does anyone have a subscription to youtube tv?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
schmitz

does anyone have a subscription to youtube tv?

Post by schmitz » Tue May 26, 2020 2:05 pm

Sounds like a really good alternative to cable but wanted to get some opinions on it.
do you recommend it?
what are its best features? what are its worst ones?

any input is appreciated!

bloom2708

Re: does anyone have a subscription to youtube tv?

Post by bloom2708 » Tue May 26, 2020 2:10 pm

We are subscribers. I moved when PlayStation Vue announced it was closing up.

YTTV is great. A very simple UI. Easy to navigate, large font guide, easy search, DVR most anything. Customize the guide order and hide channels you don't watch.

We use it on Fire TV Cubes and Boxes. They have more processor power and RAM compared to sticks. The phone and tablet app is very good.

Very happy with the channel lineup and features. So far, the price is holding steady at $49.99/month.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Tue May 26, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Tue May 26, 2020 2:18 pm

You Tube TV is excellent. Gets all local channels, cable sports and news, etc.

I really like the DVR feature. Unlimited storage, recorded shows hang around for a year. We like the original Law and Order, which is currently shown on several cable channels, and we accumulated all 22 seasons of episodes, properly sorted into order, within just a few months. Once you set a program to record, it will record all episodes without further action on our part.

We love YTTV. And did I mention that we like the DVR? :D
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue May 26, 2020 2:37 pm

Switched in December after getting fed up with Comcast. Absolutely love it. Each of us has our own profile (you can have up to 5 per account), with our own preferences and DVR configuration. Very easy to switch between them as needed, and the interface in general is clean and easy to use. Works great on any device--lately we like to sit in the backyard after work with some beverages and watch the news. I drop my Surface Pro on the table and fire it up. DVR is totally unlimited--no capacity concerns, no tuner limitations--Record 40 channels at the same time, and keep 500 episodes of a program, no problem. And remember you get FIVE of them. Recordings age out after 9 months.

Inside the house, we've standardized on FireTV. 4k Cubes on all the "primary" TVs, and 4k Sticks on the occasional-use ones. It's awesome having the same exact interface and simple remote on all our TVs from 4 different brands, ranging in age from 1 to 8 years old. Video quality is generally better than what I was getting from Comcast, and the interface is more responsive than the Tivos I was using previously (and WAAAAY more responsive than the Comcast cable boxes my parents have).

Downsides? It may not have every channel you're interested in. For the moment, we're supplementing with Philo ($20/mo). But as more channels get added, this may change. I really miss my Tivo's quick mode, which accelerates playback by 30%, and pitch corrects the audio. GREAT way to speed through football games. And currently, there's no way to download content to watch when you don't have internet. VoD content (ie, back episodes of shows you currently have set to record) has unskippable commercials. But that's pretty much it.

onourway

Post by onourway » Tue May 26, 2020 2:49 pm

It's exactly what modern tv should be. I cringe every time I have to use a traditional cable/satellite interface at a friend/family member's house or at a hotel.

Roadhog

Post by Roadhog » Tue May 26, 2020 2:58 pm

Switched over to YTTV in February and really like it. Saves a ton of money. Use it with a Roku streaming stick on three tv's. Channel line up suits us just fine. Like the DVR feature. No plans to change to anything else. I've been telling my kids and all my friends.

Cwise

Post by Cwise » Tue May 26, 2020 3:20 pm

Stinky wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:18 pm
YTTV dropped fox sports west & prime ticket in LA and YES network in NY. So no more Kings, Ducks, Clippers in LA. Dropped Yankee games in NY. The other regional areas were not impacted. I tried Hulu for these channels but IMO Hulu sucks. Interface is weak and you can't skip commercials.

fatlever

Post by fatlever » Tue May 26, 2020 3:38 pm

I replaced cableTV with Sling a few years back. Then replaced Sling with YouTubeTV over a year ago and it's been an improvement with a better interface, options for saving shows, multiple accounts and a better selection for my tastes vs Sling Orange or Blue including the big networks, sports, and local news. The interface is not as good as Netflix but none of the streaming services are.

NCPE

Post by NCPE » Tue May 26, 2020 4:02 pm

Switched in December when DirectTV raised their rates (again :annoyed ).

Overall very pleased, at $49.99 plus tax it saved us about $75.00 / month and the ability to have 3 users works well with our household. The DVR feature works great also. We are running ROKUs on all the TVS with no issues.

We will never go back to cable or one of the satellite providers.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Tue May 26, 2020 4:45 pm

Yes, and it's fantastic. I can take my TV and TiVo with me when I travel (I take my computer anyway, so). The TiVo is infinite. Most of what I watch on live TV is sports (golf and football) and it works for them, and the one league I would be watching right now that isn't on them streams anyway (IFL).

The above concern about which teams is a minor concern to me. I'm trying to get into hockey, but I don't even really know who I'd root for if I did, so it's a bit of a wash. No Dodgers games is a plus for me ;-) <-- kidding, slightly.

For shows that I like, I can set it to record and watch at my convenience. Sometimes when I'm working on something in a room with TV, I'll put on an episode of The Outer Limits. I've seen most of them, but some not for 2+ decades. I can look up, catch a scene, and go back to cleaning or meal prep or whatever. I know that feature exists for regular TiVo too.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 » Tue May 26, 2020 4:56 pm

Stinky wrote:
I'd do it if they had Washington Nationals games, but there is no way to (legally) stream MASN yet. So, your mileage may vary with sports. Traditional cable providers still win with local sports in many areas unfortunately.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Tue May 26, 2020 5:00 pm

dukeblue219 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:56 pm
Stinky wrote:
I'd do it if they had Washington Nationals games, but there is no way to (legally) stream MASN yet. So, your mileage may vary with sports. Traditional cable providers still win with local sports in many areas unfortunately.
We have no pro teams near us, so I have no problem with pro sports networks not being on YouTube TV.

It gets the sports that I care about (ESPN, ESPN2, SEC Network, Big Ten Network, Fox Sports, etc.)
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

knowledge

Post by knowledge » Tue May 26, 2020 5:10 pm

Had it, but paused it since there's no live sports. It's made me realize that's the only thing that I value watching on TV. The only downside I have is that when you compare it to your cable provider, $50 doesn't amount to much in savings.

decapod10

Post by decapod10 » Tue May 26, 2020 5:19 pm

We have YouTubeTV and I like it. Main benefits is that there's no fee for extra TVs (though you may need a Roku type box if you don't have a smart TV). It's much easier to watch on your computer/iPad/Phone than cable was, at least for me. I found the Xfinity interface to be a bit slow and clunky. No extra taxes on top of the $50 monthly fee. If I'm at an AirBnB or something, it's usually not to difficult to figure out how to get YouTubeTV on the TV.
knowledge wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:10 pm
Had it, but paused it since there's no live sports. It's made me realize that's the only thing that I value watching on TV. The only downside I have is that when you compare it to your cable provider, $50 doesn't amount to much in savings.
No live sports? That seems odd, our YouTube TV has ESPN, all the networks, ESPN2, SEC Network, ACC Network, ESPNU, FoxSports 1 and 2, NBCSN, NBC Sports California, NBC Sports Bay Area, NBA TV, MLB TV, CBS Sports, Olympic Channel, Golf Channel, Tennis Channel, etc. Not sure if I'm missing other channels, but I've found the live sports coverage to be pretty decent, but I'm not a hardcore sports watcher, so it's possible there are some good sports channels that I'm forgetting about.

runner9

Post by runner9 » Tue May 26, 2020 5:30 pm

knowledge wrote:
No live sports? That seems odd, our YouTube TV has ESPN, all the networks, ESPN2, SEC Network, ACC Network, ESPNU, FoxSports 1 and 2, NBCSN, NBC Sports California, NBC Sports Bay Area, NBA TV, MLB TV, CBS Sports, Olympic Channel, Golf Channel, Tennis Channel, etc. Not sure if I'm missing other channels, but I've found the live sports coverage to be pretty decent, but I'm not a hardcore sports watcher, so it's possible there are some good sports channels that I'm forgetting about.
[/quote]

Guessing that post is in reference to Covid-19 cancellations. ESPN is lots of reruns these days.

Countingthedays

Post by Countingthedays » Tue May 26, 2020 5:32 pm

YTTV fan here. Switched about of year ago from Cox, I should have done it years ago. $50/mo, no contact. Love that I can have one account and access channels on home TVs, vacation home and kids TVs at college. All the major networks, cable channels that I care about and plenty of New England sports. Good stuff.

Topic Author
schmitz

Post by schmitz » Tue May 26, 2020 5:42 pm

wow looks like pretty much universally a good product. I like hearing that. thanks for all the replies!

regarding the 9 month tivo storage - is there any settings to have it keep old shows longer?

is it possible to watch older episodes that arent tivo'd? for example, can I watch older episodes from years ago on demand?

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Tue May 26, 2020 5:53 pm

I'm a huge YTTV fan here as well. Never a problem with locking-up during a rain storm like with our previous satellite tv company. I'm easily saving $250/month. However, I also now don't have Sunday Ticket, MLB and NBA league pass so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

We've only had YTTV for a few months. I'm wondering what we'll do once sports is back on. My family primarily watches the football, baseball and basketball teams from another city across the country. Does anyone know how we can watch these out-of-area games once they're back on?

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Tue May 26, 2020 5:54 pm

schmitz wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:42 pm
wow looks like pretty much universally a good product. I like hearing that. thanks for all the replies!

regarding the 9 month tivo storage - is there any settings to have it keep old shows longer?

is it possible to watch older episodes that arent tivo'd? for example, can I watch older episodes from years ago on demand?
It's technically called DVR with YTTV, not tivo, but we all know what you mean. And, yes, you can watch older episodes on demand. The downside of that is that you can't fast-forward through commercials while watch on demand shows.

Starfox

Post by Starfox » Tue May 26, 2020 5:56 pm

I like it.
It’s missing Hallmark though so no annual Christmas movies/shows without an additional 3rd party subscription service.

New Providence

Post by New Providence » Tue May 26, 2020 5:57 pm

We have it to avoid renting half a dozen, clunky cable boxes.

Finnegan

Post by Finnegan » Tue May 26, 2020 6:17 pm

We've been using it for six months. The DVR is very good. Two things I don't like are:

1. Changing channels is much slower than with a cable box. You need to change screens, pick a new channel from a menu, and wait a few seconds for it to load.

2. There is an inactivity timer that suspends playing after four hours.

Neither drawback is a deal breaker for me, but both can be annoying.

ebeard

Post by ebeard » Tue May 26, 2020 6:17 pm

Let me add on to this question and ask what company do you use for internet? What is your bandwidth? How much do you pay?

I have Comcast (xfinity) 220 useless channels of TV and 150 Mbps all in at $164.01 in zip code 30120

It looks like Internet only from comcast is $50/month add YouTube TV at another $50 and I save $50/month.
3 core funds. Don't just do something, stand there.

knowledge

Post by knowledge » Tue May 26, 2020 6:19 pm

runner9 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:30 pm
Guessing that post is in reference to Covid-19 cancellations. ESPN is lots of reruns these days.
Right. I meant since there are no live sports on at the moment, and that's all that I care to watch, I've since paused the subscription. Which speaks to another benefit - there is no contract and it's as simple as a few clicks to cancel your service.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Tue May 26, 2020 6:24 pm

The DVR feature is interesting. Not as good as a tivo. It doesn't seem to identify recorded episodes you have watched (maybe I'm missing something obvious) so it can be hard to remember which episode you are up to (since you don't delete old episodes).

Overall it is pretty nice. Some channels allow you to skip over commercials, others have limited commercials. You can also share it among family members.

Right now I think it is the golden age of streaming for consumers. Prices are pretty low and you can add/remove channels on a monthly basis. I have Amazon Prime and Netflix. At times I've also had CBS All Access, Disney+, Acorn and BritBox. Depending on your likes they can be very good.

Topic Author
schmitz

Post by schmitz » Tue May 26, 2020 6:55 pm

ebeard wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:17 pm
Let me add on to this question and ask what company do you use for internet? What is your bandwidth? How much do you pay?

I have Comcast (xfinity) 220 useless channels of TV and 150 Mbps all in at $164.01 in zip code 30120

It looks like Internet only from comcast is $50/month add YouTube TV at another $50 and I save $50/month.
Im not sure if you are directing this question just to me but ill answer.

I use At&t uverse. We have the U300 package (about $120/month), internet45 ($35/month) and 3 smart phones on our plan ($190/month).

so what im learning so far is (a) I can save a ton on my cable tv by switching and (b) also my internet is really slow.

I may lose a bundling discount if I cancel my tv and keep my internet but I think I can upgrade my internet as well.

I could probably get my internet/cable down to maybe $100 month total AND upgrade my internet speed at the same time.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue May 26, 2020 6:58 pm

fatlever wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:38 pm
I replaced cableTV with Sling a few years back. Then replaced Sling with YouTubeTV over a year ago and it's been an improvement with a better interface, options for saving shows, multiple accounts and a better selection for my tastes vs Sling Orange or Blue including the big networks, sports, and local news. The interface is not as good as Netflix but none of the streaming services are.
Sling now includes 10 hours of free DVR and you can pay extra for more storage. Sling is cheaper than YouTube TV ($30 vs $50/mo), if it has the channels OP wants, I recommend it.

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Tue May 26, 2020 7:02 pm

02nz wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:58 pm
fatlever wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:38 pm
Sling now includes 10 hours of free DVR and you can pay extra for more storage. Sling is cheaper than YouTube TV ($30 vs $50/mo), if it has the channels OP wants, I recommend it.
I dislike Sling.

#1 Commercials are annoying and can't be skipped
#2 Resume is inaccurate
#3 Interface is not good (SO hates it)
#4 Allows three connections but only one user. Blah.

Topic Author
schmitz

Post by schmitz » Tue May 26, 2020 7:05 pm

Starfox wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:56 pm
I like it.
It’s missing Hallmark though so no annual Christmas movies/shows without an additional 3rd party subscription service.
oddly enough this seems to be the one channel we would miss from switching to YTTV as my wife loves these movies.

but I found you can get them at hmnow.com for $5/month

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue May 26, 2020 7:10 pm

typical.investor wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:02 pm
#1 Commercials are annoying and can't be skipped
If you DVR the program then you can skip past the commercials (at least on the channels I watch). I often do this and start watching a little late so that I catch up with the live feed as I skip commercials. If you're watching a program live, obviously you can't skip commercials into the future! :happy

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Tue May 26, 2020 7:45 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:54 pm
The downside of that is that you can't fast-forward through commercials while watch on demand shows.
I'm ready to drop my UVerse TV package; the contract's up and I think from what I read Uverse TV is going away and the only cable option they will offer is ATT TV which also locks you into a contract and is expensive after the first come-on year. Cable tv is ridiculous anyway, I already stream most of my tv content on Netflix/Amazon and only use about 5-6 of the 300 stations I have access to. So I'm trying to decide between Hulu+live tv or Youtube.

My non-negotiable is the ability to fast forward commercials. I'm trying out Hulu, like it so far and supposedly by adding on additional DVR storage I will also get to skip commercials. Somewhere online I thought I read that YTTV lets you do that without extra charge, so I'm confused about above comment?

Any clarification appreciated.

Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 » Tue May 26, 2020 7:56 pm

After close to 15 years of DirecTV satellite, we switched to YTTV last July and haven't looked back. To be fair, we had too many trees around our home to get the HD level of DirecTV so we could only get the "standard" (non-HD) DTV so YTTV was a huge advance in picture quality for us. The only thing I dislike about YTTV is changing channels. With DirecTV, you could just enter a different channel number and instantly you were taken there. With YTTV, it's a long tortuous ride to leave one YTTV channel and move to another. Even with the Amazon Firestick with voice commands, when I ask it to show me a channel, it takes me outside YTTV, usually to a site that Amazon offers for an additional fee. To state this in a positive way, there is opportunity for improvement at YTTV in channel tuning. Or am I missing something?

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Tue May 26, 2020 8:03 pm

Another fan here streaming with Google Fiber using a Roku. My only complaint is that it doesn't tell me what show to watch next if I am trying to watch a series. It doesn't mark the shows I've already watched.

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Tue May 26, 2020 8:10 pm

Couple of questions. We currently have Fios and live in the DC/Baltimore area. Looks like we could only get the Baltimore local channels in our zip code, but would really prefer to get the DC local news instead. What's the best way to pull in those channels outside of YouTube TV?

Also, what do those of you who kept FIOS internet pay for stand-alone internet? We don't want to change our email.

And, are there buffering issues with YouTube TV? Does it make a difference what you use to stream? I have one TV with Amazon Fire built in. Another TV with a fire stick. Do I need more equipment?

indexfund56

Post by indexfund56 » Tue May 26, 2020 8:19 pm

Finnegan wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:17 pm
We've been using it for six months. The DVR is very good. Two things I don't like are:

1. Changing channels is much slower than with a cable box. You need to change screens, pick a new channel from a menu, and wait a few seconds for it to load.

2. There is an inactivity timer that suspends playing after four hours.

Neither drawback is a deal breaker for me, but both can be annoying.
FWIW, I’ve found changing channels on YTTV to be very fast on Apple TV and not so fast on Roku and Fire Sticks.

indexfund56

Post by indexfund56 » Tue May 26, 2020 8:22 pm

schmitz wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:05 pm
Starfox wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:56 pm
I like it.
oddly enough this seems to be the one channel we would miss from switching to YTTV as my wife loves these movies.

but I found you can get them at hmnow.com for $5/month
We subscribe to FrndlyTV to get Hallmark and the Weather Channel. https://www.frndlytv.com/

Even with that and YTTV price, still saving about $40 a month over what we were paying DIRECTV.

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Tue May 26, 2020 9:15 pm

We've used YTTV for the last 18 months and are generally pleased with it----we moved to it after trying Hulu, where it seemed we were forever experiencing buffering delays.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

retire57

Post by retire57 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:28 pm

Have it, love it. Can't think of anything I would change.

bovineplane

Post by bovineplane » Tue May 26, 2020 9:34 pm

YTTV. For internet we have spectrum as ATT wasn't fast enough.

Spectrum $45/month all in.
YTTV $50 all in.

We have two TV's. Daughter has a fire stick on her computer monitor. I use my cell on the treadmill.

Only issue we had - we tried the chrome device and it was terrible. Firestick 4k works much better. Cell phone app works great. We now have a newer Samsung TV with built in YTTV app which works as well or better than the firestick.

Few annoyances - no previous channel button. We have tried to rank our favorite channels and remove the other channels but it never seems to hold. Streaming quality decreases at times. Not sure it streams in 4k.
Last edited by bovineplane on Tue May 26, 2020 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J295

Post by J295 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:36 pm

Yes. Recommend it.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Tue May 26, 2020 9:45 pm

knowledge wrote:
I have tried YouTubeTV, Sling, HuluPlusLive. Personally, Sling was more expensive than the others for what we wanted and I hated the user interface. Hulu and YouTube both worked fine.

However, after something like 18 months of using Comcast for internet only, I went back to Comcast for TV but with no physical DVR or cable boxes and the like. I watch entirely via the Xfinity Stream App on a tablet or phone or using a Roku with the TV. Turned out with the bundling discount, it was cheaper to stay with Comcast. I get 200 channels for $5 more than internet alone. Add in $25 in fees and taxes, and the 200 channels are costing me $30 a month.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:05 pm

I have had it about 6 months and have been very happy with it. It has all the channels I need, the DVR service and interface are good and the price reasonable. The most annoying thing is if I play a show I "recorded" and fall asleep it keeps playing other shows based on some algorithm. This is extremely annoying as it wastes bandwidth and if I sort of wake up 4 hours later the TV is still playing even though I told it to play a 30 minute show. The other things I noticed and didn't like is the guide doesn't go out very far (I think a few days) and the guide doesn't display long show names fully. If you are used to surfing channels on cable with channel up/down that doesn't exist. You have to go back to the guide and pick another show. Not an issue for me as 95% of what I watch is recorded.

Post by 1789 » Tue May 26, 2020 10:11 pm

We had it last year and used it mainly to watch NBA TV. We will get it again. I think it worth the price.
"My conscience wants vegetarianism to win over the world. And my subconscious is yearning for a piece of juicy meat. But what do i want?" (Andrei Tarkovsky)

confusedinvestor

Post by confusedinvestor » Tue May 26, 2020 11:40 pm

YouTube TV is great

$50/month - including taxes with great family share plan (upto 6 family members)

Cons:

- But there is at least 2-3 min lag in live streaming of sports. eg: we noticed that with last year SuperBowl
- Auto delete of recorded episodes beyond 2 months

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Tue May 26, 2020 11:47 pm

Used the free trial period offered by all the major streaming services. Which service won for us? YouTube TV.
Retired 2018 age 61/Variable Percentage Withdrawal method/One fund: VTINX all accounts/No mortgage,debt/Good enough | "Not using an alarm is one of the great glories of my life." Robert Greene

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Wed May 27, 2020 1:09 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:05 pm
I have had it about 6 months and have been very happy with it. It has all the channels I need, the DVR service and interface are good and the price reasonable. The most annoying thing is if I play a show I "recorded" and fall asleep it keeps playing other shows based on some algorithm. This is extremely annoying as it wastes bandwidth and if I sort of wake up 4 hours later the TV is still playing even though I told it to play a 30 minute show. The other things I noticed and didn't like is the guide doesn't go out very far (I think a few days) and the guide doesn't display long show names fully. If you are used to surfing channels on cable with channel up/down that doesn't exist. You have to go back to the guide and pick another show. Not an issue for me as 95% of what I watch is recorded.
Pretty sure you can turn off auto play on all devices. Find settings. Then scroll to Autoplay. Turn it off.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Wed May 27, 2020 1:22 am

I tried it. New CBS shows had commercials that couldn't be skipped ! Some DVR. This is apparently working as designed.
I cancelled it before the end of the trial due to this.

rh00p

Post by rh00p » Wed May 27, 2020 1:49 am

schmitz wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:05 pm
Sounds like a really good alternative to cable but wanted to get some opinions on it.
do you recommend it?
what are its best features? what are its worst ones?

any input is appreciated!
I cut the cord in March and believe YTTV is currently the best option at the moment. It integrates local broadcasting with 'cable' channels seamlessly including premium channels. You won't find all those garbage 'filler' channels in the line up. Premium channels are cheaper than what I paid through my old cable provider. In my area I get three PBSs, two CNBCs, two ABCs and even the Olympic channel which would have been nice if they were held. And like most streaming services you can upgrade, downgrade or cancel with ease. Lastly you can watch anywhere on any device, though I don't know if viewing in a different area changes the lineup.

My only dislike is the channel guide. It doesn't provide info on a selected program or movie. And occasionally a channel isn't quite synced to the current time. There are no channel numbers, so you have to scroll up / down. No option to jump by screen. But you can customize the channel order as you wish. But I wish the guide was more like cable's.

If you don't have a smart TV you'll need a dongle. Try a Roku Premiere+ whose remote has TV and volume control. The higher options have voice command but I've read forum complaints that the batteries don't last long. I'm currently trying the new TiVo Stream.
Preparing for the worst. Hoping for the best.

mancich

Post by mancich » Wed May 27, 2020 4:36 am

We have it and love it. Great user interface and cloud DVR. $50/month, saving us $80/month vs.our absurd cable company's bill.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed May 27, 2020 7:14 am

pennywise wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:45 pm
My non-negotiable is the ability to fast forward commercials. I'm trying out Hulu, like it so far and supposedly by adding on additional DVR storage I will also get to skip commercials. Somewhere online I thought I read that YTTV lets you do that without extra charge, so I'm confused about above comment?
So, the YTTV DVR is unlimited, and lets you fast forward through commercials. However, when you find a series and hit "add to my shows", it will start recording airings from that moment forward to your DVR, just like you'd expect. However, at the same time you will generally ALSO get access to every back episode that aired before you added it, by way of VoD. These episodes--which you generally wouldn't even have access to with scheduled recordings on a "traditional" DVR--have unskippable commercial breaks, usually fairly short ones. 1:45-2:15 is average (there is a countdown timer), but I've seen them as short as 14 seconds, or even missing entirely if they don't happen to have an ad load at that time or for that show. One nice thing about these commercial breaks, however, is that the volume level is dramatically lower than the program, so they are easy to ignore.

I'm a long-time commercial hater, having switched to TiVo way back in 2000, and honestly this small commercial load with low audio volume is a fair tradeoff for easy access to back-catalog content.
Retired1809 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:56 pm
To state this in a positive way, there is opportunity for improvement at YTTV in channel tuning. Or am I missing something?
Yes you are missing something. STOP WATCHING LIVE TV! :mrgreen: Seriously, I have no issues whatsoever with channel tuning, because there's no reason to tune channels, basically ever. Record what you want, and watch it from the Home or Library menus.