were so much better then and the economy didn't need continuous help from the Fed to avoid freezing up.
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

AQ wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:58 pmI have one but rarely bother to use it. Instead, I simply drop it to garbage cans or recycle bins. Is there anyone who really dig into dirt to get those old documents? Isn't it much easier to loot a mailboxes or hack to a data center?? Can anyone remind me the risk of not shredding a credit car bill or a bank statement?
You make a compelling point. I think its a "ounce prevention...pound medicine", or whatever the saying is.

Am I the only one here who burns their confidential documents? I have access to a shredder, multiple actually. But when I do my New Year's old-document-cleanouts, I would never take the time to shred. I layout some cinder blocks, scratch a match, take a seat, & toss a few sheets in at a time. Or I'd use a ceramic plant pot if it isn't an extra large amount. Mix the ash up... I'd pay someone to try & recover confidential details after that.

Old barbecues also work pretty good.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I ended up with the Amazon Basics 15-sheet crosscut shredder. A plastic garbage bag can be used in it without interfering with the safety switch and is easy to insert/remove which was important to me. It is not too noisy. It doesn't shut off by itself so I put it on a smart plug and tell Alexa to handle that. It is not a micro-cut but crosscuts small enough that I shouldn't be changing the bag constantly. The drawer where the shreddings are collected is convenient to remove and replace. It is quite a bit smaller than the Fellowes I canceled from Costco and fits the space I have well. I think the Fellowes would have been a bit overwhelming. It was about half the price of the Fellowes.

It fulfilled my wish list close enough that I'm happy with it and was a excellent value at $114+tax to boot!
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Afty wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:21 pm The Wirecutter recommends the AmazonBasics 15-sheet model. https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... shredders/
After going through a few shredders I bought an AmazonBasics one - maybe a couple of years ago thinking "I will just get something cheaper since I have to keep replacing it every year or so". Amazingly the AmazonBasics model seems to be holding up better than any of the predecessors I had.
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

DaftInvestor wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:25 pm
After going through a few shredders I bought an AmazonBasics one - maybe a couple of years ago thinking "I will just get something cheaper since I have to keep replacing it every year or so". Amazingly the AmazonBasics model seems to be holding up better than any of the predecessors I had.
That's good news! :D
Hope mine does the same.
btq96r

Post by btq96r »

If you really want to go all out, you can get one that's certified for DoD classified material. The cost is up there, but it'll likely last you the better part of a decade with just regular oiling.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Cubicle wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:24 am
AQ wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:58 pmI have one but rarely bother to use it. Instead, I simply drop it to garbage cans or recycle bins. Is there anyone who really dig into dirt to get those old documents? Isn't it much easier to loot a mailboxes or hack to a data center?? Can anyone remind me the risk of not shredding a credit car bill or a bank statement?
You make a compelling point. I think its a "ounce prevention...pound medicine", or whatever the saying is.

Am I the only one here who burns their confidential documents? I have access to a shredder, multiple actually. But when I do my New Year's old-document-cleanouts, I would never take the time to shred. I layout some cinder blocks, scratch a match, take a seat, & toss a few sheets in at a time. Or I'd use a ceramic plant pot if it isn't an extra large amount. Mix the ash up... I'd pay someone to try & recover confidential details after that.

My thoughts exactly. I bought a metal fire pit from Ollies for $29. Has a nice screened cover. My shredder died last year, so this is my new shredder!!
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
Topic Author
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

KSOC wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:01 pm
Cubicle wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:24 am

My thoughts exactly. I bought a metal fire pit from Ollies for $29. Has a nice screened cover. My shredder died last year, so this is my new shredder!!
Hope you know that they shut down automatically if they get too hot! :)