Fold Flat Seats in a 2019/2020 car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sad2

Fold Flat Seats in a 2019/2020 car

Post by sad2 »

Hi:

1. Honda Fit - $16,990
2. Toyota Yaris - $17,750
3. Toyota Prius - $24,325
4. Subaru Forester - $24,495
5. Subaru Outback - $26,645
6. Toyota 4Runner - $36,120
7. Audi A4 Allroad - $44,600
8. Volvo V60 Cross Country $45,100
9. Volvo V90 Cross Country $54,550
10. Audi A6 Allroad - $65,900
11. Mercedes E-Class Wagon $66,100
12. Toyota Land Cruiser - $85,415
13. Audi RS6 Avant - $109,000

So I am in the market for a new car. My 1999 Honda Accord finally gave out. Good run - 188,000 miles. Although I wanted to go to at least 200k, if not 250k.

I rented a 2020 Toyota RAV4 for the past week doing a road trip through OK, KS, NE, SD, ND, WY, and MT and tested out sleeping in the back. That lasted one night! Thankfully I brought my tent and used it for the other nights.

Unfortunately, there was a more than slight angle when the back seats were folded down that prevented a solid night's sleep. I kept sliding down.

Can someone recommend a car that actually has fold-flat seats to allow one to car camp? Some friends said the Prius actually has lie flat seats and they sleep in the back when road tripping.

I realize I will have to compromise and not all 13 cars I listed below will achieve all eight factors below but the best combination of the following:

1. some ground clearance to get to trailheads with washboard roads in CO
2. decent gas mileage - high 20s?
3. I will keep the car for at least 20 years.
4. I drive about 6000 miles a year.
5. should not use premium fuel
6. lower insurance costs
7. low maintenance cost
8. actually able to sleep in the back - fold completely flat seats.

I'd like to stay with Honda or Toyota but am open to other models. Hence the list above.

Can any owners of these cars in the 2019/2020 model years comment on whether the seats actually fold completely flat to allow a good night's sleep?

Options I am looking at. Most of the German/Chinese cars will likely be stricken from the list. Approximate prices from low to high.

Right now I'm leaning towards 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 12.
Any Subaru owners that sleep in the back of their cars without doing modifications? (i.e. building a wooden platform)
adamthesmythe

Re: Fold Flat Seats in a 2019/2020 car

Post by adamthesmythe »

Minivan.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

You only drive 6,000 miles a year and it seems quite a lot of that is road trips. With that usage pattern, I might just rent a large vehicle for the road trips and get a used something for around town.
ballons

Post by ballons »

If you consider the honda fit flat, then the HRV and CRV do the same.

If the vehicle's main purchase is for camping, get a minivan or compact cargo van.
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

sad2 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:55 pm1. Honda Fit - $16,990
2. Toyota Yaris - $17,750
3. Toyota Prius - $24,325
4. Subaru Forester - $24,495
5. Subaru Outback - $26,645
6. Toyota 4Runner - $36,120
7. Audi A4 Allroad - $44,600
8. Volvo V60 Cross Country $45,100
9. Volvo V90 Cross Country $54,550
10. Audi A6 Allroad - $65,900
11. Mercedes E-Class Wagon $66,100
12. Toyota Land Cruiser - $85,415
13. Audi RS6 Avant - $109,000

I realize I will have to compromise and not all 13 cars I listed below will achieve all eight factors below but the best combination of the following:

6. lower insurance costs
7. low maintenance cost

Right now I'm leaning towards 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 12.
12, even with minimal maintenance costs, would take quite a while to be cheaper in the long term than 1,3,4,5,6! Just recommending you start cheaper to stay cheap. The Land Cruiser has a lot of expensive things that can break.

But I have to second the "minivan" or "just rent" recommendations.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
CheckMate404

Post by CheckMate404 »

I’m over 6ft and have no trouble camping in my Tesla Model 3. The seats fold flat and there’s room enough for 2. Since you’re looking at SUVs, the Tesla Model Y is much bigger and might be a better fit.

And frankly, no other car has anything similar to Tesla’s Camping Mode:

https://electrek.co/2019/12/23/tesla-camp-mode/
researcher

Post by researcher »

sad2 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:55 pm 1. some ground clearance to get to trailheads with washboard roads in CO
2. decent gas mileage - high 20s?
5. should not use premium fuel
6. lower insurance costs
7. low maintenance cost
8. actually able to sleep in the back - fold completely flat seats.

I'd like to stay with Honda or Toyota
I'm going to add one vehicle to your list that ticks off virtually all the boxes...
Honda Ridgeline with a truck cap.

I think this would be the most versatile option overall, and you can pick up a new 2019 Ridgeline RTL AWD for $30K after negotiation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grHaLZDKlCg
telemark

Post by telemark »

I looked into car camping about a year ago, and found that the Prius is a popular choice. There are whole forums on the subject. You can run the climate control system all night, and the engine will quietly cycle on as needed to keep the battery charged. On current models there a gap between the front and rear seats that needs to be bridged, either with storage containers or a wooden bridge. I have no direct experience, but imagine that ground clearance could be a problem.
Inframan4712

Post by Inframan4712 »

Chrysler Pacifica. We have one and love it.
It’s the number 2 minivan according to Edmunds. Number 1 and 3 don’t have fold flat seats like the Pacifica.

My wife said absolutely no to a minivan. Until she drove the Pacifica on a whim and she picked it over the SUVs she’d been testing.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Used to be a guy who would recommend a Crown Victoria for pretty much every use case. If you don't like the minivan then maybe that?

Seriously- you have a very strange list. The only other list I can think of that would have the both Yaris and the Land Cruiser is the list of "cars most different in every way but made by the same manufacturer."

As mentioned above, Tesla actually does have a full lie-flat feature. However the idea of possibly ending up down a forest road with a dead battery just...gives me the willies.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

If you are a single and shorter than 6 foot person, a custom platform with a memory foam mattress would work for a RAV4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8wV4yiZHmU
CheckMate404

Post by CheckMate404 »

adamthesmythe wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:49 pm Used to be a guy who would recommend a Crown Victoria for pretty much every use case. If you don't like the minivan then maybe that?

Seriously- you have a very strange list. The only other list I can think of that would have the both Yaris and the Land Cruiser is the list of "cars most different in every way but made by the same manufacturer."

As mentioned above, Tesla actually does have a full lie-flat feature. However the idea of possibly ending up down a forest road with a dead battery just...gives me the willies.
Now that I’ve had a Tesla for a few years, whenever I fly somewhere and have to rent a car, I’m constantly worried about running out of gas!

Waking up to a full battery everyday, along with a GPS system that knows your battery level and automatically routes you through a charging station if needed, really changed things for me.

I know people who have run out of gas because they weren’t paying attention, or calculated things wrong. The Tesla handles all of that for you. I don’t know anybody who ran out of charge with their Tesla.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

CheckMate404 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 5:50 pm
adamthesmythe wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:49 pm Used to be a guy who would recommend a Crown Victoria for pretty much every use case. If you don't like the minivan then maybe that?

Now that I’ve had a Tesla for a few years, whenever I fly somewhere and have to rent a car, I’m constantly worried about running out of gas!

Waking up to a full battery everyday, along with a GPS system that knows your battery level and automatically routes you through a charging station if needed, really changed things for me.

I know people who have run out of gas because they weren’t paying attention, or calculated things wrong. The Tesla handles all of that for you. I don’t know anybody who ran out of charge with their Tesla.
I'm surprised - road trips along backroads in most of the country would not result in concerns about running out of charge?
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

The Crown Victoria would be poorly suited for car camping, not to mention that they haven't been manufactured for years.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Honda Element! Rear seats fold flat to the floor or to the sides, or removable altogether. Meets OP's other requirements as well, except that it was last sold in the 2011 model year, so used only.
Last edited by 02nz on Sat May 30, 2020 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

sad2 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:55 pm Options I am looking at. Most of the German/Chinese cars will likely be stricken from the list. Approximate prices from low to high.
Which Chinese cars? I know of just one "Chinese" car sold in America - Buick Envision.
Gort

Post by Gort »

02nz wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:07 pm
sad2 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:55 pm Options I am looking at. Most of the German/Chinese cars will likely be stricken from the list. Approximate prices from low to high.
Which Chinese cars? I know of just one "Chinese" car sold in America - Buick Envision.
Volvo.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Gort wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:20 pm
Volvo.
So Land Rovers are Indian cars, and Jeeps are Italian cars? And the Buick Envision I mentioned, made in China made of mainly Chinese components, is an American car?

I get that it's complicated when many cars are engineered and assembled in different places from where the brand is headquartered. But the address of parent company of the automaker should probably not take precedence over where the car is assembled, where most of the components come from, ad where the engineering work is done.
Topic Author
sad2

Post by sad2 »

A quick update.
I test drove a number of cars today and have taken the following off the list.

1. Honda Fit - Much too small to lay out in the back with the rear seats folded down.
2. Toyota Land Cruiser - The rear seats and the third row of seats took up considerable space even when folded down/away. I realize they make a five-seater, called the Heritage Edition. None were available at the dealer I went to, the third largest Toyota dealer in the US.
3. That same dealer had zero Toyota Yaris models in inventory. So odd that they had over 100 RAV4s and 4Runners and Highlanders, but no Yaris. Not even one model to peruse.

One model I added to the list. Honda HRV. It was surprisingly flat in the back, comes in AWD, gets decent gas mileage, and is a Honda so pretty reliable.

It looks like I will narrow it down to:

1. Toyota Prius (should I get the regular drivetrain or AWD?) Does incorporating the AWD significantly detract from this car's legendary reliability and low maintenance costs? (Drawback - very little ground clearance)
2. Subaru Outback (poorer gas mileage - definitely as compared to the Prius)
3. Subaru Forester (poorer gas mileage - definitely as compared to the Prius)
4. Toyota Yaris if I can find out.

I am single and vertically challenged, the latter of which is a benefit when sleeping in cars and travelling in airplanes!
retire57

Post by retire57 »

For car camping, add another item to your criteria - climate control. The ability to keep the interior cool/warm overnight without depleting the car battery is what makes the Prius a popular choice. However, for more cargo space and vastly better ground clearance, check out a Highlander Hybrid.

It's important to know that not all hybrids allow for this kind of climate control, but Toyota's system does.
anthonyphamy

Post by anthonyphamy »

Interesting post, OP. I too, actually am starting to look for a car to replace my current one, and I have been looking at the Toyota RAV4 and Subaru Forester as well. Coincidentally, I also have the same interest of car camping and would like a car with seats that fold flat in the back. I'm sad to hear that the RAV4 does not do this though, as the RAV4 was probably my highest contender at the moment.

Another car to look into, is the Toyota Venza that is coming out this summer. It will be hybrid, slightly larger than the RAV4. Although I'm not sure if the seats will fold flat, but may be a potential. I'm excited to hear which one you pick, as it may influence me as well.

Thanks,
Anthony
CheckMate404

Post by CheckMate404 »

tibbitts wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:52 pm

I'm surprised - road trips along backroads in most of the country would not result in concerns about running out of charge?
There’s nothing to worry about. You tell the car where you want to go, and the car tells you if you can make it there and back. It does all the calculations regarding your current battery level, how far you’re going, the weather, the places to charge along the way...etc. If it can’t figure out a way to make the math work, it tells you, right then. There’s no ambiguity.

Even in that scenario, I’ve been able to complete the trip anyway. I just plug the car into a regular wall outlet (same as in your home) and charge it up while I’m at the destination. I can get 120 miles of charge from a regular wall outlet in a day, which is always more than enough to bridge the gap to the nearest supercharger.

It wasn’t until I rented a gas car on a work trip that I recognized the cognitive load of having to manage a gas tank. The ambiguity of, “Ok, I have 1/4th of a tank left, and I have to drive 1.5 hours to get to the office on time. Can I make it? Do I have time to stop and get gas without being late? Should I try and find gas around town now, or get on the highway first and find a rest stop gas station? If I do make it without stopping, will I have enough gas left to get to a gas station when I leave work? Darnit, why didn’t I get gas last night!” ...etc

To highlight the point, I looked for the most “backroad” camping ground I could find, and was pointed to:

https://www.backwoodscamping.org/hatfield-mccoy-trails

An aptly named camping ground called Backwoods Camping & RV Park, in West Virginia. Here’s what the trip looks like driving from Washington DC, and plugging into a regular wall outlet at the camp. Note, the camp actually supports fastcharging, as the Tesla can charge very quickly from the RV hookup, but I’ll ignore that for this example:

The full 16 hours of driving, required two stops. One on the way to the campground for 18 minutes, and one on the way home for 9 minutes.

In the worst case scenario, where the campground doesn’t have any RV spots available, and no regular outlets to plug into, the 16 hour driving trip now requires 3 stops:

On long stops, I like to relax and watch an episode of The Office on Netflix:

Combined with the car driving 99% of those 16 hours by itself with autopilot, I can’t imagine a better car for camping.

sarahjane

Post by sarahjane »

Ford Flex
Gort

Post by Gort »

02nz wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:36 pm
Volvo.
So Land Rovers are Indian cars, and Jeeps are Italian cars? And the Buick Envision I mentioned, made in China made of mainly Chinese components, is an American car?

I get that it's complicated when many cars are engineered and assembled in different places from where the brand is headquartered. But the address of parent company of the automaker should probably not take precedence over where the car is assembled, where most of the components come from, ad where the engineering work is done.
Volvo Cars is owned by Chinese carmaker Geely Holdings. The S90 is made in Volvo Cars' plant in Daqing, while the XC60 is from its factory in Chengdu. Volvo was the first carmaker to export a China-made premium model to the United States back in 2015.
Last edited by Gort on Sat May 30, 2020 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

CheckMate404 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:58 am I’m over 6ft and have no trouble camping in my Tesla Model 3. The seats fold flat and there’s room enough for 2. Since you’re looking at SUVs, the Tesla Model Y is much bigger and might be a better fit.

And frankly, no other car has anything similar to Tesla’s Camping Mode:

https://electrek.co/2019/12/23/tesla-camp-mode/
Took Tesla a year to "launch" Camp Mode but they managed to launch two astronauts today. LOL.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

Really? Do gas stations not exist anymore?
ram

Post by ram »

sad2 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 10:55 pm
Honda odyssey

1. some ground clearance to get to trailheads with washboard roads in CO : Maybe. Certainly not ideal
2. decent gas mileage - high 20s? : 25+ on highways
3. I will keep the car for at least 20 years. Mine is 14 yrs old
4. I drive about 6000 miles a year. OK
5. should not use premium fuel: Check
6. lower insurance costs : Check
7. low maintenance cost: Check
8. actually able to sleep in the back - fold completely flat seats. : Excellent in this regard. I have removed the middle captains seats. The 3 rd row goes completely flat. Then a 75" x 54" futon mattress fits in the space. During daytime it can be stored vertically along one wall.

I'd like to stay with Honda or Toyota but am open to other models. Hence the list above.

Can any owners of these cars in the 2019/2020 model years comment on whether the seats actually fold completely flat to allow a good night's sleep?
Do not know. But above should apply
Ram
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Gort wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:58 pm
Volvo.

I get that it's complicated when many cars are engineered and assembled in different places from where the brand is headquartered. But the address of parent company of the automaker should probably not take precedence over where the car is assembled, where most of the components come rom, ad where the engineering work is done.
Volvo Cars is owned by Chinese carmaker Geely Holdings. The S90 is made in Volvo Cars' plant in Daqing, while the XC60 is from its factory in Chengdu. Volvo was the first carmaker to export a China-made premium model to the United States back in 2015.
Neither of which is on OP's list. The two Volvos on OP's list, the V60 and the V90, are assembled in Sweden or Belgium.
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

Another option - truck tent. https://realtruck.com/p/rightline-gear-truck-tents/ You will also want a tonneau cover to keep everything dry when the tent isn't up.

I have one of these for my RAM. Even though it is a short bed the tent goes on with the tailgate down so the length is about 7'. I don't like air mattresses so I bought a 4" full size foam mattress. I cut it in thirds so it can be stacked an wrapped in a tarp easily. Takes about 15 minutes for initial setup. If I want to go somewhere while camping I just remove the poles, collapse it into the bed and put the tonneau cover on.
Gort

Post by Gort »

02nz wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:08 pm
Gort wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:58 pm

Volvo.

I get that it's complicated when many cars are engineered and assembled in different places from where the brand is headquartered. But the address of parent company of the automaker should probably not take precedence over where the car is assembled, where most of the components come rom, ad where the engineering work is done.
Neither of which is on OP's list. The two Volvos on OP's list, the V60 and the V90, are assembled in Sweden or Belgium.
Nor was the Buick Envision on the OP's list. My point was to show that there are other "Chinese" cars sold in America in addition to the one that you mentioned.
Last edited by Gort on Sun May 31, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

I've slept one time in the back of our 2014 Prius. The seats fold completely flat. I wish I knew about the climate control. I can't say it was a good experience but I'm not a camper at all. It was nice feature to have during a delayed trip caused by snow storm in the mountains. I would be concerned about driving to too distant trailheads. The ground clearance is not much. Fine for washboard gravel roads but I'd be concerned with anything sandy or rutted.

We have an 2020 Forrester. Never laid in it but I'm not sure it would be comfortable. The bridge between the cargo area and the back seat has an annoying hump. It bugs me when I'm trying to slide boxes in and out of the car. We have the all weather rubber protection and that may be the issue. The ground clearance and AWD is amazing. Be sure to check the Forrester on more time for comfort.
We plan. G-d laughs.
Boglegirl81

Post by Boglegirl81 »

I love my 2013 Ford Escape, and though I’ve never slept back there, I frequently fold the back seats down and it seems pretty flat to me.
countdrak

Post by countdrak »

Infiniti QX60, the third row folds and has a very spacious completely flat bed once you fold both rows. Lease for it is super reasonable.
stlutz

Post by stlutz »

Are you looking for something that you can make work or something where you can just pull off the road, grab a pillow/blanket, and go to sleep?

If it's the later, I agree with "van". With most of the fold-down seat options, you'll need something to deal with the the transition between cargo area and seat. What looks "pretty smooth" becomes "highly annoying" when trying to go to sleep.

If you read about people who camp in Priuses, they have to put some effort into making them work (and they can work well).

I love my Prius--wouldn't want to sleep in it unless there was an emergency.
Balefire

Post by Balefire »

Tesla Model S.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Ford Transit Van
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

CheckMate404 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:39 pm There’s nothing to worry about. You tell the car where you want to go, and the car tells you if you can make it there and back. It does all the calculations regarding your current battery level, how far you’re going, the weather, the places to charge along the way...etc. If it can’t figure out a way to make the math work, it tells you, right then. There’s no ambiguity.

Even in that scenario, I’ve been able to complete the trip anyway. I just plug the car into a regular wall outlet (same as in your home) and charge it up while I’m at the destination. I can get 120 miles of charge from a regular wall outlet in a day, which is always more than enough to bridge the gap to the nearest supercharger.

It wasn’t until I rented a gas car on a work trip that I recognized the cognitive load of having to manage a gas tank. The ambiguity of, “Ok, I have 1/4th of a tank left, and I have to drive 1.5 hours to get to the office on time. Can I make it? Do I have time to stop and get gas without being late? Should I try and find gas around town now, or get on the highway first and find a rest stop gas station? If I do make it without stopping, will I have enough gas left to get to a gas station when I leave work? Darnit, why didn’t I get gas last night!” ...etc
I don't understand how one and can be a problem, but the other isn't.

There are over 100k fueling stations in America, and fewer than 1k Tesla charging stations.

Every car navigation unit can show you gas stations, which isn't really necessary as they're at almost every exit anyway.

A full splash of gas is a 5 minute ordeal, compared to a 40m+ charging session. And virtually every car has a longer range than any Tesla.

So I don't quite see the undue burden of managing a gas tank, relative to a Tesla...or even how a Tesla figures weather into it's battery calculation, because my Model 3 certainly doesn't do that.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

hunoraut wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:44 pm
CheckMate404 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:39 pm There’s nothing to worry about. You tell the car where you want to go, and the car tells you if you can make it there and back. It does all the calculations regarding your current battery level, how far you’re going, the weather, the places to charge along the way...etc. If it can’t figure out a way to make the math work, it tells you, right then. There’s no ambiguity.

There are over 100k fueling stations in America, and fewer than 1k Tesla charging stations.

Every car navigation unit can show you gas stations, which isn't really necessary as they're at almost every exit anyway.

A full splash of gas is a 5 minute ordeal, compared to a 40m+ charging session. And virtually every car has a longer range than any Tesla.

So I don't quite see the undue burden of managing a gas tank, relative to a Tesla...or even how a Tesla figures weather into it's battery calculation, because my Model 3 certainly doesn't do that.
This discussion has happened countless times on this board. There is no convincing some people that not having to go to a gas station is not "life-changing", regardless of the situation, despite the very obvious shortcomings associated with driving an EV long distances. I don't think I'll ever buy another ICE vehicle, but I just roll my eyes when I read posts like Checkmate's.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Roof Tent! Much more comfortable than sleeping in a car.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

It's clear that there are cult vehicles that solve any, or nearly any problem.

My partial list is below

any Tesla
Jeep, but it has to be a Wrangler
Crown Victoria (I didn't say it was a big cult)
any Subaru
Land Cruiser
4Runner
Sequoia
Landrover (you would have to be in a cult to buy one)
02nz

Post by 02nz »

adamthesmythe wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:28 pm It's clear that there are cult vehicles that solve any, or nearly any problem.

My partial list is below

any Tesla
Jeep, but it has to be a Wrangler
Crown Victoria (I didn't say it was a big cult)
any Subaru
Land Cruiser
4Runner
Sequoia
Landrover (you would have to be in a cult to buy one)
You forgot the Mazda Miata, which is apparently the answer to everything (a midlife crisis, at least!).
CheckMate404

Post by CheckMate404 »

hunoraut wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:44 pm

Your Model 3 certainly factors weather into its calculation, because weather affects the car's efficiency (wh/mi), which Tesla constantly monitors to determine when to charge.

It's not about the number of fueling stations.
  • The closest gas station to me is about 4 miles away. The closest charging station to me is my home.
  • When I had a gas car, every time I got in it I had to do analysis and make a decision, "Do I need gas today". Every time I get in my Tesla, it's fully charged, and the car automatically routes me if I need to charge more.
  • When I had a gas car, I had to get gas once a week. In my Tesla, I visit a supercharger maybe 3 times a year.

When in a gas car, I have to manage my gas tank. In my Tesla, the car manages it for me. It's really as simple as that.