Non-response from company re: door purchase

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Limoncello402

Non-response from company re: door purchase

Post by Limoncello402 »

I have a dilemma and am open to advice. In October 2019 I purchased a new hardwood exterior door plus lockset ($2000) from a local millwork company. Frankly, some of the reviews for this company on google were worrisome, but the majority were good, so I took a chance. It is a company with an historically very good reputation in the area, but it has been bought several times in the last number of years and thus isn't as solid as it used to be. Anyway, the door was bought and paid for, but I did not pick it up when it (evidently) arrived at the company in December because I also contracted with them for installation. Winter eased up around February and multiple phone calls to them only brought excuses: yes, your door is here, you are #1 on the list for install, but the weather is still bad, the installer is on vacation, etc. etc. By now it is mid-March and the company closed down completely for Covid. Ok, I get that there is a pandemic, but there's NO customer contact with them at all. No ability to leave a voice message, e-mails not returned, storefront still there but no one in. Their website has said "we are closed due to Covid" since mid-March. Meanwhile, it is now going on 3/4s of a year and I still have a damaged back door awaiting a new one. I don't know what to do. I don't want to be insensitive to the Covid situation but every other business in the area seems to be bending over backward to keep customers with active websites, phone availability, curbside pickup, etc. At this point, I just want my door since I am now getting convinced that the next thing that will happen is they will go out of business. What would you do? Any advice appreciated!
chessknt

Re: Non-response from company re: door purchase

Post by chessknt »

You're outside a credit card charge back window (if you even used one). Next and only step if they won't answer the phone is small claims court. If they produce your door drop the suit.
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

chessknt wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:10 pm You're outside a credit card charge back window (if you even used one). Next and only step if they won't answer the phone is small claims court. If they produce your door drop the suit.
Many cc companies will allow chargebacks outside the 60-day window. OP, I hope you paid with a credit card. If so, I'd contact the card issuer today.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Limoncello402 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:33 pm every other business in the area seems to be bending over backward to keep customers
That theory goes out the window when you pay in full up front. #1 rule on home improvement projects. Never give more than a third down at the start of the job. Now they have no incentive to do anything for you.
Topic Author
Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 »

Shout out to boglegirl for her answer! I called the credit card company, and despite the fact that I made the purchase last October they are disputing it for me and will refund the amount. I hadn't even thought of doing that!! Thanks boglegirl!!!!
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

Limoncello402 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:23 am Shout out to boglegirl for her answer! I called the credit card company, and despite the fact that I made the purchase last October they are disputing it for me and will refund the amount. I hadn't even thought of doing that!! Thanks boglegirl!!!!
Great! I know you want the door, so maybe this will light a fire under the contractor to call you and set up the installation. Or you get your $ back and can start over with another company. Either way you win :happy