Does software play a role in choosing TV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
boater07

Does software play a role in choosing TV

Post by boater07 » Sun May 24, 2020 5:18 pm

We have a Sony smart TV using Huluplus, Netflix and Amazon Prime w/o cable.
Very easy to navigate. My 2nd TV with Amazon fire stick is a nightmare- opening screen
is full of apps/ads. The settings will not allow me to delete apps.
A while ago, I read a review from someone with similar issues. He had purchased. an LG
with lots of clutter. His new Samsung solved the problem.
How can I tell what software the mfr uses. I'll probably just get another Sony to be sure-
but costs more. :greedy

sailaway

Re: Does software play a role in choosing TV

Post by sailaway » Sun May 24, 2020 5:20 pm

I couldn't believe how hard it was to find a TV capable of playing a slideshow from a USB stick when I wanted one for display purposes.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sun May 24, 2020 5:29 pm

I've heard good things about YouTube tv.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun May 24, 2020 5:34 pm

tennisplyr wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:29 pm
I've heard good things about YouTube tv.
I think OP is after the hahdweah not the content.

I suspect the software is pretty much the same for a particular manufacturer. If you like the Samsung software then get one of them. Samsung produces a very adequate TV.

For some reason, though, there is no Britbox app for Samsung.

walkabout

Post by walkabout » Sun May 24, 2020 5:38 pm

We have smart TVs, but we don’t use the smarts. We use Apple TVs. We have the same user experience in all TVs and we don’t have to worry about a smart tv app being obsoleted (like happened with Amazon Prime on an earlier smart tv).

Topic Author
boater07

Post by boater07 » Sun May 24, 2020 5:41 pm

I'm the OP--I hate having to get past AtHome, Photos,Amazonmusic IMBD etc etc
I don't plan to subscribe to any of those

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Sun May 24, 2020 5:57 pm

boater07 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:18 pm
Very easy to navigate. My 2nd TV with Amazon fire stick is a nightmare- opening screen
A while ago, I read a review from someone with similar issues. He had purchased. an LG
How can I tell what software the mfr uses. I'll probably just get another Sony to be sure-
Get a Roku... 100x better than an Amazon fire stick, turns any screen into a smart tv.

To add: Roku has in my opinion the best interface, and it supports all the streaming services and is relatively cheap.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Sun May 24, 2020 6:39 pm

+1. Have it for at least 5 years, including the current TV built-in.

cos

Post by cos » Sun May 24, 2020 7:04 pm

I never really understood the appeal of "smart" TVs. It's just a TV with a terrible computer built into it. The software isn't supported for very long and tends to be fairly locked down so you can't even maintain it yourself. They degrade far too quickly for my tastes, to the point where I typically avoid "smart" features as much as possible when shopping for TVs or similar appliances.

Just throw ~$40 at something like the Raspberry Pi, install whatever (ad-free) software you want, and watch whatever you want to your heart's content. If you don't have a free weekend to do the setup or you simply have far more money than you have time, I've heard good things about Nvidia's Android TV box, the Shield TV. They run around ~$200. Just plug it in via HDMI, and you're all set to go with almost any of the streaming services and applications offered on the Google Play Store (including the infamous Kodi from the XBMC Foundation).

dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:12 pm

Not sure I'd recommend the Pi or Shield to the average consumer over a Roku or Fire Stick, but I agree that relying on built in software is always painful.

Get an external dongle/box and get exactly the software interface you want.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:29 pm

anon_investor wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:57 pm
boater07 wrote:
Get a Roku... 100x better than an Amazon fire stick, turns any screen into a smart tv.

To add: Roku has in my opinion the best interface, and it supports all the streaming services and is relatively cheap.
This. The Roku can stay with you if you change to a new TV.

Brantley

Post by Brantley » Sun May 24, 2020 7:41 pm

Similar to what other folks have said, you can easily purchase another device such as a fire stick, Apple TV, etc. The software in all smart TVs will eventually become obsolete. However, if you don’t want to bother with another device in the near term, software can make a difference, but that is largely driven by the the chipset on the device. If you are looking to a Sony, it’s likely running Android. I recently purchased an OLED (A8G) which is a 2019 model and the software on the TV is already out of date as the hardware is not fast enough to run Android 9.0. If you have a model in mind, look up reviews and see what software it runs.
~Brantley

mathwhiz

Post by mathwhiz » Sun May 24, 2020 7:41 pm

If you own a Samsung Galaxy smartphone, having a samsung smart tv makes displaying content on the TV seemless. They have a smart view function where you can easily show family pictures or videos onto the tv (also any video content from the phone youtube, netflix, amazon, etc.).

zlandar

Post by zlandar » Sun May 24, 2020 7:44 pm

Software and hardware. For TVs this can vary by company and model number. I have a LG C9 OLED and the software is fine. Plays Youtube TV, Plex, Netflix, and Amazon just fine with Dolby Vision support through the TV. The CPU in the TV is powerful enough that navigating between and in the apps is fast and responsive. Lower-end and older LG TVs won't have the same support and have weaker CPUs that may have difficulty running current apps.

Or buy a separate box like a Shield, Apple TV, or Roku. I have a Shield and Roku Ultra and the Shield is more responsive IMO. It also cost almost 2x when you buy them on sale.

sd323232

Post by sd323232 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:50 pm

i barely use TV software, i have PS4 as my media device, will by PS5 when it comes out later this year.

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Sun May 24, 2020 7:54 pm

I ignore whatever software comes with the TV. Honestly I'd prefer they don't come with anything.

I'm either using my cable box (I am a dinosaur), or the Apple TV. I've never seen any built in TV software worth learning to use......

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:54 pm

We definitely prefer Roku to access our streaming apps. We only use the tv software as a last resort.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun May 24, 2020 8:10 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:34 pm
Just order it through Amazon Prime.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

rockstar

Post by rockstar » Sun May 24, 2020 8:23 pm

Nope. I care more about the panel. I stick with OLED.

Get a ROKU, Apple TV, or the new one from NVIDIA.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun May 24, 2020 8:31 pm

rockstar wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:23 pm
Nope. I care more about the panel. I stick with OLED.

Get a ROKU, Apple TV, or the new one from NVIDIA.
I have a number of LG OLED TVs, iirc on one I use LG software, one a Roku, one an Amazing Fire cube. I’m old and slow, but I don’t spend much time getting to what I want to watch.

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Sun May 24, 2020 9:05 pm

I am also a fan of Roku so for the last two TVs I have purchased I went with Roku TVs. They are no more expensive than the others so it simply saves having to buy another $40 Roku stick and eliminates one remote. They also do a good job of building a TV guide for your over the air channels if you use an antenna.

crefwatch

Post by crefwatch » Mon May 25, 2020 6:11 am

When I get frustrated with the “poor computer” aspect of my big LG OLED, I use the “Share Screen” (right on the factory input “Home” menu”) with my laptop on WiFi. The TV happens to be on wired ethernet, same router of course. Learned this from a YouTube video.

But I often just use the LG browser or YouTube app, when suitable.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Mon May 25, 2020 7:12 am

cos wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:04 pm
I never really understood the appeal of "smart" TVs. It's just a TV with a terrible computer built into it. The software isn't supported for very long and tends to be fairly locked down so you can't even maintain it yourself. They degrade far too quickly for my tastes, to the point where I typically avoid "smart" features as much as possible when shopping for TVs or similar appliances.
I agree with this except for one exception: TCL TVs with Roku software built in. It's the same open, updatable software in stand-alone Roku boxes with access to the same Roku app store. Before the TCLs became available, I shared your opinion entirely. We had a "smart" blu-ray player a decade ago that had the same issue. They stopped issuing updates after a year, and then Netflix changed something in their API and broke a lot of the features in the Netflix app.
tev9876 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:05 pm
I am also a fan of Roku so for the last two TVs I have purchased I went with Roku TVs. They are no more expensive than the others so it simply saves having to buy another $40 Roku stick and eliminates one remote. They also do a good job of building a TV guide for your over the air channels if you use an antenna.
+1 We have a few-year old 55" TCL 4K Roku TV, and I would absolutely buy another one if we were in the market. They have a great price-to-quality ratio, in addition to the best built-in software available. (We have a couple of stand-alone AppleTV boxes attached to other TVs, but Apple never released the rumored TV set with built-in software. And if they did, it would probably be premium hardware at a premium price.)

New Providence

Post by New Providence » Mon May 25, 2020 8:41 am

walkabout wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:38 pm
We have smart TVs, but we don’t use the smarts. We use Apple TVs. We have the same user experience in all TVs and we don’t have to worry about a smart tv app being obsoleted (like happened with Amazon Prime on an earlier smart tv).
Yes, same. Only have smart TVs, but I actually turn the TVs with the apple TV remote control and takes me exactly to the screen with my Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, Apple+, YouTubeTV. From there I go to whichever App.
I get HBO on the Apple+ App so the it is fully integrated on my menu to things to watch. Can't wait for HBOMAX.

rterickson

Post by rterickson » Mon May 25, 2020 9:47 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:10 pm
adamthesmythe wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:34 pm
Just order it through Amazon Prime.
Or use the Roku app.

dziuniek

Post by dziuniek » Mon May 25, 2020 9:51 am

Idk, my LG seems pretty decent. I have a PS4 connected to it, but prefer the built in tv apps. It's just faster to access.

On the plus side- it plays most formats videos straight from the USB stick. :D

I've recently started doing P90X again and ripped my dvds to AVI format so they're all on the USB stick and I don't have to swap out DVDs all the time.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Tue May 26, 2020 2:03 pm

boater07 wrote:
Nope everyone I have seen is clunky and slow as molasses. I use Roku premiere. It's way faster than my TVs software and much easier to navigate too. Adding or removing apps is a breeze and be done with your smartphone or the roku remote.

I have a 3 yo 4k Samsung higher end TV so it's not because I went cheap.

mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn » Tue May 26, 2020 3:57 pm

I dread changing anything to do with my living room TV set-up because of the learning curve for my wife. Bottom line is Samsung TV from Costco "happened" because I wanted a 65" to replace the 50" and it worked out really well. One remote for everything. Got rid of Apple TV because it wasn't necessary anymore with the new TV. We use Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, HBO & YouTube TV and they all work great with the one Samsung remote. The TV picture quality is fine too. I bought the middle price, not the cheapest one but wish I'd bought the highest end one, but I'm very, very picky. We bought the Samsung to replace a Sony plasma screen and the Sony even though it is only 1080 looks better than the Samsung 4k at the distance we watch. Nothing looks as good as the old plasma screens in my opinion, especially for movies which aren't typically "sharp"anyway.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue May 26, 2020 4:01 pm

The only thing that actually “replaced” my plasma is OLED.