New TVs with built-in Roku

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bertilak

New TVs with built-in Roku

Post by bertilak » Mon May 25, 2020 5:34 pm

Anyone have one of these?

Can you ignore the built-in Roku and use your own? Any reason to do this or not to do this?

Just wondering. No immediate plan to buy but I like to keep up with the current state of the art.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

dlrkw9mu

Re: New TVs with built-in Roku

Post by dlrkw9mu » Mon May 25, 2020 5:42 pm

We have a TCL with built in roku. There are still HDMI ports; you can plug your own Roku in. We haven't found a reason to.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Mon May 25, 2020 5:44 pm

You can bypass, though I am not sure why one would want to.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon May 25, 2020 5:47 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:44 pm
Well in 5 years when the Rooku in your TV isn't powerful enough to run the new stuff, you want to upgrade. TV screens are probably good for 10-15 years these days. I wouldn't bet on any of the apps my TV comes with lasting that long.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon May 25, 2020 5:50 pm

My garage TV is a TCL brand with Roku built in. It seems to be just fine, all the streaming APPs that I have been interested in using seem to be present.

My first streaming device was an early offering Roku product. It worked very well, but now I prefer the Amazon Fire Stick streaming unit. I have a lot of Amazon products, and the Amazon Fire Stick works great, and also streams most any streaming service around, except Apple.

My latest Firestick has voice control, 4K, all the bells and whistles. i can open a browser and surf the internet as I please.

Smart TVs have APPs already available, so in most cases you don't need a separate streaming device.

I would go to Best Buy and check out smart TVs and see if your desired streaming services are already available built in.

High quality TVs get smarter and cheaper as time passes.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Iridium

Post by Iridium » Mon May 25, 2020 5:52 pm

I do not have such a TV, but I can answer your questions.
bertilak wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:34 pm
Can you ignore the built-in Roku and use your own? Any reason to do this or not to do this?
You can certainly ignore the built-in Roku, if you like.

Advantage of built in: Slightly more convenient, as one remote controls both the TV and the Roku and pushing the Netflix (or whatever) button will automatically switch the TV to the Roku.

Advantage of external Roku: technology moves faster in streaming than in displays. In 7 years, it may make sense to buy the latest Roku for $50 and get the latest precessor, codecs, etc. (particularly as old Rokus aren't supported forever and eventually will start losing access to content). In 7 years, it is unlikely there will be a compelling reason to buy an entirely new TV.* Note that you can always add the Roku later. If your TV happens to have Roku built in, I cannot think of any reason to buy an external Roku now, unless you really want the features of the high end Rokus that won't be built in (likely: voice search and game playing).

* Note that I said compelling. The cinephiles will certainly enjoy their 8K TVs with HDR within 7 years. However, we are getting pretty far along diminishing returns curve for display technology and doubt the lay person would be able to notice much improvement when the TV is actually in their home, with the suboptimal lighting and seating location.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon May 25, 2020 5:53 pm

We've had a TCL Roku TV for almost 5yrs. No issues whatsoever.

anonsdca

Post by anonsdca » Mon May 25, 2020 5:59 pm

bertilak wrote:

Just wondering. No immediate plan to buy but I like to keep up with the current state of the art.
I have had two for the past few years. I love them. I--like others--dont know why you would bypass, but you can get a 27" at Walmart for about $100. I tried it out for a guest room a few years ago and quickly bought another.

rxtra8

Post by rxtra8 » Mon May 25, 2020 6:04 pm

The only problem is that the apps on your smart TV may become not so smart after so many years. I have a higher level Samsung smartTV that has the Netflix, Prime and YouTube apps from new but they just do not work anymore (have updated the TV firmware). They may initially load or not load and if loading then act like my WiFi is bad or I do not have enough band width. BUT I have great WiFi? After a couple of years or so (seemed like forever) of basically nonfunctional apps ( used to cuss out Amazon prime video like crazy ) I had a feeling that it was the TV smart apps. I ordered a Roku Streaming Stick and I have become super happy! Everything works, super fast and no drop outs.

The Smart TV apps get stupid after a while or so it would seem.
“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” | — Robertson Davies

Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon May 25, 2020 6:29 pm

randomguy wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:47 pm
bob60014 wrote:
Well in 5 years when the Rooku in your TV isn't powerful enough to run the new stuff, you want to upgrade. TV screens are probably good for 10-15 years these days. I wouldn't bet on any of the apps my TV comes with lasting that long.
That's where I'm coming from. I have heard that the built-in Roku is slow to get upgrades. I also heard that the hardware that runs the built-in Roku (basically a small computer) is not as powerful as the stand-alone Roku systems. This means its interface is not as snappy as the stand-alone boxes. I don't really know how true any of that is and was hoping to get some insight from this thread.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

adam1712

Post by adam1712 » Mon May 25, 2020 6:45 pm

I think any TV you get is still going to have some input so you can bypass. But I definitely recommend a Roku TV as it's simple and reasonably distributor independent. Things may change but I think Roku is going to be around and the technology isn't changing as fast. It's built to work with your TV so in terms of resolution, frame rate, etc it should always work. I know there may be snappier things in the future but I think you'll get close to as many years out of the built-in Roku as the TV.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Mon May 25, 2020 6:46 pm

bertilak wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:29 pm
randomguy wrote:
bob60014 wrote:
That's where I'm coming from. I have heard that the built-in Roku is slow to get upgrades. I also heard that the hardware that runs the built-in Roku (basically a small computer) is not as powerful as the stand-alone Roku systems. This means its interface is not as snappy as the stand-alone boxes. I don't really know how true any of that is and was hoping to get some insight from this thread.

Never had a issue with the basic updates, the internal Roku handled without issue. The only update that could be a issue is with resolution, 4k to 8k as example, in which case most TV's wouldnt be capable of updating anyway. The tv and internal roku would both be out of date.

Some people do have issues with internal and external Rokus being slow to operate. Sometimes they're slower to change channels, volume, etc., as expected having to go through the internet to operate. Many dont realize this and get frustrated for something that's normal.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon May 25, 2020 7:32 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:46 pm
Some people do have issues with internal and external Rokus being slow to operate. Sometimes they're slower to change channels, volume, etc., as expected having to go through the internet to operate. Many dont realize this and get frustrated for something that's normal.
The reason some Roku devices are less responsive is because of internal processing power - the cheaper devices (e.g. Express) have slower performance compared to more expensive ones (e.g. Ultra). And volume controls on the Roku definitely don't "go thorough the internet." The Roku device isn't even doing anything for volume - the remote just sends the infrared command to the TV, if it's been set up that way.

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Mon May 25, 2020 7:43 pm

I have a five year old Roku 3 on my primary TV, a couple streaming sticks, 32" TCL Roku TV and 55" TCL 4K TV. Both TVs are the low end of the product line. The only device that is slow at times is the old Roku 3 - mainly at moving through the interface but once something is streaming it is fine. That might also be a range issue as the unit is in a closet in the bedroom on the opposite side of the wall the TV is mounted to. The only minor complaint with the TVs is that the remotes are infrared and not RF so you have to point them at the TV, or at least a reflective wall. Note some of the cheaper stand-alone Rokus are IR, but the sticks and upper end devices are RF and IR for TVs. The only difference I see in the Roku app screens is that the TVs have icons/tiles for your antenna and the other inputs alongside your apps. I've bounced among many services including Sling, Hulu, Fubo, HBO, Showtime, Youtube TV and others and all work fine on all devices.

I believe all of the Roku device remotes can control power and volume for other TVs. Even my old Roku 3 controls my Vizio TV which in turn controls the soundbar on the ARC HDMI port. You will still need a TV remote to switch inputs or control other menu options. I also have a TIVO over the air DVR on the main TV that will switch TV inputs, so I have not touched the Vizio remote in years. I also never use the apps built into the Vizio TV or the TIVO as Roku is much more capable. The TIVO is on HDMI1 and Roku on HDMI2 - the TV remote switches between them and I ignore the rest of the TV inputs, built in apps and tuner. The TV is basically a monitor at this point.

I've only had a couple minor issues with all of the devices. The TVs had issues logging out of my network - might have been because they were unplugged or off for long periods. I changed the power saving settings which eliminated the issue, and also has them come on instantly instead of having to boot. I also dropped the remote for one of the sticks, the batteries fell out, and it refused to pair. I was able to fix that with the app on my phone. My other question was how do you turn on the Roku TV if you lose the remote - then discovered the hidden power button behind the center power light.

dru808

Post by dru808 » Tue May 26, 2020 2:05 pm

We bought one in late 2017 with a built in roku. not sure why you’d want to bypass to use your own external one. It works great, we hadn’t even thought of using roku before buying the tv.

One thing I did notice at first but is no longer a bother is the tv will take 4-5 seconds to boot up, it’s not like the good old days where as soon as you hit power you have an instant picture.
Last edited by dru808 on Tue May 26, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
60% US equity | 25% International equity | 15% US Treasury bonds

dru808

Post by dru808 » Tue May 26, 2020 2:08 pm

bertilak wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:29 pm
randomguy wrote:
bob60014 wrote:
I can’t speak to an external u it but the internal roku on our tv works fine, I don’t notice any lag or speed reduction. Updates seem to be automatic unless someone else is updating without me knowing. It will do the occasional disconnect from the router twice a year but I’m not sure if it’s a roku issue or the WiFi router causing it.

Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue May 26, 2020 2:10 pm

dru808 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:05 pm
not sure why you’d want to bypass to use your own external one.
Several reasons given above by me and others.

dru808

Post by dru808 » Tue May 26, 2020 2:12 pm

bertilak wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:10 pm
dru808 wrote:
not sure why you’d want to bypass to use your own external one.
Several reasons given above by me and others.
Saw that after I posted,

Kagord

Post by Kagord » Tue May 26, 2020 2:36 pm

bertilak wrote:
Buying a TCL TV is kind of in contradiction with state of the art, I mean, that low end quantum dot tech is so 2015ish. And a $25 to $100 Roku is hardly state of the art.

Honestly, I'd be more worried about my garbage TCL TV not having QDEL in 3 years.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Tue May 26, 2020 2:54 pm

For years some streaming apps were built in various tvs, dvrs (tivo, verizon) and dvd players (if anyone still uses them). I've always found the streaming apps to be better from an external source (Roku, Firestick, etc.). They seem more fully featured, more reliable, etc. Personally I'd rather have my tv concentrate on just being a tv and not a smart tv but I guess that ship has sailed, along with Plasma TVs.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue May 26, 2020 3:01 pm

If you are someone who wants the latest and greatest, sure go ahead and get a super expensive TV and hook up a $99 Roku Ultra.

If you just want an okay TV with Roku functionality, you can get a 50" TCL HD Roku TV on sale for $180.

If I'm paying $180 for a TV I don't care if the Roku functionality doesn't work in a few years.

Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue May 26, 2020 3:04 pm

rich126 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:54 pm
For years some streaming apps were built in various tvs, dvrs (tivo, verizon) and dvd players (if anyone still uses them). I've always found the streaming apps to be better from an external source (Roku, Firestick, etc.). They seem more fully featured, more reliable, etc. Personally I'd rather have my tv concentrate on just being a tv and not a smart tv but I guess that ship has sailed, along with Plasma TVs.
Yeah. I would rather my TV was just a video display. I have sound system (Audio Video Receiver, aka AVR) for the sound. My DVD (actually, BluRay) also plugs into the AVR.

Topic Author
bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue May 26, 2020 3:10 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:01 pm
If you are someone who wants the latest and greatest, sure go ahead and get a super expensive TV and hook up a $99 Roku Ultra.

If you just want an okay TV with Roku functionality, you can get a 50" TCL HD Roku TV on sale for $180.

If I'm paying $180 for a TV I don't care if the Roku functionality doesn't work in a few years.
I'm thinking of moving up to 4K OLED TV (or whatever is the latest and greatest when I get around to it). I bought my Roku Ultra for a couple of reasons:
  • Cable (actually satelite) was just driving me crazy. I dropped DirecTV.
    It was 4K capable.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Tue May 26, 2020 3:27 pm

bertilak wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:10 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:01 pm

I'm thinking of moving up to 4K OLED TV (or whatever is the latest and greatest when I get around to it). I bought my Roku Ultra for a couple of reasons:
  • Cable (actually satelite) was just driving me crazy. I dropped DirecTV.
    It was 4K capable.
My guess is in a few years if and when the built-in Roku no longer functions, your Roku Ultra too will be on its last legs.

But, to answer your questions, you of course are able to hook up an external Roku to pretty much any modern tv whether or not it has a built-in Roku.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue May 26, 2020 3:31 pm

randomguy wrote:
Rokus are amazingly long-lived devices. They announced back in September of 2019 that my Roku 2 XS (that I haven't used in YEARS) was no longer going to receive updates starting with the 9.2 release. I bought it in 2010. It appears this is because it has 256MB of RAM. Some models of the 1st and 2nd generation are STILL getting the latest updates--even today--because they have the same 512MB as several current models.

bikesandbeers

Post by bikesandbeers » Tue May 26, 2020 3:49 pm

I am on my second TCL Roku TV from Costco. have also used stand alone Roku sin the past
The TV works great, although the picture quality isn't quite as good as some of the premium Japanese/Korean brands, but very good considering the price.

The only other problem we've had with the TV is the channel guide for over the air antenna has started displaying the wrong info. had to do a hard reset and reprogram the channels

We do use our TV with an Amazon Firestick and a Fire TV recast DVR in one of the HDMI ports. you could get whatever you wanted to plug into the ports.

nanameg

Post by nanameg » Tue May 26, 2020 3:51 pm

What’s the easiest tv to use? We are both extremely technically challenged and want the absolutely simplest set up possible.

We haven’t bought a TV in at least 20 years and want to be done with cable.

windaar

Post by windaar » Tue May 26, 2020 4:06 pm

I like that the Roku remote only has a few buttons on it. Keep it simple!
Nobody knows nothing.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue May 26, 2020 4:15 pm

nanameg wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:51 pm
What’s the easiest tv to use? We are both extremely technically challenged and want the absolutely simplest set up possible.

We haven’t bought a TV in at least 20 years and want to be done with cable.
Roku is very easy to use, and if you get it built-in with the TV (TCL is probably the best choice there) it's even easier, as you have just one remote and one interface for everything, including picture adjustments, and also it's less cable clutter. Most other TVs have their own "smart" platform but these become obsolete much more quickly than Roku (e.g., our LG OLED from 2015 no longer gets WebOS updates, so I can't watch Sling TV on it even though it's supported on newer versions of the platform - so I had to get a Roku to watch Sling).

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Tue May 26, 2020 4:26 pm

Forum costing me money again. I am going to buy a TV for my screened in porch since I enjoy sitting out there and 5inch phone screen not much fun! May check out Sam's and Costco soon.

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Tue May 26, 2020 4:54 pm

dru808 wrote:

One thing I did notice at first but is no longer a bother is the tv will take 4-5 seconds to boot up, it’s not like the good old days where as soon as you hit power you have an instant picture.
Check the Power Savings menu in Settings. Mine was the same way but was defaulted to the highest power saving setting. Changing that now turns the screen off but leaves the "brain" active so the screen is instant on when you come back to it.

You can use any smart or dumb TV with any external streaming device you wish as long as they both have HDMI ports. If you find a great non-Roku TV your existing Roku will work fine with it. The only thing you will need to Roku remote/interface for is to select the HDMI port. There are about a dozen TV brands (probably coming from a few actual manufacturing plants) that sell TVs with Roku built in. If you like one of those, go for it and save the $50-$100 for the external device.

My newest 55" 4K TV even prompted me with a question about Channel 3 or 4 being needed for external devices when I did a channel scan the other day. I guess that means I can hook up my 1970s Atari 2600 through the antenna input and even that will work.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue May 26, 2020 5:50 pm

bertilak wrote:

I bought one (TCL) and I really like it a lot, though it is glitchy. Sometimes it doesn't turn on with the remote. Sometimes I get a picture without sound. It usually works second or third attempt when that happens. I need to take the time to sort that out but it is a low priority.

bikechuck

Post by bikechuck » Tue May 26, 2020 10:22 pm

Kagord wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:36 pm
bertilak wrote:
Buying a TCL TV is kind of in contradiction with state of the art, I mean, that low end quantum dot tech is so 2015ish. And a $25 to $100 Roku is hardly state of the art.

Honestly, I'd be more worried about my garbage TCL TV not having QDEL in 3 years.
Why would you call TCL TVs garbage? I bought one a couple of years ago when we moved and I love everything about it. Will it become obsolete in 3 years? Perhaps but I doubt it.

bikechuck

Post by bikechuck » Tue May 26, 2020 10:25 pm

protagonist wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:50 pm
bertilak wrote:

I bought one (TCL) and I really like it a lot, though it is glitchy. Sometimes it doesn't turn on with the remote. Sometimes I get a picture without sound. It usually works second or third attempt when that happens. I need to take the time to sort that out but it is a low priority.
I never have the problems you are experiencing with my TCL TV. Are you connecting wirelessly? If so I suspect that you have a weak or intermittently weak internet connection.

Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster » Tue May 26, 2020 10:48 pm

Bought the 55” Roku 6 series for $280 at Christmas last year after my Sony Bravia was a casualty of children. Awesome TV for the price and basically has an internal Apple TV. For that price it could die in a year and no biggie.

We stream and use OTA.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Wed May 27, 2020 2:38 am

I bought a 65" TCL TV from Costco about two years ago. I think it was around $600 after a $140-off coupon. I love it--I didn't need apple TV anymore (thank goodness, that little silver remote kept getting lost), and you can download additional apps. It has built-in ROKU. Super streamlined--it hangs on the wall, and there aren't any other cluttery boxes/cables/remotes. I did get a Bose soundbar, but I usually don't even use it. I love my TCL!

Oh, and I bought a wall mount from Costco that articulates at least a foot and a half out from the wall, and I can tilt it for the best viewing angle from the sofa.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Wed May 27, 2020 7:34 am

rxtra8 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:04 pm
The only problem is that the apps on your smart TV may become not so smart after so many years. I have a higher level Samsung smartTV that has the Netflix, Prime and YouTube apps from new but they just do not work anymore (have updated the TV firmware). They may initially load or not load and if loading then act like my WiFi is bad or I do not have enough band width. BUT I have great WiFi? After a couple of years or so (seemed like forever) of basically nonfunctional apps ( used to cuss out Amazon prime video like crazy ) I had a feeling that it was the TV smart apps. I ordered a Roku Streaming Stick and I have become super happy! Everything works, super fast and no drop outs.

The Smart TV apps get stupid after a while or so it would seem.
This happened to me with a smart LG tv. Suddenly I could not log into my Netflix account and being a stubborn Boglehead, I escalated all the way to an LG tech support troubleshooting manager at corporate level. Darned if I was going to give up functionality on a 2-year old set!

He explained that the programming on smart tv sets is installed and then the team does not continue to update it on an ongoing basis. Since new models are constantly coming out and tv companies are not software companies....what worked at the time of purchase is often nonfunctional after a couple of years and the manufacturer ain't gonna be able to fix it or advise on how to fix it.

I ended up buying a Roku stick which works great and never looked back. Still it was a good education in never basing a future tv purchase on any kind of built in connectivity function. It's easier, and better, now to just plan on setting up whatever streaming device one prefers rather than paying for a feature that won't last.

beyou

Post by beyou » Wed May 27, 2020 7:48 am

MIL Samsung tv from a few years ago just deleted Hulu built-in app, because it was the older pre-Hulu Live app, and they had no new version. She has 2 Samsung TV’s and the newer one has the latest Hulu, so it’s not like Samsung does not care about Hulu, but they don’t make an effort to ensure their TV is useful for many years either.

She also had a Sony blue ray/dvd player with it’s own smart tv software, plugged into same tv. Both cannot run Hulu. Just get a Roku or Firestick device and plug it into the best tv based on picture quality and price.

illumination

Post by illumination » Wed May 27, 2020 10:58 am

It's a great idea to incorporate Roku into a TV, I would just never buy a TV over that feature alone as they are so cheap to just add on.

It seems like every Smart TV I've ever used has been absolute junk, the manufacturers just always seem to make it an afterthought, I'm amazed people can put up with it to save $50 on a standalone unit that does everything so much better.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed May 27, 2020 11:10 am

Kagord wrote:
bertilak wrote:

I'm not sure why it's so important to have the latest and greatest display tech. I've looked at the $600TCLs and the $1,500 OLEDs side by side, and the difference is pretty subtle. If you are a hardcore cinephile who needs the latest and greatest, sure. But most people don't care that much. My $600 TCL was a already quantum leap (no pun intended) over the 10 year old 1080p unit it replaced. If I want newer tech, I could always buy another one in 5 years instead of my normal 10 year cycle. I'd still be $300 under the high end TV today, and the $600 TV in 5 years will likely be better than today's $1,500 TV.

I'm generally happy with the Roku on my TCL, but I've gotten the occasional glitch. However, I also had the occasional glitch with an external Roku, so I don't think the TV is to blame. As stated, you could always go for a standalone upgrade. For now, I don't see the need. I was using a Roku 4 with the old TV, and I find the internal Roku to be just as good- better in some respects.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed May 27, 2020 11:32 am

alfaspider wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:10 am
Kagord wrote:
bertilak wrote:

I'm not sure why it's so important to have the latest and greatest display tech. I've looked at the $600TCLs and the $1,500 OLEDs side by side, and the difference is pretty subtle. If you are a hardcore cinephile who needs the latest and greatest, sure. But most people don't care that much. My $600 TCL was a already quantum leap (no pun intended) over the 10 year old 1080p unit it replaced. If I want newer tech, I could always buy another one in 5 years instead of my normal 10 year cycle. I'd still be $300 under the high end TV today, and the $600 TV in 5 years will likely be better than today's $1,500 TV.

I'm generally happy with the Roku on my TCL, but I've gotten the occasional glitch. However, I also had the occasional glitch with an external Roku, so I don't think the TV is to blame. As stated, you could always go for a standalone upgrade. For now, I don't see the need. I was using a Roku 4 with the old TV, and I find the internal Roku to be just as good- better in some respects.
+1. My brother just spent $4k on an OLED, I spent $400 on a TCL almost 5yrs ago and I really see no difference. Maybe if I was watching them side-by-side in a totally dark room, and it was a sporting event I could tell the difference, but it doesn't really change the experience for me (at least not to the point where I'd consider spending 10x as much).

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed May 27, 2020 12:09 pm

Either there's a bunch of confirmation bias going on or y'all need to get your eyes checked. Or maybe it's cheaper if you don't. :) I can tell the difference between the Vizio in the bedroom and the one in the basement (both are 65" 4k LED backlit units). The Samsung in the front room is better than either, but the one in the bedroom is next best. Every true OLED I've seen positively shames every set in my house, except when comparing only black levels with the Samsung Plasma in the kitchen/living room.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed May 27, 2020 12:22 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:09 pm
Either there's a bunch of confirmation bias going on or y'all need to get your eyes checked. Or maybe it's cheaper if you don't. :) I can tell the difference between the Vizio in the bedroom and the one in the basement (both are 65" 4k LED backlit units). The Samsung in the front room is better than either, but the one in the bedroom is next best. Every true OLED I've seen positively shames every set in my house, except when comparing only black levels with the Samsung Plasma in the kitchen/living room.
It's not that I can't tell the difference, it's that I don't care. Slightly better black levels don't meaningfully impact my viewing experience. There's also a difference within brands and within years. A bottom tier Visio from 2015 isn't going to look nearly as good as a mid-tier Visio from 2020.

Kagord

Post by Kagord » Wed May 27, 2020 12:25 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:32 am
alfaspider wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:10 am
Kagord wrote:
bertilak wrote:

+1. My brother just spent $4k on an OLED, I spent $400 on a TCL almost 5yrs ago and I really see no difference. Maybe if I was watching them side-by-side in a totally dark room, and it was a sporting event I could tell the difference, but it doesn't really change the experience for me (at least not to the point where I'd consider spending 10x as much).
Alright, I'd like to take back my trash statement, I do own a Costco TCL ROKU for the bedroom. I can tell the difference, and to me, the TCL bugs me, usually right at the start. But yeah, I have a 7.1 surround, 15" subwoofer, and 65" plasma, and the TCL panel doesn't really immerse me, visually, in the movie experience.

So to each their own, apparently my kids can get enjoyment, and actually prefer, to watch a movie on their iPhone, and they seem to be indifferent to surround sound and plasma panel that is in the same room powered off. I've given up asking them if they want to switch, like "OK Boomer".
Last edited by Kagord on Wed May 27, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed May 27, 2020 12:26 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:22 pm
lazydavid wrote:
It's not that I can't tell the difference, it's that I don't care. Slightly better black levels don't meaningfully impact my viewing experience. There's also a difference within brands and within years. A bottom tier Visio from 2015 isn't going to look nearly as good as a mid-tier Visio from 2020.
This is the answer. The jump from 480i, 4:3 to 1080p 16:9 is huge. The jump from 1080p to 4K isn’t that huge of a difference. Perceptible? Yes. Must have? Definitely not.

Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA » Wed May 27, 2020 12:29 pm

If it matters to you, look at the ownership of TCL.

N.Y.Cab

Post by N.Y.Cab » Wed May 27, 2020 12:35 pm

One reason to use an external unit is for the best possible sound. Using a receiver as the hub, it would process all those surround sound signals then route them to various speakers along with video for the TV.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed May 27, 2020 12:46 pm

N.Y.Cab wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:35 pm
One reason to use an external unit is for the best possible sound. Using a receiver as the hub, it would process all those surround sound signals then route them to various speakers along with video for the TV.
Not necessary. My TCL with built in Roku has an audio return channel that outputs to my receiver. It's pretty slick because it enables one remote to control both the TV and receiver when engaged. My old split setup required either a separate remote for the receiver or use of a separate universal remote like the Logitech harmony (which is a lot more cumbersome than the Roku remote).

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed May 27, 2020 12:50 pm

lazydavid wrote:
I don't have an OLED and a 4k TCL in different rooms in my house. I have never viewed them side-by-side. All I know is I have never looked at my 4k TCL and thought "this picture isn't good" and the many times I have watched my brother's OLED it never crossed my mind that the picture was noticeably better. Side-by-side in an ideal environment I'm sure I could tell the difference, but it doesn't change me experience, at least not to the point where I'd even remotely consider spending the premium. "Budget" TVs today are remarkably cheap, and surprisingly good.

When I think of ways I can spend $3k more to improve my quality of life, a higher-end TV doesn't make the list. YMMV.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed May 27, 2020 1:28 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:22 pm
Ironically, the better set in the bedroom is an older but slightly higher-end model. It's a P series from 2016, while the basement one is an M-series from 2018. The one in the basement has significant IPS glow not seen on any other set in the house.