Cheap way to ship a few boxes?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
R2D2

Cheap way to ship a few boxes?

Post by R2D2 »

I'm moving and mostly starting from scratch in terms of furniture and personal belongings. I need to ship a few boxes (maybe 3-6) worth of personal items to the new location. (I'll be flying to the new house, not driving.)

When I order things online, the companies seem to pay so little for shipping, but when I look at what it would cost *me* to ship anything, the prices are high. I guess I'm not getting a corporate discount!

Is there any low-cost way to ship stuff? I don't need it to be fast at all. Heck, it can take two weeks if necessary.
hicabob

Re: Cheap way to ship a few boxes?

Post by hicabob »

R2D2 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:15 am I'm moving and mostly starting from scratch in terms of furniture and personal belongings. I need to ship a few boxes (maybe 3-6) worth of personal items to the new location. (I'll be flying to the new house, not driving.)

When I order things online, the companies seem to pay so little for shipping, but when I look at what it would cost *me* to ship anything, the prices are high. I guess I'm not getting a corporate discount!

Is there any low-cost way to ship stuff? I don't need it to be fast at all. Heck, it can take two weeks if necessary.
The discounts large companies get on shipping is incredible, 90% or more - but that requires that they ship a lot. I've found Fed-ex ground is about the cheapest for little guys.
bryansmile

Post by bryansmile »

I assume it's the size of moving boxes, try Greyhound Shipping.
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

If some of those boxes will be mostly books, consolidate all the books into separate boxes and send them media mail via USPS.

Back in the very old days I shipped some things via Greyhound. I'm not sure I'd want anything I want to keep shipped via Greyhound these days, or even if they still do that.
De gustibus non est disputandum
02nz

Post by 02nz »

hicabob wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:25 am I've found Fed-ex ground is about the cheapest for little guys.
My experience is that for heavy items UPS is often cheaper. FedEx definitely costs more if shipping to a residential address (Home Delivery) vs commercial address (Ground). I believe UPS also has a surcharge for residential but it's less.

Looks like PayPal offers UPS discounts: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/shipping-center
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

hicabob wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:25 am
R2D2 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:15 am I'm moving and mostly starting from scratch in terms of furniture and personal belongings. I need to ship a few boxes (maybe 3-6) worth of personal items to the new location. (I'll be flying to the new house, not driving.)

The discounts large companies get on shipping is incredible, 90% or more - but that requires that they ship a lot. I've found Fed-ex ground is about the cheapest for little guys.
You don't mention size, shape or weight. All can have a price.

We haven't comparison shopped in a few years, but our experience was that FedEx GROUND was cheapest to most locations for larger boxes say 60#. Comparison was to UPS and USPS. Sending/delivery locations can matter in pricing.

That said we do most of our shipping now with USPS Priority Mail. Great if you can use a Flat Rate box. You can even order Flat Rate materials online to be delivered to you free. Plus you can use Click & Ship on the USPS website to prepare labels and pay. Then, you can schedule a next day pickup at your location, no trip to the PO is needed. No need to use the Priority Mail boxes either. They take almost anything (non-hazardous or not-live) up to 70#? It's all we do recently to social distance and avoid the trip to the PO.
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

Also, origin and destination. Amtrak can be a good way to move if you are coming and going to places where they have baggage service.
MJS

Post by MJS »

Roadie.com is like Uber for moving freight. Very limited starting locations, but it goes to wherever someone is planning to drive anyways. Timing may be an issue, also the drivers don't do loading & unloading.
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

Some companies share their shipping discount with employees. Ask around with your friends.
Watty

Post by Watty »

If you are shipping books then you can ship them by media mail through the post office for a very low price.

Be sure to read the rules about what what you can ship and the other details since they may inspect the package.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Look at uship.com

While I have not used it, it has been recommended to me in the past. You need to go into the menu and search a bit to see if it is relevant for your move.
Lookingforanswers

Post by Lookingforanswers »

You said you're flying....Occasionally I've found it cheaper and more convenient to get a really, really cheap duffel bag at a discount store, stuff it full of things I want to ship, and take it with me on the plane for an extra $50 in excess baggage cost. When I get to the new place I then have a extra duffel bag I can use for whatever. Whether it's more convenient depends on where you're shipping from and to, hassle in picking up boxes, etc. (Sometimes I have so much to take on the plane, the opposite is true - it's worth the cost to get everything into a box and get rid of it so I don't have extra stuff at the airport).
heikejohn1

Post by heikejohn1 »

I was shocked last week when I sold a wicker basket on ebay. Large box, but only 8 pounds.
USPS wanted over 60.- in shipping!!!! They go by volume. UPS was over 40.-, I went with FedEx ground for 25.-. That was with the ebay discount.
The extra baggage charge looks like a winner to me. But arrange it in advance, make sure it is possible to take an extra 2 or 3 large items.
Or check into air-freight directly with some companies. I have used that to ship some large items from Germany to the US.
LSLover

Post by LSLover »

I have no personal experience with Budget Van Lines but the reviews are generally OK...

https://www.budgetvanlines.com
mgensler

Post by mgensler »

Actually, you would be surprised at how much shipping costs are in the total price you pay for goods. Yes, companies get discounts but it's not what you think it might be.

Depending on the size and weight of the boxes you might get a better rate strapping them to a pallet and shipping via LTL carrier. Otherwise UPS/FedEx or just donate the stuff and buy new on the other end.