New iPhone SE?? has anyone bought and used one?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TresBelle65

New iPhone SE?? has anyone bought and used one?

Post by TresBelle65 » Fri May 29, 2020 10:48 am

Has anyone bought one of these? Do you like it? any glitches to be aware of?

Any deals to be had?

Seeking any reviews, if possible.

Thank you!!

HEDGEFUNDIE

Re: New iPhone SE?? has anyone bought and used one?

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Fri May 29, 2020 10:50 am

Went from an X to the new SE.

Noticeably faster. Downgrade in screen takes some getting used to. Button also does not click as well as I remembered.

Overall it’s a great value and tides me over until the 12.

dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 » Fri May 29, 2020 10:54 am

My wife has one. It replaced her iPhone 8 which was just a temporary (used) solution from her OG iPhone SE. It's faster and gets better reception on Tmo due to added bands, but otherwise indistinguishable from an 8.

Not a game changing phone but it's exactly what an SE should be - state of the art processor in a cheap, reasonably sized case with good OS support.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Fri May 29, 2020 11:01 am

dukeblue219 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:54 am
My wife has one. It replaced her iPhone 8 which was just a temporary (used) solution from her OG iPhone SE. It's faster and gets better reception on Tmo due to added bands, but otherwise indistinguishable from an 8.

Not a game changing phone but it's exactly what an SE should be - state of the art processor in a cheap, reasonably sized case with good OS support.
Agreed. Wife went from 5S to an SE (huge upgrade). She was waiting for an updated smaller phones because she has small hands, so this was perfect for her.

If you are an ATT/Verizon customer and don't mind a locked variety, Walmart sells it for $200 off (or they did last I checked).

ianferrel

Post by ianferrel » Fri May 29, 2020 11:03 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:50 am
Button also does not click as well as I remembered.
Apple replaced the physical button with a simulacrum--a haptic feedback nonmoving circle--with iPhone 7, so you might be remembering the older ones that actually had a button that moved and clicked.

cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj » Fri May 29, 2020 11:07 am

This is a great phone, and very reasonably priced for any phone, let alone one from Apple.

It has the fastest phone chip ever made (the $1500 iphone has the same chip.)
I think it's a perfect size for most.

I personally have an 11 I bought last year, or I would've gotten this one.

inepteft

Post by inepteft » Fri May 29, 2020 11:35 am

I ordered the 128MB version of the new SE for my daughter by upgrading on our existing AT&T contract through Walmart online. The good news is you get $200 off the phone price which makes it an even better deal, the bad news is I still haven't received the phone (promised delivery by 5/19) and Walmart's online customer service has been shockingly incompetent for such a large company.

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Fri May 29, 2020 11:44 am

Have the original SE , like the smaller size fits in back pocket , holding off on the new one only because of the bigger size , have heard good things about it from others .

Afty

Post by Afty » Fri May 29, 2020 11:49 am

My wife upgraded from the old SE to the new SE. The new SE is noticeably bigger, which she initially didn't like but has gotten used to. Another noticeable difference is that the home button is no longer a physical button, but a "haptic" button that doesn't move but fake clicks via haptic feedback. She also initially didn't like this but has gotten used to it.

The camera is a huge upgrade. Of course it's much faster as well. I think it's the best value smartphone on the market.

Mlm

Post by Mlm » Fri May 29, 2020 11:55 am

I upgraded from a 6 to the SE 2020 yesterday. I really like the camera and the sound is noticeably better. Very happy so far.

Countingthedays

Post by Countingthedays » Fri May 29, 2020 12:12 pm

Upgraded from iPhone 6 to 128GB SE. Battery was dying on the old phone plus couldn’t get iOS 13. It’s exactly what I was waiting for — reasonably priced, great processor, good camera and battery life. I like to keep camera in my pocket, so small size (very similar to my old 6) is perfect.

chemocean

Post by chemocean » Fri May 29, 2020 12:27 pm

We bought the original 5SE in 2016 because it was compatible with European systems and are thinking about upgrading. We can purchase the new 64 g SE from Verizon for $400. Verizon is also offering the 64 g XS for $400. Does anyone know the advantages versus disadvantages of the new SE versus the XS?
While I am writing this post, thought I might go directly to Apple to see the specifications.

Afty

Post by Afty » Fri May 29, 2020 12:46 pm

Pros of XS:
  • Much larger screen in a not-much-larger body (screen goes to the edges of the phone).
  • Higher quality OLED screen instead of LCD.
  • Better camera with 2 lenses instead of 1.
  • Facial recognition instead of fingerprint for unlocking. (This might be a con now in the age of face masks).
  • Better battery life.
Pros of SE:
  • Faster processor
  • Likely to be supported longer
  • Cheaper
If you are upgrading on Verizon or AT&T, you can get a 64 GB SE for $200: https://www.walmart.com/ip/AT-T-Apple-i ... /979697514

jpelder

Post by jpelder » Fri May 29, 2020 1:06 pm

My wife just upgraded from the 6S to the SE. She really likes it. Still small enough to fit in most pockets, and the performance, battery and camera are significant upgrades from the 6s. It's basically the iPhone 7/8's body, screen, and camera with the processor from the iPhone 11. You can verify this on Apple's iPhone comparison tool.

I'm an Android guy and have a Pixel 3a. I'd say my screen and camera are slightly better than the iPhone SE, but the iPhone runs a little smoother. The iPhone will also get software updates for longer.

If you're an iPhone user and don't want any of the iPhone 11 models, the SE is a good bet.

WildBill

Post by WildBill » Fri May 29, 2020 4:19 pm

Howdy

Upgraded from 4 year old 6 s that was short on memory to new unlocked SE.

Everything I expected - new fast processor,
Lots of memory, better than decent camera, good price.

Got $80 on the trade in + $ 40 off on some random deal from,Sprint that my wife hunted up

Nice phone, very decent price

Happy telecoms

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Fri May 29, 2020 4:26 pm

ianferrel wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:03 am
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Apple replaced the physical button with a simulacrum--a haptic feedback nonmoving circle--with iPhone 7, so you might be remembering the older ones that actually had a button that moved and clicked.
Thanks. I’m sure they had a good reason but I hate it.

Beach

Post by Beach » Fri May 29, 2020 4:29 pm

Upgraded from SE to SE.
New one is bigger, not liking the size but no choice.
Home button isn't as nice for whatever reason, doesn't "click" the same
It's "faster" I guess, but not that noticeable. I only browse the internet on it, what else am I supposed to do?
Camera is better, but nothing earth shattering. I haven't actually tried to download a photo or print one up yet so maybe its alot better?
I don't use wireless charging
It doesn't charge any faster than the old one, even though they claim it does.
It does last all day on a full charge even with alot of use which is nice.

It's literally just a newer version of my phone with a slightly clearer screen.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Fri May 29, 2020 4:31 pm

Beach wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:29 pm
Upgraded from SE to SE.
The new 12 will be smaller than the new SE with a larger edge-to-edge screen

WildBill

Post by WildBill » Fri May 29, 2020 4:32 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:26 pm
ianferrel wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:03 am
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Howdy

Know what you mean. However -

In the phone setup you can adjust the “click” setting. I chose a low “click” setting and it is irritating. Too lazy so far to go back and adjust.

Happy haptic feedback

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri May 29, 2020 4:34 pm

Beach wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:29 pm
Upgraded from SE to SE.
Home button isn't as nice for whatever reason, doesn't "click" the same
It's "faster" I guess, but not that noticeable. I only browse the internet on it, what else am I supposed to do?
Camera is better, but nothing earth shattering. I haven't actually tried to download a photo or print one up yet so maybe its alot better?
I don't use wireless charging
It doesn't charge any faster than the old one, even though they claim it does.
It does last all day on a full charge even with alot of use which is nice.

It's literally just a newer version of my phone with a slightly clearer screen.
As another noted above, the home button no longer physically clicks - it just provides a bit of a vibrating feedback. It took some time for me to get used to as well, but it is more reliable.

The new SE won't charge any faster than your old SE with the included charger, but you can buy a USB-C to Lightning cable and USB-C charger, which will charge about 3x as quickly.

mattsm

Post by mattsm » Fri May 29, 2020 4:36 pm

Long time Android/Google lover... don't LOVE this phone. Terrible in lots of ways... BUT I got it because

1) Update for 4-5 years
2) $400 (well less after rebates).

Can't justify paying $800+ for an Android phone that get's updates for 2 years (sometimes less). Phone is fast, screen is crap but it works well enough. No issues with Battery but have not been out that long yet!

-M

kinless

Post by kinless » Fri May 29, 2020 4:40 pm

Upgraded to the new SE from the 6s, as I'm just not on board with the higher-end phones without TouchID at this time.

Phone is excellent for the price, with the added bonus of the latest A13 processor, I now have wireless charging, and an improved camera. The only notable losses would be 3D Touch, the 3.5" headphone jack, and a physical home button, none of which adversely affect my daily use.

There's not a lot of pizazz to it, but there doesn't really need to be. It does it job, and does it well. This phone will happily carry me though another 4-5 years.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Fri May 29, 2020 4:46 pm

Just got a 128 GB SE for my brother and a 64 gb SE for DW. We're trading in an old 6 for $200 off from this week's memorial day TMobile sale.

So far? It's nearly identical to the 6s it replaced. Which is a good thing given the cost was $650 and now it's only $400. I have kids and 3 ipads with broken home buttons. I was pleasantly surprised how quickly I got used to the new haptic home button. I am glad no more worry about crud getting into the home button and breaking it. Will also enjoy wireless charging. Again, kids, crud getting in the connector and disabling it.

FireProof

Post by FireProof » Fri May 29, 2020 5:03 pm

mattsm wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:36 pm
Long time Android/Google lover... don't LOVE this phone. Terrible in lots of ways... BUT I got it because

1) Update for 4-5 years
2) $400 (well less after rebates).

Can't justify paying $800+ for an Android phone that get's updates for 2 years (sometimes less). Phone is fast, screen is crap but it works well enough. No issues with Battery but have not been out that long yet!

-M
What's so bad about the screen? Low contrast?

mattsm

Post by mattsm » Sat May 30, 2020 2:13 pm

Totally fine just not as nice as high end one. And the bezels are large.

beastykato

Post by beastykato » Sat May 30, 2020 3:02 pm

The screen is just subpar compared to most phones in all regards these days. It's low resolution, lcd, low refresh rate, and small.

The battery is pretty lackluster. I definitely find myself having to charge it sometime midday. It's pretty disappointing compared to most of the android phones I've owned for cheaper with larger batteries (3200-5000mah).

I still really like the phone don't get me wrong it's nice and smooth and nothing speed wise compares at this price level. However, the battery is so small actually using the power is limited because truly demanding apps will kill this phone very quickly.

My personal opinion, and many will probably disagree, but I'm a budget conscious shopper and there are many better android phones at $400 and I'd never pay $400 for this phone. However, with all the provider discounts available you can get it for $200 or less. For $200 this phone is quite the performer despite its shortcomings.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Sat May 30, 2020 4:30 pm

wife upgraded from Iphone 7 to the SE (2020) faster and the iphone 7 had some glitches with notificaitons that now work with new Iphone SE (2020), plus the SE allows for fast charging and the highest memory one was $550 less $75 trade in plus $30 device credits on verizon

testing321

Post by testing321 » Sat May 30, 2020 4:34 pm

My sister's 6s+ stopped working, sent her this review and she bought one.

folkher0

Post by folkher0 » Sat May 30, 2020 5:33 pm

Mine arrived yesterday. Upgraded from 6s. First impressions: it’s fine. The experience is basically the same as the 6s with better battery, lighter and better camera. If you’re really into phones, this will probably not light you up. If you want something small, cheap and Apple that will get updates for about 4 years, this is your phone.

Walmart Verizon upgrade. 128 gb model $10.38 a month for 24 months with a presumed $40 upgrade fee. That’s about $290. My understanding is in 2 months I can unlock it and take it to another provider, which I may.

ianferrel

Post by ianferrel » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:50 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 4:26 pm
I think their reason is that moving parts are the thing most likely to break, so eliminating them makes the phones more reliable.

Pencilskirt

Post by Pencilskirt » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:25 pm

Sprint had a Memorial Day Promo. I gave them my old 7 plus and they gave me a SE 2020 for $0/month. I paid a one time $50 fee to get 128 GB but that was optional.

I like the smaller size. The camera is an upgrade for me. I’m impressed with its low light captures. It’s faster, has improved screen resolution, and wireless charging. I’m pretty happy with it.

Sprint may offer another freebie deal soon but right now you can get it for $5/mo (regularly $16.67).