Can I use my pressure washer compressor for a pneumatic nail gun?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
new2bogle

Can I use my pressure washer compressor for a pneumatic nail gun?

Post by new2bogle »

I own a Sun Joe pressure washer which has a low (1450) and high (2030) psi setting.

Is it possible to use this as the air compressor for a pneumatic nail gun such as this: nail gun at Home Depot?

Point is to not have to purchase an air compressor that otherwise will just sit in the garage. I understand that I may need some adapter fittings.

On a secondary question, the reason for this is that I am install shiplap on one of my walls. Are 18-gauge finish nails ok or should I move up to 16-gauge? (8ft planks, 3/8" thick).
livesoft

Re: Can I use my pressure washer compressor for a pneumatic nail gun?

Post by livesoft »

No you cannot. Water pressure and air pressure are two completely separate things and different compressors/pumps.
Last edited by livesoft on Sun May 31, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

new2bogle wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:25 pm

Is it possible to use this as the air compressor for a pneumatic nail gun such as this: nail gun at Home Depot?

Not possible. The nail gun needs pressurized air (or another gas), not water
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Home Depot has tool rental. I'm sure a air compressor is available at most locations.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

No.
You need a tank compressor.
The nail gun has to have enough reserves and within the right psi range or you will mess up the nail gun or get hurt.
It’s amazing how fast a framing nail gun can drive a 12-16D nail through a boot, a hand, a body part, a leg bone, etc.
Bee Careful

For exterior siding/shiplap.
Substrate is OSB or plywood, then wood studs.

1-3/4” X16 ga coated nails just below flush do not countersink too heavily. Increase length depending on what’s under. Have also used a ring shank coated style nail. Depends on siding and substrate. Sometimes it’s to the studs. Depends.

A small tank compressor comes in handy for many things and doesn’t cost much. 3 Gallon Tank size at HD or HF.

You can also hand nail it if it’s only one wall.
j🌺
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:57 am, edited 7 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

I'd use 1 1/4" x 18g nails. That's big enough for 3/8" material. Set your nail gun so that it does not drive the nail all the way through the shiplap.
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

Wow, you guys are right about the pressure washer. I really had a pretty big brain fart on that.

I've done base boards by hand it was not too bad, I think with 18 gauge it will be easier. It will be two walls, so by hand it doable but would rather not overextend myself physically.

Any pointers on where to get an electric nail gun? Home depot has exactly one but it's cordless, not wired.

Is 1.25" really enough? that's 3/8" for the shiplap (maybe 1/4" since it will sink in some), 1/2" drywall and then finally the stud, at most 1/2".
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

Home Depot will rent you a pancake compressor and finish nailer for about $60/day. If this is a one time need that is probably the way to go. If you have a recurring need for light duty stuff look for a compressor/nailer combo. This is what I have ($200): https://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cabl ... jzZsxI7Rg0

The compressor is also handy for filling tires since you can charge the tank and it will have enough air to top off your tires without having to drag the cord and is much faster than the 12 volt compressors that don't have a tank.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

If you aren't concerned about the time aspect of just doing a single wall, I would rent a battery operated nail gun and skip having to mess with an air compressor at all. They are a bit slower than their pneumatic cousins but a heck of a lot more friendly to use when you aren't lugging around a compressor and dragging hose everywhere. I recently got one that I just used for putting baseboard trim on the first floor of a house. It was so nice not messing with an air compressor and hose as I went throughout all the rooms.
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

18 gauge is too small, not enough holding power in wood or wall.

16 gauge should work OK, or 15 gauge. 2 inch nails is what I would use. I would buy a Metabo pneumatic nail gun & small air compressor
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

3/8 seems thin for an air nailer. I’d worry about splitting, especially at the ends of the planks. Can you get galvanized air nails for exterior use? Common or finish?
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

new2bogle wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:01 pm Wow, you guys are right about the pressure washer. I really had a pretty big brain fart on that.

I've done base boards by hand it was not too bad, I think with 18 gauge it will be easier. It will be two walls, so by hand it doable but would rather not overextend myself physically.

Any pointers on where to get an electric nail gun? Home depot has exactly one but it's cordless, not wired.

Is 1.25" really enough? that's 3/8" for the shiplap (maybe 1/4" since it will sink in some), 1/2" drywall and then finally the stud, at most 1/2".
If interior shiplap or siding on 1/2" drywall, then nail into the studs, either hand nailed or gunned.
1" minimum penetration into the underlying stud. If only 1/2", then some will hold and some will be loose, or loose over time with shifting and expansion.

There are a lot of air nails in a box. Buy just what you need.
Rent the compressor and nail gun at home depot. Forget the electric nail gun. Keep it simple.

You can also invest in a 6 gallon air compressor and a mid size Porter Cable, or other, finish nailer that will handle that nail size. You'll have a versatile tool for the future.
Like this: (tool therapy)
Home Depot Porter Cable Compressor Finish Nailer Kit
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cabl ... /203471431

j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

crefwatch wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:53 am 3/8 seems thin for an air nailer. I’d worry about splitting, especially at the ends of the planks. Can you get galvanized air nails for exterior use? Common or finish?
I think it's interior on drywall since the OP mentions drywall and drywall is interior.
So maybe interior finish siding at 3/8".
But, mentions shiplap so is that the lap or is it a true shiplap.
If a true shiplap then the depth of material is up to twice the thickness of the material due to the lap.
Unknown.

So. . .like this: | or this: \ ??????
w |. . . . . . . \
a |. . . . . . . \
l |. . . . . . . \
l | . . . . . . . \

Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

Here is the interior shiplap I've ordered. It is 0.375" thick MDF. I am going to hang a TV on the wall too, but that will be bolted through the shiplap into the stud.

I have no qualms buying a compressor other than it is one time use tool which will just take up space in the garage. I've never needed one before. Though I suppose if I were to have one I would need to come up with uses for it. Renting is out of the question because two days of rental is more than the cost of buying one new.

The cordless Ryobi one at HD looks like what I need but the cost of the tool ($139) plus a battery ($79) is more than getting nail gun/compressor combo posted by Sandtrap. I guess I can use the compressor to fill my bike tires :D
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

new2bogle wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:45 am
I have no qualms buying a compressor other than it is one time use tool which will just take up space in the garage. I've never needed one before. Though I suppose if I were to have one I would need to come up with uses for it. Renting is out of the question because two days of rental is more than the cost of buying one new.
When I decided to install a nailed down hardwood floor I rented the special pneumatic stapler from HD but bought a pancake air compressor. I never needed one before.

That was about 15 years ago. It's still going strong.

Since then I've done several other flooring projects (bought a stapler from Harbor Freight that was surprisingly durable & reliable considering the price). Also several projects requiring a brad and finish nailer. Just this spring I bought a HF pneumatic stapler to install carpet runners on two stairways.

My point - you might find that compressor you never thought you needed will come in handy in the future. I even use it every fall to winterize my sprinkler system; saves me $75/yr just on this one easy project.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Even if such a thing was possible, you should never consider it for safety reasons.

Hire this job out.

JT
Mrvtmn

Post by Mrvtmn »

I used small finish screws for the ship lap in my barn and angled them in at the tongue to hide them.

You have to be careful not to split the wood but it worked great.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

new2bogle wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:45 am Here is the interior shiplap I've ordered. It is 0.375" thick MDF. I am going to hang a TV on the wall too, but that will be bolted through the shiplap into the stud.

The cordless Ryobi one at HD looks like what I need but the cost of the tool ($139) plus a battery ($79) is more than getting nail gun/compressor combo posted by Sandtrap. I guess I can use the compressor to fill my bike tires :D
With a 6 gallon pancake compressor you can:
(lightweight air hoses are enough)

Air up bike tires.
Air up car tires. Get a cool tire gauge for this like service stations used to have.
Use a blower attachment (tiny thing on the end of the hose) to blow dust and debris from your car engine.
Use the blower attachment to blow out the garage floor.
Use a variety of air power tools and air driven gizmos.
Have an air impact driver like the one's the tire place uses to remove lug nuts, also makes that cool sound.
Be popular, attract friends, and be well liked and admired. :D :D . . . . (kidding)

The compressor and finish nail gun package I gave the link to at Home Depot will be fine to install the MDF.
MDF will not split but don't nail too close to the edges as it will break.

That MDF you're getting from Home Depot is nice. It has a thin and very hard veneer surface. You don't have to countersink very much (setting on the finish nailer). Too deep and it won't hold as well.

Fasteners should be about 3/8" (mdf) + 1/2" (drywall) + 1" min(stud) so a 2 inch finish nail will give you 1" in the stud.

So get the finish nailer that will handle 2" finish nails.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cabl ... /203555573
$69 at Home Depot
And the compressor and a lightweight air hose.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-6-Ga ... /303379052
$129 at Home Depot
(lot's of different brands and prices of these things.)
Nails. 2" X 15 ga. for the porter cable or straight (not angled) air nailer.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Cabl ... /100073395
$15

Tip: do not work too quickly because it can go pretty quick and smooth, so you don't nail your foot, your finger, your hand. *(really hurts when this happens).
Get some 3in1 oil or something like that in a stem on a small can/bottle. Put a squirt of oil in the air intake of the nail gun before you work so it won't freeze up and will last years.
Do your cuts with a sliding mitre with a fine blade, finish side down, or a light power circular saw with a fine blade. Not a jigsaw.
Wear lung protection, N95? (kidding) as MDF dust is very fine.
Take time to do good layout work before you start and double check your lines, plumb, etc.

When you are done it will be a "thing of beauty and a joy to behold".

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Luke Duke wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:12 pm I'd spend the money on a HF compressor.
https://harborfreight.com/1-3-hp-3-gall ... 97080.html

Or spend more money for a smaller, better compressor.
https://harborfreight.com/1-gallon-135- ... 64592.html
https://harborfreight.com/2-gallon-135- ... 64596.html
Yeah, a small harbor freight compressor makes a lot more sense than paying $60 to rent one from Home Depot unless you are really short on storage space. HF is usually better dollar for dollar than Home Depot and other big box stores on stuff like this. Not that HF is great quality (it's not), but their basic air compressors are more than fine for light use such as being proposed.
Topic Author
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:32 pm
new2bogle wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:45 am Here is the interior shiplap I've ordered. It is 0.375" thick MDF. I am going to hang a TV on the wall too, but that will be bolted through the shiplap into the stud.

Air up bike tires.
Air up car tires. Get a cool tire gauge for this like service stations used to have.
Use a blower attachment (tiny thing on the end of the hose) to blow dust and debris from your car engine.
Have an air impact driver like the one's the tire place uses to remove lug nuts, also makes that cool sound.
Be popular, attract friends, and be well liked and admired. :D :D . . . . (kidding)

The compressor and finish nail gun package I gave the link to at Home Depot will be fine to install the MDF.

That MDF you're getting from Home Depot is nice. It has a thin and very hard veneer surface. You don't have to countersink very much (setting on the finish nailer). Too deep and it won't hold as well.

Fasteners should be about 3/8" (mdf) + 1/2" (drywall) + 1" min(stud) so a 2 inch finish nail will give you 1" in the stud.

$69 at Home Depot
$129 at Home Depot
$15

Tip: do not work too quickly because it can go pretty quick and smooth, so you don't nail your foot, your finger, your hand. *(really hurts when this happens).
Get some 3in1 oil or something like that in a stem on a small can/bottle. Put a squirt of oil in the air intake of the nail gun before you work so it won't freeze up and will last years.
Do your cuts with a sliding mitre with a fine blade, finish side down, or a light power circular saw with a fine blade. Not a jigsaw.
Take time to do good layout work before you start and double check your lines, plumb, etc.

Thank you! Very informative post.

Why should I not use a jigsaw?
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

new2bogle wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:36 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:32 pm

Air up bike tires.

$69 at Home Depot
$129 at Home Depot
$15

Thank you! Very informative post.

Why should I not use a jigsaw?
A circular saw blade "tracks" a straighter cut.
A jigsaw blade is made to cut curves, etc, so very difficult to get a straight cut on the end of an MDF plank. But, can be done with patience.
Also, a jigsaw blade cuts upwards, so then the finish surface faces down, but the blade also plunges back down, so moves in both directions, thereby making a rougher cut, even with an orbital or a fine blade. But, can be done, just takes a steady hand and patience and skill.
An excellent straight cutting orbital jig saw is not cheap.

However, done patiently and with skill and practice, any tool and any saw will get the job done.

IE: Hand saw with a finish blade, finish hammer, nails.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

You can cross cut planks well with a jigsaw if using a straight edge that you can hold stably (I usually use a rafter square. Sometimes I use an L square and a clamp). Cutting face down is recommended, although I don't have much issues with MDF chipping if using a laminate-specific jigsaw blade facing either direction.

A sliding miter is easier, but expensive. A standard miter can be used, too, but is harder on the blade. Even the special laminate blades cut slowly, build up material on the teeth that is hard to clean off, and wear faster, if you can cut with a steep tooth angle through the material. However, a halfway decent carbide blade should be fine for a couple rooms worth of cuts, and I did laminate flooring (which is harder on the blade than plain MDF) with a standard miter saw.

Note that Home Depot has the manufacturer installation instructions for your MDF planks on the product page you linked. Almost any manufacturered lumber will have directions. Read those as a starting point.

They say to use 18 gauge, 1-3/4" finish nails, and nail directly to the studs. You may have to do some trial and error to figure out what works best for nailing over drywall. 1-3/4" should be just barely long enough to hold decently - the dimples that most pneumatic finish nails have hold in the wood surprisingly well. 2" would be slightly better, but also slightly more likely to bend when driving. 16 gauge will be less likely to bend, but more likely to split the MDF.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I agree with the comments on getting an inexpensive, small air compressor (unless you see using this a lot in the future). That is what I did for installing trim and hardwood floors. That was 4 years ago and I use it mostly to put air in my tires now.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

new2bogle wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:25 pm I own a Sun Joe pressure washer which has a low (1450) and high (2030) psi setting.

Point is to not have to purchase an air compressor that otherwise will just sit in the garage. I understand that I may need some adapter fittings.

On a secondary question, the reason for this is that I am install shiplap on one of my walls. Are 18-gauge finish nails ok or should I move up to 16-gauge? (8ft planks, 3/8" thick).
1. no you can't use your pressure washer compressor.
2. Yes 18 ga nails are perfectly fine for installing shiplap. Just make sure they are not too long as that increases the chance of hitting something in the wall - you need to hit the studs.
3. Look into getting a cordless battery powered 18 ga nailer. SO MUCH better than lugging around a compressor. Ryobi makes a really affordable one.