What will you NOT buy online?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tvubpwcisla

What will you NOT buy online?

Post by tvubpwcisla » Mon May 25, 2020 10:24 am

It seems like everything is being sold online these days. Heck, you can even buy a car online and they will deliver it to you. It got me thinking, what would you not buy online?

:confused
Stay invested my friends.

Normchad

Re: What will you NOT buy online?

Post by Normchad » Mon May 25, 2020 10:26 am

As long as the return policy is good, I will buy absolutely anything online.

I already buy my clothes and shoes online. I bought my car online. I’d gladly buy a kidney online if it were available.

I don’t get any joy out of going to a store.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon May 25, 2020 10:53 am

I would not buy a pre-owned car or house online. (New car, probably, but I would need to have driven that same model/year previously - of course, I have never and will never buy a new car).

Anything else? Fair game.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon May 25, 2020 10:57 am

I do not buy estate documents (e.g. will) online. By the time you go to use it, if you find out that it is defective it is probably too late to get a refund or repair.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 » Mon May 25, 2020 11:04 am

Coffee.

Delivery food, yes. Can heat up and still be better than my cooking.

Reheating coffee, I can certainly boil water and grind coffee beans

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Mon May 25, 2020 11:07 am

A colonoscopy. :mrgreen:
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

quadog

Post by quadog » Mon May 25, 2020 11:10 am

I won’t buy anything off of Amazon et al that is consumed. Too much of a risk for counterfeit items slipping into the order. I’ll go to brick and mortar instead.

rob

Post by rob » Mon May 25, 2020 11:10 am

Stinky wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:07 am
A colonoscopy. :mrgreen:
You can order a box that you...er...put a sample in and give to the UPS truck... I bet the drivers LOVE this concept :shock:

Mattress and furniture are the ones that I avoid online - too hard to see & feel what your getting.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

DetroitPresley

Post by DetroitPresley » Mon May 25, 2020 11:26 am

Couch. Your butt will thank you.

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Mon May 25, 2020 1:00 pm

Like the earlier poster said, I get zero joy from stores - especially now. I'll buy anything online, as long as the company is reputable, it's risk free (no questions asked returns) and return shipping/delivery is free - I've even bought a car from Carvana entirely online - after a lot of research. Great experience btw.

I will not buy used cell phones online - many do and save a lot of money, but I want that new mfgr warranty - too many glitches/lemons and don't want to deal with the aggravation of private owners - and having to switch back my service, after porting it over if I have to return the phone - the less I have to deal with cell phone call center customer service reps, the happier my life is.

I will also not buy used appliances online - just not that big a price difference to make it worthwhile to me.
Last edited by BogleFanGal on Mon May 25, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Mon May 25, 2020 1:03 pm

jebmke wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:57 am
I do not buy estate documents (e.g. will) online. By the time you go to use it, if you find out that it is defective it is probably too late to get a refund or repair.
How is it even possible for you to find out that your own will is defective?

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Mon May 25, 2020 1:08 pm

If you can be assured that what you are buying is identical to what you saw, felt, or tried on in a store, I suppose the answer is nothing, at least for me.

But without being able to see, feel, or try it on first, I stay away from buying shoes and furniture online. And some clothes, from some retailers, simply because of their return policies (namely, anywhere that charges me to return an item).

illumination

Post by illumination » Mon May 25, 2020 5:20 pm

I may soften my stance, but I don't like buying a big screen television online. I've had 3 TVs right out of the box be defective, I just like the piece of mind of taking to take it back to a Costco or Best Buy and buying another one. Sometimes packing them back up perfectly back to reship can be difficult.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Mon May 25, 2020 5:53 pm

Produce. Meat. Plants (although I am rethinking this one). Most landscape supplies - dirt, mulch, fertilizer.

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Mon May 25, 2020 6:01 pm

illumination wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:20 pm
I may soften my stance, but I don't like buying a big screen television online. I've had 3 TVs right out of the box be defective, I just like the piece of mind of taking to take it back to a Costco or Best Buy and buying another one. Sometimes packing them back up perfectly back to reship can be difficult.
That’s part of my insistence on a good return policy. I do buy appliances and big screen TVs, online, from Costco. And the reason I’m willing to do that is that I know Costco won’t stick me if something is wrong. I probably wouldn’t be willing to buy those things online from any other retailer.

In a lot of ways, I really do prefer online to in person. And that’s mostly because of the reviews. If I see something with hundreds of reviews and 4.5 stars, I basically know I’ll be happy with it. That level of feedback/review was just never possible before. And I’ve taken it so far, that in a lot of cases, it really speeds up my shopping.

Invest4lt

Post by Invest4lt » Mon May 25, 2020 6:04 pm

I’ve been buying just about everything online from reputable dealers like Costco with good return policies. I’ve gotten mattresses, furniture, groceries, meat, wine, office equipment, technology related stuff.

I don’t buy used items from unknown sellers on eBay, though. I do buy plenty of refurbished stuff from the original manufacturer (Apple, Samsung, Bose, etc) and have had good experiences.
Last edited by Invest4lt on Mon May 25, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Mon May 25, 2020 6:04 pm

Ski boots. These should always be bought in person by a professional boot fitter.

BalancedJCB19

Post by BalancedJCB19 » Mon May 25, 2020 6:07 pm

Good question. I'm not sure. As long as I know I can get a refund, I would probably buy anything online. I'm seriously considering buying my next car on Carvana. I hate dealing with car dealers.

rockstar

Post by rockstar » Mon May 25, 2020 6:16 pm

Suits. I like to be fitted.

DavidW

Post by DavidW » Mon May 25, 2020 6:16 pm

Parts for the house. Sometimes the parts look similar but not exact (especially plumbing items). You want to make sure it is identical or your repair takes longer.

Sometimes the return is your dime or may require seller's approval... a hassle....

Bradford

Post by Bradford » Mon May 25, 2020 6:19 pm

RootSki wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:04 pm
Ski boots. These should always be bought in person by a professional boot fitter.
I made this mistake once haha

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon May 25, 2020 6:27 pm

Duplicate
Last edited by Broken Man 1999 on Mon May 25, 2020 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon May 25, 2020 6:27 pm

I bought my current van online in 2009. I bought it from a company that sold wheelchair vans to the State of Florida. I gave the company a down payment and they delivered it from Jacksonville to my Tampa Bay area home.

It is approved by DOT for actual for-hire uses. Very sturdy, fully equipped with a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher.

I told DW she ought to haul people around in it to make me money to help on household expenses. She said some foul words which I took to mean she was not interested.

Most of our TVs were purchased from Costco online. I have bought many electronics, including PCs, tablets, laptops, my three Onkyo receivers, my HSU Research speakers, all online. Fireplace logs, plumbing and electrical fixtures, door locks, cabinet drawer pulls, cabinet doorknobs, garbage disposal for our recent kitchen remodel... the list goes on and on.

A DD just bought all of her new bedroom furniture online.

I'm not sure there is much of anything I wouldn't buy online. We have bought grocery items online well before the current virus had many doing so.

All my clothes were bought online. DDs buy many of their clothes, and clothes for their children online.

I don't care to go to stores, so if an item is available online, that is always my first choice.

Obviously one has to buy from reputable merchants, but that is not any different than buying from reputable brick and mortar establishments.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

jjface

Post by jjface » Mon May 25, 2020 6:47 pm

panda express lol

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:47 pm

meat, raw

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon May 25, 2020 9:13 pm

illumination wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:20 pm
Bought a TV with integral Amazon Prime online. Listed on Amazon, sold by Best Buy . Seems the software was defective - couldn't log in to my Amazon account. Easy return to the local Best Buy. No reship required.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Mon May 25, 2020 9:17 pm

Bogle7 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:47 pm
meat, raw
Some of the best steaks I have ever had were ordered online. Much of the meat (if not all) shipped by Amazon Fresh is vacuum packed.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

celia

Post by celia » Mon May 25, 2020 9:19 pm

Hearing aids and prescription glasses. I’m very particular about my frame sIze because of my vision. Also both have to be adjusted for you.

RightGuard

Post by RightGuard » Tue May 26, 2020 12:23 am

Hand tools, unless a direct replacement for something I've already used.

Also fresh food. I'd rather pick out my own apples.

IMO

Post by IMO » Tue May 26, 2020 1:59 am

tvubpwcisla wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:24 am
It seems like everything is being sold online these days. Heck, you can even buy a car online and they will deliver it to you. It got me thinking, what would you not buy online?

A spouse.

telemark

Post by telemark » Tue May 26, 2020 2:16 am

The line is more blurred than it used to be. If I order a pizza and pay for it online, then walk over to pick it up, does that count?

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Tue May 26, 2020 3:50 am

tibbitts wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:03 pm
jebmke wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:57 am
How is it even possible for you to find out that your own will is defective?
A powerful argument against risking a defective will, if you care about your heirs.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Tue May 26, 2020 1:32 pm

quadog wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:10 am
I won’t buy anything off of Amazon et al that is consumed. Too much of a risk for counterfeit items slipping into the order. I’ll go to brick and mortar instead.
I've gotten some great nuts from amazon and excellent prices.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Tue May 26, 2020 1:36 pm

rockstar wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:16 pm
All your suits are bespoke? You can buy suits online and still have them tailored.

As for me, anything with a strong return policy. I would stop short of buying a house sight-unseen/online.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Tue May 26, 2020 1:38 pm

rockstar wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:16 pm
There are several companies that will custom tailor suits to your measurements for a darn good price.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Tue May 26, 2020 1:39 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:17 pm
Bogle7 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:47 pm
meat, raw
Some of the best steaks I have ever had were ordered online. Much of the meat (if not all) shipped by Amazon Fresh is vacuum packed.
+1

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Tue May 26, 2020 1:43 pm

Normchad wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:26 am
I already buy my clothes and shoes online. I bought my car online. I’d gladly buy a kidney online if it were available.
I don’t get any joy out of going to a store.
I outgrew enjoying the mall crawl many years ago too. The vast majority of my shopping is online, happily so.

However one exception for me is no clothes or shoes purchases online. I"m picky enough and women's sizes are idiosyncratic enough that it's not worth it for me to try things via having them mailed with the expectation I will then need to go through a return mail process if and when they aren't right.

Otherwise I can't think of much I won't buy online. Would like to think we were somewhat first adapters on this; we bought a rebuilt engine online for my husband's pickup truck ~20 years ago. At the time most of our friends were aghast but it worked out fine.

Basically anything that doesn't require being fitted to my body seems like a candidate for showing up packaged at the doorstep.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Tue May 26, 2020 1:50 pm

tvubpwcisla wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:24 am

Anything that you have to get a "feel" for. Mattress for instance, couch, bike. You have to try it and get a feel for it, to decide for yourself whether its good for you or not. If I have bought it before, I still can buy it online, but something I havent tried before, I can't seem myself buying.

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Tue May 26, 2020 1:51 pm

Real estate. That's too much commitment to not see it in person.

And I'm also very picky about shopping online for SD Cards and the like. Counterfeiters are all over that industry. I've bought them, but you have to make sure you're buying from someone reputable, and check to make sure it's legit once it arrives.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Tue May 26, 2020 1:56 pm

Prescription meds.

Furniture that has a seat (see Oops below). Tables are OK if you measure carefully. Car for same reason -- how does the driver's seat feel?

Never thought I'd buy shoes online, but once I find the right shoe online, I buy two or three more in case they go out of stock.

Oops, thought of an exception. I bought an AmazonBasics zero gravity chair and it's great and less expensive than the brand names, and sturdier. It does not have a tray but a side table is better.

I tried meds online but they kept sending the wrong thing (not Amazon, it was a mail-order pharmacy picked by my employer's health plan. I once was a nurse and distrust every med automatically until examined carefully -- nothing personal, that's what I learned to do and it is a habit you never lose.
18% cash 44% stock 38% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%

Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 » Tue May 26, 2020 4:54 pm

Won’t buy flowers on line. Prefer to walk in the house with them in hand for the spouse. Plus the farmers market every Sunday is the norm for flowers. Took a 6 week hiatus but this has reopened.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Tue May 26, 2020 5:43 pm

IMO wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:59 am
A spouse.
Given the current success rates of in-person selection, online may be an improvement.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Tue May 26, 2020 5:44 pm

OP,

We had an awful experience buying a Mattress online, never again.

WoodSpinner

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue May 26, 2020 5:47 pm

Love.

wander

Post by wander » Tue May 26, 2020 5:54 pm

I won't buy auto parts online unless I cannot get it from auto parts stores (especially when time is critical). First, it takes too long to get the parts while I need to get the car running ASAP. Second, if I have to return a defect part can be very painful. But when time is not critical, and original parts are actually cheaper than from local stores, then absolutely YES, I will buy it online.
I would never buy food online. I ordered curbside service for picking up at the grocery store and regreted because the people who did shopping for me might be school students who never did the shopping themselves and timing was an issue for them so they grab stuffs. :D They did good job btw, but couldn't compare to me when I have to spend a few seconds looking for the finest on the shelves.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Wed May 27, 2020 1:29 am

protagonist wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:47 pm
Love.
Where else do you usually buy that from ?

Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong » Wed May 27, 2020 2:43 am

Used underwear

dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 » Wed May 27, 2020 5:43 am

I personally won't buy perishable foods, clothes, furniture, cars, or houses strictly online. I say strictly because I may use elements of online shopping, such as placing an online order after trying something in store if the company offers both options (I don't abuse this by trying things in store and then buying from an online competitor). My wife has bought food online, and our experiences have been very mixed. Grocery delivery has sent us things we didn't order, as well as items which were on the verge of going back, and many of the items ended up being very different sizes than we expected, usually on the smaller side. She has also done trials of meal kit delivery services, and they often made really awful substitutions due to specific ingredient shortages, but more importantly, they also sent ingredients which went bad within a day, even with refrigeration. My wife does quite a bit of clothes shopping online, but I'm overweight and just know I would struggle with sizing, and having to deal with frequent returns just isn't worth my time or money. With furniture, I greatly value comfort and durability, and it's tough to judge those things online. And finally, when it comes to cars and houses, I just think those purchases are too big and functionally important to not do in-person due diligence.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed May 27, 2020 6:23 am

Besides a lot of the things mentioned above, I wouldn't buy fuel for my car online. I can't imagine hiring or paying for a contractor online for home renovations or remodels.

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Wed May 27, 2020 6:41 am

DetroitPresley wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:26 am
Couch. Your butt will thank you.
Your mileage may vary, but I bought a couch from IKEA online--one they don't sell in stores--and my butt and I are very happy with it.