E-Bike recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
corn18

E-Bike recommendations

Post by corn18 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:50 pm

We live in an area with an awesome bike trail (next to a canal). It has one serious hill, but otherwise mostly flat. I have a road bike and love doing 35-50 miles. I would love to ride with my wife, but she cannot keep up due to physical issues. I think we would enjoy riding together, so I thought maybe she could get an ebike. Her first priority is comfort. So I am looking at an electric cruiser type bike. I really like the Pedego and we are going to rent one tomorrow. It is really pricey @ $3200. We could rent it a lot for that much. But we also camp so it might be nice to have a pair of ebikes for that.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations or experience with cruiser type ebikes? Not interested in mountain bikes.

Don't do something, just stand there!

rankl

Re: E-Bike recommendations

Post by rankl » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:03 pm

Try vanmoof, its an amazing bike.

https://www.vanmoof.com/en-US/s3

they introduced their latest recently, will be a little wait to get that, otherwise, excellent bikes.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:23 pm

OP,

How serious is the hill? 300 feet climb?

The easiest way to get a good answer is to find out what are the popular e-bikes in your area. Ask the bike shop or e-bike owners in the area.

The questions that you need to answer are

A) Mid-drive versus hub motor.

B) The power of the Motor -> 250W, 500W??

C) The distance that you need to travel -> Size of the battery,

<<Her first priority is comfort. >>

D) Unfortunately, you just have to try it out in order to know whether it works out for her.

http://www.wearea2b.com/index.php/uk/e- ... b-kuo-plus

E) I have this one. It costs me $1,700.

F) I think $3,000+ for the Pedeco is too much. You can do much better with $3,000+

G) A good web site for e-bike review.

https://electricbikereview.com/

KlangFool

Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:49 pm

Thanks KF. We are going to rent bikes tomorrow and use them on the trail we plan to ride on. It's a great trail that runs from the OH/KY border about 67 miles N into Dayton. If we like the idea of E-bikes, then we'll go from there.

inves76

Post by inves76 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:19 pm

Pedego are way overprice.
I recommend you the Townie Go! 8D. Townie is brand owned by Trek. For $2099 the bike has a nice Bosch mid drive motor. I don't like the battery inserted in the rear rack, the bike is less stable. Better if it is attached to the diagonal tube.
https://www.electrabike.com/bikes/towni ... g=stepthru

Take a look at this review. It is a similar model from 2018.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvZfEyRwNEg

cellisto

Post by cellisto » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:55 pm

I bike 40 miles a day round trip with a 3k foot elevation gain on the 20 mile way back from work. I have the Aventon level purchased a few months ago and have already 700 trouble free miles on it. Worth a look especially at the price point. I carry saddlebags on the rack for my toiletries and shower situation when I arrive at work. In pedal assist 5 I can go over 30 mph. It drains the battery fast though so I stay around 18mph.

Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:17 pm

inves76 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:19 pm
I recommend you the Townie Go! 8D. Townie is brand owned by Trek. For $2099 the bike has a nice Bosch mid drive motor. I don't like the battery inserted in the rear rack, the bike is less stable. Better if it is attached to the diagonal tube.

I like that one. Only concern is 250W for my fat butt. Luckily, the local bike shop rents these, too. So I get to try a Pedego and a Townie tomorrow!

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:28 pm

Whatever you get, make sure it can be repaired near you. We loved our e-bike for 3 years but when it croaked none of the bike shops around here could get parts to fix it.

We replaced it with a used Pedego, which was a lot cheaper than a new one.

mogg

Post by mogg » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:31 pm

250 W is underpowered. It's weak, and if you stress out the motor, the motor could break.

If you don't mind waiting, you can buy from China and get an industry standard BBSHD 1000 W hub.

http://frey.bike/HardTails-electric-bik ... HT1000.htm

mgensler

Post by mgensler » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:34 pm

250W motor should be plenty. We live in the Cincinnati urban area and have to traverse hills where ever we go. My wife has a Blix and loves it. We have mid drives but most of the market seems to be rear drives right now.

Odiedog

Post by Odiedog » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:41 pm

Radpower Radcity 4. I have an earlier version that I use to commute 25 miles to work, charge while working then 25 miles back home. A few big hills along the way. 1500 feet vertical gain from home to work. I've gone 40 miles on a single charge.

They just plain work. https://www.radpowerbikes.com/pages/ebikes

Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:49 pm

mogg wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:31 pm
250 W is underpowered. It's weak, and if you stress out the motor, the motor could break.

If you don't mind waiting, you can buy from China and get an industry standard BBSHD 1000 W hub.

http://frey.bike/HardTails-electric-bik ... HT1000.htm
Don't want a mountain bike,

Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:55 pm

mgensler wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:34 pm
250W motor should be plenty. We live in the Cincinnati urban area and have to traverse hills where ever we go. My wife has a Blix and loves it. We have mid drives but most of the market seems to be rear drives right now.
Hello from Loveland! The bike trail that runs through Loveland is where we would ride. Not a lot of hills on the trail, but there is a gigantic hill getting down into Loveland. Where did you buy your bike? We are heading to Bishops bikes in Milford and to the shop in Loveland.

bikechuck

Post by bikechuck » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:59 pm

My wife got a Trek Verve step through last July fot her birthday. For the first time in our 40 year marriage we csn enjoy riding togrther. She loves it, we often ride 20 - 30 miles and generally ride 100 ish miles per week. That never happened before.

inves76

Post by inves76 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:05 pm

corn18 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:17 pm
inves76 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:19 pm

I like that one. Only concern is 250W for my fat butt. Luckily, the local bike shop rents these, too. So I get to try a Pedego and a Townie tomorrow!
250W nominal but the peak is much higher, close to 750W. But there is no rules on how to measure the motor watts. Bosch limits the nominal to 250W to meet the european law. I have tried this motor and the Active Plus version and they are very quite and enough power to climb a hill 15-18mph, a 20mph on flat (it is the limit).

Point

Post by Point » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:19 pm

I have a Rad City Bike. I really enjoy riding it. But, when I had a flat, pulling the wheel is difficult due to the weight, and the motor being in the rear wheel. I would take a close look at ebikes with regular wheels, and the motor mechanism is elsewhere, like in the crank/hub.

inves76

Post by inves76 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:07 pm

corn18 wrote:

So, how was the test? Any decision?

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:10 pm

I like the Benno Boost E 10D. They have a few other nice models.

Also pricey, but they are nice.

https://www.bennobikes.com/e-bikes/boost/
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:32 pm

inves76 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:07 pm
corn18 wrote:

So, how was the test? Any decision?
Well, we didn’t get to ride any today. Our daughter is home from college and suddenly got a high fever, so we decided to stay home.

inves76

Post by inves76 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:53 pm

Sorry to hear that. Hope she is fine today

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:36 pm

In today's NY Times: 'E-Bikes Are Having Their Moment. They Deserve It.'
To find out what you get for your money, I tested two different e-bikes on the streets and steep hills of San Francisco over the last two weeks. Both can be ordered online: VanMoof’s $1,998 S3, an internet-connected smart bike, and Ride1Up’s $1,495 700 Series, which is more like a normal bicycle with a battery and motor.

After the tests, I’m totally sold. E-bikes, I concluded, are for people who want to get around quickly with minimal effort — and that’s a large portion of the population. Here’s what you need to know.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/tech ... ve-it.html

Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:04 pm

Those VanMoof's are sweet.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:06 pm

Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:39 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:06 pm
https://lunacycle.com/luna-apex/
Nope, not for $6100

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:49 pm

corn18 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:39 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:06 pm
https://lunacycle.com/luna-apex/
Nope, not for $6100
No interest in cruising your local gravel trail at 50mph?

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:55 pm

CNET posted a video today: 'Buying your first e-bike: What you can expect'' (12 minutes)
https://www.cnet.com/videos/buying-your ... an-expect/
It has some general info plus his experience deciding on a RadRunner bike.
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/ ... ility-bike

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:07 pm

Specialized has a few nicely designed mid drives, especially the new vado sl

Or there's work cycles fr8 ebike if u need to carry 500lbs.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

ebeard

Post by ebeard » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:10 pm

Check https://electrek.co/

They review bikes all the time and do a nice job.
3 core funds. Don't just do something, stand there.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:18 pm

corn18 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:04 pm
Those VanMoof's are sweet.
It's worth deciding if u want a step thru.

Personally I like the step thru if I'm not road riding in spandex. There's a reason nearly everyone in Amsterdam rides a step thru, it's easy to get on and off and park. Specialized como is a nice step thru that won't break the bank, if that's something u want.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:00 am

I love the e-bike concept and many good posts here. Something important to add is that there is a backlog of ordering now for almost all brands ... sales tripled during the pandemic, people are waiting up to multiple months to get their bikes, supply chains in China are not functioning as well, servicing can require appointments only booked weeks in advance, etc. So just a heads up about that, but it's just temporary and good for the industry, overall, in both the mid term and long term.

Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:07 am

kramer wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:00 am
I love the e-bike concept and many good posts here. Something important to add is that there is a backlog of ordering now for almost all brands ... sales tripled during the pandemic, people are waiting up to multiple months to get their bikes, supply chains in China are not functioning as well, servicing can require appointments only booked weeks in advance, etc. So just a heads up about that, but it's just temporary and good for the industry, overall, in both the mid term and long term.
I saw that. Maybe we will rent this season and buy next spring.

dewey

Post by dewey » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:32 am

I have a Trek Verve. Excellent ebike mid motor. But recently bought a comfortable cruiser, rear motor, from the aptly named “Electric Bike Company.” Very reasonable pricing and you get to build the bike the way you want it—including color scheme! Check them out. The model I bought is so comfortable I don’t wear padded bike pants when riding! I’m in a bike club and the rides I take with them are 18-24 miles. The cruiser is heavier than the Trek—but—has a throttle feature that lets you ride the bike without pedaling (otherwise ebikes are pedal assist meaning it works like a regular bike except you don’t pedal as hard). I actually ride both bikes without pedal assist most of the time—maybe for a total of a mile per ride to give me a bit of boost on the hills because I want to maximize my exercise when I ride. I’d gotten away from bike riding for many years because a job change didn’t allow me to bike to and from work. In retirement I saw an ebike and the rest is history. I started riding two years ago and love it more than ever. The ebikes are really fun. I turn 71 this month.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…”

mgensler

Post by mgensler » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:27 am

corn18 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:55 pm
mgensler wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:34 pm
Hello from Loveland! The bike trail that runs through Loveland is where we would ride. Not a lot of hills on the trail, but there is a gigantic hill getting down into Loveland. Where did you buy your bike? We are heading to Bishops bikes in Milford and to the shop in Loveland.
We bought them from a bike shop in Portland, OR a couple of years ago. The only place local that had any at the time was The Garage OTR. They were $5k on up and we didn't want to spend that much.

I think most anything for the trail will be fine. I have friends that ride from Ludlow, KY up to Yellow Springs on the Loveland Trail. They have lunch, charge and return home all in the same day!

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:58 am

Around here, renting would get expensive pretty fast. Buying a mid-range ebike for the type of use being discussed would make sense over the long run. Fortunately, there are some good ones, a couple to consider

RadCity Step Thru
The step thru and long seat post makes it so that anyone can ride this bike. Trust me, people will want to try it out. There are a lot of Rads out there and their technology is holding up well so far. The fact that there are so many also means that you can sometimes find used options. This is not a glam bike but a solid value bike. Step thru is fine for trail type use, large people going off road would want a stiffer frame.

It is rear wheel drive so when you ultimately get a flat, put liners inside and buy gatorskin tires so that it is less likely to happen again. For $1500 it is a lot of ebike. These are heavy bikes and many people appreciate the throttle on a bike like this to help get it going. I know several people with them and they are happy with their purchase. This bike has the quality and proven tech of a pedego without the local dealer network (+) and cost (-).

The OP mentioned cruiser bike style, which to me means single speed. I would only buy that if I was cruising the boardwalk along the ocean, i.e. very flat but you also mention hills. Thus I would not buy the a cruiser style.

If cost is a main driver and you don't care about a rear rack, mud guard or accessories, then the Ride1Up is an option. It has an upright seating position, like a hybrid, but you can get into one for a little over $1,000. The battery on my bike costs as much as this bike and it has a lot going for it with quality motor from Bafang, 10.4 Ah, and throttle. I also like the look of this bike, clean and simple. I have not ridden one though.

I normally recommend buying from a local bike shop. Unfortunately, with ebikes that is not always the best way to shop. Eventually it will be but lots of LBS have been slow to embrace ebikes and the proliferation of brands is making it hard to shops to align with the best value providers. At $500-700 you go to a box store, at $3,000+ you go to a bike store, but in the $1000 to 1500 range you are likely to have to buy online to get a good bike.

Finally, this one probably isn't a fit for OP as the seating position in more like a mountain bike but the Juiced Cross Current S is worth considering for many in this price range. It is a little more, maybe $1,800 but there are sales sometimes. My wife has one and the tech on the thing is pretty impressive. Designed by an engineer and it is obvious. For those interesting is dongles and hacking, you can make the bike fly. For commuting or longer rides, it is hard to beat.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

gubernaculum

Post by gubernaculum » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:06 am

I went with Riese and Muller, supercharger2, 100 mile radius, dual battery system. Yes it's expensive, $8200

69chevy

Post by 69chevy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:50 am

Everyone and their brother is making e-bikes. I don't know a single major bike company that doesn't have at least one e-bike in their lineup now. Then there are all the direct to consumer companies out there. Each have their pluses and minuses.

For me, I just bought a Biktrix (www.biktrix.com) Ultra 1000 e-bike and just took delivery of it about a week ago. It's a pretty slick bike and I've been pretty happy with it. It has one of the most powerfull ebike motors on the market right now - the Bafang Ultra. Biktrix also has a number of other bikes, from full suspension, to rigid frame bikes and cruisers.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:38 am

There are so many e-bike manufacturers and so many types of motors, controllers, batteries, chargers etc. One of the beautiful things about mechanical bicycles is the maintainability. I can get parts for my 25 year old Trek from a multitude of sources at good prices and will be able to keep it going for another 25 years easily. I suspect there will be a huge number of "orphaned" e-bikes in a few years with unobtainable parts due to lack of standardization.

Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:14 am

WhyNotUs wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:58 am
Around here, renting would get expensive pretty fast. Buying a mid-range ebike for the type of use being discussed would make sense over the long run. Fortunately, there are some good ones, a couple to consider

RadCity Step Thru
The step thru and long seat post makes it so that anyone can ride this bike. Trust me, people will want to try it out. There are a lot of Rads out there and their technology is holding up well so far. The fact that there are so many also means that you can sometimes find used options. This is not a glam bike but a solid value bike. Step thru is fine for trail type use, large people going off road would want a stiffer frame.

It is rear wheel drive so when you ultimately get a flat, put liners inside and buy gatorskin tires so that it is less likely to happen again. For $1500 it is a lot of ebike. These are heavy bikes and many people appreciate the throttle on a bike like this to help get it going. I know several people with them and they are happy with their purchase. This bike has the quality and proven tech of a pedego without the local dealer network (+) and cost (-).

The OP mentioned cruiser bike style, which to me means single speed. I would only buy that if I was cruising the boardwalk along the ocean, i.e. very flat but you also mention hills. Thus I would not buy the a cruiser style.

If cost is a main driver and you don't care about a rear rack, mud guard or accessories, then the Ride1Up is an option. It has an upright seating position, like a hybrid, but you can get into one for a little over $1,000. The battery on my bike costs as much as this bike and it has a lot going for it with quality motor from Bafang, 10.4 Ah, and throttle. I also like the look of this bike, clean and simple. I have not ridden one though.

I normally recommend buying from a local bike shop. Unfortunately, with ebikes that is not always the best way to shop. Eventually it will be but lots of LBS have been slow to embrace ebikes and the proliferation of brands is making it hard to shops to align with the best value providers. At $500-700 you go to a box store, at $3,000+ you go to a bike store, but in the $1000 to 1500 range you are likely to have to buy online to get a good bike.

Finally, this one probably isn't a fit for OP as the seating position in more like a mountain bike but the Juiced Cross Current S is worth considering for many in this price range. It is a little more, maybe $1,800 but there are sales sometimes. My wife has one and the tech on the thing is pretty impressive. Designed by an engineer and it is obvious. For those interesting is dongles and hacking, you can make the bike fly. For commuting or longer rides, it is hard to beat.
I like the RadCity bikes. They are definitely on the list for my wife. The more I look at these ebikes, the more I think I might like one, too. I don't think I want a full cruiser like my wife, so I am leaning towards the hybrid types. The Juiced Cross Current S looks like a great option for me. On hot and humid days like today, I would normally not ride my road bike, but if we both had ebikes, we would definitely venture out for a ride today. What great fun!

ThreeBears

Post by ThreeBears » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:53 pm

I bought a Juiced CrossCurrent S2. My only regret is not getting the CrossCurrent X.... mainly for the bigger battery (but it would have been around $700 more... not trivial).

I'd like to average around 20 MPH for 20 miles (10 miles each way). I'm fine with pedaling.

However, with the CCS2, the battery gets pretty low towards the way back home. The bigger battery likely would have solved that.

Anyways, it's still a solid bike.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:33 pm

Really comes down to what battery you bought for your S. My wife goes 40 miles and still has charge left on hers.
ThreeBears wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:53 pm
I bought a Juiced CrossCurrent S2. My only regret is not getting the CrossCurrent X.... mainly for the bigger battery (but it would have been around $700 more... not trivial).

I'd like to average around 20 MPH for 20 miles (10 miles each way). I'm fine with pedaling.

However, with the CCS2, the battery gets pretty low towards the way back home. The bigger battery likely would have solved that.

Anyways, it's still a solid bike.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

Opibus

Post by Opibus » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:54 pm

We purchased from voltbike.ca (now voltbike.com) in 2017 in the Boston area for extremely reasonable prices (~$1500 each). They take some time for delivery with shipping (freight) but it's worth the wait, they were essentially fully assembled.

The two bikes I have are Voltbike Mariner's (https://www.voltbike.com/voltbike-mariner.html), they work great, battery is working out well too. I use one for daily commute to work in Boston (except on the super cold days in winter). I charge the battery at work. The large tires reduce the range and speed for sure, but allow better traction in snow and sand (rare uses) so I were to purchase again, I would pick one of the other choices.

One thing I realized researching a lot of these companies is that they are generally made in China and can be super cheap to produce (less than $1,000), but the Warranty is what makes a big difference in the cost. Voltbike and other similar companies are a decent compromise.

I also spent a LOT of time on https://electricbikereview.com . The guy personally reviews a TON of bikes and does a fantastic job. That's how I found voltbike!

cyclist

Post by cyclist » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:18 pm

Unless you enjoy tinkering, what you buy is less important than who you buy it from. With rare exceptions, most of the motors and electronics are imported from China. They have great value for what they cost, but quality control can be uneven.

If the price seems too good to be true... you know how that usually ends. Well-designed lithium battery packs, motors, and control electronics add a tidy sum to the cost of the bike - and for you to want to really ride it, the bike itself will need to be of reasonable quality in the first place.

Try before you buy if you can, but do plan ahead for the day when your ebike will need maintenance. Don’t assume that typical bike shops and typical bike shop mechanics know how to diagnose and repair ebike issues. Deal with a shop that focuses on ebikes if you can, and one that does repairs on these systems in-house (or has a solid loaner program.)

Cyclist

camillus

Post by camillus » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:58 am

I have a Radwagon from Rad Power Bikes. After 11 months I have 1500 miles on it. Many parts are entry level, but I am willing to deal with that and upgrade along the way. I recommend the company. In the 11th month they sent me a ~$400 replacement rear wheel/motor on 12-month warranty. I haven't driven to work in 3 months.

My parents have a Rad City and Rad City Step Thru. My wife has a Radrunner.

hidradenitis

Post by hidradenitis » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:24 am

I have a Juiced Bikes Crosscurrent S and am happy with my commute.

Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:27 pm

UPDATE from OP:

I found a Pedego Interceptor step through on Craigslist that was nearby. Just picked it up. 2016 model with 1,718 miles. Paid $1,600 for it and it is in great shape. New 15aH battery, too. The guy I bought it from replaced it with a new Interceptor without the step through.

I just went for a 12 mile ride which included going up (and down) the steep hill to our new house. Riding on the flats made me giggle like a school girl. What fun. I looked like a moron going 20mph on a step through cruiser, but I didn't care. Midway through I tackled the hill to my house. I have no idea how steep it is, but I can't pedal up it with my road bike. I hit the hill and slowed waaaayyyy down. Then I pedaled really hard and that sucked. Then I remembered to downshift and I upped the PAS to 5 and off we went. Not fast, but it lugged my 250lbs fat arse up a hill I can't pedal up. Then I remembered I have a throttle and I stopped pedaling and just let it take me up without pedaling. Great fun! After the ride, the battery was still showing full so I think it might last a long while in pedal assist. I used PAS 3 most of the time because I liked hauling butt, but PAS 1 was fine, too. PAS 5 is scary fast. I think I hit 24 mph on level ground and then got scared. It's a great bike, but the cruiser platform with step through and oversized tires in not the stiffest or most stable platform (at least in my initial impressions compared to a road bike).

My wife has not test ridden one yet. She's been doing the passive aggressive avoidance because she thinks its stupid so I'll not go for the test ride unless you really want me to thing. So I just went and bought this one. The cadence assist is going to take a lot for her to get used to, so this one might not be for her. I think a newer torque assist would work better for her. But we'll see. If she doesn't like this one, I'll ride it and get her a fancier drivetrain.

Anyway, I think I am going to have a hard time keeping my road bike now. Just sitting upright and being able to see everything ahead made it so much nicer than the road bike. I love it!

Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:14 am

OP again.

Well, color me surprised. My wife took it for a test ride yesterday and after some fitting and getting used to it, she asked me when I was getting one for me? She wants to go riding together right now, so I think I have permission to buy me an ebike.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:24 pm

corn18 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:14 am
OP again.

Well, color me surprised. My wife took it for a test ride yesterday and after some fitting and getting used to it, she asked me when I was getting one for me? She wants to go riding together right now, so I think I have permission to buy me an ebike.
Nice. Happy it worked out. Did corporate finance (spouse) give you a dollar cap? :D

The e-bike world is your oyster. Anything to get outside more. Bikes, hot tubs and pop up pools are selling like hotcakes.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:26 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:24 pm
corn18 wrote:
OP again.

Nice. Happy it worked out. Did corporate finance (spouse) give you a dollar cap? :D

The e-bike world is your oyster. Anything to get outside more. Bikes, hot tubs and pop up pools are selling like hotcakes.
CINCLANTHOME gave authorization to acquire one for me. I had to get a new one, though. And a platinum edition for $4k.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:00 pm

corn18 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:26 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
corn18 wrote:
OP again.

CINCLANTHOME gave authorization to acquire one for me. I had to get a new one, though. And a platinum edition for $4k.

corn18,

So she is taking the old one and you are buying a new one. Am I correct?

KlangFool

Topic Author
corn18

Post by corn18 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:22 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:00 pm
corn18 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:26 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
corn18 wrote:
OP again.

corn18,

So she is taking the old one and you are buying a new one. Am I correct?

KlangFool
Correct. I couldn’t find a used one for me. She let me know about it when I got home today. I did buy her a new seat so she didn’t have to sit on other peoples butt goo.