Software advice needed: remote tech assistance

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bfeenix44

Software advice needed: remote tech assistance

Post by bfeenix44 »

I work for a rural library and the Director has asked me to look into software we could use to remotely assist patrons in learning to navigate our web site, social media pages, online resources, etc.

I'd like to avoid taking control of their computer, and also I don't think we want to use cameras for face to face. The more tech you involve the less chance people are going to have it in their homes.

What I'd like to do is call somebody while they're on their computer and be able to see their screen on my screen.

TeamViewer has been suggested, and I'm starting to look at it. Any other suggestions are welcomed!

Prefer something simple... Not to many bells and whistles...that fits into a small town library budget.

Thanks!
tamara
Last edited by bfeenix44 on Thu May 28, 2020 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
KlangFool

Re: Software advice needed: remote tech assistance

Post by KlangFool »

bfeenix44 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:43 pm I work for a rural library and the Director has asked me to look into software we could use to remotely assist patrons in learning to navigate our web site, social media pages, online resources, etc.

I don't think I necessarily need to be able to directly access / control their computer... More like just be on the phone with them, be able to see what they're doing, and instruct.

TeamViewer has been suggested, and I'm starting to look at it. Any other suggestions are welcomed!

Prefer something simple... Not to many bells and whistles...that fits into a small town library budget.

Thanks!
tamara
https://www.webex.com/

Try WebEx. It is free and you can take control of their screen and walk them through the procedure if necessary.

KlangFool
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

+1 on WebEx.

I used a freebie WebEx account for virtual office hours for years. It is great for interactive, 1 on 1 help sessions. I'm not sure about the pricing, but it could also be used for remote seminars.

You could also package videos for YouTube. For example,

Screencast of how-to do certain things. We use Camtasia, but I'm sure there are other tools as well. Don't forget the closed captioning and transcript for ADA. Camtasia and YouTube will all help with that.

WebEx can record meetings. Record a meeting between a "teacher" and a "student." That will put some dialog and opportunity for questions in the recording. The recording can be downloaded and saved to YouTube.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

If your organization already has Microsoft 365, then Teams is a great option at no additional cost.
cockersx3

Post by cockersx3 »

Google Remote Desktop may be a good option for users that use the Chrome browser. It's free and fairly easy to use...I have used it before to help wife and through computer problems when I'm away on business, also have used it to help parents through issues.
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

Chrome Remote Assist is perfect for this. Super easy to use as long as recipient has Chrome, and if they don't it's not much harder than WebEx. It's free and secure.
sksbog

Post by sksbog »

bfeenix44 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:43 pm I work for a rural library and the Director has asked me to look into software we could use to remotely assist patrons in learning to navigate our web site, social media pages, online resources, etc.

I don't think I necessarily need to be able to directly access / control their computer... More like just be on the phone with them, be able to see what they're doing, and instruct.

Thanks!
tamara
1. Zoom
2. Teamviewer
3. Google meet , hangout
4. Microsoft Teams
Topic Author
bfeenix44

Post by bfeenix44 »

Thanks for the suggestions!
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Thanks!
tamara
Zoom or other similar software like webex and
They can share their screen or you can share yours
Also , I’ve found that making videos and uploading them to YouTube or just an mp4 video on your website landing page can be very helpful and is available 24/7
We use camtasia but you could just record a zoom session
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Ask your manager to run this remote service by HR and legal resource (if you have it). Make sure your company formally reviews and approves of this process. Taking over a computer that isn't company hardware, ie. a system owned by a private citizen, not an employee, not a customer who has signed liability service waver, etc. can in certain rare cases be risky. Obviously a "customer" holding you liable or complaining about something gone wrong on their system after the fact will be rare but it is a crazy world and it pays to be careful.
Topic Author
bfeenix44

Post by bfeenix44 »

jabberwockOG wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:51 pm Ask your manager to run this remote service by HR and legal resource (if you have it). Make sure your company formally reviews and approves of this process. Taking over a computer that isn't company hardware, ie. a system owned by a private citizen, not an employee, not a customer who has signed liability service waver, etc. can in certain rare cases be risky. Obviously a "customer" holding you liable or complaining about something gone wrong on their system after the fact will be rare but it is a crazy world and it pays to be careful.
I'd like to avoid taking control of their computer, and also I don't think we want to use cameras for face to face. The more tech you involve the less chance people are going to have it in their homes.

What I'd like to do is call somebody while they're on their computer and be able to see their screen on my screen.