The "Best of" for Aldi?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

The "Best of" for Aldi?

Post by Kennedy »

I recently bought a container of Friendly Farms whole milk Greek yogurt from Aldi. (Friendly Farms is the Aldi house brand for dairy products.) It's honestly the best yogurt I've ever had.

This now makes me wonder what other Aldi products are out there that generally exceed one's expectations. If I can buy top-notch products at an Aldi price, I'm sold.
Grt2bOutdoors

Re: The "Best of" for Aldi?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Try their dark chocolate!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 »

Last edited by Chuck107 on Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alas, I find moderation of this forum too restrictive for my tastes, farewell.
StrawMan

Post by StrawMan »

Kennedy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:17 pm I recently bought a container of Friendly Farms whole milk Greek yogurt from Aldi. (Friendly Farms is the Aldi house brand for dairy products.) It's honestly the best yogurt I've ever had.

This now makes me wonder what other Aldi products are out there that generally exceed one's expectations. If I can buy top-notch products at an Aldi price, I'm sold.
I love their Greek yogurt, both vanilla and plain. The canned tuna is also very good, specifically the Northern Catch solid albacore tuna. Jalapeño cheese curds are super yummy!

I can’t think of any bad products/experiences from Aldi’s. I’m super picky about beef so I buy that elsewhere.
Lou354

Post by Lou354 »

Simply Natural sweet potato bites (frozen).
Topic Author
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

StrawMan wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:13 pm
Kennedy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:17 pm I recently bought a container of Friendly Farms whole milk Greek yogurt from Aldi. (Friendly Farms is the Aldi house brand for dairy products.) It's honestly the best yogurt I've ever had.

I love their Greek yogurt, both vanilla and plain. The canned tuna is also very good, specifically the Northern Catch solid albacore tuna. Jalapeño cheese curds are super yummy!

I can’t think of any bad products/experiences from Aldi’s. I’m super picky about beef so I buy that elsewhere.
Any chance you've had the Costco Kirkland brand solid albacore tuna and can compare to the Northern Catch with regard to price and quality? I love the Costco tuna but would try the Aldi version if comparable.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

Dairy, bread, certain wines and imported European products (especially chocolate and beer). The selections will be minimal, but choice.
whereskyle

Post by whereskyle »

Frozen Creme puffs/mini eclairs and chocolate truffles
"I am better off than he is – for he knows nothing and thinks that he knows. I neither know nor think that I know." - Socrates. "Nobody knows nothing." - Jack Bogle
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Happy Farmer cheeses. DH loved their Vanilla wafers. Bakers Corner brownie and cake mixes! We also buy the boneless chicken legs to use in Instant Pot dishes, their 3 pack of bell peppers, Mama Casita Salsa. Their ground hamburger is very good.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

-The smoked sliced cheese- gouda and white cheddar. Mostly for snacking. Missing since Covid.
-The take and bake deli style thin crust Mega Meat pizza. It is not as good as homemade, but with slight doctoring and for ~$6 hard to beat.
-Salami bites (spicy or mild). These are about the size of quarter but about as thick as 2-3 quarters.
-Take and bake baguette. It is 95% cooked. You heat it for ~8 minutes and it is almost like homemade bread coming out of the oven. They keep longer than fresh bread and I freeze them also.
-Pita bread
-Basic napkins. Thicker than the Dollar store ones and you don't have to buy 5k like at Costco.
-Milk, eggs, flour, salt, sugar, etc. are typically cheaper than other local grocery stores
-Various specialty items that come and good. Most have been good. You do have to watch the price. For example, prosciutto at 3.99 for 3 ounces is $21/lb and no deal.
StrawMan

Post by StrawMan »

Kennedy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:28 pm
StrawMan wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:13 pm

Any chance you've had the Costco Kirkland brand solid albacore tuna and can compare to the Northern Catch with regard to price and quality? I love the Costco tuna but would try the Aldi version if comparable.
I’m sorry, I haven’t. I believe the Northern Catch solid is $1.15/can in my area. There’s several other variations as well that range in price - I just know it makes Starkist all look like cat food in comparison.
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Following with interest :sharebeer
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

Fresh cut Salsa
Salami bites
Peanut butter cookies (Way better than Tagalongs)
Take and bake pizzas
Frozen fresh cut green beans
Almond Milk
gailwinters

Post by gailwinters »

We love their frozen scallops. They’re easy to thaw and cook, they’re a good size and the texture is excellent.

Their cranberry oatmeal cookies are delicious.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

A very discerning friend and foodie believes strongly in their produce, and another comments positively on the price and quality of their Avocadoes.

Tim
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

Bananas are yummy & cheap.

Big fan of their chocolates. Aggressive pricing & yummy.

One specific protein bar they sell is really good overall: 10 grams protein, 6g of fiber, sugar & fat better or on par with their other bars, chocolate & nut based so I definitely like it, $1.75 for 5 bars. I eat one while driving to work for breakfast. Easiest breakfast, no prep, easy cleanup, dirt cheap.

Overall their frozen pizzas come out really well.
$1 saved = >$1 earned. ✓
h82goslw

Post by h82goslw »

I have a severe gluten allergy and they have a pretty good line up of gluten free foods that taste good too, with the exception of their gluten free breads.
camper1

Post by camper1 »

Both their whole bean and pre-ground coffee. Better than coffee that's 2-3 times the price.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

gailwinters wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 9:48 pm We love their frozen scallops. They’re easy to thaw and cook, they’re a good size and the texture is excellent.
Yes! Fantastic choice.

I'll add their ice cream (various flavors) and their Winking Owl wine (I particularly like shiraz).
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Chocolate bars, cheesecake, yogurt, Angus beef.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
PedsFIRE

Post by PedsFIRE »

Jar of Casa Mamita Salsa
Ranch powder
Clancy chips (restaurant or round style)
Love their avocados - great combo of quality and price
Petite sirloin steak
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

I loved their cheap $2.30 frozen pizzas but have been on a diet all year so none of that...

I buy almost everything from Aldis's Quick oats, Chicken, Red grapes, pasta, pasta sauce, greek yogurt, milk bones, spices, laundry detergent and fabric sheets etc.
greenflamingo

Post by greenflamingo »

-Traffic light peppers --great price typically for good quality red/yellow/orange peppers
-Seasonal specialty items. Usually squirreled away in a particular corner. You may find chocolate truffles, stroopwafels, and other fun treats.
-Tortilla/corn chips: Good value for quality.
-White Cheddar blocks--good flavor for the price
-Box of mixed greens for salad
-avocados
-Cara Cara oranges
-Oatmeal: Not particularly better, but a far better value
-They often have real vanilla extract that is reasonably priced
-Butter spread--made with olive oil, it's a little more natural and spreads well
-Frozen fruits/veggies
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

A quart and a half of Aldi's 'Friendly Farms' Whole Milk Greek Yogurt ($3.45) is in my frig. I top it with Aldi's 24 oz. raw honey ($6.45) and Aldi's 'Simply Nature' Milled Flax Seed. Also, a half gallon of Aldi's 'Simply Nature' Organic Whole Milk ($2.89). I like the expiration dates on the organic milk. The one I just bought several days ago has an expiration date of 8/10.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

Aldi was our regular hangout before the lockdown. Since lockdown, I see long lines outside every time I drive by (think they limit # people in the store). We now shop at Weis, not as good but no lines.

I still prefer Aldi if things start to improve. Wondering if Aldi is well stocked during this time? Can someone share their experience or observation? Thanks!

Have pretty much giving up on the Safeway near us. Have made about 4 trips since March and still see mostly empty shelves.

We are in MD/DC.

Edited once to add location.
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

We love that when we travel back to the States, we can drive just around the corner to Aldi. Many of the products are the same as here in Germany. Their chocolate is rated one of the best in Germany and it is exactly the same. Their bratwurst and salamis cut the mustard for my husband, a German. He feels quite homey in America because of Aldi. He often has long discussions with other customers about wine and beer selection at Aldi.

Our strategy is to first shop at Aldi for the basics, when in Florida, then we go to Publics for the "American stuff". It saves us a bundle.

In Aldi, we buy German beer, a big bag of frozen shrimp, oatmeal cookies (yes they are delicious), avocados and other fruits and veggies for a reasonable price, real German rye bread (a must for my husband), and all the basic things. Then we go to Publics for local things like coffee, fresher seafood and a hoagie for lunch. There are so many friendly clerks in Publics too!! Once one asked my husband if he needed some help when he was looking for tomatoes. He was a little shocked and confused as to why someone would want to help him choose tomatoes.

However, I have to say that the American Aldi clerks are much nicer than they are in Germany, where they practically throw your purchases at you. Yes, you also have to put your coin in for the wagon, so that carts don't clutter up the parking lot. But "order" must be!
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I wish we had Aldi around here (Utah). Along with the beach and my childhood friends, one of the few things we actually like about visiting California.
PedsFIRE

Post by PedsFIRE »

Faith20879 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:34 am Aldi was our regular hangout before the lockdown. Since lockdown, I see long lines outside every time I drive by (think they limit # people in the store). We now shop at Weis, not as good but no lines.

I still prefer Aldi if things start to improve. Wondering if Aldi is well stocked during this time? Can someone share their experience or observation? Thanks!

Have pretty much giving up on the Safeway near us. Have made about 4 trips since March and still see mostly empty shelves.

We are in MD/DC.

Also currently in the MD/DC area. Things were a bit crazy in March/April with everyone panic buying and shelves were barren but since the beginning of May, things are pretty well stocked and lines aren't as crazy (granted I switched from going after work to non-peak times on my day off)
Beach

Post by Beach »

We love Aldi, wish they would have some more regular brands though. All of the Aldi brand snacks are fantastic (crackers, cookies, chips) and cheap too.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

Bread
Icecream
veggies
mini croissant
No egg - chocolate puffs
Jalapeno chips
Allocation : 80/20 (90% TSM, 10% on ARKK,XBI,XLK/individual stocks and 20% TBM) | | Need to learn fishing sooner
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

Faith20879 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:34 am Aldi was our regular hangout before the lockdown. Since lockdown, I see long lines outside every time I drive by (think they limit # people in the store). We now shop at Weis, not as good but no lines.

We are in MD/DC.

I started going to Aldi because our local Kroger had long lines and empty shelves. Kroger is far more convenient for me and I have gone back some now that the craziness is dying down, but think I will likely continue to be an Aldi shopper.
gailwinters

Post by gailwinters »

Their spices and seasonings are great.

I can't always find them, but they have canned sour cherries which make a fabulous cobbler.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Beach wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:09 am We love Aldi, wish they would have some more regular brands though. All of the Aldi brand snacks are fantastic (crackers, cookies, chips) and cheap too.
That's the whole point. If they have the same brands as every grocery store and they will have the same prices what would be the point? The stores are small and they only have so much shelf space.
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

We are in MD/DC.

I shop at two different Aldi's. No lines at either store.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

minesweep wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:41 am

We are in MD/DC.

I shop at two different Aldi's. No lines at either store.
I haven't seen lines at the ones I go to. The shelves have been similar to just about every other grocery store. Sometimes lack of canned goods, pasta, paper products, etc. In the last few weeks they seemed to have just about everything.
minesweep

Post by minesweep »

Another vote for Aldi's dark chocolate bars. Love their organic 'Seedtastic' bread. Made with 21 whole grains and seeds. And when they have it in stock I pick up a jar of their red cabbage.

Post by 1789 »

They had a fantastic beer i cant remember the name currently. Have you tried that?
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Many of the Aldi products are similiar/same as Trader Joe's products - just different packaging.

If "best of" means "high end" or "specialty" - I'd go with the cheeses - love goat cheese in any flavor. Most of the specialty cheeses are great too. I prefer TJ's triple cream brie but I'll eat Aldi Brie in pinch.

There's a box of mixed crackers (I think there's 6 different crackers) that's amazingly good and inexpensive compared to the same/similar name brand box o' mixed crackers. the Aldi Faux Triskets and Faux Wheat thins are indistiguishable from the real ones (I did a taste test with friends no one could figure out which was the name brand and which was Aldi.

I like aldi chocolates and the 'specialty' breads - the one's you bake are awesome (I do sections in a toaster oven) the Naan and brioche breads are a good price and delicious. The ciabatta buns are good too. If you ever need "plain old" hotdog/hamburger buns for a cookout - Aldi's wins on taste/texture and a so much lower price. Aldi sandwich thins and whole wheat breads are comparable to the name brands and cost lots less.

The individual frozen cheese cake wedges are pretty good too. :)

Right after Thanksgiving Aldi will have frozen leg of lamb roasts (marinated) that are amazing. They go fast and they don't have alot of them.
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

1789 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:16 pm They had a fantastic beer i cant remember the name currently. Have you tried that?
Was it Wernesgruner Pils? It's made in the Eastern part of Germany near the Czech Republic border, where they know a thing or two about Pilsner beer. It has a gold and green label.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

When they have it: Simply Nature Organic Tomato & Basil pasta sauce (it's the same as TJ's Tomato Basil sauce) is tasty - it's not cloyingly sweet as most jarred sauces are. And always a reasonable price. Actually I've never had any thing bad from the "Simply Nature" line of products.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:45 pm

There's a box of mixed crackers (I think there's 6 different crackers) that's amazingly good and inexpensive compared to the same/similar name brand box o' mixed crackers.
I forgot about those. They are really good and a good price. I like the type that has seeds in it.

Some of my favorite items have disappeared to make room for bougie items. I hope they don't go too far. This is not Whole Foods. They have like 12 kinds of milk now at Aldi.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Pimento Cheese Spread
Macaroni Salad (tastes like Central PA's ASK Foods version - maybe they make it)
Burmans Mayo (Duke level)
Woven Wheat Crackers (Tricuits)
Deutsche Kuche German Style Sauerkraut
I hear the Kinroo Blue Belgian White Ale is very good too, but haven't tried it yet.

Aldi is "first list", the rest filled at Publix & Sam's.
First time my sister went to Aldi she was sure the cashier made a mistake. There are none near her home in Pennsylvania.
Last edited by KSOC on Wed May 27, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.

Post by 1789 »

Kitty Telltales wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:46 pm
1789 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:16 pm They had a fantastic beer i cant remember the name currently. Have you tried that?
Was it Wernesgruner Pils? It's made in the Eastern part of Germany near the Czech Republic border, where they know a thing or two about Pilsner beer. It has a gold and green label.
I think so. I remember it was Pilsner for sure!
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)
TrendyTightwad

Post by TrendyTightwad »

Skyr

White cheddar popcorn... just like / even better than Smartfoods!

Random things in the lawn/garden/home aisle... I bought some leaf pickup shovels for $6 a pair and a kiddie pool for $8 for the dogs. That aisle is the death of me!
DarthSage

Post by DarthSage »

It's important to remember that Aldi's cycles through some stuff. For instance, they have German specialties in the spring, then again in Sept. (Oktoberfest), and Christmas. So, I stock up at these times for my half-German husband, who appreciates the stollen, schnitzel, and other "tastes of Grandma".

Our Aldi's hasn't had a line outside, but there have been some shortages. Paper goods and meats--they're not gone, just limited. Right now, you can't count on the specials being in stock. Most meat items have a limit of two (but you can get, say, 2 packages of pork chops and 2 of hamburger).

These days, I find their fresh fruit to be wonderful--if you haven't been in an Aldi's in 5-10 years, it's worth a trip to go back and check. I remember the days when the fruit and vegetables were terrible and the meat was all frozen. They've really upped their game, and many healthy choices, gluten-free choices, organic, etc.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Friendly Farms 4% cottage cheese is excellent as is their half and half.
Their sea salt pita chips are a good deal.
Pineapples and mangoes when on sale as well as avocado's.
Their eggs are usually a great deal as are their portabella mushrooms.
Sea scallops and ahi tuna.
Winking Owl box wine.
We shop there less since this pandemic mainly because it's usually crowded.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Isn't this the store that requires you to bring a quarter with you so you can use a shopping cart? The produce section is good and the bread selection nice. And I remember some artichoke bruschetta that was pretty good while a house brand fruit grain bar was so so. There is reason it's $1.39 while the name brand is $2.49 at Safeway. The last time I went I only found a handful of items to buy, and the cashiers are straight out of 60's Soviet Union.
shell921

Post by shell921 »

breads /mini croissants
cinnamon rolls
peeled garlic cloves
avocados
lettuce
melons
bananas
Winking Owl wine
coffee
paper towels
kleenex
TP
Clancy's potato chips
artichoke bruschetta
Tub84

Post by Tub84 »

$1.49 for packaged three-cheese or spinach tortellini. 9 ounces. Just add pasta sauce and easy Italian meal for two.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

atikovi wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:56 am There is reason it's $1.39 while the name brand is $2.49 at Safeway. The last time I went I only found a handful of items to buy, and the cashiers are straight out of 60's Soviet Union.
That reason is primarily the lack of staff and variety. We shop at Aldi exclusively every time we visit California (~2 weeks each year) and its pretty crazy how much we save compared to alternatives. I don't recall every getting something and thinking that Ralph's or Walmart's or Vons or Stater Bros. version was any better.