Anyone buy a car from a rental car company???

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BeachPerson

Anyone buy a car from a rental car company???

Post by BeachPerson » Mon May 25, 2020 10:12 am

Buying from rental car companies
And they often sell these cars online with no-haggle pricing and at a significant discount to other used car sellers.

I considered getting my last car this way, but wanted a car with the latest safety features. Now with Hertz going bankrupt, could be a good option.
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

jb1

Re: Anyone buy a car from a rental car company???

Post by jb1 » Mon May 25, 2020 10:14 am

I used to work at enterprise and the cars they sold were still in great condition of course, just a few years older in the fleet. I have never spoken or bought, but they were proud of the no hassle pricing.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon May 25, 2020 10:17 am

Knowing the way I drive a rental car, not sure I would buy one :)

On a serious note, in theory all of these vehicles should have had regular maintenance throughout their service time.

I have looked and have not found any significant discounts on their site(s) compared to regular dealer sites.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Mon May 25, 2020 10:31 am

My dad brought one from Hertz years ago. No issues. I bought a courtesy car from Lexus in 2008 - still have it and love it. Came with warranty.

Golf maniac

Post by Golf maniac » Mon May 25, 2020 10:34 am

I bought from Hertz last December. Very easy and simple. Price in my location was much better than dealer. Had 7 days to return. I took it to a local dealer and it checked out fine. Still have engine and transmission warranty until 60k miles.

yangtui

Post by yangtui » Mon May 25, 2020 10:40 am

I bought a 2014 Honda Civic with 13k miles on it from Hertz in 2015. It is still going strong. I believe I saved a decent amount of money getting my car this way. The cars are very well cared for. A very thorough maintenance log was included with my purchase. They let me drive it around as a rental for a week for free before I bought it. I took it to my mechanic before I decided to purchase it and he said it was in great condition. Very easy transaction.

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon May 25, 2020 10:50 am

There are lots of old threads on this that you can look up.

I once had to buy a replacement car in a hurry and I ended up buying a Hertz rental car and it worked out very well for me and the car still had a few thousand miles left on the full factory warranty. I was also able to review(but not copy) the maintenance records and the only thing that was unusual was that a side rear view mirror had be knocked off and replaced.

Lot of people have posted about also having good experiences with buying rental cars. One thing that I really like about buying a used rental car is that you know that they are selling them as part of their normal business plan. If you were going to buy a 2-3 year old car from an individual you would have to wonder why they are selling it.

Some people are convinced that rental cars are abused so they would never buy one, but I don't recall anyone actually posting having unusual problems like that with a car they had bought. You would still want to have it inspected to try to find any sign of an accident or abuse just like any used car you are looking at.

A lot of that might depend on the type of car too. Something like a rental sports car I would be more suspect of but the car that I bought was a sedan that had been used in Florida, likely by tourists around places like Disneyworld.

Some things to check on are that rental cars may have things like more wear on the seats and scratches on the edge of the trunk where luggage was put in the trunk more often. Rental car tires may also be due to be replaced because of the mileage and they may not be good about rotating, balancing, and aligning the tires. They may also need an alignment because people not familiar with a car may hit curbs more often. Also check to make sure that things like the spare tire and jack are in the car. On some cars keys can be very expensive to make so also make sure you get two keys.

I periodically check the Hertz car sale lot near me out of curiosity. Sometimes they have really good prices when they want to move cars but often their prices are not very good. I bought a new Corolla two years ago and I got a pretty good price. I have seen identical rental Corollas for sale that had 20K+ miles on them for more than I paid for my new car. You cannot assume that the prices are always good.

One other thing to check is that not all the cars on a rental car sales lot may actually have been rental cars. They may also sell lease returns and cars they got other ways, but if you check you should easily be able to figure out if it was really a rental car or not.

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Mon May 25, 2020 1:10 pm

I periodically check the Hertz car sale lot near me out of curiosity. Sometimes they have really good prices when they want to move cars but often their prices are not very good. I bought a new Corolla two years ago and I got a pretty good price. I have seen identical rental Corollas for sale that had 20K+ miles on the

Same here - I'll likely be buying a car this year and wanted to go with Hertz because of the no hassle negotiating, but right now, their prices are IN KBB range for a kia - which is not really a good value, given that it's a rental car and value is already dinged + $500-1000 more for a certified model at the dealer gets you their much longer warranty. Buying a rental car should get you slightly below KBB...hoping their prices come down in the next few months.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain

dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 » Mon May 25, 2020 1:18 pm

I don't know how to prove this, but I've never been convinced that people drive rental cars roughly enough to matter. If anything, knowing how closely the car will be scrutinized upon return, I go out of my way to avoid dings, dents, and scratches. They usually aren't driven through the desert in summer or drag raced, either.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Mon May 25, 2020 1:38 pm

Actually, I drive rental cars more carefully and gently than my own cars. I don't want to go through trouble with someone else's car if anything goes wrong. Another reason is that I am not familiar with rental cars even if I am familiar with the particular model.

prudent

Post by prudent » Mon May 25, 2020 1:48 pm

Yes, bought a year-old Buick with 23k miles for 40% less than new. I had it checked out before signing off. I could have been wrong, but I figured (1) this is not a car any gearhead would choose to rent for abuse - it's was a soft-riding boat; and (2) you can't put 23k miles on a car in one year unless there's a lot of highway miles which aren't as hard on a car. Turned out to be a solid, reliable car. Don't think I'd buy a rental Mustang though.

KCjoe

Post by KCjoe » Mon May 25, 2020 2:02 pm

I bought a used car probably 15 years ago from Enterprise with great results. Kept the car for years without any issues. Loved the no hassle sales process, which back then was the exception.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Mon May 25, 2020 2:03 pm

My father always bought vehicles for his managers to use from rental car companies though he always bought new vehicles for himself. When we lived in Colorado, we would rent a vehicle rather than use our own for some locations. On the plains of CO, the roads are dirt with steel cattle guards (grids) in the road which are ribbed; in other locations in the mountains the roads were also dirt but with deep holes and in some places were ribbed. We didn't want to damage our vehicle's suspension. Depends on where you live I suppose.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Mon May 25, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd » Mon May 25, 2020 2:05 pm

never done it but doesnt sound appealing to me. increased risk of many hundreds of times its been rented out and rode hard by the drivers since they dont really care since its not their own car. plus the increased risk due to grossness factor of people who could bring pests like roaches and bedbugs in the car.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Mon May 25, 2020 3:07 pm

I bought one from Hertz. Good deal, they have a rent to buy program which is cheaper than the cars already pulled from the rental program and prepared for sale.
The process had a few hiccups, but overall got a great deal. Car was still under factory warranty.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon May 25, 2020 4:24 pm

I wouldn't. I cannot believe everyone drives/treats a rental car like they drive their own car. They also tend to have a lot of miles in a short time meaning they will be out of warranty. Maybe the impact of it being a rental isn't as bad as I think, but I don't see any benefits (is the price really lower than a similar car?) Of course, buying any used car you don't know how the prior driver drove it unless you knew them.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Mon May 25, 2020 4:39 pm

I helped my parents buy a one-year old Lincoln sedan through Hertz Car Sales last year. Although the car was not cosmetically perfect (typical rental car suitcase scratches on the bumper near the trunk, two wheels had some curb rash, Hertz didn't do much of a job detailing the interior, etc.) the price was probably $5k less than the same age/mileage Lincolns at the local Lincoln dealers even after haggling at those dealers. The car was/is still under full factory warranty and had less than 25k miles. They've had no problems with it and are happy with the purchase.

I used to be very hesitant towards former rental cars, but now I would like to think the higher rental category Hertz cars are typically being rented by traveling businesspeople at the airport who aren't going to do anything stupid while their employer is footing the bill. I'd still be hesitant about an economy category rental car (usually rented by younger people) and/or one that was likely used as an insurance replacement rental (Enterprise, usually).

Since ex-rental cars are basically a commodity and usually a common model, I'd be patient with scrutinizing the individual cars on their sales lots until you find one that feels right. When looking with my parents we passed on a few for no reason other than the air freshener scent they put in it was unusually strong and was probably covering up something undesireable that had happened in the car (smoking, pet bathroom accident, etc.). The one they bought still had some new car smell left.

Also be advised that many of the manufacturer CPO programs are now selling former rental cars...certain programs used to not allow this. The certified Cadillac CTS and XTS models at my local Cadillac dealer are almost exclusively all former Sixt rental cars.
Last edited by tim1999 on Mon May 25, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

azjon

Post by azjon » Mon May 25, 2020 4:43 pm

Something to consider is if you buy a used vehicle from a dealer it may have been purchased at auction and you indirectly may be buying a prior rental vehicle. My wife purchased a used 2019 Infiniti late last year from a nearby dealer (a conglomerate of dealerships owned by Berkshire Hathaway) and when we reviewed the Carfax it turns out it was originally owned and used as a rental fleet vehicle by Hertz. We've had no issues with the vehicle to date.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Mon May 25, 2020 6:00 pm

azjon wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:43 pm
Something to consider is if you buy a used vehicle from a dealer it may have been purchased at auction and you indirectly may be buying a prior rental vehicle. My wife purchased a used 2019 Infiniti late last year from a nearby dealer (a conglomerate of dealerships owned by Berkshire Hathaway) and when we reviewed the Carfax it turns out it was originally owned and used as a rental fleet vehicle by Hertz. We've had no issues with the vehicle to date.
If you find a vehicle on a new dealer lot that is 1-2 years old with 45k or fewer miles, there is a very strong possibility that it came from a rental car floor. If the vehicle is three years old with 60k miles, it is very likely that it is from a corporate fleet.

Twenty tears ago, it was a lot easier to identify rental cars as they had certain equipment like reinforced steering columns that most dealer cars did not. However, I would agree with some that the best way these days is to look at the paint near the trunks. Most rental cars have more than their share of paint scrapes.

Over the years, I have bought a car direct from Avis, three vehicles from my brother's dealership that were rental cars, and a couple of corporate fleet vehicles. Would I do it again? Certainly if 1) I have the ability to take the vehicle to my favorite mechanic and 2) if the price is right.

If I have to buy a car this year, it will probably be from Hertz as the spread between a new Corolla and a used 2020 Corolla with 15k is almost $5-6k.

foamypirate

Post by foamypirate » Mon May 25, 2020 7:01 pm

Anecdotal, certainly, but my parents purchased a rental back in 2001, from Hertz. They drove it for 18 years and to 273k miles. Seemed to work out for them. :beer

iamblessed

Post by iamblessed » Mon May 25, 2020 7:40 pm

MathIsMyWayr wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:38 pm
Actually, I drive rental cars more carefully and gently than my own cars. I don't want to go through trouble with someone else's car if anything goes wrong. Another reason is that I am not familiar with rental cars even if I am familiar with the particular model.
Me to.

Gort

Post by Gort » Mon May 25, 2020 7:43 pm

Rental car companies also buy cars at the large auctions and put them on the same For Sale lot as their used rentals. The car you purchase from them may never have been a rental car and thus may not have received the same quality of care that you expected. Check the Carfax before buying.

Post by 123 » Mon May 25, 2020 7:50 pm

I happened to look at the Hertz used car site https://www.hertzcarsales.com/ the other day and was amazed at the offerings (the vehicles, not the prices). There were lots of 2020 Toyotas listed and finding low mileage vehicles (under 10,000 miles) was really easy.

I'm sure they're cutting back their vehicle inventory due to the bankruptcy and travel slow-down.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Mon May 25, 2020 8:49 pm

I did. So far it is not a bad experience. One thing to take care of, they don't go through insurance when the car is involved in an accident. They do the body work in their own facilities, so don't rely on the "clean" Carfax, it means nothing. Let an experienced mechanic inspect it.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

phxjcc

Post by phxjcc » Mon May 25, 2020 9:56 pm

Bought a 2011 Crown Victoria in 2012 from Hertz because I wanted a Crown Vic and the last year were fleet or rental only. Needed reliable with excellent A/C to transport chemo patient.

Great experience.
Called the local lot, ordered the car to be shipped from back East, showed up with a cashiers check, inspected car, and 1hr later out the door. No F&I nonsense.

Only issue was the rear bumper was re-sprayed, and not well.

For a commodity automobile it is a good deal.

hammond

Post by hammond » Mon May 25, 2020 11:20 pm

I have been thinking of buying a Porsche 911 and I know hertz has them in their fleet. Any idea when this will open up?