Best watch for $5,000+

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 63733
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Best watch for $5,000+

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:00 pm

This thread is a continuation of Best watch for around $5,000? [Archived].

Use this thread to discuss watches with a value of $5,000 or greater. Discussions must be personal and actionable, meaning:

- You already own a $5,000+ watch
- You are considering the purchase of a watch with a value of $5,000 or greater

What this thread is not:
- A general discussion about wearing a watch
- A lifestyle discussion regarding the purchase of a large dollar value watch
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

mak1277
Posts: 1415
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by mak1277 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:41 pm

Hopefully this gives the thread new life! Thanks.

Anyone have good recommendations for the $5k - 10k price range besides the usual suspects (Rolex, Omega, Grand Seiko)?

sp0704
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:34 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by sp0704 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:54 pm

With regard to holding value and overall robustness, nothing in that range will likely do better than a Rolex.

mak1277
Posts: 1415
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by mak1277 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:26 pm

sp0704 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:54 pm
With regard to holding value and overall robustness, nothing in that range will likely do better than a Rolex.
Oh I know, I love my Submariner. This won't be much of a thread if we just talk about Rolex though.

For me, aside from the three brands I mentioned, I'd love a Cartier Santos or JLC Reverso.

hunoraut
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun May 31, 2020 11:39 am

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by hunoraut » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:47 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:41 pm
Hopefully this gives the thread new life! Thanks.

Anyone have good recommendations for the $5k - 10k price range besides the usual suspects (Rolex, Omega, Grand Seiko)?
breguet... glashuette original.... IWC is probably the stalwart in this price range. but it's in a sort of no-mans-land as youre tantilizing close to a Lange Saxonia or VC's Patrimony.

but really at this point, extrinsic qualities takes over the intrinsic (e.g. case material, 3rd party movements), and ones taste takes over objectivity, and the answers to "best watch" is as instructive as the answers to "best painting"

gouverneur
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:25 am

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by gouverneur » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:49 pm

JLC (Jaeger LeCoultre, for the non-watch folk) is excellent. I've owned one for about eight years and it's my daily wear watch. Very different aesthetics than Rolex, JLC is much dressier while Rolex is known primarily for steel sports models like dive watches or chronographs.

robert_b
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 4:44 pm
Location: Europe

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by robert_b » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:48 pm

Best watch for me at the moment Omega Horloge Seamaster Aqua Terra 41mm Olympic Games Collection Tokyo 2020.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omeg ... 2412103001

User avatar
HomerJ
Posts: 14724
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by HomerJ » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:09 pm

robert_b wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:48 pm
Best watch for me at the moment Omega Horloge Seamaster Aqua Terra 41mm Olympic Games Collection Tokyo 2020.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omeg ... 2412103001
That's quite a mouthful...

But it might be an interesting collector's item someday since there won't be a 2020 Olympics...

Are they coming out with another one next year with 2021 in the name?
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”

New Providence
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:10 am

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by New Providence » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:15 pm

My plan was to buy a Rolex Milgauss with my bonus dough.

So in March took the dough and put on a big bet on the market. It is June now and I have no dough and no Rolex Milgauss :oops:

7eight9
Posts: 1031
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by 7eight9 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:16 pm

HomerJ wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:09 pm
robert_b wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:48 pm
Best watch for me at the moment Omega Horloge Seamaster Aqua Terra 41mm Olympic Games Collection Tokyo 2020.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watch-omeg ... 2412103001
That's quite a mouthful...

But it might be an interesting collector's item someday since there won't be a 2020 Olympics...

Are they coming out with another one next year with 2021 in the name?
The 2021 Olympics in Tokyo will still be called 'Tokyo 2020' the IOC tells me.
https://twitter.com/westonblasi/status/ ... cle_inline

The Opening Ceremony of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 will now be held on 23 July 2021.
https://www.olympic.org/tokyo-2020
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

Coburn
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:46 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by Coburn » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:20 pm

hunoraut wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:47 pm
...as youre tantilizing close to a Lange Saxonia or VC's Patrimony
Both of these approach 12-15k which leaves the 6-11k underbelly.

Consider Zenith and Blancpain in addition to the Breguet, GO, and JLC mentioned before. IWC used to be a contender.

I'd steer clear of Cartier, but both the Santos and Reverso...due to their rectangular/square shape need to be worn before buying.

User avatar
eye.surgeon
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:19 pm
Location: California

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by eye.surgeon » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:53 pm

I'd suggest a classic Casio G-Shock 5600 and $4950 in your pocket. And this coming from a guy wearing a submariner that I wish I'd never bought.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

hunoraut
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun May 31, 2020 11:39 am

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by hunoraut » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:58 pm

Coburn wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:20 pm
hunoraut wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:47 pm
...as youre tantilizing close to a Lange Saxonia or VC's Patrimony
Both of these approach 12-15k which leaves the 6-11k underbelly
Luxury goods pricing don't cluster at linear scale.

Subcompact cars might be $20k-$30k, but exotic cars can stretch from $200k-$300k and be considered class competitors.

I do think $5k is the sweet spot, but if one is willing to spend $10k, it's worth considering the leap to get into one of the "holy trinity" of horology. :sharebeer

sp0704
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:34 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by sp0704 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:37 pm

hunoraut wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:58 pm
Coburn wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:20 pm
hunoraut wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:47 pm
...as youre tantilizing close to a Lange Saxonia or VC's Patrimony
Both of these approach 12-15k which leaves the 6-11k underbelly
Luxury goods pricing don't cluster at linear scale.

Subcompact cars might be $20k-$30k, but exotic cars can stretch from $200k-$300k and be considered class competitors.

I do think $5k is the sweet spot, but if one is willing to spend $10k, it's worth considering the leap to get into one of the "holy trinity" of horology. :sharebeer
What holy Trinity of horology is available at 10k? Those watches are typically considered to be tens of thousands. Watches that are 10k and under are considered generally pedestrian in that there are a lot of them out there, they are typically easily accessible (except a stainless Rolex), and many can afford them.

02nz
Posts: 4632
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by 02nz » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:53 pm

eye.surgeon wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:53 pm
I'd suggest a classic Casio G-Shock 5600 and $4950 in your pocket. And this coming from a guy wearing a submariner that I wish I'd never bought.
Ha, I was about to say Apple Watch and $4700.

User avatar
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 63733
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:06 pm

Please stay on-topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
corn18
Posts: 1700
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 6:24 am

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by corn18 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:46 pm

My daily wear right now is a Rolex DBlue 126660. This is the newer one with the wider bracelet. I had the older one but the narrow bracelet looked goofy and the watch flopped around a lot. It is a beast. I like it because the blue face and size are what I wanted. Sub is too small. I think the Sea Dweller 50th 126600 is a perfect watch. Bigger than a sub but not as gigantic as the DBlue.

My favorite expensive watch is still the ALS 1 moon watch. Mid price is the JLC Reverso duo face. Lower price is Omega Speedmaster and Grand Seiko. Best value is Citizen. Watch I wear the most is a G-Shock.
Don't do something, just stand there!

hunoraut
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun May 31, 2020 11:39 am

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by hunoraut » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:48 pm

sp0704 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:37 pm
What holy Trinity of horology is available at 10k? Those watches are typically considered to be tens of thousands. Watches that are 10k and under are considered generally pedestrian in that there are a lot of them out there, they are typically easily accessible (except a stainless Rolex), and many can afford them.
The "leap" here being a jump to 15k for VC of the AP/PP/VC trio. (I put ALS in that peer group and find them more compelling).

A large delta on paper, but as already stated, shopping in this ballpark -- mid range luxury / tier above omegas and tudors -- is not done on the basis of hundreds to few thousands, in the same way one doesn't shop exotic cars on basis of tens of thousands.

My point being that 5-10k is not a great place on the pricing curve. Not more compelling than what you can get at 3k-5k, but not as interesting as you can get starting at the 10s...

rockstar
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:51 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by rockstar » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:08 pm

If I was going to buy an expensive watch, I'd get a Patek Philippe otherwise I'd wear an Apple Watch.

https://www.patek.com/en/collection/all-models

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 10236
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:05 pm

rockstar wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:08 pm
If I was going to buy an expensive watch, I'd get a Patek Philippe otherwise I'd wear an Apple Watch.

https://www.patek.com/en/collection/all-models
Ah, yes, Patek Philippe.

Maybe we (those following along who may want to purchase someday) could increase the amount from $5k to, what? That would account for general inflation and also however fine watches tended to change in cost.

Another thought for a nice watch, if one doesn't want something you'll see everywhere (so to speak) would be Vacherin Constantin.
Nice history history there.

https://www.vacheron-constantin.com/en2/home.html

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

keepingitsimple
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:20 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by keepingitsimple » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:20 pm

hunoraut wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:48 pm
sp0704 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:37 pm
What holy Trinity of horology is available at 10k? Those watches are typically considered to be tens of thousands. Watches that are 10k and under are considered generally pedestrian in that there are a lot of them out there, they are typically easily accessible (except a stainless Rolex), and many can afford them.
The "leap" here being a jump to 15k for VC of the AP/PP/VC trio. (I put ALS in that peer group and find them more compelling).

A large delta on paper, but as already stated, shopping in this ballpark -- mid range luxury / tier above omegas and tudors -- is not done on the basis of hundreds to few thousands, in the same way one doesn't shop exotic cars on basis of tens of thousands.

My point being that 5-10k is not a great place on the pricing curve. Not more compelling than what you can get at 3k-5k, but not as interesting as you can get starting at the 10s...
Options in the 5-10K can become broader if one is open to pre-owned watches from reputable dealers /re-sellers such as crown and caliber, etc. (not affiliated with them, that’s just a top of mind reference).

User avatar
Sandi_k
Posts: 1321
Joined: Sat May 16, 2015 11:55 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by Sandi_k » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:18 am

mak1277 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:41 pm
Hopefully this gives the thread new life! Thanks.

Anyone have good recommendations for the $5k - 10k price range besides the usual suspects (Rolex, Omega, Grand Seiko)?
Glashutte.

I bought my husband an Omega Seamaster - 38.5 mm Skyfall, a couple of years ago when he semi-retired (because aren't you supposed to get a watch when you retire?). It's awesome, a true thing of beauty.

But I have to admit that the retro Glashutte watches are the next up on the list, should he want another watch of quality construction.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/glashutte- ... new-dials/

mak1277
Posts: 1415
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by mak1277 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:29 am

Coburn wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:20 pm
hunoraut wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:47 pm
...as youre tantilizing close to a Lange Saxonia or VC's Patrimony
Both of these approach 12-15k which leaves the 6-11k underbelly.

Consider Zenith and Blancpain in addition to the Breguet, GO, and JLC mentioned before. IWC used to be a contender.

I'd steer clear of Cartier, but both the Santos and Reverso...due to their rectangular/square shape need to be worn before buying.
Both the Santos & Reverso fit my wrist like a glove. One of them will likely be my next watch. Either that or a vintage Datejust. Either that or a ALS 1815 up/down. Either that or... ha

Oddibe McDowell
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:40 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by Oddibe McDowell » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:54 am

eye.surgeon wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:53 pm
I'd suggest a classic Casio G-Shock 5600 and $4950 in your pocket. And this coming from a guy wearing a submariner that I wish I'd never bought.
Eye Surgeon - I hear you! I own and still love my Sub, but don't wear it sometimes as I don't like people knowing I'm wearing a "Rolex." In that sense I do have a little buyer's remorse at times.

Not sure how closely you look at this stuff - but assuming your Sub is a stainless steel one (either 5 digit for 6 digit) - chances are you can sell it now for at least as much if not more than you paid for it. Might be an option if you are wanting to unload it / get your money back. That's one nice thing about a Rolex - they tend to hold their value.

User avatar
eye.surgeon
Posts: 602
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:19 pm
Location: California

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by eye.surgeon » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:16 am

Oddibe McDowell wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:54 am
eye.surgeon wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:53 pm
I'd suggest a classic Casio G-Shock 5600 and $4950 in your pocket. And this coming from a guy wearing a submariner that I wish I'd never bought.
Eye Surgeon - I hear you! I own and still love my Sub, but don't wear it sometimes as I don't like people knowing I'm wearing a "Rolex." In that sense I do have a little buyer's remorse at times.

Not sure how closely you look at this stuff - but assuming your Sub is a stainless steel one (either 5 digit for 6 digit) - chances are you can sell it now for at least as much if not more than you paid for it. Might be an option if you are wanting to unload it / get your money back. That's one nice thing about a Rolex - they tend to hold their value.
Good suggestion, I used to have quite a collection of Rolex and other automatic watches, but as part of a life change to boglehead philosophy I sold them all except the one submariner. And you're correct they do hold their value pretty well. I just decided I'd rather further my financial independence than wear idle money on my wrist.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

travelspot
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:40 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by travelspot » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:12 pm

Ball watches can be had for less than the stated minimum, but are high-quality and have been around a long time. I like wearing a quality automatic watch without thinking I paid a premium for a more popular name of similar quality. A semi-Boglehead approach. I’ve been happy with the Engineer Hydrocarbon.

https://shop.ballwatch.ch/en/
If you don't do stuff, then you don't do stuff.

jello_nailer
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:20 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by jello_nailer » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:23 pm

I will stick with my PAM 1312 with a Da Luca strap. Love it.
Last edited by jello_nailer on Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Schlabba
Posts: 525
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 9:14 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by Schlabba » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:17 am

Oddibe McDowell wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:54 am
eye.surgeon wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:53 pm
I'd suggest a classic Casio G-Shock 5600 and $4950 in your pocket. And this coming from a guy wearing a submariner that I wish I'd never bought.
Eye Surgeon - I hear you! I own and still love my Sub, but don't wear it sometimes as I don't like people knowing I'm wearing a "Rolex." In that sense I do have a little buyer's remorse at times.

Not sure how closely you look at this stuff - but assuming your Sub is a stainless steel one (either 5 digit for 6 digit) - chances are you can sell it now for at least as much if not more than you paid for it. Might be an option if you are wanting to unload it / get your money back. That's one nice thing about a Rolex - they tend to hold their value.
I just recently joined the waiting list for a Rolex Explorer (214270). Part of the reason of choosing that watch was that it might not be noticed by non-watch fans. Did you often get comments on your watch?

And yes rolex holding its value was a big factor in deciding to buy one. If I ever regret it I’ll sell it and get my money back. The only risk ofcourse is damaging it or having it stolen.
Secretly a dividend investor. Feel free to ask why.

User avatar
Schlabba
Posts: 525
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 9:14 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by Schlabba » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:20 am

eye.surgeon wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:16 am
Oddibe McDowell wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:54 am
eye.surgeon wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:53 pm
I'd suggest a classic Casio G-Shock 5600 and $4950 in your pocket. And this coming from a guy wearing a submariner that I wish I'd never bought.
Eye Surgeon - I hear you! I own and still love my Sub, but don't wear it sometimes as I don't like people knowing I'm wearing a "Rolex." In that sense I do have a little buyer's remorse at times.

Not sure how closely you look at this stuff - but assuming your Sub is a stainless steel one (either 5 digit for 6 digit) - chances are you can sell it now for at least as much if not more than you paid for it. Might be an option if you are wanting to unload it / get your money back. That's one nice thing about a Rolex - they tend to hold their value.
Good suggestion, I used to have quite a collection of Rolex and other automatic watches, but as part of a life change to boglehead philosophy I sold them all except the one submariner. And you're correct they do hold their value pretty well. I just decided I'd rather further my financial independence than wear idle money on my wrist.
I consider myself a boglehead and my view is the opposite. Because I am a boglehead (aka: good at saving and investing) I can splurge a little. I don’t think bogleheads are minimalists, even though I am sure some are.
Secretly a dividend investor. Feel free to ask why.

mak1277
Posts: 1415
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by mak1277 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:21 am

Schlabba wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:17 am
Oddibe McDowell wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:54 am
eye.surgeon wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:53 pm
I'd suggest a classic Casio G-Shock 5600 and $4950 in your pocket. And this coming from a guy wearing a submariner that I wish I'd never bought.
Eye Surgeon - I hear you! I own and still love my Sub, but don't wear it sometimes as I don't like people knowing I'm wearing a "Rolex." In that sense I do have a little buyer's remorse at times.

Not sure how closely you look at this stuff - but assuming your Sub is a stainless steel one (either 5 digit for 6 digit) - chances are you can sell it now for at least as much if not more than you paid for it. Might be an option if you are wanting to unload it / get your money back. That's one nice thing about a Rolex - they tend to hold their value.
I just recently joined the waiting list for a Rolex Explorer (214270). Part of the reason of choosing that watch was that it might not be noticed by non-watch fans. Did you often get comments on your watch?

And yes rolex holding its value was a big factor in deciding to buy one. If I ever regret it I’ll sell it and get my money back. The only risk ofcourse is damaging it or having it stolen.
I have gotten exactly one (positive) comment on my submariner in 2 1/2 years of owning it.

User avatar
Schlabba
Posts: 525
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 9:14 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by Schlabba » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:49 am

mak1277 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:21 am
Schlabba wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:17 am
Oddibe McDowell wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:54 am
eye.surgeon wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:53 pm
I'd suggest a classic Casio G-Shock 5600 and $4950 in your pocket. And this coming from a guy wearing a submariner that I wish I'd never bought.
Eye Surgeon - I hear you! I own and still love my Sub, but don't wear it sometimes as I don't like people knowing I'm wearing a "Rolex." In that sense I do have a little buyer's remorse at times.

Not sure how closely you look at this stuff - but assuming your Sub is a stainless steel one (either 5 digit for 6 digit) - chances are you can sell it now for at least as much if not more than you paid for it. Might be an option if you are wanting to unload it / get your money back. That's one nice thing about a Rolex - they tend to hold their value.
I just recently joined the waiting list for a Rolex Explorer (214270). Part of the reason of choosing that watch was that it might not be noticed by non-watch fans. Did you often get comments on your watch?

And yes rolex holding its value was a big factor in deciding to buy one. If I ever regret it I’ll sell it and get my money back. The only risk ofcourse is damaging it or having it stolen.
I have gotten exactly one (positive) comment on my submariner in 2 1/2 years of owning it.
I can live with 1 comment every 2.5 years. Maybe my next watch (in a few years) can be a batman or coke GMT Master.
I also like the polar dial explorer 2.

One of the problems I had choosing the Explorer is that is just so much choice!
Secretly a dividend investor. Feel free to ask why.

mak1277
Posts: 1415
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by mak1277 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:53 am

Schlabba wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:49 am
mak1277 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:21 am
Schlabba wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:17 am
Oddibe McDowell wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:54 am
eye.surgeon wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:53 pm
I'd suggest a classic Casio G-Shock 5600 and $4950 in your pocket. And this coming from a guy wearing a submariner that I wish I'd never bought.
Eye Surgeon - I hear you! I own and still love my Sub, but don't wear it sometimes as I don't like people knowing I'm wearing a "Rolex." In that sense I do have a little buyer's remorse at times.

Not sure how closely you look at this stuff - but assuming your Sub is a stainless steel one (either 5 digit for 6 digit) - chances are you can sell it now for at least as much if not more than you paid for it. Might be an option if you are wanting to unload it / get your money back. That's one nice thing about a Rolex - they tend to hold their value.
I just recently joined the waiting list for a Rolex Explorer (214270). Part of the reason of choosing that watch was that it might not be noticed by non-watch fans. Did you often get comments on your watch?

And yes rolex holding its value was a big factor in deciding to buy one. If I ever regret it I’ll sell it and get my money back. The only risk ofcourse is damaging it or having it stolen.
I have gotten exactly one (positive) comment on my submariner in 2 1/2 years of owning it.
I can live with 1 comment every 2.5 years. Maybe my next watch (in a few years) can be a batman or coke GMT Master.
I also like the polar dial explorer 2.

One of the problems I had choosing the Explorer is that is just so much choice!
I'm generally not a huge fan of the cyclops, so Explorer & no-date Sub are my favorites.

Oddibe McDowell
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 10:40 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by Oddibe McDowell » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:20 am

Schlabba wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:17 am
Oddibe McDowell wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:54 am
eye.surgeon wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:53 pm
I'd suggest a classic Casio G-Shock 5600 and $4950 in your pocket. And this coming from a guy wearing a submariner that I wish I'd never bought.
Eye Surgeon - I hear you! I own and still love my Sub, but don't wear it sometimes as I don't like people knowing I'm wearing a "Rolex." In that sense I do have a little buyer's remorse at times.

Not sure how closely you look at this stuff - but assuming your Sub is a stainless steel one (either 5 digit for 6 digit) - chances are you can sell it now for at least as much if not more than you paid for it. Might be an option if you are wanting to unload it / get your money back. That's one nice thing about a Rolex - they tend to hold their value.
I just recently joined the waiting list for a Rolex Explorer (214270). Part of the reason of choosing that watch was that it might not be noticed by non-watch fans. Did you often get comments on your watch?

And yes rolex holding its value was a big factor in deciding to buy one. If I ever regret it I’ll sell it and get my money back. The only risk ofcourse is damaging it or having it stolen.
Schabba:

I have a no-date Sub, so arguably a little less noticeable. I'm sure people notice at times and don't say anything. In 2.5 years, I bet I've gotten 2-3 comments on it. Really not very often.

Explorer I is a great choice - that one has really grown on me. I do think that is more under the radar than a Submariner. I'd love to own one.

I also like the older Explorer II's for something under the radar. I have a friend with the Polar dial and it's very rarely spotted as a "Rolex." I'm kicking myself for not buying one a few years back when they could be had for far less than what they go for now!

TSR
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:08 am

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by TSR » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:29 am

I got my Omega Seamaster 300 for a good bit under $5,000 (gently used), but it's been a great watch for me. If I were spending in that range, I might get the titanium version of the same watch just because it's so ridiculously light (and the blue face is nice). I like that they are attractive and distinctive, but not "that's a Rolex!" recognizable. I also think the (somewhat humorously named) Omega Seamaster Railmaster is a very classy looking watch in that price range (just over 5k with the stainless strap), and I might consider that one too:

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watc ... er/catalog

User avatar
steve50
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:59 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by steve50 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:44 pm

Just to stay on topic, I would say Rolex Milgauss.

PS: This new thread is no fun without Petrocelli !! :(

Enzo IX
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:07 am

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by Enzo IX » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:29 pm

Rumor has it the Rolex Hulk is going to be discontinued in 2021, when I heard this i was tempted to buy one while they had some at Bob's Watches but I didn't because I don't like spending discretionary monies while in a down market.

I guess down the road if I want one, I will just have to pay up for one.

afan
Posts: 4878
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:01 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by afan » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:41 pm

If I were going to get an expensive watch it would be a JLC Reverso duo. I would probably have it customized as they do so nicely. No pretense that it tells better time. Accept the need for regular service. Accept that it is absurdly expensive, both the watch and the extras.

One advantage- people who are not into watches will never know that it is expensive.

Lots of reasons not to, but just a beautiful watch.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama

Zombies
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:22 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by Zombies » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:59 pm

In the ~$5,000 range, a Breitling Navitimer chronograph works well. I’m not a fan of Breitlings in general, but I started there as my watch education progressed with a Superocean Steelfish 20 years ago, and the Navitimer still has timeless appeal. There are lots of different models that range from $3500 (used) up to $8000-9000, but $5,000 is a good sweet spot.

Obviously there are lots of great Rolex options, but if you want something in a different “class” I think you need to step up to the base steel model Royal Oak. JLCs are close with some good models, but from a tiering perspective you’re looking at $15k to bump up to the next tier.

User avatar
BB76
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:12 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by BB76 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:07 pm

rockstar wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:08 pm
If I was going to buy an expensive watch, I'd get a Patek Philippe...

https://www.patek.com/en/collection/all-models
+1, along with a couple of Breitling models.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.” ― E.F. Schumacher

User avatar
txaggie
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:35 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by txaggie » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:34 pm

My favorite watch is a Grand Seiko spring drive. I own a Grand Seiko SBGA109 with a beautiful tatami dial.

I also like my Rolex, Audemars Piguet, and Panerai watches.

Independent George
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:13 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by Independent George » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:42 pm

txaggie wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:34 pm
My favorite watch is a Grand Seiko spring drive. I own a Grand Seiko SBGA109 with a beautiful tatami dial.

I also like my Rolex, Audemars Piguet, and Panerai watches.
I really need to see the new SBGA429 once the stores re-open. I love the color contrast, and, most importantly, they finally released a sub-40mm Spring Drive with a bracelet! Just $5k, too.

User avatar
txaggie
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:35 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by txaggie » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:22 pm

Independent George wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:42 pm
txaggie wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:34 pm
My favorite watch is a Grand Seiko spring drive. I own a Grand Seiko SBGA109 with a beautiful tatami dial.

I also like my Rolex, Audemars Piguet, and Panerai watches.
I really need to see the new SBGA429 once the stores re-open. I love the color contrast, and, most importantly, they finally released a sub-40mm Spring Drive with a bracelet! Just $5k, too.
Very nice. I had not seen that reference before. Both the SBGA427 and SBGA429 look really nice.

User avatar
Petrocelli
Posts: 2832
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:29 pm
Location: Fenway Park, between 2nd and 3rd base

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by Petrocelli » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:55 am

Yopu know how you get those banner ads when you log into Google? Not coincidentally, I frequently get banner ads for watches.

An add popped up the other day for an upcoming watch auction in Geneva. I was astounded at the prices of the watches. It's a fun browse but {SPOILER ALERT!} there are no $5,000 watches for sale.

https://www.phillips.com/auctions/aucti ... 20CHF12000
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

Bronko
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:17 pm
Location: No matter where you go, there you are.....

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by Bronko » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:00 am

I have large hands and wrists. I wear a Rolex Deep Sea. They have multiple faces and an interesting back story. It’s a lot of money for a watch but I enjoy wearing a nice timepiece that’s I will give my son someday.
Never let a little bit of money get in the way of a real good time.

User avatar
Schlabba
Posts: 525
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 9:14 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by Schlabba » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:25 pm

txaggie wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:34 pm
My favorite watch is a Grand Seiko spring drive. I own a Grand Seiko SBGA109 with a beautiful tatami dial.

I also like my Rolex, Audemars Piguet, and Panerai watches.
Which models do you have for your other brands?
Secretly a dividend investor. Feel free to ask why.

apex84
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:51 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by apex84 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:27 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:41 pm
Hopefully this gives the thread new life! Thanks.

Anyone have good recommendations for the $5k - 10k price range besides the usual suspects (Rolex, Omega, Grand Seiko)?
It's funny that Grand Seiko is considered one of the usual suspects. Traditionally that would have been Breitling, IWC, and Tag Heuer.

JLC Master Control or Polaris
Tudor Black Bay 58, Pelagos, or North Flag
Glashütte Original with cal. 36 (dressy dial or pilot dial)
Used Vacheron Constantin Overseas (1st or 2nd generation)
Many dress watches can be had in this price range, used VC are a great buy when everyone wants a sporty watch in steel.
2020 Breitling Chronomat with rouleaux bracelet
Tag Heuer Monaco or Carrera LE, both with in-house cal. Heuer 02
IWC Portuguese
VC Fifty Six
Breguet Type XX or XXI
Used Roger Dubuis, Chopard, Parmigiani
Many choices from Zenith

This price has many options and one has to have a sense of what they're looking for (sporty, dressy, material, complications, etc.).

mak1277
Posts: 1415
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by mak1277 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:41 pm

apex84 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:27 pm
mak1277 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:41 pm
Hopefully this gives the thread new life! Thanks.

Anyone have good recommendations for the $5k - 10k price range besides the usual suspects (Rolex, Omega, Grand Seiko)?
It's funny that Grand Seiko is considered one of the usual suspects. Traditionally that would have been Breitling, IWC, and Tag Heuer.

JLC Master Control or Polaris
Tudor Black Bay 58, Pelagos, or North Flag
Glashütte Original with cal. 36 (dressy dial or pilot dial)
Used Vacheron Constantin Overseas (1st or 2nd generation)
Many dress watches can be had in this price range, used VC are a great buy when everyone wants a sporty watch in steel.
2020 Breitling Chronomat with rouleaux bracelet
Tag Heuer Monaco or Carrera LE, both with in-house cal. Heuer 02
IWC Portuguese
VC Fifty Six
Breguet Type XX or XXI
Used Roger Dubuis, Chopard, Parmigiani
Many choices from Zenith

This price has many options and one has to have a sense of what they're looking for (sporty, dressy, material, complications, etc.).
Can you really get a new Breguet Type XX for under $10k? I don't like buying other people's used stuff, so I'm only interested in new watches.

SebastianIII
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:43 am

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by SebastianIII » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:50 pm

I would start out with a Rolex at a min, its not a watch, its a time piece.
Pick what you can afford to spend within reason.
I bought my first Rolex on my first job out of college, Stainless and gold Submariner black face and its
still running strong 33 years later and worth more today than what i paid with inflation of course.
Rolex is a watch for a lifetime and can be handed down and means a lot as it was "dad's or mom's"
Years later I bought Gold Presidential and now that costs much more than when i purchased it.
I inherited a gold vacheron-constantin watch and band from my Dad and its a very cool Vintage watch, there's a
lot of people that love vintage watches and they are very cool, so some of you may be interested in going that route.


https://www.rolex.com/watches.html
https://www.alanfurman.com/rolex/

apex84
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:51 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by apex84 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:23 pm

Some of the picks I posted are used. The ref. 3800 retails for under $10k. The ref. 3817 retails for more, but you might be able to get it close to $10k depending on your dealer.
mak1277 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:41 pm
Can you really get a new Breguet Type XX for under $10k? I don't like buying other people's used stuff, so I'm only interested in new watches.

Independent George
Posts: 757
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:13 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Re: Best watch for $5,000+

Post by Independent George » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:53 pm

apex84 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:27 pm
mak1277 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:41 pm
Hopefully this gives the thread new life! Thanks.

Anyone have good recommendations for the $5k - 10k price range besides the usual suspects (Rolex, Omega, Grand Seiko)?
It's funny that Grand Seiko is considered one of the usual suspects. Traditionally that would have been Breitling, IWC, and Tag Heuer.
I've actually long preferred Grand Seiko to all of those brands; in terms of pure aesthetics, the only other comparable brand for me is JLC, and I still give Grand Seiko a slight edge. My only issue with them has been the lack of sub-40mm watches, and that finally seems to be changing.

Sadly, I'm holding off on any major purchases for the near future, but I'm really glad the industry seems to be moving away from the oversized watch trend of recent years.

Post Reply