Pandemic buys that have improved quality of life?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hammond

Pandemic buys that have improved quality of life?

Post by hammond »

What are some things that you have bought during this pandemic that have greatly enhanced your quality of life.

This was pre-pandemic and we got lucky but I bought a used second fridge on nextdoor and has vastly served useful during this time.
HEDGEFUNDIE

Re: Pandemic buys that have improved quality of life?

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE »

Panic bought a freezer before they all sold out to store my panic bought food
FrankTheViking

Post by FrankTheViking »

Not pandemic related but pulled the trigger on a meat grinder. Chicken nuggets are flirting with the burgers. Regret nothing.
No EF. 80% Total U.S. / 20% Total International. 100% equity. Is there a gun to your head? Is there a tiger in the room? No? What's the problem?
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

We have had a 2nd fridge in our basement for a while. It has definitely helpful during this pandemic.
frankandbeans

Post by frankandbeans »

Robot vacuums. One for each floor. Game changer.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

more plants and mulch for our yard.
slick_dealer_05

Post by slick_dealer_05 »

Deebot (robot vacuum), sit stand table, 32" IPS monitor (use with laptop on docking station), Soda stream, Mesh Wifi
yangtui

Post by yangtui »

I bought a reclining beach chair that I take to a local park after I finish work for the day. I stretch out for an hour and read. I also bought a 2 person tent that I will use to sleep in various places until I can travel and stay in hotels again. I can social distance in a friends yard. Eat some bbq and drink then just crash outside for the night.
sd323232

Post by sd323232 »

toilet bidet. best purchase ever. now i dont care about toilet paper shortages
spoco79

Post by spoco79 »

My HVAC went out and I opted to purchase a much more higher efficiency model, taking advantage of some generous rebates. Went from a SEER 10 builders grade unit to a SEER 25 Lennox.

The air quality in my home is dramatically better. The unit is much quieter and runs less. I haven’t received a full months electricity bill, but I suspect it will go down 30-;0 percent.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

We've learned to make our own tortillas with Costco masa. It's ridiculously easy, and we're never again buying grocery store tortillas.

Marylander1
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

Sit stand desk for the kids home schooling. It goes below normal desk height.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Electric tea kettle. I love it, and it cost less than $100 from Costco.
student5

Post by student5 »

Pedometers for the whole family.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (stuff you bought).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

I just ordered a Kindle.

I've been reading books on my iPhone 7+ and in paper version, but I felt it's time for me to be able to recline and read comfortably, day or night, wherever I am.

The other item I bought was a 12" cast iron (Lodge) pan. I'm doing most of the cooking these days, and I wanted to make more sautéed vegetables. I've had it about 6 weeks and I love it! No one uses it but me, and it's just for veggies.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Sit/stand desk
Milk frother
Tennis ball machine
Floor cleaning machine
Actually purchased before pandemic, but appreciate washlet toilet more than ever
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

Quick frozen Alaskan king salmon and halibut servings (4-5 oz each) from Sizzlefish. I take them out of our freezer the night before and they are defrosted by the time I make dinner. Very tasty.
staustin

Post by staustin »

ClaycordJCA wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:01 pm Quick frozen Alaskan king salmon and halibut servings (4-5 oz each) from Sizzlefish. I take them out of our freezer the night before and they are defrosted by the time I make dinner. Very tasty.
this post alone was worth my time visiting the board tonight.. had no idea!!!
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Balsamic vinegar.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

staustin wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:40 pm
ClaycordJCA wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:01 pm Quick frozen Alaskan king salmon and halibut servings (4-5 oz each) from Sizzlefish. I take them out of our freezer the night before and they are defrosted by the time I make dinner. Very tasty.
this post alone was worth my time visiting the board tonight.. had no idea!!!
I do this. Rinse off all the ice. Put it in a frying pan in 1/8” water, burner on high. Pour olive oil on top, and sprinkle on whatever spice(s). When the steam starts coming, put on the lid and turn the burner down to about 1/3. Just when the pan is about dry and the scent draws you in, Voilà!!!
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Outdoor flat top griddle (inspired by a post in another thread on BH). I'm still getting my feet under me with it, but so far I'm liking it a lot.
bluesky50

Post by bluesky50 »

Steelcase Leap chair
Sit/Standing work desk
High quality leggings as work from home clothes
02nz

Post by 02nz »

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:02 pm Panic bought a freezer before they all sold out to store my panic bought food
Yep we did the same. It’s actually pretty useful even without a pandemic - stock up when stuff goes on sale.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Computer monitor for $80 for dual-display setup with monitor. Great for productivity and esp. useful for Zoom.
FlamingoTime

Post by FlamingoTime »

Purchased a small chest freezer mainly because our fridge was having issues and we wanted a back up. Love having the extra freezer space now. So that led us to buy a vacuum sealer. Best decision ever. Wish I had done it years ago. No more freezer burn and more space in freezer.
ksJoe

Post by ksJoe »

We already had an upright freezer, but I bought a smallish chest freezer as they were disappering (6 week wait, but I have it now). Just before the chest freezer arrived, I ordered 1/4 beef from a local packer. A few days later I ordered a whole hog.

The 1/4 beef came in at about 270 lbs at around $3.10/lb + tax. That includes 70# of ground plus roasts, steaks and half a brisket. Its a great bargain even if the prices weren't soaring at retail.

I don't know what exactly the hog will cost yet, but it should be ready in the next couple weeks. Now that I think about it, I didn't ask them the price when called to order (but in a casual conversation weeks before the prices sounded good). They operate at market wholesale meat price + processing costs, but wrap it together in a price per pound. They have different prices per pound depending on how much you're adding (whole, half, quarter). But animal size varies so there are no guarantees on the final quantity or total price. They take half the estimated cost upfront, withe the balance due at pickup.

A couple weeks ago they said they're now booked up through the end of the year.

I had no idea we could save so much buying from a local packer/processor. The only regret is that it took a pandemic to make us look into buying in bulk from a local meat processor. I don't think we'll ever go back to buying meat retail.
Watty

Post by Watty »

I bought an inexpensive carpet cleaner.

When I empty the dirty water tank I can't quite decide is the black water is disgusting or oddly satisfying.
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

We got HBO
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Yard landscape additions. Also, we got HBO for awhile but have canceled it now.

Tim
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

frankandbeans wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:05 pm Robot vacuums. One for each floor. Game changer.
Have an amazon link, or similar, to what you bought? Thinking about this....
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Percussion massager. Wow. I love it. Who knows when I'll feel comfortable getting in-person massages again, but this is a good substitute, far cheaper and available anytime.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TW ... UTF8&psc=1
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

I bought some slower speed driver discs for disc golf. I had moved up to high speed discs too quickly and wasn't getting good distance or control out of them. With the slower discs, I am getting more distance and better control. In particular, I moved away from the Crank SS and Nuke SS to the Heat. I also got a basket so I can practice putting at home.

I also bought Animal Crossing for the Switch. It has been a pleasant way to spend a lot of time at home. It has helped me shift away from a Bogleheads buy and hold strategy to being a turnip market timer, but only in the game.
Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd »

Even though I was shopping long before the pandemic, I bought a pellet smoker. RECTEC. Love it.

Just in time for the meat shortage! :oops:
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE »

Peloton app subscription.

Probably will not buy the bike, but the app has already gotten me off the couch and for that I am grateful.
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

High end sipping tequila: Don Jose 1942.

After a 20 year hiatus from tequila due to youthful indiscretion.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

A jar of Luxardo Cherries for superior Manhattan construction.
2cents2

Post by 2cents2 »

Pair of clippers so I could cut DH's hair. I have never done a hair cut before, but I gave him the best haircut I could give based on the YouTube tutorial. (DH is happy about not having long hair--so, I guess that is a win).

Fabric to make masks for family and friends.
Leemiller

Post by Leemiller »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:38 pm Sit/stand desk
Milk frother
Tennis ball machine
Floor cleaning machine
Actually purchased before pandemic, but appreciate washlet toilet more than ever
Which milk frother did you get? We have a cheap handheld that I really like but the foam doesn’t last very long / compare to a real latte so I’m interested in upgrading.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Leemiller wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:11 am
Milk frother
Tennis ball machine
Floor cleaning machine
Which milk frother did you get? We have a cheap handheld that I really like but the foam doesn’t last very long / compare to a real latte so I’m interested in upgrading.
I had this same question and posted this a while back on frothers:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=302598&hilit=MILK

I ended up buying the Secura milk frother on Amazon which I like much better than the battery operated one I have (rusts and batteries don't last long.)
frankandbeans

Post by frankandbeans »

chuckb84 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:59 am
frankandbeans wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:05 pm Robot vacuums. One for each floor. Game changer.
Have an amazon link, or similar, to what you bought? Thinking about this....
We got refurb Robovac 30c for $129 each. They appear brand new and have been great. Was debating between one smarter and more expensive vacuum for whole house or a dumber, cheaper one for each floor, and the latter seems to have been the right choice. It's crazy the amount of stuff they pick up, even when running 2-3x/day. Four humans and a dog, home 24/7, will do that.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Xrayman69 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:02 am High end sipping tequila: Don Jose 1942.

I also have upgraded my tequila though not to that level. Higher quality tequila makes the margaritas infinitely better.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
scout1

Post by scout1 »

Monitors, mouse and keyboard for a better WFH setup.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Concept2 rower
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
jayk238

Post by jayk238 »

Bought a freezer way before everyone else in february.
Made a meaningful difference

Bought an espresso maker breville barista 870xl
Normally 700 but got it at bed bath for 450. Glad we did.

Really wish I got the peloton tread before they stopped selling them.

Bought better running shoes since I started to run and purchased the strava app.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

Pre-pandemic but useful during: indoor golf practice (incomplete, but it's a mat and a net and room to swing at least a utility metal), second refrigerator (primarily used for beer and ice cream). I also bought a bidet attachment a few years ago, never finished installing it, I think I took it when I moved but I don't know where it is. I will get one when supplies return.

During pandemic: hair trimmer. I hate having long hair. I did my first self-haircut a week ago, and it looks about as nice as about a month after a haircut. I won't get confused for having snuck out to get my hair done professionally, but maybe I'll brave clipper settings lower than 4 next time I try (I did 8, then 6, then 4). When I get my hair cut professionally in the past, I typically ask for setting 2. Also this thing cost me less than I usually spend on a haircut.

Plans for soon: backyard grill / green egg (recently moved, was planning to set up backyard in March-May, but you know how that went).

My first semi-post-pandemic purchase was going out to my favorite pizza place for pizza. Chicken, mushroom, onion and garlic. Very high quality of life product.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.
JAR89

Post by JAR89 »

JonnyDVM wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:53 am
Xrayman69 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:02 am High end sipping tequila: Don Jose 1942.

I also have upgraded my tequila though not to that level. Higher quality tequila makes the margaritas infinitely better.
Conventional wisdom is to not use high end tequila in margaritas and mixed drinks. But as a tequila fan, I completely agree that an upgrade in tequila is worth it for margaritas. I think Casamigos is probably the perfect tequila for margaritas...good enough to make a difference but at a fairly reasonable price point ($50).
mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn »

I live with wife and son (moved home just because of pandemic working here remotely). I have a set of noise cancelling headphones we bought for a couple long flights (we had to cancel because of C19) and have used them a lot to listen to podcasts, news, YouTube, etc...plus the Airpods I already had. The Airpods are great for long walks and at home when I don't need the isolation of headphones. My garage refrigerator / freezer died just after stay at home but got one delivered that I unboxed myself and "installed".

So, Airpods/Headphones and new freezer on the bottom/beer on the top in garage has been a lifesaver!
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Leemiller wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:11 am
Milk frother
Tennis ball machine
Floor cleaning machine
I got a Miroco heater and frother. I’ve previously used a frother in a failed experiment at Bulletproof coffee, but it was a cheap handheld and it doesn’t warm the milk (which was more important to my wife than the frothing, tbh).
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Came in handy during the pandemic and huge convenience.
Large upright freezer (bought pre pandemic) in garage.
Medium refrigerator/freezer (kept in garage after upgrading kitchen frig)

Bread maker (pandemic buy and possible cause of weight gain) :oops:

Roshizuku something rice cooker (upgraded old rice cooker) awesome!
Electric coffee bean burr grinder (awesome!)

j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon May 25, 2020 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know