Coursera Google IT Support Professional Certificate

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
delamer

Coursera Google IT Support Professional Certificate

Post by delamer » Sun May 24, 2020 8:20 am

Anyone have any insights into the value of the Coursera Google IT Support Professional Certificate for someone trying to break into the field?

Here’s a link to the program: https://www.coursera.org/professional-c ... howItWorks

Do companies hire entry-level staff who have this credential as their main formal IT training?

hudson

Re: Coursera Google IT Support Professional Certificate

Post by hudson » Sun May 24, 2020 10:47 am

delamer,
I know nothing about Coursera.
When I was trying to break into the IT field, I got my A+ certification. The instructor said, that that certification would get you a job.
That was 20 years ago. It took me a little longer to get the job than I thought...but my new employer was looking for that specific certification.
I would say that a good certification would get you an interview.
Instructors in IT at community colleges are good sources of information on worthwhile certifications.

SimonJester

Re: Coursera Google IT Support Professional Certificate

Post by SimonJester » Sun May 24, 2020 3:44 pm

I would look into cloud certifications from the various cloud providers; Amazon AWS, Google, Azure etc. There is a big push right now to outsource all IT functions the the big cloud providers.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin