If Jeep has such poor reliability, how come they are everywhere?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CULater

If Jeep has such poor reliability, how come they are everywhere?

Post by CULater » Sun May 24, 2020 8:05 am

It seems that Jeep vehicles are nearly legendary for their poor reliability ratings, and yet I see them everywhere like dandelions. Why are they so popular when they have such a poor reputation? I'm wondering if I should consider buying one. The Grand Cherokee would be my choice. What do Bogleheads think?
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

9-5 Suited

Re: If Jeep has such poor reliability, how come they are everywhere?

Post by 9-5 Suited » Sun May 24, 2020 8:10 am

Reliability is valued very highly among the population of Bogleheads. In the general population I am sure other factors, like how cool a car looks or how it handles unusual road conditions, are higher in the decision matrix. There is nothing wrong with you prioritizing things other than reliability if you like Jeeps! Just set your maintenance budget accordingly.

tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla » Sun May 24, 2020 8:10 am

I would look at the Toyota 4Runner.
Last edited by tvubpwcisla on Sun May 24, 2020 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stay invested my friends.

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Sun May 24, 2020 8:11 am

People love the Jeep persona, and the rugged, independent image it conjures up.

Just imagine how many you would see if they were any good.

Chrysler should be ashamed of themselves for letting Explorers and Highlander’s dominate this market.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun May 24, 2020 8:11 am

CULater wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:05 am
It seems that Jeep vehicles are nearly legendary for their poor reliability ratings, and yet I see them everywhere like dandelions. Why are they so popular when they have such a poor reputation? I'm wondering if I should consider buying one. The Grand Cherokee would be my choice. What do Bogleheads think?
Quite a few senior retirees in my area and that I know have the new 2 and 4 door Jeep Rubicons. Some, take them out occasionally on forest roads that a Toyota Corolla would do fine on.
It seems to have taken on status similar to having a Porche 911, etc.
Maybe great marketing?
Selling an "image" or "lifestyle"?
Matching cowboy boots, denim jacket, cowboy hat? (kidding)

Good question. Answers?
j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun May 24, 2020 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sun May 24, 2020 8:11 am

This website gives you some sense of the complaints about the Grand Cherokee:

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Jeep/Grand_Cherokee/

It seems to be doing better.
Best Wishes, | Joe

Normchad

Post by Normchad » Sun May 24, 2020 8:13 am

For anybody considering the wrangler type Jeep, consider this. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3240 ... ler-video/

This should be impossible in this day and age. High school kids love these things, but I’d never let an inexperienced driver have one......

gator15

Post by gator15 » Sun May 24, 2020 8:16 am

I’ve owned three jeeps over the last 13 years and I currently own two, a Wrangler and a Grand Cherokee. The GC is a 2015 and I’ve never had any problems with it. In fact, I’ve never had any problems with any of my jeeps. I bought it because I felt like it I got the most bang for my buck with that vehicle. Plus, it’s spacious enough to fulfill all my needs. I take it camping. I can throw my mtn bike in the back. It tows with ease and I’ve taken it across country multiple times. If I were in the market for another SUV right I would likely go with a GC again or a Lexus GX 460. I would likely choose a GC again because of what I get for my money.

B4Xt3r

Post by B4Xt3r » Sun May 24, 2020 8:21 am

"It's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" about sums it up. I'll disclose that I've owned a wrangler for over a decade but, and an important but, I actually offroad it in conditions that very few other vehicles would suffice -- it's an addiction hobby where it's about smiles/gallon instead of miles/gallon.

B4Xt3r

Post by B4Xt3r » Sun May 24, 2020 8:24 am

Normchad wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:13 am
For anybody considering the wrangler type Jeep, consider this. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3240 ... ler-video/

This should be impossible in this day and age. High school kids love these things, but I’d never let an inexperienced driver have one......
Jeep's often have stickers on them with upside down letters, "If you can read this roll me over" :sharebeer

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Sun May 24, 2020 8:24 am

CULater wrote:
Jeeps have suffered an unusual amount of problems but the Grand Cherokee is the most likely Jeep in the lineup to have problems.
Here is an overview article on the newer GK jeep.
https://www.jdpower.com/cars/expert-rev ... kee-review

Disclaimer - I have owned a number of jeeps and generally like them for what they are.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sun May 24, 2020 8:36 am

I would also add that many of their smaller vehicles are pretty affordable. Looking at ads recently, you can get into a small Jeep SUV for around $15,000. I would suspect, that regardless of reliability issues or not, people are jumping at that price for a small SUV.

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Sun May 24, 2020 8:56 am

CULater wrote:
The same reason people have expensive AUM money managers, to feel cool...

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun May 24, 2020 9:04 am

Had a loaded up Jeep Liberty for 7 years/75K miles..... drive it to work and park it in the sun and let it cook. Water pump replaced year 7. Fun ride and at $22K brand new it was cheap to keep. Original tires went 52K miles and were still legal tread depth.

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Sun May 24, 2020 9:08 am

tvubpwcisla wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:10 am
I would look at the Toyota 4Runner.
This!
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

ruhigste

Post by ruhigste » Sun May 24, 2020 10:04 am

CULater wrote:
We have one because we can flat-tow it behind an RV.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:15 am

there is a weird subculture around having one....

hudson

Post by hudson » Sun May 24, 2020 10:17 am

CULater wrote:
The Grand Cherokee would be a good choice. I don't see how you can go wrong.
Sure it matches up with the 4Runner....the 4Runner's on a truck frame; the G.Cherokee is on more of a car frame.
Jeeps have magic. I've been riding in Jeeps since 1947. After WW2, there were no new cars available. My Dad bought a brand new Willy's Jeep...which he used for transportation until he could get one of those black Plymouth sedans.
https://www.autotrader.com/car-reviews/ ... 4979978700

If I had to choose between the GC and the 4Runner, I'd choose the 4Runner because of the truck frame and the reliability. One of the old guys that I each lunch with occasionally would vote for the GC.
For me, the choice of the GCherokee or the 4Runner doesn't have anything to do with popularity; both have great UTILITY!

Bottom Line: The Grand Cherokee is a fine machine!
Last edited by hudson on Sun May 24, 2020 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Sun May 24, 2020 10:26 am

The Grand Cherokee doesn't even seem to be cool anymore.

It's the Wranglers and Rubicons you see around here. It's definitely an image play. I don't think they're as great for ice and snow highway driving as Subarus.

But the same could be said for the huuuge 4x4 trucks too, with all that weight in front and poor traction. But they've replaced Cadillac and Lincoln as status symbols. I saw some poor old boy trying to back one out of a cramped space in a hospital parking garage..took him several back-and-forths to get out.

What price glory eh.

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Sun May 24, 2020 10:34 am

The Grand Cherokee and Compass are a "Land Rover Lite" for middle class Americans who blow all their money on stuff to try and project the image that they're a couple rungs higher on the class ladder.

"It's a Jeep thing" is just a Dunning-Krugerism that marketers came up with and preys on humans' tendency towards tribalism. Jeep owners get to feel like they're in on a little secret, part of a smarter and more adventurous subset of vehicle owners. Clearly the lesser reliability is worth being part of such a special club! And being in the shop 3-4x more often than a Honda or Toyota (that's not a made up statistic), well you can afford it - you're not poor, are you?

That's literally it. Peacocking and victims of marketing.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sun May 24, 2020 10:35 am

Honestly, all vehicles are marketed as a way for people to make statements about themselves. Just some are more pronounced. Jeep is one of them, but more so the traditional jeeps and Rubicons.

I wouldn’t buy a Cherokee because of reliability, but I tend to drive vehicles for 15+ years, particularly if I buy new. That makes reliability more of a priority.

JT

New Providence

Post by New Providence » Sun May 24, 2020 10:41 am

CULater wrote:
You could ask same about pretty much any American and British car. It is a matter of taste and for some reliability is second to cool factor. I only buy japanese.

Wricha

Post by Wricha » Sun May 24, 2020 12:23 pm

I have had 5 Jeep 4 door wranglers in the past 10 years. I used it 3-6 months in Fl during the winter. I trade it every other year with between 7,500 -15,000 miles and get a new Jeep for $5k or $2,500/year. I can’t say they are reliable as I get new one but they do hold their value. No new tires sometimes not even an oil change.

Topic Author
CULater

Post by CULater » Sun May 24, 2020 1:18 pm

So there's a Jeep cult like there is a Subaru cult?
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sun May 24, 2020 1:21 pm

Because people who really only drive to the mall or school saw ads that suggested they'd be so much more macho, cool, or whatever if they drove a Jeep. And so they put up with crappy reliability and mileage and (by the standards of any other car designed for on-road use) horrid ride and handling.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Sun May 24, 2020 1:26 pm

anon_investor wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:56 am
CULater wrote:
Here I am thinking people paying for a new RAV4 are the ones who pay premium for what can be obtained much cheaper elsewhere.

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Sun May 24, 2020 1:52 pm

H-Town wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:26 pm
anon_investor wrote:
CULater wrote:
Here I am thinking people paying for a new RAV4 are the ones who pay premium for what can be obtained much cheaper elsewhere.
Who buys new cars? :twisted:

bogledogle

Post by bogledogle » Sun May 24, 2020 1:56 pm

CULater wrote:
Jeeps wranglers are awesome for what they can do. If you don't know why people love jeeps, you should search for "TrailRecon" channel or "Overlanding" on youtube and enjoy binging the free content. That said, I would not buy a Jeep unless you are going o put it to good use off-road. Also, there is no reason to buy a Grand Cherokee unless you are a Jeep Fanboy or for how cheap they can be when discounted.

A 4Runner will do most of what a Wrangler can do and is better than a Cherokee by light years in reliability and comfort.

bogledogle

Post by bogledogle » Sun May 24, 2020 1:58 pm

CULater wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:18 pm
Just like how bogleheads and good financial decisions are a cult :annoyed

Countingthedays

Post by Countingthedays » Sun May 24, 2020 2:00 pm

I bought a new four door Wrangler back in 2015. My only regret is that I didn’t buy one years ago (I’m 53 now). Why? They’re fun and simple — yes, avg mpg is only around 15 and I sure wouldn’t want one if I had a long daily commute or for a long road trip. That said, it’s great in the northeast winters, it’s a four door convertible in the summer, doesn’t need to be babied and holds its value extremely well. If Toyota made a four door, four wheel drive convertible I’d buy it in a heartbeat, but since Jeep has no competition, I’m happy with the Wrangler — no regrets!

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Sun May 24, 2020 2:03 pm

anon_investor wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:52 pm
H-Town wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 1:26 pm
anon_investor wrote:
CULater wrote:
Who buys new cars? :twisted:
Apparently neither of us do. :mrgreen:

Countingthedays

Post by Countingthedays » Sun May 24, 2020 2:34 pm

If Toyota (or anyone else for that matter) made a simple four door, four wheel drive convertible (ala the old FJ Landcruiser) I’d buy one in a second. Reality is that the Wrangler has no direct competition configuration-wise so it’s Jeep for me. I wouldn’t want it for a long commute or road trip, but for my day to day purposes I love it.

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Sun May 24, 2020 2:36 pm

We have a 2019 Jeep Cherokee (Limited) , bought new in August of 2018 , and we have a 2016 Audi Q5 3T , we like them both and they've been reliable , we've been driving the Jeep down to SC in March for the past couple of years from CT and like the firmer seats in the Jeep better than the Audi's cushy ride for longer periods on the road - typically 8-10 hours per day.

We feel that the price point for the Jeep was pretty good and a lot is included in the Limited edition - would buy them both again and the OP is correct , we also see a lot of them on the road .
Last edited by ubermax on Sun May 24, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun May 24, 2020 2:58 pm

CULater wrote:
There's no cult.

(3 Subarus and a Wrangler 4 door in my garage)

All Jeeps are capable of going off road. No, not just on some silly dirt road, real off road. The Wrangler is the best equipped and known for this and of course, the Rubicon comes with an electronic front sway bar disconnect for more front end articulation over boulders and such and had lockable rear or front and rear differentials, so you have 4 wheels pulling you instead of many all wheel drive vehicles who end up with 2 wheels spinning and 2 wheels doing nothing.

I do offroad my Wrangler. I only go with the Jeep club and it's fun, challenging and we do get ourselves in situations where we get stuck. I've got a winch on the front, rock rails on the sides, skid plates under the oil pan, transmission and gas tank, a flipped steering stabilizer and a couple inches of lift and bigger offroad tires. I don't have a Rubicon, just a limited slip rear differential, which helps a little. This is a sport just like autocross or driving on the track is a sport. (I've done those as well). Most repairs on these are well known, fairly simple and inexpensive. I've watched others replace an axle on the trail and rebuild a broken differential. There is a common practice between Wrangler owners. When we approach another coming towards us on the street, we wave at each other. That's called the Jeep Wave. It's really just with Wranglers.

Why do non-offroaders buy one? For a 4x4 Sport, they're cheap to buy. You can take the panels above the driver and passenger off with the hard top, or the entire top. There's a factory soft top available as well. So you've got a convertible that can take you where no Corolla will every go (or Explorer or Rogue or Outback). With the full frame, they can snow plow (I plow my driveway with mine).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sun May 24, 2020 3:32 pm

I have a colleague who bought her Grand Cherokee after lease and has bragged about how the purchased lifetime warranty has paid for itself.

"I'm just a Jeep girl..." She has owned many..

My mother received an inheritance has next to no living expenses + a pension, and after driving Chevrolet Cavaliers, Cobalts, and Cruze's for the past 20-30 years she paid cash for a Jeep Cherokee. The Grand Cherokee was her dream, but she felt like it was too much money. She drives around 1000 miles a year. This car has had more recalls than I ever thought possible. I feel like for some, their families perpetuate it. "Jeep Family." It's hard to shake that influence. In certain regions, it's about being connected to the Big 3 and supporting the local economy.

Growing up near Detroit, if you live in certain cities you'll pretty much only have a Chrysler in your driveway for fear of social isolation!

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Sun May 24, 2020 3:41 pm

Wranglers are cool looking and fun to drive. That is the attraction. If you are the practical type like most of us here you see through that and see an unsafe piece of junk that gets poor gas mileage

One of my employees wanted to buy one. I reflexively tried to talk her out of it. My first argument- they break down constantly, and they roll like dice. Why don’t you get a used Honda? Some people don’t want to live the lifestyle of us grade A squares.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Sun May 24, 2020 3:49 pm

Is the reliability bad in absolute terms, or only in relation to others? Similar to how an ER of 0.05% looks compared to 0.01%, 5x worse, but $40/year.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sun May 24, 2020 3:49 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:58 pm
CULater wrote:
There's no cult.

(3 Subarus and a Wrangler 4 door in my garage)

All Jeeps are capable of going off road. No, not just on some silly dirt road, real off road.
Even the Jeep Compass, which comes standard with FWD and less ground clearance than a Subaru Crosstrek?

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun May 24, 2020 3:59 pm

CULater wrote:
It seems that Jeep vehicles are nearly legendary for their poor reliability ratings, and yet I see them everywhere like dandelions. Why are they so popular when they have such a poor reputation?
It’s funny... just this morning on my daily walk I came across a house that had three Land Rovers parked in the three car garage, and it made me ask myself the same question...

I think many people either don’t know about reliability stats or just don’t care (== have other priorities).

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Sun May 24, 2020 4:08 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:59 pm
CULater wrote:
It seems that Jeep vehicles are nearly legendary for their poor reliability ratings, and yet I see them everywhere like dandelions. Why are they so popular when they have such a poor reputation?
It’s funny... just this morning on my daily walk I came across a house that had three Land Rovers parked in the three car garage, and it made me ask myself the same question...

I think many people either don’t know about reliability stats or just don’t care (== have other priorities).
If you have three Landrovers one of them will probably work. :happy They are seriously nice cars to ride in though.

Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 » Sun May 24, 2020 4:23 pm

I’ve owned both 4runners and jeeps...currently have a CJ7 (predecessor to the wrangler) and a 99 grand Cherokee as my daily....having owned well in excess of 30 vehicles I can say the CJs/ wranglers offer a unique driving experience not quite like anything else. Driving with the top and doors off offers a unique experience you can’t quite get with any other vehicle. It seems to appeal to many. Not really a vehicle I would have as a long commuter or plan on putting 300k trouble free miles on but no doubt are pretty refined these days. My 2017 wrangler was light years ahead of my CJ...crazy how they turned the public loose with those way back when. Although times were different regarding drivers. Regarding 4runners; aside from 4 wheel drive they have little in common with wranglers but if we are comparing to a Cherokee then I’d totally get a 4Runner without question. The newer cherokees seem to be ok but reliability wise but I like the “ruggedness” and reliability reputation of the 4Runner. Same platform for many many years. As a side note I had the dumb luck of buying a brand new 2011 grand Cherokee (just look at carcomplaints :( )
Last edited by Carguy85 on Sun May 24, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Sun May 24, 2020 4:35 pm

CULater wrote:
This is nothing unusual, just look at Ford! Whatever trips your trigger, go fo it.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun May 24, 2020 4:54 pm

CULater wrote:
Is there something wrong with Subarus? My impression is that they rank pretty high in the automotive pecking order, perhaps right behind Toyota and Honda.

SR II

Post by SR II » Sun May 24, 2020 5:08 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:15 am
there is a weird subculture around having one....
Like owning a Jaguar!

ychuck46

Post by ychuck46 » Sun May 24, 2020 5:09 pm

Every Jeep owner we have ever known has had constant trouble with their vehicles. Take it out offroading and I guarantee it will be in the shop, just like theirs. We have had a Hummer/H3 that we bought new in 2007 and it still runs great with no major issues to speak of, knock on wood. And see if a Jeep can keep up with it offroading. I also guarantee the Jeep will roll over where the H3 will not. Save your money and aggravation and let the Millennials and others trying to make some sort of impression buying the Jeeps (although the only impression they make on at least half the population is likely that they cannot read Consumer Reports or the Blue Book or other pubs that would advise them to walk away from that product.

ychuck46

Post by ychuck46 » Sun May 24, 2020 5:11 pm

tetractys wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:35 pm
CULater wrote:
This is nothing unusual, just look at Ford! Whatever trips your trigger, go fo it.
I'm over 110K miles on my F-150 and it has only ever needed routine maintenance and a new set of tires. BTW, first time I ever bought Michelin tires in my long life, and I am sold on them. Incredible handling and durability compared to Goodyear, for example.

notinuse

Post by notinuse » Sun May 24, 2020 5:11 pm

Everybody doesn't like the same thing, or have the same priorities.

WS1

Post by WS1 » Sun May 24, 2020 5:20 pm

Because reliability is kind of a silly thing to measure. Nobody really remembers stuff failing sooner than it would on a Toyota.They remember catastrophic failures that leave them stranded and comically expensive repairs (like some German brands). My VW never left me stranded and I could always get a ride, borrow a car, or take a taxi when it was in the shop..so I’ve just kind of forgotten the annoyance as the years have faded.

Jeep related - I don’t see the appeal of any model but the wranglers but I have emotionally charged childhood and teenage memories of Seeing surfers roll up to the beach in a wrangler - no shirts, no shoes, no top, no doors and thinking that was the coolest thing ever.
I had a friend in high school with a CJ-7 and driving around the top and doors off was borderline magical. YOU CAN”T BUY ADVERTISING LIKE THAT

bi0hazard

Post by bi0hazard » Sun May 24, 2020 5:34 pm

In my area, majority of wrangler drivers appear to be teenage girls and “cool middle-age dads”. Not really something I’d get into, but I’m sure poor reliability, lack of interior space and relatively high price are ok if used for off-roading .

ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA » Sun May 24, 2020 5:37 pm

Given how upset you were with your Honda CRV’s oil dilution issue, why would you ever consider a Grand Cherokee? :oops: Get a Toyota, not a Jeep.