What phone to buy after iPhone 7 Plus

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
manatee2005

What phone to buy after iPhone 7 Plus

Post by manatee2005 »

My iPhone 7 Plus is not able to take calls and camera sometimes won’t take pictures.

I’m ready to upgrade but I HATE the notch on newer phones.

Seems like the only thing to do is to get an iPhone 8 Plus from eBay for about $400-440.

Has anyone been able to hide the notch on newer phones?
I’m stuck with iPhones because of the iMessage.
02nz

Re: What phone to buy after iPhone 7 Plus

Post by 02nz »

Most people (including me) find that you stop noticing the notch after a short time. The display is taller, so most videos and photos show without the notch visible. Supposedly the iPhone 12 series coming this fall will have smaller notches, but until Apple figures out a way to put the forward-facing camera and face ID sensors (or touch ID) below the display, the notch will stay in some form.

The best value in the lineup right now is probably the regular iPhone 11 ($700).
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Maybe an SE?

But I think you would get used to the notch. I did when I got an X. No way I would get an 8 when I could get an 11 for not that much more
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

iPhone SE has no notch but I don't think there is a plus size. It is the same size as the iPhone 7 and 8.
Wiki
Dougroseville

Post by Dougroseville »

manatee2005 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:10 pm My iPhone 7 Plus is not able to take calls and camera sometimes won’t take pictures.

Seems like the only thing to do is to get an iPhone 8 Plus from eBay for about $400-440.
How much effort have you exerted attempting to determine the cause our your problems (been to the Apple Store? Reset the phone? ...)

I have an iPhone 8 Plus my wife recently got the new iPhone SE.. If you don't mind a smaller phone (and battery) than your 7 Plus, the new SE is a decent phone with a good camera and powerful processor. If you can keep your 7 alive for 14 months there will probably be a SE Plus (rumored: https://www.tomsguide.com/news/iphone-se-plus). This is what I hope will work out for me.. I don't need a flagship phone but want a decent camera and long support life.

Good luck!
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Why are you so bothered by the notch?
Momus

Post by Momus »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133357313240
$300-400 Oneplus 7 Pro. Thank me later. You won't see anyone switching missing their iPhone. Look up some reviews, they are many Apple fanbois in the past switching and never look back.

100% value for the money. Beautiful phone. No notch, 30 watts warp charge, 90hz screen smooth smooth smooth, 8-12GB RAM, 256GB storage, 1440p oled display, 4000 mah battery, 6.7 inch, Android 10, in screen fingerprint scanner, dual front facing stereo speaker. Great camera all around (I didn't say the best).

Make sure you turn of iMessage so you don't miss any text after switching to android. This point is easily missed by ex-iPhone user.
anoop

Post by anoop »

If you're OK with staying with the 7 Plus, Apple is selling some on their clearance site:
https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/clearance
They tend to go fast.

There have been rumors of an SE plus but who knows if it will materialize.
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/04/21/ip ... oned-2h21/

(I don't trust sellers on eBay for anything expensive. Doesn't mean that they are all bad, but I wouldn't risk it.)
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Dougroseville wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:41 pm
manatee2005 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:10 pm My iPhone 7 Plus is not able to take calls and camera sometimes won’t take pictures.

How much effort have you exerted attempting to determine the cause our your problems (been to the Apple Store? Reset the phone? ...)

I have an iPhone 8 Plus my wife recently got the new iPhone SE.. If you don't mind a smaller phone (and battery) than your 7 Plus, the new SE is a decent phone with a good camera and powerful processor. If you can keep your 7 alive for 14 months there will probably be a SE Plus (rumored: https://www.tomsguide.com/news/iphone-se-plus). This is what I hope will work out for me.. I don't need a flagship phone but want a decent camera and long support life.

Good luck!
The Apple stores have been closed in my area for 2 months. I’ve reset the phone but I think it’s a hardware issue and I think the repair will not be worth it on a 4 year old phone.
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:42 pm Why are you so bothered by the notch?
Probably OCD. It’s something that sticks out on the screen, not a clear line.
anoop

Post by anoop »

manatee2005 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:15 am
Dougroseville wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:41 pm

Good luck!
The Apple stores have been closed in my area for 2 months. I’ve reset the phone but I think it’s a hardware issue and I think the repair will not be worth it on a 4 year old phone.
Definitely worth checking with Apple. In many case they might just exchange the unit for a refurbished one for a fraction of the cost to buy a new one. 2 years ago I had a problem with my SE. I took it into the store and they were going to replace the display for $79. Since I was doing that I also asked for the battery to be replaced for $39 IIRC. When I went to pick it up they said they broke while servicing it, so they just gave me a refurbished unit and charged me $79 for it.

Go to the Apple support site and see what they say. You would have to start there even if you were intending to get service at a store.
Momus

Post by Momus »

anoop wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:40 pm If you're OK with staying with the 7 Plus, Apple is selling some on their clearance site:
https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/clearance
They tend to go fast.

There have been rumors of an SE plus but who knows if it will materialize.
https://www.macrumors.com/2020/04/21/ip ... oned-2h21/

(I don't trust sellers on eBay for anything expensive. Doesn't mean that they are all bad, but I wouldn't risk it.)
People are really recommending a 4 yr old phone when op doesn't want one with notch? At a premium price at that... :oops:

I'd not buy any phone with a big notch or a bottom/top bezel in 2020. They look so ugly.
Last edited by Momus on Sun May 24, 2020 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

The notch is just not a big deal. It is a psychological block you can easily overcome. Once start using it you won't realize its there. You don't look at that part of the phone except to check the battery.
wander

Post by wander »

Momus wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:11 pm https://www.ebay.com/itm/133357313240
$300-400 Oneplus 7 Pro. Thank me later. You won't see anyone switching missing their iPhone. Look up some reviews, they are many Apple fanbois in the past switching and never look back.

100% value for the money. Beautiful phone. No notch, 30 watts warp charge, 90hz screen smooth smooth smooth, 8-12GB RAM, 256GB storage, 1440p oled display, 4000 mah battery, 6.7 inch, Android 10, in screen fingerprint scanner, dual front facing stereo speaker. Great camera all around (I didn't say the best).

Make sure you turn of iMessage so you don't miss any text after switching to android. This point is easily missed by ex-iPhone user.
Op can't be separated from Iphone since imessage is a must-have feature. Why are you suggesting Oneplus 7 Pro? Does it have imessage?
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I always buy iPhones for their great cameras. I'd buy the one with the best camera available, but I'd wait for the next refresh if you can.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

My 8 started not taking pictures as well. Work gave me a Xr. I cannot get over the notch. I hate it with a passion. :annoyed I hate it. :shock: I hate it. I will not upgrade to a phone with a notch. Not with my own money. Also, once the 8 was software reset and given to my wife. The camera started working again. So, look into the software reset. All you and I can do is hope that the 12 comes out without a notch or maybe changes it to a punch out. I'm okay with Samsung's punch out hole. Also with Covid-19, face unlock is just a pain. I miss my thumbprint. If I were you and on T-Mobile, I'd trade in the 7 now for an SE for no money and 24 months contract. There's a memorial day sale going on now. No notch. Yes, it's a little smaller but it has the latest SoC and hopefully lasts you until this notch business is over with.
mr_mac3

Post by mr_mac3 »

I had to replace my iPhone 6 Plus recently. I just bought a refurbished 8 plus (128 GB) for $370 on Amazon. No signs of use. Works fine. If I was more patient I could probably have got it for $350-360. You can set a price alert on camelcamelcamel.
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

mr_mac3 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:12 pm I had to replace my iPhone 6 Plus recently. I just bought a refurbished 8 plus (128 GB) for $370 on Amazon. No signs of use. Works fine. If I was more patient I could probably have got it for $350-360. You can set a price alert on camelcamelcamel.
I somehow managed to still be able to make calls through my apple watch. I think that will be enough to wait to see what iPhone 12 looks like and then maybe iPhone 8 plus will be even cheaper. I really hate the notch!
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

I would call Apple Care or Apple Support ASAP.
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

CyclingDuo wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:18 pm

It looks like they just opened up Apple stores in my area, have an appt for Saturday.
tsupersonic

Post by tsupersonic »

If you don't get it fixed, get the new iPhone SE (2nd generation). It's not a plus, but it has the latest specs, and great battery life.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

After 10 minutes the notch is notch notchiceable. It is notching to worry about. :D
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Woot (Amazon subsidiary) has the XS Max, new and unlocked, for $700:

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/app ... x-unlocked

Good deal on the biggest-screen OLED iPhone, at same price as the 11, which has a smaller LCD display but one generation newer processor and camera.
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

manatee2005 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:50 am

It looks like they just opened up Apple stores in my area, have an appt for Saturday.
They closed the Apple store cos of the riots. Now it shows no available appointments.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

manatee2005 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:47 am

They closed the Apple store cos of the riots. Now it shows no available appointments.
Bummer. You could still call Apple Care/Apple Support as they are doing appointments over the phone. I would imagine the store closure due to riots won't last too much longer.
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Why not just get the new SE? No notch and it's a lower price point/good value.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

BW1985 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:29 am Why not just get the new SE? No notch and it's a lower price point/good value.
Too small. I have iPhone 7 Plus, love the big screen. I would buy SE Plus in a heartbeat if they had one.
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

CyclingDuo wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:41 am
manatee2005 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:47 am

Bummer. You could still call Apple Care/Apple Support as they are doing appointments over the phone. I would imagine the store closure due to riots won't last too much longer.
That's a good idea. I like going in person but I guess i can do phone support. Stores are closed in the whole country I heard, so who knows how long it will last.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

manatee2005 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:58 pm
BW1985 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:29 am Why not just get the new SE? No notch and it's a lower price point/good value.
Too small. I have iPhone 7 Plus, love the big screen. I would buy SE Plus in a heartbeat if they had one.
I wish they kept the smaller SE and put a bigger display with a notch in it, keeping it lighter and smaller with similar screen size as new SE.
manatee2005 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:10 pmMy iPhone 7 Plus is not able to take calls and camera sometimes won’t take pictures.
Strange, seemingly unrelated problems. Could it be a stuck button or a bad digitizer?

Can you install an app and test out some of the basic hardware?
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/testm-che ... 1242371446

Can you make calls? What else is wrong? How much available free storage space? (General -> Usage -> Manage Storage)

As far as the notch, there's an app for that, but very limited.

Notch Remover App
https://apps.apple.com/au/app/notch-rem ... 1277467873

Here's a review:
Removing The Notch From iPhone X
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VNjuoiAEd0

Given the choices and tradeoffs, if you needed something immediately, I'd go with the iPhone 11 recommendation and just try to "get over the notch".
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Call Apple support. If they can’t help, get an 11 or 11 Pro Max. You keep your phones for 4 years, id say it’s okay to splurge. If Apple Support helps if ride it out till September when new phones will come out.

Alternatively, if you don’t need newest and greatest check out the Apple Refurbished store on their site. You can get an XS Max or Xr for relatively cheap now. Under the clearance section you can even get an exact replacement of your phone if you want. (At least you could yesterday.)

Get over the notch, it’s here to stay! :beer
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

inbox788 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:29 pm
manatee2005 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:58 pm
I wish they kept the smaller SE and put a bigger display with a notch in it, keeping it lighter and smaller with similar screen size as new SE.
manatee2005 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 9:10 pmMy iPhone 7 Plus is not able to take calls and camera sometimes won’t take pictures.
Strange, seemingly unrelated problems. Could it be a stuck button or a bad digitizer?

Can you install an app and test out some of the basic hardware?
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/testm-che ... 1242371446

Can you make calls? What else is wrong? How much available free storage space? (General -> Usage -> Manage Storage)

As far as the notch, there's an app for that, but very limited.

Notch Remover App
https://apps.apple.com/au/app/notch-rem ... 1277467873

Here's a review:
Removing The Notch From iPhone X
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VNjuoiAEd0

Given the choices and tradeoffs, if you needed something immediately, I'd go with the iPhone 11 recommendation and just try to "get over the notch".
Thanks for the app recommendation, I tried it and earpiece and microphone tests failed.

Here are the symptoms I see
1. When I try to make a call, I can’t select the speaker button, it’s gray
2. If somebody calls me, same thing, and I can’t hear anyone and nobody can hear me
3. When I take a video, and replay it in camera all, the volume on is grayed our
4. When I start Siri, it launches it, shows the text what can I help you with but it never lets me record speach.

The interesting thing is when I reboot the phone it works for like an hour or so, and then stops working.

I have about 15gb free out of 256gb.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

inbox788 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:29 pm I wish they kept the smaller SE and put a bigger display with a notch in it, keeping it lighter and smaller with similar screen size as new SE.
You're likely to get your wish this fall. The rumors (pretty reliable as they're based on information from the supply chain) say the smallest/cheapest iPhone 12 will be 5.5 inches and $650 instead of the iPhone 11 Pro's 5.8 inches and $1000. It's likely to be about the same size as the new SE, but with a bigger display with a notch.
anoop

Post by anoop »

manatee2005 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:45 pm The interesting thing is when I reboot the phone it works for like an hour or so, and then stops working.

It almost sounds like you might have a misbehaving app that once it takes control of the device, doesn't want to give it up. I've had issues like that on my mac when running, e.g. skype, zoom, webex, etc. at different times. I can sometimes get into a state where one or more of the apps don't work (if I dial into a conference either I have trouble hearing the other part and/or vice versa) and the only way I can fix it is to reboot.

In that hour, what apps are you using? Try shutting all the apps, reboot, and then don't use any apps other than Apple's apps for a while and see if it still works.

15GB is also very low (for a 256GB drive), so you are probably experiencing performance issues because of that. But that's different of course from things not working altogether.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I'm a big iPhone fan, and honestly, I've never an actual user even mention the notch, let along complain about it.

I used to do a lot of research on these things, but now, I just can't be bothered too much. I do highly recommend thewirecutter.com; their claim to fame is they will generally just tell you what to buy.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... martphone/

Updated last month. I didn't read all the words, but it sounds like the iPhone 11 is what you should buy.
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

anoop wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:51 pm
manatee2005 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:45 pm The interesting thing is when I reboot the phone it works for like an hour or so, and then stops working.

It almost sounds like you might have a misbehaving app that once it takes control of the device, doesn't want to give it up. I've had issues like that on my mac when running, e.g. skype, zoom, webex, etc. at different times. I can sometimes get into a state where one or more of the apps don't work (if I dial into a conference either I have trouble hearing the other part and/or vice versa) and the only way I can fix it is to reboot.

In that hour, what apps are you using? Try shutting all the apps, reboot, and then don't use any apps other than Apple's apps for a while and see if it still works.

15GB is also very low (for a 256GB drive), so you are probably experiencing performance issues because of that. But that's different of course from things not working altogether.
I rebooted and tried the TestM app and now earpiece and microphone are working. Also phone and camera audio work. I’ll keep using TestM and checking to see when it stops working.

I was thinking there might be some software bug that fills up the log file or something after a while and it stops working.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I purchased an Apple iPhone 10 last year and have been very happy with it. I may go for an even bigger size next time.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I usually buy a model or so behind the current model to keep costs down. This has worked well over the years.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

I googled the problem and it sounds like early stage of "looping disease", which is a progressive hardware problem that Apple is trying to sweep under the rug on an older phone. Probably easiest path is just to move to newer phone sooner than later.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/478 ... +and+Siri)
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

inbox788 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:24 am I googled the problem and it sounds like early stage of "looping disease", which is a progressive hardware problem that Apple is trying to sweep under the rug on an older phone. Probably easiest path is just to move to newer phone sooner than later.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/478 ... +and+Siri)
That is exactly the issue! It’s criminal that Apple wants $350 for a refurbished iPhone 7 for an issue they caused.

The workaround I’ve been using is talking on the Apple Watch, but that’s obviously not ideal as people can hear my conversations haha.
Thank you for sending me that link, at least I know now that there’s no fix.