The "Best of" for Aldi?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
alex11

Re: The "Best of" for Aldi?

Post by alex11 » Thu May 28, 2020 8:31 am

Try the Ciabatta bread, it comes in a pack of 6. We make toasted ham and cheese sandwiches with these that are amazing!

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Thu May 28, 2020 8:31 am

stoptothink wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:27 am
atikovi wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:56 am
There is reason it's $1.39 while the name brand is $2.49 at Safeway. The last time I went I only found a handful of items to buy, and the cashiers are straight out of 60's Soviet Union.
That reason is primarily the lack of staff and variety. We shop at Aldi exclusively every time we visit California (~2 weeks each year) and its pretty crazy how much we save compared to alternatives. I don't recall every getting something and thinking that Ralph's or Walmart's or Vons or Stater Bros. version was any better.
In this case the Nutrigrain version IS better, or at least I thought it is.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu May 28, 2020 9:09 am

Kennedy wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:17 pm
I recently bought a container of Friendly Farms whole milk Greek yogurt from Aldi. (Friendly Farms is the Aldi house brand for dairy products.) It's honestly the best yogurt I've ever had.

This now makes me wonder what other Aldi products are out there that generally exceed one's expectations. If I can buy top-notch products at an Aldi price, I'm sold.
I've liked everyone I have tried. I usually buy store brands anyway.

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Thu May 28, 2020 9:10 am

we tried an Aldi's near us years ago - "one and done". Crowded aisles, couldn't move around easily, poor selection, messy picked over displays, just too much of a hassle overall. May just be that the stores near here are poorly managed. But a new one just recently opened - seems like many on here like them - so may give it another shot in a few months. Maybe things have changed in the past 5-7 years. :D

For now, we've ditched all regular stores and buy 100% of our groceries through Walmart delivery and pickup. They've been doing better re: in stock availability than our regular markets , other than a few problem items. I like Great Value brands.

Zero desire to be inside stores for a while longer. But if things calm down, we'll definitely pop back into Aldi's to check it out.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Thu May 28, 2020 10:14 am

I thought of something else: Aldi brand Diet Coke is surprisingly good. I might prefer it to regular Diet Coke, but not as much as varieties of Coke-brand Coke Zero.
1789 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 1:16 pm
They had a fantastic beer i cant remember the name currently. Have you tried that?
Yes, fantastic beer does tend to have this effect.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

ILnative

Post by ILnative » Thu May 28, 2020 10:23 am

Lots already mentioned - two I'll add

Sea Salt Pita Chips - best out there - and believe me we have tried them all
Brownie Batter Hummus

LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae » Thu May 28, 2020 11:02 am

atikovi wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:31 am
stoptothink wrote:
atikovi wrote:
There is reason it's $1.39 while the name brand is $2.49 at Safeway. The last time I went I only found a handful of items to buy, and the cashiers are straight out of 60's Soviet Union.
That reason is primarily the lack of staff and variety. We shop at Aldi exclusively every time we visit California (~2 weeks each year) and its pretty crazy how much we save compared to alternatives. I don't recall every getting something and thinking that Ralph's or Walmart's or Vons or Stater Bros. version was any better.
that's one of the caveats about Aldi. You have to give their products a try to see if they are to your taste. I like name brand Cheerios (but hate the price and the constant waiting for sales/coupons) I tried the Aldi version - and I will admit they are NOT Cheerios - but I still like them and am happy eating them (and saving tons of money). I also like shredded wheat - I'd rather have the name brand versus the Aldi brand.

For "staples" like milk, sour cream, cream cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, butter, flour, sugar, table salt, etc it's hard to beat Aldi's prices. A friend swears by their lactose free milk (it costs dramatically less than at the big box stores).

Atleast the prices are low enough that if you don't like something it's so painful to your wallet. (I'm not fond of Aldi yogurt cups - although plain low fat greek yogurt is OK in a pinch). I have never bothered with the Aldi gaurentee for something I didn't like. I just didn't feel like I needed to get my less than $2 back for something I tried and didn't like.

LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae » Thu May 28, 2020 11:08 am

BogleFanGal wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:10 am
we tried an Aldi's near us years ago - "one and done". Crowded aisles, couldn't move around easily, poor selection, messy picked over displays, just too much of a hassle overall. May just be that the stores near here are poorly managed. But a new one just recently opened - seems like many on here like them - so may give it another shot in a few months. Maybe things have changed in the past 5-7 years. :D

For now, we've ditched all regular stores and buy 100% of our groceries through Walmart delivery and pickup. They've been doing better re: in stock availability than our regular markets , other than a few problem items. I like Great Value brands.

Zero desire to be inside stores for a while longer. But if things calm down, we'll definitely pop back into Aldi's to check it out.
If a new Aldi was just built - it's their new format store. It will have wider aisles and have a bigger foot print. The layout of the store will be different too... fruit/veggies and bread will be first (versus candy, chips, alchohol). I don't really care for the "industrial" look and dark color palette but it's not enough to make me not shop there. I will admit the "sharp/bright" led lights bother me - I'm weird other people don't notice it. I've had that experience in other stores. It's not enough to keep me out of a new format store. If you do have a brand new Aldi - I'd definitely stop in and check it out. The new stores have all the same products just in a more modern shopping experience.

You'll still need a quarter to get a cart (if you need one) and will need to bring your own bags. If I'm only getting a few items (I shop from a list) I won't bother with a cart - I'll just put the stuff in my shopping bag - unload at check out - and the cashier will typically put the stuff back into the bag as I hold it open.

LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae » Thu May 28, 2020 11:14 am

ILnative wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 10:23 am
Lots already mentioned - two I'll add

Sea Salt Pita Chips - best out there - and believe me we have tried them all
Brownie Batter Hummus
Funny you should mention that - I agree.

(I'd also add that the boxed brownie mix - that you bake yourself - is quite good. Pick up a bag of dried cherries OR the Aldi "faux oreos" at the same time. Add a quarter cup of chopped dried cherries OR add a cup of crushed "faux oreos" to the batter and bake. Very tasty!!)

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu May 28, 2020 11:16 am

LittleMaggieMae wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:02 am
atikovi wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
atikovi wrote:
that's one of the caveats about Aldi. You have to give their products a try to see if they are to your taste. I like name brand Cheerios (but hate the price and the constant waiting for sales/coupons) I tried the Aldi version - and I will admit they are NOT Cheerios - but I still like them and am happy eating them (and saving tons of money). I also like shredded wheat - I'd rather have the name brand versus the Aldi brand.

For "staples" like milk, sour cream, cream cheese, cottage cheese, eggs, butter, flour, sugar, table salt, etc it's hard to beat Aldi's prices. A friend swears by their lactose free milk (it costs dramatically less than at the big box stores).

Atleast the prices are low enough that if you don't like something it's so painful to your wallet. (I'm not fond of Aldi yogurt cups - although plain low fat greek yogurt is OK in a pinch). I have never bothered with the Aldi gaurentee for something I didn't like. I just didn't feel like I needed to get my less than $2 back for something I tried and didn't like.
Therein lies the difference for us; we aren't buying much processed food, it's hard for Aldi to mess up a stalk of broccoli or chicken breast, but the prices beat competitors. We haven't tried their cereal or granola bars.

LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae » Thu May 28, 2020 11:32 am

Another thing about Aldi that I guess people don't like is that there aren't 15 different versions of each product. there might only be one (or two or three). I like that. If I'm buying salsa I don't want to have to decide between 10 different brand names and then 5 variations of each brand. Aldi has their house brand (3 or 4 different variations) and maybe another brand (with some variations).

I do like that the Aldi products don't constantly change their basic products. Also, Aldi prices tend to stay stable for months and months. Something MIGHT go on sale and be .10 or .20 cents less than normal - but there's no crazy swings in prices.

greenflamingo

Post by greenflamingo » Thu May 28, 2020 11:35 am

BogleFanGal wrote:

There's definitely variability within different Aldis, though perhaps not more than most other non-high-end chains. Around here, they've been doing a big renovation push that has improved navigability and quality throughout. I've also seen improvements of cleanliness, orderliness, etc. over the last decade.

I will say: Since COVID started, the Aldi has been the most consistently cleaned and stocked store in town. There's almost always one of their staff going around cleaning. At ours they have done away with quarters and have staff sanitizing carts.

rooms222

Post by rooms222 » Thu May 28, 2020 11:42 am

Going to different Aldis lately, some have stopped the quarter for the cart and some have not. Imagine they will get more consistent soon. The ones without the quarter have nicely requested that you bring the cart back so it can be cleaned after you are finished.

Angst

Post by Angst » Thu May 28, 2020 11:48 am

stoptothink wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:16 am
Therein lies the difference for us; we aren't buying much processed food, it's hard for Aldi to mess up a stalk of broccoli or chicken breast, but the prices beat competitors. We haven't tried their cereal or granola bars.
I love Aldi for its value, but one needs to be a careful shopper, at least with the likes of broccoli and chicken breasts!

I buy lots of fresh fruit and vegetables from Aldi, and like you, I am not much for processed foods, but I examine everything very carefully! I find it's like buying "seconds". Broccoli from Aldi is more prone to having a kind of "browning" hiding within it, where you get veins or striations of often hidden diseased broccoli stalks. Anyone who buys and prepares a lot of broccoli will know what I'm talking about. I often need to excise a fair amount out of many broccoli stalks.

Strawberries are another great value at Aldi that bear careful scrutiny; they can go bad/rotten in the blink of an eye. I'm not going into all the specific fruit and vegetable caveats, and I've already noted that I LOVE Aldi for its value, but much of its fruit and vegetables require close attention. The big name stores consistently have much less of a problem in this respect.

Chicken breasts... and other parts: Read the fine print! I find that most packaged fresh chicken cut into parts at Aldi has from 12 to 20% added water. So when considering the price/lb you're paying, you should be adding something like 14 to 25% to the cost. Big name stores can add water too, but often they don't. Aldi almost always does.

LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae » Thu May 28, 2020 12:16 pm

I think it's always wise to be a careful shopper when buying "perishables" - like fruit, vegetables, and dairy - no matter what store you are in.

I have plenty examples of fruit/veggies bought at the likes of Tony's, Jewel, Walmart, and Target where it looked OK on quick inspection but turned out to not be - with a day or two of purchase.

I will admit I have never found a product past it's best by date at Aldi. I have found plenty of products on the selves at my local Jewel that are at or beyond their best by dates (canned goods, jarred goods, boxed goods). I've had the misfortune to have purchased some of them back before I learned to check EVERYTHING being purchased - don't just grab and go...

cashheavy18

Post by cashheavy18 » Thu May 28, 2020 12:30 pm

Nowizard wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:53 pm
A very discerning friend and foodie believes strongly in their produce, and another comments positively on the price and quality of their Avocadoes.

Tim
I'm a self-proclaimed discerning foodie and I agree with your friends comments as well. Produce is good and their avocados are really good. Prices on everything are very good!

minesweep

Post by minesweep » Thu May 28, 2020 12:37 pm

LittleMaggieMae wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:08 am
BogleFanGal wrote:

If a new Aldi was just built - it's their new format store. It will have wider aisles and have a bigger foot print. The layout of the store will be different too... fruit/veggies and bread will be first (versus candy, chips, alchohol). I don't really care for the "industrial" look and dark color palette but it's not enough to make me not shop there. I will admit the "sharp/bright" led lights bother me - I'm weird other people don't notice it. I've had that experience in other stores. It's not enough to keep me out of a new format store. If you do have a brand new Aldi - I'd definitely stop in and check it out. The new stores have all the same products just in a more modern shopping experience.

You'll still need a quarter to get a cart (if you need one) and will need to bring your own bags. If I'm only getting a few items (I shop from a list) I won't bother with a cart - I'll just put the stuff in my shopping bag - unload at check out - and the cashier will typically put the stuff back into the bag as I hold it open.
You don't need to bring your own bag. They sell them at the register. I usually bring an empty pineapple box that I picked up at the supermarket some time ago (they have a handy opening on the ends to insert my hands). If I just have just 8-10 items I just put the box on the conveyor belt and the cashier takes each item out and puts them right back in the box (no cart necessary). In the warmer weather I bring along a freezer chest and ice pack in the trunk of my car to put the refrigerated items in. The are 2 Aldi's is about 5 miles away (in different directions) and sometimes I have another stop or two to make on the way home.

The quarter for the cart is all about being efficient. They only need two workers in the store. One to operate the register and the other to stock the shelves. When the line backs up the worker at the register beeps the other worker to come help out at the register. Although they had 3 register's open the last time I went to the one store (so maybe they are having increased volume and are making changes in the regards).

P.S. I've been going to Aldi's since way back in the 1990's. IMO they have the fastest checkout registers.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle

Kagord

Post by Kagord » Thu May 28, 2020 12:41 pm

atikovi wrote:
... and the cashiers are straight out of 60's Soviet Union.
Not sure what you mean here. I shop at a few Aldis, I don't know about elsewhere, the Aldi's cashiers where I live, IMHO, are actually a tad faster than Costco.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Thu May 28, 2020 12:44 pm

minesweep wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:37 pm

P.S. I've been going to Aldi's since way back in the 1990's. IMO they have the fastest checkout registers.
Large barcodes at several spots on the products help.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

MrBeaver

Post by MrBeaver » Thu May 28, 2020 12:57 pm

• Red pesto – It's a roasted tomato and garlic pesto (instead of basil / green) that is to die for. We keep 6-12 cans in the pantry just in case they run into a supply shortage as they did in early 2019.
  • Coconut whole milk greek yogurt – I was getting the same large tub of plain/vanilla that you describe, but it's the same yogurt with different flavoring for the same or sometimes even cheaper price in single tubs. I have been known to buy out their entire stock by grabbing a couple of cardboard trays full before. What can I say, we have two young kids that devour the stuff.
  • Maple syrup. Unless you're in the great lakes region where you can get low priced local syrup, this is the best quality and price I've found.
  • Ice cream - I find they carry local brands for ~15-20% discount compared to other retailers. In Texas, we have Blue Bell. Yumm...
We get pretty much everything from Aldi. It's simpler to say what they don't have that I must get elsewhere, or am sad I have to go without:
  • Dark brown sugar – the light stuff just doesn't cut it for this baker.
  • Molasses – they used to carry this, but I haven't seen it in a while.
  • Mint fudge cookies – their version was awesome, but it has been confirmed that they discontinued them. I'm sad.
  • Sun-dried tomatoes
  • Oat groats – bought bulk from Winco and rolled fresh in our oat roller
  • Wheat berries – bought bulk from Winco and ground in our electric mill
That's literally it. All other food is either grown in our garden or purchased at Aldi.

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Thu May 28, 2020 1:03 pm

Kagord wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:41 pm
atikovi wrote:
Not sure what you mean here. I shop at a few Aldis, I don't know about elsewhere, the Aldi's cashiers where I live, IMHO, are actually a tad faster than Costco.
I mean they never smile, speak very little and just seem like this is the last place they would want to be.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu May 28, 2020 2:01 pm

rooms222 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:42 am
Going to different Aldis lately, some have stopped the quarter for the cart and some have not. Imagine they will get more consistent soon. The ones without the quarter have nicely requested that you bring the cart back so it can be cleaned after you are finished.
Yes, but they tend to still load your order at the checkout onto the cart left from the potentially infected customer that has checked out ahead of you. So, unless you specifically ask for the cashier to disinfected that second cart, the system isn't as secure as it appears.

rooms222

Post by rooms222 » Thu May 28, 2020 2:06 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:01 pm
rooms222 wrote:
Yes, but they tend to still load your order at the checkout onto the cart left from the potentially infected customer that has checked out ahead of you. So, unless you specifically ask for the cashier to disinfected that second cart, the system isn't as secure as it appears.
Very true! I didn´t notice that. I think they were doing that at some Aldis, and using yours at others. Somewhat inconsistent.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Thu May 28, 2020 2:19 pm

rooms222 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:06 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 2:01 pm
rooms222 wrote:
Very true! I didn´t notice that. I think they were doing that at some Aldis, and using yours at others. Somewhat inconsistent.
According to this memo posted on their corporate website on April, ¨Effective immediately, we are suspending the practice of placing customer´s scanned items into a different cart at checkout.¨

https://corporate.aldi.us/en/newsroom/a ... il-2-2020/

You might want to point out this corporate policy to your local manager.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu May 28, 2020 2:29 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:43 pm
-The smoked sliced cheese- gouda and white cheddar. Mostly for snacking. Missing since Covid.
-The take and bake deli style thin crust Mega Meat pizza. It is not as good as homemade, but with slight doctoring and for ~$6 hard to beat.
-Salami bites (spicy or mild). These are about the size of quarter but about as thick as 2-3 quarters.
-Take and bake baguette. It is 95% cooked. You heat it for ~8 minutes and it is almost like homemade bread coming out of the oven. They keep longer than fresh bread and I freeze them also.
-Pita bread
-Basic napkins. Thicker than the Dollar store ones and you don't have to buy 5k like at Costco.
-Milk, eggs, flour, salt, sugar, etc. are typically cheaper than other local grocery stores
-Various specialty items that come and good. Most have been good. You do have to watch the price. For example, prosciutto at 3.99 for 3 ounces is $21/lb and no deal.
Depends if it's from Parma or not. $21 a pound isn't that bad for the real deal.

cutterinnj

Post by cutterinnj » Thu May 28, 2020 2:44 pm

Aldi’s is the poster child for efficiency.
Every step they make, from store design on, is to make their operations efficient.

Examples
-they plan and build their stores (rather than move into prebuilt space) with quality materials to ensure insolation is excellent and it lasts for decades
- everything is delivered on cardboard racks, and the clerks just move the entire rack into a shelf rather than having to move individual items
- you WILL return shopping carts (and they don’t need to pay an employee to do so)
- the check out is an assembly line- everything just keeps moving while it is scanned and drops into your cart (no bags!). Pay with Apple Pay in about 5 seconds
- small, efficient space- only 5 small aisles. Much cheaper to heat and cool

I just get a big smile on my face when I walk in. It’s like if Jack Bogle désignéd a grocery store.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu May 28, 2020 3:06 pm

LittleMaggieMae wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:02 am
atikovi wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
atikovi wrote:

I gave up brand names for most items a long time ago. Sure name brands may have a better product but to spend $30 or $40 more a cart for everything brand name is crazy in my book.

Heinz Ketchup(No hFCS), Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, Coke(when I drink it) and Marzetti Tamed Jalapeno's are the only thing I won't budge on.

shunkman

Post by shunkman » Thu May 28, 2020 3:57 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:00 pm
Try their dark chocolate!
Here's a boglehead tip. Buy their dark chocolate bits and eat them right from the bag. This is cheaper than buying their bar chocolate.

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Thu May 28, 2020 4:02 pm

shunkman wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 3:57 pm
Buy their dark chocolate bits and eat them right from the bag.
Do people actually like dark chocolate? Baked into something, OK, but straight?

MP173

Post by MP173 » Thu May 28, 2020 4:16 pm

It is as if Jack Bogle decided to move into grocery industry once Vanguard was up and running. Very efficient.

Our local Aldi is on the other side of town and there is a local chain five minutes away, so we make an Aldi trip about every 3 weeks and use the local chain to fill in.

Honestly I cannot think of anything we have been disappointed in. Here are a few items used with comments:
Clancy Chips - slightly not as good, but at a fraction of the cost. Worth it.
Crackers - excellent
produce - we purchase mushrooms, mini peppers, and several other items. Never had an issue.
Ketchup and mustard - great quality at 50% price
BBQ - they have a mustard based Q sauce that is great
Salad Dressings - $2 a jar and as good as the brands
Cottage Cheese and Low Fat Vanilla Yogart. $1.89 vs $3.00. High quality
Eggs - less than $1 per dozen.
Milk - about same price as stores who use it as loss leader
Granola bars - half price of Nature Valley - same recipe.
Bread - we purchased sourdough bread last trip for $1.89 a loaf - outstanding taste. Down to the last piece and considering going for that.
Cake mixes - .89 per box. Grandkids love making cupcakes...no complaints.
Fresh cheese pizza - 16" for $5.00 - we add other things. Nice quick pizza. Not as good as a pizza parlor, but ok.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

Service there is efficient. Checkout personel do not seem to be from Soviet Union....all spoke fluent natural English. Dont mind bagging our groceries as we can pre-block the bags for easy distribution at home.

Quarter for a cart? No one pays...everyone passes their cart on.

They have been efficient in monitoring the number of shoppers by limiting the number of carts in the building.

Ed

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu May 28, 2020 4:18 pm

atikovi wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:02 pm
shunkman wrote:
I don't particularly like chocolate, but I actually enjoy 100% cacao bars. So, yes.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Thu May 28, 2020 4:21 pm

It is as if Jack Bogle decided to move into grocery industry once Vanguard was up and running. Very efficient.

Our local Aldi is on the other side of town and there is a local chain five minutes away, so we make an Aldi trip about every 3 weeks and use the local chain to fill in.

Honestly I cannot think of anything we have been disappointed in. Here are a few items used with comments:
Clancy Chips - slightly not as good, but at a fraction of the cost. Worth it.
Crackers - excellent
produce - we purchase mushrooms, mini peppers, and several other items. Never had an issue.
Ketchup and mustard - great quality at 50% price
BBQ - they have a mustard based Q sauce that is great
Salad Dressings - $2 a jar and as good as the brands
Cottage Cheese and Low Fat Vanilla Yogart. $1.89 vs $3.00. High quality
Eggs - less than $1 per dozen.
Milk - about same price as stores who use it as loss leader
Granola bars - half price of Nature Valley - same recipe.
Bread - we purchased sourdough bread last trip for $1.89 a loaf - outstanding taste. Down to the last piece and considering going for that.
Cake mixes - .89 per box. Grandkids love making cupcakes...no complaints.
Fresh cheese pizza - 16" for $5.00 - we add other things. Nice quick pizza. Not as good as a pizza parlor, but ok.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

Service there is efficient. Checkout personel do not seem to be from Soviet Union....all spoke fluent natural English. Dont mind bagging our groceries as we can pre-block the bags for easy distribution at home.

Quarter for a cart? No one pays...everyone passes their cart on.

They have been efficient in monitoring the number of shoppers by limiting the number of carts in the building.

Ed

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu May 28, 2020 7:18 pm

atikovi wrote:
shunkman wrote:
Straight - it's the only way to go. Milk is loaded with sugar and excess fillers/vegetable fats. Dark is loaded with antioxidants, embrace it - you can get various percentages, but a good compromise may be the 72% version, 85/90% requires an open mind to enjoy the flavors and a little goes a long way.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu May 28, 2020 7:31 pm

atikovi wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:03 pm
Kagord wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:41 pm
atikovi wrote:
I mean they never smile, speak very little and just seem like this is the last place they would want to be.
LOL! This made me laugh, I thought the same the first time I walked into the store, and if it doesn't remind you of the Soviet Union, the shelves reminded me of Poland in the 80's.

The chocolate though, is good, even the milk version is good. They don't have one close to my neighborhood so I can't get there to buy the perishables. The paying for bags though, that gets my goat. I mean come on, just tack on a dime to the order and give us the bags. Reminds me of Europe when you order a burger and then they inform you that ketchup is 5 Eurocent for 1 packet, I mean come on!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

totallynotsure

Post by totallynotsure » Thu May 28, 2020 7:33 pm

was pleasantly surprised by their tuna. i cooked it rare and it tasted good.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu May 28, 2020 7:35 pm

totallynotsure wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:33 pm
was pleasantly surprised by their tuna. i cooked it rare and it tasted good.
Are you sure it was actually tuna? :twisted: Given your moniker? :wink:

LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae » Thu May 28, 2020 8:32 pm

I would never dis the Aldi cashiers - even if I had a grumpy one.

I have never, not once, been overcharged for an item, had an item rung up multiple times when I only bought one, or have some of my purchased items go AWOL (they didn't make it home to my kitchen and weren't in my car). The Aldi cashiers have NEVER smushed my bread products or placed heavy cans or heavy anything on my bananas or carton of eggs or bag of chips. I have never felt cheated at Aldi because I foolishly bought 3 or 4 or something they had some weird sale scheme outlined in small print (buy 5 and get each item for $1.00 - buy less than 5 pay full price) but the signage says in big letters 5 for $5.00 - especially when in the past (or currently in the store they have sales) where % for $% means each item was $1.00 no matter how many you bought. I hate Jewel Osco with the passion of 10,000 burning suns. I refuse to shop there. they have gotten enough of my money for "free". I assume this is how they stay in business... all the overages per cart much be a nice "profit".

I have had every one of those things happen over and over and over at Jewel, Walmart, and Tony's. If you don't watch the cashier and baggers like a hawk - something bad will happen. And while you are watching them you can't watch the "screen" with the prices to make sure no double/triple rings or non sale price or just outright wrong prices. And then after standing in a check out line for 20 minutes - you get to go stand in line at customer service to get the mistakes fixed.

I love Aldi. It simplifies my shopping life.
Last edited by LittleMaggieMae on Thu May 28, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Thu May 28, 2020 8:36 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 7:18 pm
atikovi wrote:
shunkman wrote:
Straight - it's the only way to go. Milk is loaded with sugar and excess fillers/vegetable fats. Dark is loaded with antioxidants, embrace it - you can get various percentages, but a good compromise may be the 72% version, 85/90% requires an open mind to enjoy the flavors and a little goes a long way.
Dark chocolate to me tastes like medicine. Not something I would willingly eat. But then, I don't drink coffee either which is even worse the first and only time I tasted it as a kid. The smell is ok though.

theDON2050

Post by theDON2050 » Thu May 28, 2020 8:52 pm

Aldi Brand Peanut Butter Cups
Moser Roth Dark Sea Salt Chocolate
Super Premium Chocolate Ice Cream

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Thu May 28, 2020 11:15 pm

Also have to chime in for the "Aisle of Shame". I've gotten many legitimately good products from there. Can opener. Winter boots. Dish drying rack. Some pots & pans. Gardening pots & tools.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Fri May 29, 2020 6:58 am

Chips, cookies, fruits at various times. Cheese and yogurt, too.

With respect to cookies, they had three a Girl Scout knockoffs, now down to two. Their "thin mint" cookies are gone here, which I thought were good. Are those still carried in other locales?

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Fri May 29, 2020 9:48 am

Cubicle wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:15 pm
Also have to chime in for the "Aisle of Shame". I've gotten many legitimately good products from there. Can opener. Winter boots. Dish drying rack. Some pots & pans. Gardening pots & tools.
I have never heard the term aisle of shame but I can picture it by what you're referencing finding there. Why is it called that?

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Sat May 30, 2020 12:11 am

^^^ Almost an internet meme. Just the randomness of things you'd find there while shopping for eggs, bread, & milk.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aldi/comments/ ... nds_insta/

https://www.google.com/search?q=aldi+aisle+of+shame
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

DiamondplateDave

Post by DiamondplateDave » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:09 pm

There's a few items I can think of:
-After shying away from them for several years, I tried the "Benton's Fudge Marshmallow Cookies". I haven't done a side-by-side comparison, but I believe they are comparable to the Na******co Pinwheels of my youth.
-The Simply Nature Chipotle Ranch dressing is excellent. A tossed salad with some shredded cheese and a chicken breast sliced into it is a common dinner for me.
-The blue corn chips are comparable to the ones in the supermarket for twice the price.
-I believe they have an organic ketchup with no crap in it.
I bought a bunch of Metro Racks for about $33 a while back. They have served well, and came with wheels, which are about $16 additional on the more expensive racks at the Big Box stores.
My friend recommended the Aldi brand Sloppy Joe sauce. I didn't think it was as good as Manwich; but certainly could be gussied up. Otherwise, pretty happy with everything I've gotten. A big "Me Too" to the poster who talked about the games the big chains play. I love the low stress level of being able to get in, get out, and not usually having any problem. Once, I got charged for an extra candy bar; a couple times I've bought expensive Organic produce that was placed/stocked in the area for the regular produce. The big chains seem to have a better than even chance I will have to go stand in line at CS to get something made right. So, I'm overall very happy with Aldi.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:19 pm

minesweep wrote:

The ergonomics is amazing. I actually cringe anytime I go to a normal supermarket where cashiers have to bend over, use their back and lift full bags of groceries. For those who haven't been to an Aldi, the cashiers sit in front of the scanner. The belt brings them items, they move them sideways over the scanner and lower them into the shopping cart next to them. No lifting involved at all. It's also incredibly fast compared to normal grocery stores.

hmw

Post by hmw » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:36 pm

michaelingp wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:19 pm
minesweep wrote:

The ergonomics is amazing. I actually cringe anytime I go to a normal supermarket where cashiers have to bend over, use their back and lift full bags of groceries. For those who haven't been to an Aldi, the cashiers sit in front of the scanner. The belt brings them items, they move them sideways over the scanner and lower them into the shopping cart next to them. No lifting involved at all. It's also incredibly fast compared to normal grocery stores.
I think it may be a German thing. I have never been inside an Aldi. But I saw the same setup in Munich several years ago. It does make a lot of sense.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:22 pm

michaelingp wrote:
minesweep wrote:
Don't get me wrong I love Aldi, but Aldi checkout cashiers are the slowest thing going.

Where have you been, all grocery store checkouts have had conveyor belts for decades. Likewise the cashiers at other grocery stores just move them across the scanner. Yes, the cashiers are standing, but they are far more efficient than Aldi's sitting cashiers. The conveyor belts at ALDI and other grocery stores are at the same height so how is there less lifting at Aldi?

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:24 pm

rooms222 wrote:
The ones in my area stopped requiring the quarter because they no longer offer the baskets you can carry due to Covid.

The Aldi's cashiers are faster than any other grocery store I go to. Part of it is they don't have to bag things. Most of the produce has scanner codes to so they don't have to look up most of the produce like at other stores.

Kagord

Post by Kagord » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:14 am

Spirit Rider wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:22 pm
michaelingp wrote:
minesweep wrote:
Don't get me wrong I love Aldi, but Aldi checkout cashiers are the slowest thing going.
LOL, you're joking right? Slowest of them all? or maybe your Aldi's store is not managed how most that I've been in are. I stated earlier, IMHO, Aldi's is faster than Costco on a per item basis (except for items requiring weight), and Costco is faster than everybody else. At the ones I go to, they are directing customers to put items on the belt, put your card in the machine now (early) please, go to cash register X, someone will be there shortly...etc. It's quite obvious this is all trained to achieve maximum throughput, I suspect, so the cashiers, which are probably not union, can stock shelves during slow/down periods. I wouldn't be surprised if Aldi's has squeezed as much productivity as possible from an employee.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:27 am

Kagord wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:14 am
Spirit Rider wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:22 pm
LOL, you're joking right? Slowest of them all? or maybe your Aldi's store is not managed how most that I've been in are. I stated earlier, IMHO, Aldi's is faster than Costco on a per item basis (except for items requiring weight), and Costco is faster than everybody else. At the ones I go to, they are directing customers to put items on the belt, put your card in the machine now (early) please, go to cash register X, someone will be there shortly...etc. It's quite obvious this is all trained to achieve maximum throughput, I suspect, so the cashiers, which are probably not union, can stock shelves during slow/down periods. I wouldn't be surprised if Aldi's has squeezed as much productivity as possible from an employee.
I don't know where you live, but we have diametrically opposed grocery store cashier efficiency experiences. I haven't used Costco in several years so I can't comment there. Maybe because there are no unionized cashiers, the grocery store cashiers where I go smoke ALDI cashiers.