Mens Wrinkle Cream

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
pjana

Mens Wrinkle Cream

Post by pjana » Thu May 28, 2020 5:31 pm

Looking in the mirror, I've noticed more and more wrinkles around my eyes. I've tried Costco's ROC deep wrinkle cream for several months, yet have detected little if any change in the wrinkles. In fact, it looks as though some bags may be forming under my eye's. Ok, I am 70 but don't feel 70 at all!

Has anyone tried a product that really works on wrinkles? I would prefer something that was fragrance free.

supalong52

Re: Mens Wrinkle Cream

Post by supalong52 » Thu May 28, 2020 5:34 pm

I hear face lifts work on wrinkles! Not sure about creams though.

Teague

Post by Teague » Thu May 28, 2020 6:18 pm

I like to think of my wrinkles, bags, spots, scars, blemishes, what have you as duly earned certificates of accomplishment. For the creams etc., even on TV ads showing before and after results, from what I've seen my reaction has always been "so what? I can barely tell any difference."

I've heard that relatively simple plastic surgery to the eyelid areas gives the biggest bang for the buck.
Semper Augustus

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Thu May 28, 2020 6:31 pm

Botox is used for eye wrinkles. But the results only last ~ 3 months.

mouses

Post by mouses » Thu May 28, 2020 6:32 pm

It's not clear to me that any of that type of stuff works, for males or females. And plastic surgery just results in a Oh look that person had plastic surgery don't they look bizarre appearance.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu May 28, 2020 6:47 pm

pjana wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:31 pm
Looking in the mirror, I've noticed more and more wrinkles around my eyes. I've tried Costco's ROC deep wrinkle cream for several months, yet have detected little if any change in the wrinkles. In fact, it looks as though some bags may be forming under my eye's. Ok, I am 70 but don't feel 70 at all!

Has anyone tried a product that really works on wrinkles? I would prefer something that was fragrance free.
Considerations:
Reduce sun exposure
Use Neutrogena sun cream 100 spf and find a tint from Revlon or other that matches your skin. Put that on in the sun.
Sleep/rest : tired eyes and fatigue makes it worse
Hydrate: lot's of water, etc.
Collagen supplements
Check your medications/side effects
Health and Nutrition: the big one. Begins from in to out.

Genetics: you have what you have.
Accept age, go for that "distinguished look".
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Thu May 28, 2020 6:56 pm

I have been told that the most effective products are those with retinol. It looks you found that. Maybe it will help at 70, particularly if this is something you are just noticing. But, they seem to market these more to people people in their 30’s, 40’s and 50’s.
Last edited by Katietsu on Thu May 28, 2020 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by 123 » Thu May 28, 2020 7:02 pm

Divert attention with a wig/hairpiece/new hairstyle, flashy glasses, dental veneers, and a new fashionable wardrobe.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Thu May 28, 2020 7:11 pm

I'll keep the wrinkles. I want people at the gym to say, "That old guy may have a lot of wrinkles but he sure works out like a younger guy!" :beer
Friar1610

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu May 28, 2020 7:16 pm

ROC Retinol Correxion Eye Cream. The one you bought, not really intended for the eyes.
Followed up by sunscreen. The sun and its progressive damage is what creates wrinkles - you think you are going to reverse 70 years of aging in 3 weeks? Be realistic.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Thu May 28, 2020 8:50 pm

+1 to hats and sunscreens used daily.

Products with retinol (over-the-counter).

Products with tretinoin (prescription).

And if you've had a lifetime of sunbathing or just being outdoors (especially if you have fair skin), the best you should expect with these measures is that the wrinkles don't get worse, or at most show mild improvement.

Botox, fillers and blepharoplasty are more advanced measures.

If you smoke, please stop.

Please see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon for more information.

(Disclaimer: I'm a PA, worked in derm for 16 years, now in a different field. However, I am not your PA, this is not medical advice :D )
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Thu May 28, 2020 9:01 pm

the most effective solution to the problem of wrinkles is reading Ernest Becker's "The Denial of Death":

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... l+of+death
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu May 28, 2020 9:43 pm

Hang out with an older crowd.
You’ll hear:
“You look great for your age”
“I remember when I was 70, that’s nothing compared to 83.”
“There’s a lot more sagging to look forward to....”
“You’re just a kid compared to the rest of us”

The sun is the worse thing for face wrinkles, then booze and smoking, staying up late, living the wild life.

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Thu May 28, 2020 9:47 pm

pjana wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:31 pm

For wrinkles, Botox is the standard go-to.

My 36 year old wife started using Defenage and it really made a difference. It plumped up her skin and made it look more youthful. Even our gay friends commented on how good she looks, and ordered some.

Note, it isn't cheap.
Last edited by unclescrooge on Fri May 29, 2020 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:52 pm

Smoking and the sun really destroys skin. None of the creams work, if they did no one would have wrinkles. And avoid surgery since it usually makes things worse. I live in Scottsdale and you see a ton of bad cosmetic surgery.

Picasso

Post by Picasso » Thu May 28, 2020 10:08 pm

mouses wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:32 pm
It's not clear to me that any of that type of stuff works, for males or females. And plastic surgery just results in a Oh look that person had plastic surgery don't they look bizarre appearance.
Like they are in a wind tunnel!

tcassette

Post by tcassette » Fri May 29, 2020 9:07 am

123 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:02 pm
Divert attention with a wig/hairpiece/new hairstyle, flashy glasses, dental veneers, and a new fashionable wardrobe.
This is sound advice. Wear a dark colored, ill-fitting toupee, and nobody will remember anything about your face.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Fri May 29, 2020 9:36 am

Sunglasses to avoid squinting. Water to stay hydrated. A cream that is an actual eye cream. Remember that you can’t control everything. Age gracefully :beer

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri May 29, 2020 10:08 am

Botox and plastic surgery are the only things that work in any way that’s actually noticeable, but they’re both expensive. Can’t say I’d recommend either unless you need to look younger for career reasons, or to convince potential mates that you’re younger than you are.

Being overweight will fill out some wrinkles, too, but the costs of that add up over time.

A more cost effective thing would recommend is stop smoking if you do. It’s easy to tell someone who smokes by how their skin looks. Use moisturizer and sunscreen regularly. Stay out of the sun, even if you’re using sunscreen. See a dermatologist regularly, to take care of potential problems before they lead to things that leave scars. Also to ask them for skin care tips. Every dermatologist I’ve met has the best skin I’ve ever seen.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.