2016 Honda Civic Air Conditioning issues

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Jags4186

2016 Honda Civic Air Conditioning issues

Post by Jags4186 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:47 am

Hi there. I have a 2016 Honda Civic that is no longer under warranty. A few months ago I received in the mail a notice saying that due to issues with the AC condenser, Honda was extending the warranty on that part from the typical 3 years/36,000 miles to 10 years/unlimited miles. Low and behold, last week I go to turn on the air conditioning in my car and it's blowing hot air.

I brought my car to the Honda dealership yesterday to have them look at it and said that the condenser is covered for 10 years so if that's it would be a free repair. If they opened it up and found something else, the diagnostic fee is $140 and if I made the repair they would drop the $140. After waiting they came out and said the condenser is fine but the compressor is leaking and that it would cost $1375. I did a quick google search and found that people were having big issues with both the condenser and the compressor but only the condenser was being covered under the extended warranty. I brought this up to the service manager who "went and talked to the factory rep who happened to be there" and low and behold they will do the entire repair for $250 under "goodwill". Interestingly, while I was at the dealership at least 4 other people were there complaining about their air conditioner not working on their car...

I am having the car repaired next week for $250 because, well, I want air conditioning during the summer and it's getting hot out. But I can't help but think that if they were able to cut the bill 80% after the mildest of complaint they will cut the bill 100% for major complaining. Any thoughts on how to proceed? I'm thinking that eventually, Honda will have to cover the compressor as they did the condenser and I would be eligible for a $250 refund so it might be worth waiting it out. I also don't want to be difficult and jeopardize my "deal" of $250 because, after all the car is out of warranty and it's the cheapest AC job I've ever heard of.

tennisplyr

Re: 2016 Honda Civic Air Conditioning issues

Post by tennisplyr » Sat May 23, 2020 9:06 am

My story...have a 2017 Civic Hatchback, a/c compressor and condenser went about a year ago. Luckily it was covered under warranty but the bill would have been ~$1,700. I would get it fixed.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat May 23, 2020 9:11 am

I’d grab the $250 deal but would write a follow-up letter to Honda telling them how disappointed you were, how you had always had so a good experience with Honda vehicles, etc. Maybe they will cover the rest of it.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Sat May 23, 2020 9:13 am

I had a similar issue last year. Luckily or unluckily, I live in a climate where there is not hot weather for much of the year, so I can live with it. My mechanic told me the AC units on Civics are notorious for failing. A Google search echoes that sentiment. Best of luck, I do not remember reading that Honda will acquiesce to fixing it for free, I would consider the $250 a deal, but you can search various forums for more information.

Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster » Sat May 23, 2020 11:30 am

BeneIRA wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:13 am
I had a similar issue last year. Luckily or unluckily, I live in a climate where there is not hot weather for much of the year, so I can live with it. My mechanic told me the AC units on Civics are notorious for failing. A Google search echoes that sentiment. Best of luck, I do not remember reading that Honda will acquiesce to fixing it for free, I would consider the $250 a deal, but you can search various forums for more information.
Had an Acura MDX... so a Honda. AC and compressor went out. Local mechanic did it for $570. You got a deal. Don’t get hung up on it and enjoy the AC. Or wait it out and see if in a few years it also gets covered. I doubt it though.

jhaze84

Post by jhaze84 » Thu May 28, 2020 5:23 pm

I also have a 2016 Honda Civic and the same A/C issue as the original poster. Same letter from Honda extending the AC condenser warranty to 10 years, and same issue with dealer saying the AC compressor is the problem and not covered under warranty.

My dealer wants $2200 for the repair and they are only offering a $250 coupon to bring the cost down.

I declined the repair and am planning to take the car to an independent mechanic for a 2nd opinion next week.

illumination

Post by illumination » Thu May 28, 2020 5:52 pm

I say this as a former Honda owner, just disappointed with Honda reliability over the last few years. They've been having AC issues since forever, I don't know why they can't seem to get that nailed down. It used to be you could get quality cars from Honda, Toyota and Nissan. Now I feel Toyota/Lexus is the last brand that still takes quality seriously, and even there it's not what it once was.

A 2016 Honda needing a new AC compressor is ridiculous, I would be frustrated also, they should goodwill the whole thing. But I would not be devastated if I just got the $1000 goodwill credit.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Thu May 28, 2020 5:54 pm

After all the "my Honda/Toyota is going strong at 384,000 miles and I've never even changed the oil" posts, I can't believe we have all these reports of failures. But $250 seems like an amazingly good deal to me.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu May 28, 2020 5:55 pm

2018 Civic Sport Touring Here,
Compressor 10k miles.
Warranty.
Life is great no matter what
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Topic Author
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu May 28, 2020 6:04 pm

jhaze84 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:23 pm
I also have a 2016 Honda Civic and the same A/C issue as the original poster. Same letter from Honda extending the AC condenser warranty to 10 years, and same issue with dealer saying the AC compressor is the problem and not covered under warranty.

My dealer wants $2200 for the repair and they are only offering a $250 coupon to bring the cost down.

I declined the repair and am planning to take the car to an independent mechanic for a 2nd opinion next week.
Hi there. Very sorry to hear about the ridiculous $2200 quote your dealership gave you. If I had a copy the original $1375 estimate I would have sent to you to show your dealership. Ask for the general manager of the dealership and request that they contact the factory rep for a goodwill gesture. Of course pursue your own with Honda directly as well.

I had my car repaired today for $250 ($266 with tax) at the dealership. I was also supposed to get a free car wash but that didn’t happen :oops: . I am still intending on writing to Honda Corporate asking to be compensated for the the $250 as an additional goodwill gesture as it doesn’t pass the smell test that an 80% reduction in price was so readily offered... Had I not pushed back at all would I have paid $1375?

I also recommend you look up the class action lawsuit on the AC Compressor and join it.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Thu May 28, 2020 6:16 pm

Honda brand is no longer an automatic reliable brand. So buyer beware.

$250 to fix A/C issue vs. hot air in the summer? It depends on how you want to make it a challenge to drive without A/C in the summer. For some people, it's not about $250, it's all about the challenge. :mrgreen:

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu May 28, 2020 6:19 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:54 pm
After all the "my Honda/Toyota is going strong at 384,000 miles and I've never even changed the oil" posts, I can't believe we have all these reports of failures. But $250 seems like an amazingly good deal to me.
Those cars were made 25 years ago.
Kenkat wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:11 am
I’d grab the $250 deal but would write a follow-up letter to Honda telling them how disappointed you were, how you had always had so a good experience with Honda vehicles, etc. Maybe they will cover the rest of it.
I have never read through the details but when I have gotten notices about cars being recalled there is usually a section in it which explains how to get reimbursed if you had already paid to get the problem fixed.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu May 28, 2020 6:32 pm

illumination wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:52 pm
I say this as a former Honda owner, just disappointed with Honda reliability over the last few years. They've been having AC issues since forever, I don't know why they can't seem to get that nailed down. It used to be you could get quality cars from Honda, Toyota and Nissan. Now I feel Toyota/Lexus is the last brand that still takes quality seriously, and even there it's not what it once was.

A 2016 Honda needing a new AC compressor is ridiculous, I would be frustrated also, they should goodwill the whole thing. But I would not be devastated if I just got the $1000 goodwill credit.
Sad to hear of another Honda problem. I come from a Honda family that has often traded up one Honda for another Honda for many years without much though or worry, but lately, it's been more like trading out of Honda for other brands.

It's bad enough what was once reliable seems like is now failing much more frequently, but the escalated costs and lack of support and goodwill makes it seem like the bean counters have taken over. Cut costs while increasing failures (make $$), raise the cost of repairs (make more $$), sell more extended warranties (make even more $$), give out a little goodwill (still make some $), which all lead to taking home big bonuses. This only works until sales suffer, but by then it's too late for a generation of customers.

OP, don't fight it. Pay the $250 and enjoy the cool, and don't worry. Looks like the dealer has done all they can or want to do. Just write the letter to Honda but expect to be turned down. Join the class action, but expect to wait a long time for a result and maybe a negative one then. Next time buy a Toyota or other brand.
Last edited by inbox788 on Thu May 28, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Thu May 28, 2020 6:35 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:47 am
Hi there. I have a 2016 Honda Civic that is no longer under warranty. A few months ago I received in the mail a notice saying that due to issues with the AC condenser, Honda was extending the warranty on that part from the typical 3 years/36,000 miles to 10 years/unlimited miles. Low and behold, last week I go to turn on the air conditioning in my car and it's blowing hot air.

I brought my car to the Honda dealership yesterday to have them look at it and said that the condenser is covered for 10 years so if that's it would be a free repair. If they opened it up and found something else, the diagnostic fee is $140 and if I made the repair they would drop the $140. After waiting they came out and said the condenser is fine but the compressor is leaking and that it would cost $1375. I did a quick google search and found that people were having big issues with both the condenser and the compressor but only the condenser was being covered under the extended warranty. I brought this up to the service manager who "went and talked to the factory rep who happened to be there" and low and behold they will do the entire repair for $250 under "goodwill". Interestingly, while I was at the dealership at least 4 other people were there complaining about their air conditioner not working on their car...

I am having the car repaired next week for $250 because, well, I want air conditioning during the summer and it's getting hot out. But I can't help but think that if they were able to cut the bill 80% after the mildest of complaint they will cut the bill 100% for major complaining. Any thoughts on how to proceed? I'm thinking that eventually, Honda will have to cover the compressor as they did the condenser and I would be eligible for a $250 refund so it might be worth waiting it out. I also don't want to be difficult and jeopardize my "deal" of $250 because, after all the car is out of warranty and it's the cheapest AC job I've ever heard of.
I have a 2016 Civic. The A/C issue is pretty well known for that model and year - you can google it and find lots of into. My A/C died within a few months after I bought it, but they claimed they didn't see a problem. It was autumn anyway. By next summer, when I really needed, I brought it back in. The compressor had gone out, taking much of the rest of the system with it. Fortunately it was under warranty and was fixed. Later, due to an accident the condensor had to be replaced, but the new one is under the 10 year/unlimited rule. No problem since. Good luck!

carac33

Post by carac33 » Thu May 28, 2020 7:03 pm

2009 Honda Civic and 3 or 4 years ago the AC went out and it was the compressor. Cost about $800 at a local mechanic to replace. Don't know if this is related to the same issue, but sounds like this has been a problem on Civics for a while..

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Thu May 28, 2020 9:03 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:54 pm
That's a mix of a different generation of cars and survivor bias. You hear a lot about cars that last a long time, and you also hear a lot about cars that die early, but you don't hear much about cars that people get rid of that are still functioning. The later group is more prevalent among the U.S. population, although one could make the strong argument that Bogleheads hold on to their cars much longer than the average American.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Thu May 28, 2020 11:21 pm

illumination wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:52 pm

Honda's reputation is mainly for the long-term driveability of the car, rather than the function of the accessory systems.

Even there, though, they have had past issues. One of the big ones was the automatic transmissions in the 7th generation Civics. Still, these major issues still seem to strike relatively few models and years.

I don't know about past AC issues. My 2002's AC still works fine.

The current AC issues have been one of the reasons I've been hesitant to replace my 2002. In most regards, the 10th generation Civic still looks like one of my top choices. It's not even actually the rate of AC failures that most concerns me. It's the outrageous cost of repairs I keep seeing quoted on the Honda forums, and the fact that it took years to even get Honda to acknowledge the problem, much less effectively support their customers.