How important is a light colored interior for your car in Florida? What about Apple CarPlay?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
R2D2

How important is a light colored interior for your car in Florida? What about Apple CarPlay?

Post by R2D2 »

I'm moving from the Northeast to Florida and I was going to buy a used car.

Since Florida gets hot in the summer, I was thinking that it'd be good to a get light-colored car with a light-colored interior. Well, it's easy to find white or silver cars, but so many cars have black interiors!!

So how important is it to get a light-colored exterior in Florida? How important is a light-colored interior? If I have a black interior and I'm wearing shorts, am I going to burn my legs every time I sit down?

Finally, I rented a car once that had Apple CarPlay and I loved it. I was able to view google maps on the car's display and I was able to take phone calls very easily. Now I'm finding out that most cars don't have Carplay, and instead I'll have to mount my phone somewhere in order to see a map.

How big a deal is this to you? How much would you be willing to pay to have Carplay? (In most cases, it's not even an option to pay extra for it; I'm just trying to gauge how much people value it.)
livesoft

Re: How important is a light colored interior for your car in Florida? What about Apple CarPlay?

Post by livesoft »

I live in a hot climate. I wanted a light interior to my car. I think black looks great, but I won't have it. When I bought my car, there were no light-interior models on the lot, but the dealer went and got one from about 50 miles away, so white on outside, beige on inside. Whether one really needs light-colored on the outside, I won't die on that hill be because I've had cars with dark exteriors with no issues, but all those dark exteriors cars had light interiors: beige or gray leather. And tinted windows to the maximum legal darkness.

My car has Android Auto and it is two years old. I have no problem with using Google maps and voice via the in-dash display, so I would think you have to keep looking if you want compatibility with your phone. There are plenty of cars and models out there. Plus Google maps is so much better than any manufacturer-supplied navigation that you might have to update yourself.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Brianmcg321

Re: How important is a light colored interior for your car in Florida? What about Apple CarPlay?

Post by Brianmcg321 »

The biggest difference would be getting your windows tinted.

My back windshield and sides are 15% and my front windshield is 50% in my truck. Before my truck felt like a greenhouse. Now it's barely over outside temp when I leave it parked outside.

And yes front windshield tinting is illegal, but in my state they don't really care. Up north they will sit you by the side of the road and make you peel it off.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
tiburblium

Post by tiburblium »

+1 on Window tinting

You can also buy Carplay/Android Auto after market headunits or retro-fit modules for newer cars. I installed a Sony XAV1000 in my previous car, a 2001 BMW, and have installed a bimmertech retrofit module in my current 2014 BMW both were good options
Gill

Post by Gill »

Live in Florida year round. Have two white cars, one with black interior and one with light interior. Don’t notice any difference between the two. Air conditioning has really solved the problem that once existed.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
Topic Author
R2D2

Post by R2D2 »

Gill wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:03 pm Live in Florida year round. Have two white cars, one with black interior and one with light interior. Don’t notice any difference between the two. Air conditioning has really solved the problem that once existed.
Gill
Wow, good to know. Thanks Gill!

And thanks for the suggestions from others re. tinting.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I would not (did not) have a dark car or a black interior in Florida.

The exception would be if you can leave the windows down when you leave the car. That will depend on your personal preferences, the crime rate where you live, and the weather (sudden thundershowers).

With a dark interior, in the summer you will need a towel to cover the seat if you are wearing shorts and the interior is not cloth.

I think Gill must be parking in a parking garage or wearing long pants. :D
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

If you plan on parking in the sun for awhile, a decent REFLECTIVE sun shield on the dash can work wonders.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_1790 ... zgQAvD_BwE
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

R2D2 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:34 pm I'm moving from the Northeast to Florida and I was going to buy a used car.

Since Florida gets hot in the summer, I was thinking that it'd be good to a get light-colored car with a light-colored interior. Well, it's easy to find white or silver cars, but so many cars have black interiors!!

So how important is it to get a light-colored exterior in Florida? How important is a light-colored interior? If I have a black interior and I'm wearing shorts, am I going to burn my legs every time I sit down?

Finally, I rented a car once that had Apple CarPlay and I loved it. I was able to view google maps on the car's display and I was able to take phone calls very easily. Now I'm finding out that most cars don't have Carplay, and instead I'll have to mount my phone somewhere in order to see a map.

How big a deal is this to you? How much would you be willing to pay to have Carplay? (In most cases, it's not even an option to pay extra for it; I'm just trying to gauge how much people value it.)
Neither of these are important to me - at all.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

R2D2 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:34 pmNow I'm finding out that most cars don't have Carplay, and instead I'll have to mount my phone somewhere in order to see a map.

https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/

I don't run IOS so CarPlay is less useful than Android Auto, but CarPlay is really, really widely available. Even Toyota finally came around. Which cars were you looking at that don't have it even as an option?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Trader Joe wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:23 pm
R2D2 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:34 pm I'm moving from the Northeast to Florida and I was going to buy a used car.

Neither of these are important to me - at all.
5yrs in Houston with a dark grey car with black interior; it never even crossed my mind.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Mythbusters covered this (if you enjoy such things) with identical cars and painted with different exteriors colors. Ad you'd expect, the black car got about 10 degrees hotter than the white car.

Autotrader did the same experiment and found the black car reached 130 while the same car in white was only 113 in the Georgia sun.

No clue about the interior but the same science should apply.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Many years of dark interior and exterior in Arizona. All about tinting for cabin comfort. Color doesn’t matter.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

My Lexus pushes cooled air through the seats. I think there was an entire 20 page thread on that in the past.
BruinBones

Post by BruinBones »

I've lived in hot climate in Southern California and in humid climate in southern Virginia, so I dismissed it when my wife, who had been living in Florida, had warned me about dark car interior upon moving to hot & humid Florida. However, I learned that every little bit helps, even those reflective shades you put behind your windshield.
Also, I am fine with just Bluetooth technology that connects to my phone so I can listen to podcasts and make phone calls.
LFS1234

Post by LFS1234 »

White cars. Go onto any parking lot on a hot sunny day and feel the roofs. The white cars will be cool to the touch. The dark cars will be hot to the touch. Silver might be somewhere in between. I strongly prefer white cars in hot climates. I suspect the exterior color is much more important than the interior color (except at times when the interior is directly exposed to solar radiation), but you can test this theory in a used car lot.

Will you be parking under cover or in the sun? This makes a big difference. If your car is exposed to direct solar radiation in a hot climate while not in use, the AC will have a lot of work to do in cooling down the (car) body before it can get around to getting you comfortable. If the car is garaged or in a carport, the car body is already cool(er) and the AC has a lot less work to do.

Some car makes/models have much better AC than others.

Will you be dressing up or dressing down? Shorts and t-shirts are comfortable where 3-piece suits are not.

In my view, window tinting is a bad solution to a problem that can be resolved in much better ways.

Looking through tinted windows at night is like wearing sunglasses at night. You are reducing your ability to see out, and this makes a difference especially at night. Valid reasons for dark glass might include If you have an SUV/station wagon and need dark glass in the back in order to conceal your luggage, or if you are a celebrity who doesn't want to recognized in public. Unless such a reason applies to you, tinted glass may not make sense.

It should be noted that glass coating technology has progressed to a point where specialty low-E coatings having only a very slight tint drastically reduce the transmission of radiated heat. Thus, it should be possible to have drastic heat reduction without a dark tint, using such coatings. If I were looking for a new car, I'd be looking at ones using that technology.
Gill

Post by Gill »

retiredjg wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:12 pm.

I think Gill must be parking in a parking garage or wearing long pants. :D
Have hardly worn long pants since I retired.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
Topic Author
R2D2

Post by R2D2 »

dukeblue219 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:24 pm https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/

I don't run IOS so CarPlay is less useful than Android Auto, but CarPlay is really, really widely available. Even Toyota finally came around. Which cars were you looking at that don't have it even as an option?
I was looking at a 2018 RAV4 or a Mazda CX-5.

Neither got CarPlay until 2019, and that was apparently a bad year for the RAV4 (according to ConsumerReports).

So I might get a used 2019 or 2020 CX-5, but they all seem to have black interiors!
midareff

Post by midareff »

Also wear T shirts and shorts all the time in Florida since retiring. Long pants and a shirt with a collar are like formal wear now. If the car will be parked outside avoid leather... the heat will dry and crack it over time. If garaged no problem. Extra tint to highest legal recommended.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Both my cars have medium or light interiors but now I find that's almost impossible to find. Both of mine are former fleet cars and now all the fleet cars I can find have black interiors. Even not considering heat that's disappointing.

I don't know where to find air conditioner ratings either. My one car has a powerful air conditioner and the other very inadequate (and yes both are working correctly.)

Tinting seems like a bad idea since windows are already tinted somewhat from the factory and visibility is affected by further tinting.
themesrob

Post by themesrob »

we made the same move from the NE to Florida. Best purchase we made when we moved here was a white car with a tan interior. It's a huge difference, even without tinting.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Hawaii (heat and salt air)
Arizona (heat!)
Light exterior colors
Light interior colors
Tinted windows
Absolutely no sunroofs
No leather (dry and cracks)
Reflecting windshield shade (very common in Hawaii)

Columbia sun wear long sleeve shirts/pants for weekly golf and yard"work".
Shorts and tank tops depending on what your legs look like. :shock:

j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

livesoft wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:10 pm My Lexus pushes cooled air through the seats. I think there was an entire 20 page thread on that in the past.
I recently test drove a Lincoln Navigator with this feature.
A first for me and DW.
Wow!!!
I imagine some cars and auto makers do this feature better than others (another thread/post?)
Not sure of Lexus or the Mercedes GLS line for A/C and heat in the seats?

A "gotta have" on my next car/truck/suv. (heat and cool).!
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

Long time Houstonian. White cars are definitely cooler than darker cars. If you park in your garage and have a garage where you work, it isn't a big deal. If you park outside and need to get into your car during the afternoon, it will be less horribly hot if it is white or a light color. Once you've driven for about 5 minutes, there is no difference. Light colored cars are also involve in fewer accidents, so there is a small safety advantage. But black and dark colors are definitely the fashion these days.

The interior color matters a lot more for leather than cloth seats. You won't really notice much difference if it isn't leather. You won't notice much difference if you aren't wearing shorts. It's bare skin on dark leather that is uncomfortable. For the rest of it, the difference isn't that big.

Window tinting definitely helps. I would recommend the max legal tinting where you'll live. I definitely recommend against windshield tint or anything illegal.

When parked, having a reflective windshield shade makes a huge difference...probably more that everything else mentioned above, especially if you park facing into the sun.

Cooled seats help. The don't mitigate the initial heat shock or the painful skin on dark leather contact, but they make things feel better sooner.

For people really sensitive, you can get a remote starter that lets you pre-start your car and cool it down before you get in. This is less useful than pre-heaters are for cool climates. Most people remote start their car at home before work, which is early enough for coldness to be a problem but not usually heat. Most people aren't in a good position to pre-start their car for a meaningful period of time before leaving work.

Honestly, the most painful part is touching things like the steering wheel. The hot car is generally just uncomfortable, but extremely hot steering wheels can be downright painful.

Be wary of parking spots in the shade under trees. They are usually a good idea, but sometimes they can be home to flocks of birds that will decorate your car horribly. Don't ask me how I know about this or how I had to spend over an hour at a car wash one night.

Hot cars are a nuisance, but not nearly as bad as having to scrape ice off of a cold car or shovel snow off of a driveway.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:54 am
livesoft wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:10 pm My Lexus pushes cooled air through the seats. I think there was an entire 20 page thread on that in the past.
I recently test drove a Lincoln Navigator with this feature.
A first for me and DW.
Wow!!!
I imagine some cars and auto makers do this feature better than others (another thread/post?)
Not sure of Lexus or the Mercedes GLS line for A/C and heat in the seats?

A "gotta have" on my next car/truck/suv. (heat and cool).!
I test drove a couple Mazda CX-5's pre-COVID19. I believe a couple of the upper trim levels offer the seat ventilation (most CX-5's seem to have black interiors.) It was winter and I didn't try it but sounded interesting. Makes more sense with a black interior.

I have been curious about the light vs. dark colored cars for a while so I'm glad I found this thread. :happy
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

The window tinting matters much more than the interior color. The exterior color is not very significant. A good a/c system matters most.

If the vehicle can be garaged, do it. If the car is parked in the sun, opening the doors for a minute before entering, if possible, helps a lot.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Beehave wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:21 am The window tinting matters much more than the interior color. The exterior color is not very significant. A good a/c system matters most.

If the vehicle can be garaged, do it. If the car is parked in the sun, opening the doors for a minute before entering, if possible, helps a lot.
Good to know.

FWIW, dermatologists often recommend car window tinting for UV skin protection. :happy
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:26 am
Beehave wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:21 am The window tinting matters much more than the interior color. The exterior color is not very significant. A good a/c system matters most.

Good to know.

FWIW, dermatologists often recommend car window tinting for UV skin protection. :happy
There are UV-blocking films for car windows that don't signficantly block visibile light, although it's still annoying that car manufacturers don't build that same technology into the windows. I don't think anybody would use the traditional "tinting" films now, since they block some visible light.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

R2D2 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:25 am
dukeblue219 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:24 pm https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/available-models/

I was looking at a 2018 RAV4 or a Mazda CX-5.

Neither got CarPlay until 2019, and that was apparently a bad year for the RAV4 (according to ConsumerReports).

So I might get a used 2019 or 2020 CX-5, but they all seem to have black interiors!
FWIW - our CX5 has vented seats.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

"The window tinting matters much more than the interior color."
This is great information - does anyone know which window tints may work best that are nearly clear in color?
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

smitcat wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:06 pm

"The window tinting matters much more than the interior color."
This is great information - does anyone know which window tints may work best that are nearly clear in color?
I am curious about this as well, especially because each state has its own legal limits for tint percentages, so deep tint can be an issue for interstate driving. (Some states insist that the tint be within their legal limits and others require only that out-of-state vehicles conform to their own home-state's limits. See: https://forum.officer.com/forum/public- ... ed-windows.)

I've heard that ceramic tints enhance the UV and temperature reduction of tinting, but have no experience with them or any knowledge about how much tint they require to be effective. The ceramic tints are allegedly not only good for UV and temp control, but also protect against window chipping and breakage. Allegedly, the ceramic tinting is also expensive. Again, I have no expertise, so investigate carefully, and also, anyone with knowledge about this please share!
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

My mother bought a black on black RAV4 in 97 and drove it in S.Fl for 12 years without an issue. She had some medium tint put in which probably helped. The problem with dark tint is driving at night. Or more about backing up. You have to roll down the windows to see into the rear view mirrors.
fallingeggs

Post by fallingeggs »

Perhaps not applicable to the OP's car of choice today, but remote start via one's cell phone REALLY makes this a moot point. If I start the car just a few minutes before I arrive, it is a significant difference. In about 5 or 7 minutes, I step into a 70 degree car no matter how bloody hot it is outside.

(Live in Miami, so I know about hot cars.)
MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM »

I'm glad to see this thread. I've been looking online at potential vehicles to purchase in the fall but have been frustrated by the limited availability of any color other than black. We have always had light (silver mostly) cars with light interiors, mostly leather (one has pleather). The vehicle I'm looking at has cooled front and rear seats, and also a very good quality pleather. So, this thread has convinced me it's OK to get black pleather. Black also hides dirt better. Remote start maybe, but not a requirement. We won't use this car during the summer in Florida, and it mostly stays in an air conditioned garage except when out during the day. If we are uncomfortable, we will consider window tint, but will not add it right away due to visibility issues.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

MarkerFM wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:47 pm I'm glad to see this thread. I've been looking online at potential vehicles to purchase in the fall but have been frustrated by the limited availability of any color other than black. We have always had light (silver mostly) cars with light interiors, mostly leather (one has pleather). The vehicle I'm looking at has cooled front and rear seats, and also a very good quality pleather. So, this thread has convinced me it's OK to get black pleather. Black also hides dirt better. Remote start maybe, but not a requirement. We won't use this car during the summer in Florida, and it mostly stays in an air conditioned garage except when out during the day. If we are uncomfortable, we will consider window tint, but will not add it right away due to visibility issues.
Yes, especially if you have a black dog who likes to go for car rides! :happy

My current car has very light beige seats and gets VERY dirty with dogs (and in general). Really shows the dirt so this is a factor in future car purchases.
MJS

Post by MJS »

Light dashboards bounce glare into my eyes -- perhaps a function of height, but doubly painful when driving towards the sun or even low winter sunlight.

+1 for light exterior, light seats and basic window tinting.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I had a black car with black interior for 25 years here in the upper Midwest. After getting tired of burning my hands and legs all the time in the summer, I learned a way to avoid it. I just kept a white towel and leather gloves in my car during the summer. If I was getting out for an extended period of time, I placed the white towel over the driver seat. (White reflects most sunlight) When I came back, I took off the towel, put on the gloves (so I could hang onto the hot steering wheel) and took off. Generally in a minute or two I could take off the gloves for the rest of the trip.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Go to any parking lot on a hot sunny summer day. Put your hand down on white colored car hood or roof for 15-20 seconds. You will not get burned. Do so on a very dark color, especially black paint, and your skin will actually burn. The difference in temperature is significant.

In the South there is a good reason so many cars are white with light interiors. The hotter the car the harder the AC has to work to cool it down. btw - a white paint job on a car will last and remain in good shape approx 10-20 times longer than some other colors in the South. Red and silver are the shortest life paint colors in the South.

Getting the car glass tinted is very important. Many new cars (especially luxury brands) sold in the South are routinely tinted by the dealer when they are put out on the lot.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jabberwockOG wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:21 pm Go to any parking lot on a hot sunny summer day. Put your hand down on white colored car hood or roof for 15-20 seconds. You will not get burned. Do so on a very dark color, especially black paint, and your skin will actually burn. The difference in temperature is significant.

In the South there is a good reason so many cars are white with light interiors. The hotter the car the harder the AC has to work to cool it down. btw - a white paint job on a car will last and remain in good shape approx 10-20 times longer than some other colors in the South. Red and silver are the shortest life paint colors in the South.

Getting the car glass tinted is very important. Many new cars (especially luxury brands) sold in the South are routinely tinted by the dealer when they are put out on the lot.
Interesting. I would have thought silver would last as long as white. Maybe because it is metallic? I saw an article that suggested both white and silver would be cooler vs. black but your comment may imply the paint might degrade, peel, etc (?).

I did have a silver Toyota a long time ago that had some paint issues but thought car makers would have improved on that by now. :|
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

jabberwockOG wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:21 pm Go to any parking lot on a hot sunny summer day. Put your hand down on white colored car hood or roof for 15-20 seconds. You will not get burned. Do so on a very dark color, especially black paint, and your skin will actually burn. The difference in temperature is significant.
This can be observed less painfully by watching how much faster snow or ice disappears from dark cars than white cars. That color/reflection/solar radiation thing is really significant.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

atikovi wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:10 pmThe problem with dark tint is driving at night. Or more about backing up. You have to roll down the windows to see into the rear view mirrors.
I do not believe such a dark tint for the front windows is legal in the places that I have been anyways. In any event, I have never ever had that problem with any car that I have driven at night which includes my cars, rental cars, friends' cars, company cars.

And there is a noticeably difference in the tints of the non-front windows and front windows of many cars on the road.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

MJS wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:15 pm Light dashboards bounce glare into my eyes -- perhaps a function of height, but doubly painful when driving towards the sun or even low winter sunlight.
All my light-colored interiors have really a two-tone interior. The top of the dash is dark in order to prevent internal glare on the windshield. Check it out and one will see this. There is a whole science to avoiding such internal glare.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:44 pm

Interesting. I would have thought silver would last as long as white. Maybe because it is metallic? I saw an article that suggested both white and silver would be cooler vs. black but your comment may imply the paint might degrade, peel, etc (?).

I did have a silver Toyota a long time ago that had some paint issues but thought car makers would have improved on that by now. :|

Red paints fail because the material used for red pigment is extremely susceptible to fading in UV light.

There are lots of types of silver paint. Silver that is primarily pigment based can last, but silver that is primarily metallic flake is short lived. Metallic silver paint gets very hot, especially in the South, because it has almost no pigment, consisting instead of finely ground metallic flakes suspended in clear acrylic. In the hot sun the metal flake particles get so hot that the acrylic cooks causing the paint to lose adhesion and fail relatively quickly. Over time all paints, including silver paints have improved mostly due to better quality acrylic in the paint that resists heat and UV.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

jabberwockOG:

"Red paints fail because the material used for red pigment is extremely susceptible to fading in UV light.

There are lots of types of silver paint. Silver that is primarily pigment based can last, but silver that is primarily metallic flake is short lived. Metallic silver paint gets very hot, especially in the South, because it has almost no pigment, consisting instead of finely ground metallic flakes suspended in clear acrylic. In the hot sun the metal flake particles get so hot that the acrylic cooks causing the paint to lose adhesion and fail relatively quickly. Over time all paints, including silver paints have improved mostly due to better quality acrylic in the paint that resists heat and UV."

Very interesting re: the silver and makes me think white may be a better choice for a future car. Thanks!