Yahoo Mail Logs Out Repeatedly

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TheNightsToCome

Yahoo Mail Logs Out Repeatedly

Post by TheNightsToCome » Sun May 24, 2020 12:57 pm

I hope that the tech-savvy bogleheads can help with a solution to an annoying problem.

I log in to my Yahoo email account and check "stay logged in for 2 weeks." In the past, this worked fine. Recently, Yahoo logs me out repeatedly and automatically each day.

I've already looked for a solution with an internet search. A poster on Quora who is reportedly an ex-Yahoo tech worker suggested clearing cookies and cache, changing password, and logging back in. That didn't work.

I've tried different browsers. Same result.

Any suggestions?

F150HD

Re: Yahoo Mail Logs Out Repeatedly

Post by F150HD » Mon May 25, 2020 11:39 am

if you access it via phone app, it should not log you out each time (mine does not). I'd say thats where I read email 80% of the time, just far easier.

On the desktop I manually logout each time just as a security measure. Will see if mine autologs out today if I remember.

Topic Author
TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome » Mon May 25, 2020 11:51 am

I always use my desktop, but this was never a problem in the past and I've been using this email address for at least 15 years.

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Mon May 25, 2020 12:07 pm

It's an annoying part of their security. I still use my ancient Yahoo mail account for my "garbage mail" but gmail for regular email. Gmail is so much better.

yohac

Post by yohac » Mon May 25, 2020 12:16 pm

A change in security software (firewall, antivirus, anti-spyware) could be a suspect.

If you're using Windows 10, consider using its default Mail app, rather than the ad-riddled mail.yahoo.com
Last edited by yohac on Mon May 25, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

illumination

Post by illumination » Mon May 25, 2020 12:40 pm

I was a hold out for way too long with Yahoo Mail, I started having issues and finally went to Gmail. I should have done it like 10 years ago. It's not nearly as hard to change long held emails as you think and you can have the Yahoo ones forwarded to your Gmail so you can have a longer transition if you need to.

I get the impression Yahoo doesn't make money with their free email, or it's not monetized to their liking. My guess is they will make it crappy for users unless you pay for their "pro" version. Yahoo's entire operation is something of a joke now (but I will say they have a good stock app to follow various securities).

BooBearBoy

Post by BooBearBoy » Mon May 25, 2020 1:35 pm

The same thing is happening to me.

Topic Author
TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome » Mon May 25, 2020 5:40 pm

hicabob wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:07 pm
It's an annoying part of their security. I still use my ancient Yahoo mail account for my "garbage mail" but gmail for regular email. Gmail is so much better.
The log in contains the option to "stay logged in for 2 weeks." It just isn't working as it always did in the past. This problem has never occurred before.

Topic Author
TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome » Mon May 25, 2020 5:43 pm

yohac wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:16 pm
A change in security software (firewall, antivirus, anti-spyware) could be a suspect.

If you're using Windows 10, consider using its default Mail app, rather than the ad-riddled mail.yahoo.com
I haven't changed the Norton package on my desktop, but perhaps Norton performed a passive update that caused the problem?

I'm on Windows 10, but I'm "invested" in this email account. Have used it for many years. It's my username in multiple places. Everyone and every institution contacts me there.

I don't see any ads on this email account, or almost anywhere else. Perhaps due to Privacy Badger and/or uBlock, but I've used both of those services for a long time with no email difficulty before.

Topic Author
TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome » Mon May 25, 2020 5:46 pm

illumination wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:40 pm
I was a hold out for way too long with Yahoo Mail, I started having issues and finally went to Gmail. I should have done it like 10 years ago. It's not nearly as hard to change long held emails as you think and you can have the Yahoo ones forwarded to your Gmail so you can have a longer transition if you need to.

I get the impression Yahoo doesn't make money with their free email, or it's not monetized to their liking. My guess is they will make it crappy for users unless you pay for their "pro" version. Yahoo's entire operation is something of a joke now (but I will say they have a good stock app to follow various securities).
I opened a Gmail account a while ago but never used it after reading about privacy concerns there. Perhaps Yahoo is the same, but I already had Yahoo, and my impression is that Google is especially intrusive. I could be incorrect.

Topic Author
TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome » Mon May 25, 2020 5:47 pm

BooBearBoy wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:35 pm
The same thing is happening to me.
That's helpful to know. It must not be something that I did on my desktop then.

After searching for a solution, I found some 9 year old posts from others asking for help with the same problem. Apparently we aren't alone, and we aren't the first.

z91

Post by z91 » Mon May 25, 2020 5:49 pm

What browser? It could be a browser issue as well. I'd try a few to see if that could be the problem, if it is, at least you can home down further on what the issue is. If not, then you'll have to hope Yahoo fixes it one day.

illumination

Post by illumination » Mon May 25, 2020 6:00 pm

TheNightsToCome wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:46 pm
illumination wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:40 pm

I opened a Gmail account a while ago but never used it after reading about privacy concerns there. Perhaps Yahoo is the same, but I already had Yahoo, and my impression is that Google is especially intrusive. I could be incorrect.

I think the train left the station on that concern a long time ago. I also use Google Chrome so they have all that data and my understanding is Google pays Apple to default to Google search, so they also get that when I use my iPhone.

I'm sure Yahoo sells your data to the highest bidder.

I'm not making light of this, but I think this is more of a public policy issue as I don't really know how a consumer can not have their privacy exploited.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Mon May 25, 2020 6:01 pm

TheNightsToCome wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:57 pm
I hope that the tech-savvy bogleheads can help with a solution to an annoying problem.

I log in to my Yahoo email account and check "stay logged in for 2 weeks." In the past, this worked fine. Recently, Yahoo logs me out repeatedly and automatically each day.

I've already looked for a solution with an internet search. A poster on Quora who is reportedly an ex-Yahoo tech worker suggested clearing cookies and cache, changing password, and logging back in. That didn't work.

Any suggestions?
The opposite has happened for me. It hasn’t worked for me in years and I would always need to enter my info but, as of the past couple of days, it has been keeping me logged in.

Topic Author
TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome » Mon May 25, 2020 7:14 pm

z91 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:49 pm
What browser? It could be a browser issue as well. I'd try a few to see if that could be the problem, if it is, at least you can home down further on what the issue is. If not, then you'll have to hope Yahoo fixes it one day.
I tried Chrome and Explorer, same result.

RomeoMustDie

Post by RomeoMustDie » Mon May 25, 2020 7:16 pm

You can log your non google email addresses into google and use their interface. Works pretty well for my microsoft emails.

Topic Author
TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome » Mon May 25, 2020 7:16 pm

Ron Ronnerson wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:01 pm
TheNightsToCome wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:57 pm

Any suggestions?
The opposite has happened for me. It hasn’t worked for me in years and I would always need to enter my info but, as of the past couple of days, it has been keeping me logged in.
Amazing. :oops:

BooBearBoy

Post by BooBearBoy » Mon May 25, 2020 7:44 pm

I'm in the process of changing to my gmail address on all my accounts. Do you have AT&T? My email was switching back and forth from AT&T to Yahoo log in several times a day, before the constant log in prompt started. Sorry, I'm not very tech savvy. Also, my AT&T email hasn't updated on my phone since March 29th. I plan on going with another internet and phone provider when SIP ends.

Topic Author
TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome » Mon May 25, 2020 7:46 pm

BooBearBoy wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:44 pm
I'm in the process of changing to my gmail address on all my accounts. Do you have AT&T? My email was switching back and forth from AT&T to Yahoo log in several times a day, before the constant log in prompt started. Sorry, I'm not very tech savvy. Also, my AT&T email hasn't updated on my phone since March 29th. I plan on going with another internet and phone provider when SIP ends.
No, I don't have AT&T.