Tips to stick to a weight loss diet?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sandtrap

Re: Tips to stick to a weight loss diet?

Post by Sandtrap »

HomerJ wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:17 am
Kennedy wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:48 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:26 am

My suggestion is to turn eating from something pleasurable into something that you simply need to do every day to live. Find pleasure in another outlet.
Wow. Just wow. I think this is the key. Thank you.
It probably works (if one can do it), but seems so sad.

Eating is pleasurable. Again, try eating slow. You still get the pleasure, but if you eat slowly, your body will have time to tell your brain that you're full, and it's not nearly as hard to stop.

I LOVE food. I always groan when Dr. Phil (or whoever) talks about how people get fat because they are eating to fill some emotional hole. That may or may not be true... But I eat because it tastes good.

It's one of life's joys.

But too much makes you fat.

Finding a balance is hard, I 100% agree. Eating slow worked for me. It may not work for others...

But just giving up on food as pleasure?? That seems even harder.
+1
An example:
In Hawaii, the Island lifestyle revolves around food. Not finger sandwiches, but big “plate lunches” and comfort food from many cultures. Portion control does not exist. Eating is an art and a pleasure, and brings everyone together. Every gathering has a “luau” spirit and appetite.
In some cultures, fat = prosperity and wealth.
And, eating slow means one can eat much more. IE:Chinese 9 Course Meal, all night “Luau”.

I’m not sure of a lasting solution to weight gain when surrounded by this......😬😬

Aloha
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Vanguard Fan 1367 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:27 am
Kennedy wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:46 pm I guess a better question is, what are some tips to help stick to a weight loss (and then maintenance) way of eating? I do not want this discussion turning into medical advice that will get this locked.

It's so easy to give into temptation.

Any suggestions?
Listen to “The Obesity Code“ on Audible.
I read "The Obesity Code" as a book and recommend it highly.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Jags4186 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:26 am My suggestion is to turn eating from something pleasurable into something that you simply need to do every day to live. Find pleasure in another outlet.
Excellent suggestion. Relegating food to its primary purpose of supporting life not only would help one to lose weight but also to improve the overall health.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Dr. Peter Attia has a framework of the three areas for achieving healthy weight:
- Calorie Restriction (CR)
- Time Restriction (TR)
- Macronutrient Restriction (MR)

CR - straightforward: count calories, consume fewer calories
TR - 16/8, 18/6, etc.: fast for 16 hours, eat during an 8-hour window
MR - avoid carbs or avoid fat

Attia says that using at least one of these areas would result in an initial weight loss. That's why the arguments continue whether one should avoid carbs or fat. In practice, one can lose weight when starting either of these approaches.

Using two of these three areas helps with a long-term weight maintenance.

Using all three areas is difficult in the long term, but occasional use is helpful.

I use TR (16/8) and MR (avoid carbs).

Victoria
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

VictoriaF wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:01 am Dr. Peter Attia has a framework of the three areas for achieving healthy weight:
- Calorie Restriction (CR)
- Time Restriction (TR)
- Macronutrient Restriction (MR)

CR - straightforward: count calories, consume fewer calories
TR - 16/8, 18/6, etc.: fast for 16 hours, eat during an 8-hour window
MR - avoid carbs or avoid fat

Attia says that using at least one of these areas would result in an initial weight loss. That's why the arguments continue whether one should avoid carbs or fat. In practice, one can lose weight when starting either of these approaches.

Using two of these three areas helps with a long-term weight maintenance.

Using all three areas is difficult in the long term, but occasional use is helpful.

I use TR (16/8) and MR (avoid carbs).

Victoria
At some point, pretty much everybody should take 2.5hrs and listen to Peter Attia and Jason Fung https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqBkG0Z ... GNcGGSOsPI . The one and only thing that has been shown universally, in all animal models and clinical research, to promote increased lifespan is caloric restriction. The easiest way to do that is some form of IF. There are other benefits, but the primary one is behavioral; it simply makes it easier to eat less.
Horton

Post by Horton »

I recommend trying to make slow incremental changes that you can maintain for a lifetime rather than periodic, or fad, diets. Focus on trying to eat more healthy - drink water, eat vegetables, avoid highly processed foods, etc. Focus on exercising every day - walk, run, lift weights - it doesn't really matter as long as you move your body.

I've personally noticed that my taste buds seem to have changed over time. Foods like dark chocolate (78%+), olive oil, and nuts, as examples, offer me so much more joy now than highly processed food.

I also tend to drink coffee with breakfast and wine with dinner, so I look for foods that pair well with those.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Kennedy wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:46 pm I guess a better question is, what are some tips to help stick to a weight loss (and then maintenance) way of eating? I do not want this discussion turning into medical advice that will get this locked.

Any suggestions?
1 (way of eating)
Portion control.
Learn how much is a serving of something.
IE:
8 Fritos vs the whole bag.
I think one serving of chicken, fish, meat, was about the size of a deck of cards.

2 (sticking to it)
Mindfullness, making it an important thought through the day.

Weight scale when waking up.
Thinking about alternatives.
IE: breakfast
1 egg and 1 scoop of rice
or
large bowl of oatmeal
or
1 whole grain mini waffle
or
1 mini bowl of whole grain Kashi with soy milk
or
?

3 (what to eat alternatives)
Begins at the supermarket. Only buy and bring home what's best to eat. You don't have to resist what is not in the refrigerator or in the house.

j :happy
Marmot

How Not to Diet - Dr. Greger

Post by Marmot »

This is not a feel good, inspirational book. It is based on science and facts. It is the best $20 you can spend if you are really serious. Of course there is always the library too :D

https://nutritionfacts.org/how-not-to-diet/

Dr. Greger hones in on the optimal criteria to enable weight loss while considering how these foods actually affect our health and longevity. He lays out the key ingredients of the ideal weight-loss diet—factors such as calorie density, the insulin index, and the impact of foods on our gut microbiome—showing how evidence-based eating is crucial to our success.
But How Not to Diet goes beyond food to identify twenty-one weight-loss accelerators available to our bodies, incorporating the latest discoveries in cutting-edge areas like chronobiology to reveal the factors that maximize our natural fat-burning capabilities. Dr. Greger builds the ultimate weight loss guide from the ground up, taking a timeless, proactive approach that can stand up to any new trend.
Chock full of actionable advice and groundbreaking dietary research, How Not to Diet will put an end to dieting—and replace those constant weight-loss struggles with a simple, healthy, sustainable lifestyle.
Marty....don't go to the year 2020....Dr. Emmett Brown
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

I've lost 75 lbs in the last year with about that much more to go. So I was morbidly obese. I've lost 50+ lbs several times in the past and 100 lbs another time. I believe I am an expert at losing weight but obviously not at keeping it off.

Right now I track everything I eat. I use WW which assigns a points value to food based on calories, saturated fat, sugar and protein. I also track calories. Similar to my financial life which is pretty good, I look at what I eat as a bank account. I am allotted so many points or calories and when I've used them, I've used them. I think the key to keeping the weight off is acknowledging and committing to doing this forever.

I also believe that losing weight is ~90% what you eat and only ~10% related to activity. Health is a different story - we need a combination of both to truly be healthy.

Good luck!
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

Horton wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:52 am I recommend trying to make slow incremental changes that you can maintain for a lifetime rather than periodic, or fad, diets. Focus on trying to eat more healthy - drink water, eat vegetables, avoid highly processed foods, etc. Focus on exercising every day - walk, run, lift weights - it doesn't really matter as long as you move your body.

I've personally noticed that my taste buds seem to have changed over time. Foods like dark chocolate (78%+), olive oil, and nuts, as examples, offer me so much more joy now than highly processed food.

I also tend to drink coffee with breakfast and wine with dinner, so I look for foods that pair well with those.
+1

I also recommend getting a good night's sleep. It should help you maintain whatever food/exercise plan you decide to follow.

The following video describes research by Eve Van Cauter and others on the relation between sleeping and feeding. (I don't think it would constitute medical advice, but mods please delete if it does.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClmT7V4 ... e=youtu.be
shess

Post by shess »

Traveler wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:08 am I also believe that losing weight is ~90% what you eat and only ~10% related to activity. Health is a different story - we need a combination of both to truly be healthy.
I once lost 60lbs mostly by diet with a moderate amount of exercise, and after I worried about having a non-supportive goal distract me, so I set some exercise goals to help me maintain my less-obese body. I've trained for and done a couple very long endurance events, and what I've found is that pushing the lower bounds of my weight envelope using mostly exercise to burn calories is possible, but it requires a LOT of exercise. Like to the point where I had troubles fitting in the time to do the exercise and the time to sleep. It was amazing to experience those results once or twice in my life, but as a lifestyle it was just far too much to deal with. I know people with stronger baseline athleticism who can maintain a higher level of exercise on a daily basis, but I just don't have the genetics for it.

That said ... I think I'd go to more like 20% on the activity level. I feel like half of it is calorie burn, but the other half is eating with an awareness of activity. When I have a long ride or hike scheduled for tomorrow, I pay more attention to what I eat today because I don't want to feel terrible or have a gastronomical event far away from home. Likewise, having done a long ride or hike, I tend to eat with an eye towards my body's needs, and to prevent crashing later in the day. Like if I'm out riding my bike all morning and come home and eat pizza for lunch, I will absolutely crash and burn at 2pm, but I've learned that if I grab a reasonable sandwich from Subway on the way home, it will fuel my post-ride afternoon and prevent crashing. Each focus supports the other focus.
Chrono Triggered

Post by Chrono Triggered »

Dieting, like investing, is simple but not easy. This works for me, but I never diet and I can still lose weight.

What I do is increase the intake of healthy foods to meet my nutritional demands. We all have to eat, so instead of trying to deprive myself, I make smart choices. Wheat instead of white, fruits instead of fruit juice, items without artificial sweeteners, etc. I am also quite active; weight train at least 4 times a week with heavy weights that I keep increasing, and I also run and hike. Lastly, I do my best to limit my stress, and I ensure I get a proper amount of sleep. The combination of these items help me maintain a healthy weight. I still have cheat days and meals, and can eat things in excess when I want to because of the other factors I mentioned. If I was not active whatsoever and got poor sleep, my diet would probably have to be much more strict, which does not enjoyable to me. I'm all about everything in moderation.

Oh, and I also eat a breakfast that sates me until later in the day so I can resist the urge to snack. I usually make a 3 or 4 egg omelette with healthy fixings every morning.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

1) Get a kitchen scale.
2) Download Chronometer to track calories. Enter everything you eat or drink.
3) Estimate a good caloric intake for your height, weight, and goals. Figure about a pound a week for sustainable weight loss.
4) Give it six weeks.
5) Reassess.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

The magic formula is calories in - calories out.

The rest is up to you.

I limited breakfast to less than 300 calories, lunch to 500 calories, and then ate a healthy, but not necessarily low calorie, dinner at home. I still drank beer which contributed a few hundred more calories.

I bought a $25 ditigal scale to step on every morning. I’m competitive and this helped.

I broke the diet occasionally, but stuck to it the vast majority of the time. Had a handful of nuts in between meals, especially the first 5 or 6 months. Almost never touch fried foods because it at least doubles the calories of whatever you’re eating.

Eating healthy and exercise is a plus. But weight loss is that simple mathematical formula. It works if you do it and stick to it. The good news is that it gets easier the longer you do it.

Good luck,

JT
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Picasso wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 11:37 pm nutritionfacts.org

This non-profit changed my health
+1

Change what you eat. Make it your lifestyle.

All diets fail. The standard American diet fails all ages.

It just catches up to you and then it is harder to change.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Toons

Post by Toons »

Surround yourself with vegetables
Water,Brown rice,chicken,fish,
Almonds for a snack
Start walking and keep walking
No excuses
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Keto/low carb works for us - no potatoes, pastas, breads (there really are good substitutes). And read all labels- Avoid corn, wheat, sugar and most of the substitutes. Don't buy "junk" foods. I was amazed at all the items containing sugar. Don't think of it as a diet - its a WOE - way of eating. For the rest of your life. Meat and most veggies are perfect. Bullet proof coffee. Measure yourself. Don't think of your loss as "I have to lose 50 lbs". Go for 5 to 10 at a time. And slow loss is best. I am on a Facebook site called Push for Your Better. Lots of encouragement, recipes, positive thinking. Good luck.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

I've come to think that good dieting is like good investing: simple, but not easy. With both, what's simple is basically calories in, calories out, and what's not easy is dieter/investor behavior, i.e., self-discipline. I eat mainly a Mediterranean diet (fish, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts), which I love, and I count calories. I also weigh daily because the scale doesn't lie and without it, I would.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

I found that MyFitnessPal helps a lot. In exchange for them being able to sell your consumption habits to advertisers...
not to derail a thread, but whose to say this info isn't ultimately sold to your healthcare provider or life insurance company and you're denied a claim down the road based upon what you have eaten for the past X years. Its not that far fetched.
bfeenix44

Post by bfeenix44 »

VictoriaF wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:41 am
Vanguard Fan 1367 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:27 am

Any suggestions?
Listen to “The Obesity Code“ on Audible.
I read "The Obesity Code" as a book and recommend it highly.

Victoria
Dr Jason Fung (Obesity Code author) also has a Fasting Support Facebook group where you will read about and see pictures of amazing success stories.

Jimmy Moore also has podcasts 1) Livin' La Vida Low Carb, and Real Talk.

I love eating this way.
bfeenix44

Post by bfeenix44 »

mystupidglasses wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:38 am What has worked for me personally is cutting out carbs (with a concomitant increase in fat intake). AKA keto. This has allowed me to eat as much as I want without thinking about calories and I always feel satiated, full, and energetic. And my blood test numbers all improved.
Ditto....LCHF worked for me

(Love your handle...it made me laugh!)
PedsFIRE

Post by PedsFIRE »

I am a fan of Intermittent Fasting (ate whatever I wanted in a 6-8 hr window a day). Its less restrictive and easier to maintain

Weight loss: IF 5 days a week + alot of steps
Maintenance: IF 2-3 days a week + steps but not as much as weight loss steps
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

For me, the only thing that works consistently is counting calories (portion control). I stuck to 1500 calories per day for awhile and lost a lot of weight, however as others have mentioned I stopped tracking and gained a bit back. I've repeated this cycle a few times. The last time I adjusted upwards to 1800 calories per day and that was easier, however again I lost interest in tracking and figure that I can follow it without tracking, and back comes the weight.

One thing I've found that helps if you prefer not to count calories is simply to have a kitchen scale and weigh out a portion of whatever it is you want to eat. For example if you want chips or nuts, don't eat out of the bag, just measure out a 1oz portion. Most of the time that 1oz portion will satisfy the craving whereas if you took the whole bag you may eat several portions without realizing it. Apples are also very helpful, get a variety so you don't get bored!

I also try to eat only between 8am-4pm, the 8/16 intermittent fasting plan. Helps me sleep better at night not having a full tummy.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Elsebet wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:58 am For me, the only thing that works consistently is counting calories (portion control). I stuck to 1500 calories per day for awhile and lost a lot of weight, however as others have mentioned I stopped tracking and gained a bit back. I've repeated this cycle a few times. The last time I adjusted upwards to 1800 calories per day and that was easier, however again I lost interest in tracking and figure that I can follow it without tracking, and back comes the weight.

One thing I've found that helps if you prefer not to count calories is simply to have a kitchen scale and weigh out a portion of whatever it is you want to eat. For example if you want chips or nuts, don't eat out of the bag, just measure out a 1oz portion. Most of the time that 1oz portion will satisfy the craving whereas if you took the whole bag you may eat several portions without realizing it. Apples are also very helpful, get a variety so you don't get bored!

I also try to eat only between 8am-4pm, the 8/16 intermittent fasting plan. Helps me sleep better at night not having a full tummy.
+1
Daily Portion control = calorie discipline.
Between 1600 to 1800 / day has worked well for me...mostly...

But, it’s the 6 chocolate brownies while watching evening movies that will sneak in there.😬😬

Aloha
j🌺
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

"Michael Pollan, in his New York Times article Unhappy Meals, exhorts us to “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.” That’s seven words; I’ll reduce it to three: eat real food. The “not too much” will take care of itself." - Robert Lustig, MD
frugalprof

Post by frugalprof »

How do folks deal with social influences? I have a teenager who loves to bake cookies and a wife who has bought into the sourdough bread baking craze. Yummy but not great for the tummy! :D
stan1

Post by stan1 »

frugalprof wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:02 am How do folks deal with social influences? I have a teenager who loves to bake cookies and a wife who has bought into the sourdough bread baking craze. Yummy but not great for the tummy! :D
Helps a lot if everyone is on the same page in the household. No different than if teen was into M&Ms and always had a bowl on the counter ready to grab a handful.

Personally? I'd talk to them about switching their much appreciated culinary energies to cooking with mostly vegetables and spices. It wouldn't be one conversation but would instead over time pivot the entire household to a different way of thinking about food. I'd be concerned that the teen interested in baking would be setting himself or herself up for a lifetime of poor health if baking becomes an outlet for creativity and relieving stress. As posted up-thread food is sustenance not a hobby.

I'd also add that if the household has good income there are now plenty of home delivery services for prepared meals and ingredients to help with an evaluation and transition. I started having plant based meals delivered in February on a hunch that I had an undiagnosed food condition that I'd carried with me all of my life. Now eating mostly plant based foods for 3 months it turns out I should have made a change many years ago.
Last edited by stan1 on Mon May 25, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Socal77

Post by Socal77 »

Keep minimal types of food in house. Eat minimal. Get a scale and weigh every morning to keep weight loss or gain visible.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Patzer wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:00 am
HomerJ wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:51 pm (also apples - great snack - fill you up).
+1
Apples also reduce ghrelin production, which is the hormone that tells you that you are hungry.
I used to eat a lot of red deliciious and they did just that. Good info.

Ran across this article....useful, some old some new.

Keeping Ghrelin Levels Low

Some Common Foods that Keep Hunger Pangs Away:

Apples. The soluble fiber and pectin in apples suppress appetite by making you feel full. They also regulate your glucose and boost energy. An apple a day keeps the ghrelin at bay......
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

I dropped 40 pounds 20+ years ago and have kept it off with cardio exercise, going to two meals a day with lots of grains, fruits and vegetables and avoiding the consumption of entire pumpkin pies ... which was a bad habit during holiday periods.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Intermittent fasting works best for me if I want to cut 5 or 10 pounds. I do once a week fast, where I skip breakfast and lunch. I think, I put on 5 pounds since the stay at home order started mainly due to my diet changing while adjusting to this new normal.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

shess wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:30 pm
Traveler wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:08 am I also believe that losing weight is ~90% what you eat and only ~10% related to activity. Health is a different story - we need a combination of both to truly be healthy.
I once lost 60lbs mostly by diet with a moderate amount of exercise, and after I worried about having a non-supportive goal distract me, so I set some exercise goals to help me maintain my less-obese body. I've trained for and done a couple very long endurance events, and what I've found is that pushing the lower bounds of my weight envelope using mostly exercise to burn calories is possible, but it requires a LOT of exercise. Like to the point where I had troubles fitting in the time to do the exercise and the time to sleep. It was amazing to experience those results once or twice in my life, but as a lifestyle it was just far too much to deal with. I know people with stronger baseline athleticism who can maintain a higher level of exercise on a daily basis, but I just don't have the genetics for it.

That said ... I think I'd go to more like 20% on the activity level. I feel like half of it is calorie burn, but the other half is eating with an awareness of activity. When I have a long ride or hike scheduled for tomorrow, I pay more attention to what I eat today because I don't want to feel terrible or have a gastronomical event far away from home. Likewise, having done a long ride or hike, I tend to eat with an eye towards my body's needs, and to prevent crashing later in the day. Like if I'm out riding my bike all morning and come home and eat pizza for lunch, I will absolutely crash and burn at 2pm, but I've learned that if I grab a reasonable sandwich from Subway on the way home, it will fuel my post-ride afternoon and prevent crashing. Each focus supports the other focus.
It is sort of meaningless to try and break it out. If your diet is really poor there are often hundreds of easy calories to cut out. But when you start getting down to reasonable calorie ranges (1500-2500 for most people) and diet choices, it is sort of debatable if it is easier to exercise for an hour and burn off 700 calories or to slice that many from your diet. Some people would think that hour/day is the highlight of the day. Others would find it to be a chore.

Pretty much all diet reports suffer from severe survivorship bias. You will have the people that tell that IF fasting is easy and they are never hungry. You will also have the people saying they eat every 4 hours so they never feel hungry. Both work. You need to find what works for you. Same thing with pretty much every combo of food. There are some differences based on what you eat but they tend to be really small. If ANY of the revolutionary diets worked, you would know about it. Any diet is great for short term weight loss when. you are all enthusiastic about it. What it is like in year 2, 3 and 4 is a different story.
Topic Author
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

OP here. My main issue lately has been with kids home from college for spring semester/summer. It seems to be a constant round of conversation about what to eat for "second dinner," "what's for dessert tonight?" and "can you bring me home something yummy?"

It's so much easier will-power wise to keep the junk out of the house. However, it's pretty tough when your young adult is hanging around eating McDonalds. (Yeah, I know he shouldn't be eating this crap either, but he eats well overall and I'm not about to nag him about his eating choices. Gently nudging, perhaps, but that's about it.)
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

What worked for me when I got serious about dieting a couple of decades ago was finding a diet that included a lot of foods that I was willing to eat. For a picky eater that wasn't really easy, but I think it was the key for me.

I finally settled on an early iteration of a low carb diet. I was absolutely miserable and intolerable for the first few weeks. However, I completely and permanently lost my desire for sweets, including soft drinks which I drank a lot. After a couple of years I relapsed miserably, but the second time I got serious mostly stuck. I now allow myself some tasty beers and even potatoes occasionally. Giving up chips for snacks has been the hardest for me--I still love them but try to avoid having any other than lower carb tortilla chips in the house.

I will occasionally take a bite of DW's dessert, but I seldom am even tempted to have an entire dessert for myself. She knows how much I like potatoes no matter how they are prepared and how much I used to enjoy desserts, so she tries to get me to indulge just to see me happy. (What an obstacle that has been at times!) We have finally settled on a middle ground where I don't get offended when she offers and she does not get offended when I refuse or agree to only take one bite :sharebeer
reln

Post by reln »

Any suggestions?
Eat less
shess

Post by shess »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:13 pm I will occasionally take a bite of DW's dessert, but I seldom am even tempted to have an entire dessert for myself. She knows how much I like potatoes no matter how they are prepared and how much I used to enjoy desserts, so she tries to get me to indulge just to see me happy. (What an obstacle that has been at times!)
This is a continuing frustration for me. Part of what got me serious about weight loss was an unthinking comment from my wife - she immediately apologized, but it was true, and it was a wakeup call for me. But after watching me sacrifice to this end for a long period, she'll still bake a large batch of cookies, eat one, and then wonder why I get unhappy about it. "But I thought you liked cookies?" I DO, that's the entire point of why I don't want to have three dozen cookies sitting on the counter staring at me! But, unfortunately, that's the world we live in... and, in the end, it's not her fault. It's still frustrating, though.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

shess wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:23 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:13 pm I will occasionally take a bite of DW's dessert, but I seldom am even tempted to have an entire dessert for myself. She knows how much I like potatoes no matter how they are prepared and how much I used to enjoy desserts, so she tries to get me to indulge just to see me happy. (What an obstacle that has been at times!)
This is a continuing frustration for me. Part of what got me serious about weight loss was an unthinking comment from my wife - she immediately apologized, but it was true, and it was a wakeup call for me. But after watching me sacrifice to this end for a long period, she'll still bake a large batch of cookies, eat one, and then wonder why I get unhappy about it. "But I thought you liked cookies?" I DO, that's the entire point of why I don't want to have three dozen cookies sitting on the counter staring at me! But, unfortunately, that's the world we live in... and, in the end, it's not her fault. It's still frustrating, though.
I hear you. It was a long struggle for me--and still is as I think DW believes it is part of her role to increase my happiness (especially as I age). In her case I know it is related to how she was brought up by her parents. Knowing that didn't help me solve it, but it did decrease my frustration a bit.

In our case no amount of pleading, pouting, or anything else would convince her otherwise. The only thing that got us to our truce was my determination to stick to my plan (and try not to hurt her feelings but be willing to accept it if I did). YMMV.

DW made homemade ice cream today since DD is visiting for a few days. I have already told her than I only want "a couple of bites." I fully expect her to give me at least half a bowl and some of it will be returned to the kitchen to melt. She will accept that, and we'll continue our little dance for years to come :happy
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

Maybe try to eat slower? I've been told by friends who are doctors that one reason why I'm naturally so skinny is probably that I'm an extremely slow eater. I've always been that way and they say if I learn to eat faster I'd gain more weight naturally, so maybe the reverse would work for you.
yosemite_mountain

Post by yosemite_mountain »

Any suggestions?
1. The most important thing is do not eat proceeded food. Cook your own food from scratch, that way you avoid eating all the junk that the food industry adds; and that way you know what is going into your food. You can try cooking in batches so you can store some food for like 3 other meals.

2. Log your food into a weight loss app like "Lose It". You can track calories so you know how may calories you need to get to a target weight
galeno

Post by galeno »

From most impact to least.

1. Atkins diet
2. Fasting (intermittant, 24, 48, and 72 hr)
3. Sleep/rest
4. Exercise
KISS & STC.
xb7

Post by xb7 »

The "limited hours of eating" thing is whats' worked best for me so far on a sustainable basis, and "sustainable" is IMO what it's all about.

In particular, I focused on just keeping my eating within a particular time window. For me, this is no eating before 8 am or after 6 pm. So not super restrictive, but just getting to the point where I did this just very consistently, day after day for several weeks was a good start. I didn't try to do anything else during that time, nor did I worry about weight, just stuck to that one discipline to make it a solid habit.

Obviously there are exceptions --- going out to eat or having friends over for dinner, etc. But important for me is to make sure that the exceptions ARE unavoidable exceptions. The age of pandemic has made it easier --- very few exceptions these days!

A nice side effect for me is that I'm getting more sleep and more consistent sleep than ever. Because the easiest approach to avoid feeling hungry/grumbly in the later evening is to: go to bed! And ditto I'm not motivated to get out of bed too far in advance of when my daily "feeding window" opens back up. Diet and exercise are excellent, but add in getting more sleep and life is just better and healthier I think.

After I got used to this "limited eating" window of time approach, then I started to just measure out my breakfast and lunch meals in very consistent and limited ways. I find it's a lot easier for breakfast and lunch, where I don't bother with a lot of variety. I eat dinner with my wife, and this is always something of a compromise, harder I find when eating even with one other person to stop myself from eating more than I really need.

But overall, this approach seems to be the most sustainable for me. In the past I've been a long distance hiker, and in a given summer could easily hike myself very thin on a trip lasting a month or more. Sustaining that weight level was always the failure point. Barring some future miracle drug that really does work (and is safe, FDA approved etc ...), this is the best way that I know of (for me).
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

Kennedy wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:43 pm OP here. My main issue lately has been with kids home from college for spring semester/summer. It seems to be a constant round of conversation about what to eat for "second dinner," "what's for dessert tonight?" and "can you bring me home something yummy?"

It's so much easier will-power wise to keep the junk out of the house. However, it's pretty tough when your young adult is hanging around eating McDonalds. (Yeah, I know he shouldn't be eating this crap either, but he eats well overall and I'm not about to nag him about his eating choices. Gently nudging, perhaps, but that's about it.)
My son was the one who got me interested in strength training. Can you ask your kids for help in getting you (not them) to eat in a healthy way?
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Agreed on those that recommend overall healthy lifestyle changes over a "diet." You will return to your prior weight (or higher) whenever you go off a "diet", so you can't have the mentality that you will diet for some period of time and then be finished once you hit some target weight.

On a separate note, a nice little hack for hunger i've found is club soda. It has zero calories, but the carbonation causes you to feel physically full. It can be used to make small meals seem more filling, or be used as a snack replacement. If you want some flavor, the lemon/lime flavored variety tastes a lot like sprite, but with no calories or artificial sweeteners.
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

The only that works for me is logging everything into MyFitnessPal and not exceeding the caloric goal. I tend to eat healthier because I can eat more food like vegetables.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
Sun88

Post by Sun88 »

Being forced to stay at home has actually helped me drop a few pounds over the past couple months.

*I'm only eating what my wife prepares, which is generally light,tasty and well-balanced. No trips to McDonalds or Dunkin Donuts.
*Starting each day with a couple eggs, salsa and toast. The protein helps with feeling full.
*Walking, hiking or running daily. I run a few days a week and go hit the trails with my wife on the other days. We look forward to getting out.
*Doing a 15 minute HIIT video workout before dinner. Along with the strength aspect, it helps with flexibility and balance.
*Not eating after 8:00 pm, kind of a low budget fast. It knocks off a couple hundred calories a day.
*No coffee after noon. Not necessarily a weight thing, but it seems to help with sleep.

I don't really watch what I eat and still enjoy a beer or two each day. Hopefully I can keep these habits rolling when life returns to normal.
Trev H

Post by Trev H »

I have not dieted specifically to loose weight but to gain health (heal) from gut related disease... so tried several anti-inflammatory diets.

At 5' 11" and 195 lbs... I started the Paleo Diet... and in less than 4 months... got down to 165 lbs.

I stayed with Paleo diet for almost 3 years and it helped me reach my goal (reduced inflammation, gut pain, no more gut surgery)... for those 3 years but I continued to have low levels of gut pain... it helped a lot but did not completely get rid of the problem.

Next I tried Keto... which Paleo is a good starter for someone wanting to try Keto... With Keto you restrict carb intake (I maintained 20 total carb max daily) for 8 months... and my gut pain was reduced even more... barely there... but still there... and I lost 15 more pounds.

I then realized that carbs (seriously restricting carb intake) = reduced gut pain for me.

So what happens if you eliminate carbs completely... or as much as possible ? Well that is called Carnivore or Zero Carb and there are variations of that.

For example Very Strict Carnivore = Beef (or ruminant animal meat), salt, water. That's it.
Where Zero Carb... you could do Meat (Beef or any ruminant, chicken, pork, fish, basically any meat) also Eggs, Hard Aged Cheeses, and some oils, like real butter, ghee.

I did the more diversified Carnivore (Zero Carb diet) for 31 days... and then found - No Gut Pain. Also went to 143 lbs (my recorded low).

What I experienced from the Carnivore diet... is that when you eat mostly Meat (fatty meats, rib eye, tenderloin, bacon) and no carbs --- is that you stay satiated (feeling full) much longer. Many people that do the carnivore diet soon realize they can get by with only 2 meals a day, or even 1 meal a day. You just don't get hungry near as often when you consume lots of meat.

I did carnivore as a elimination diet... and found out what causes my gut pain (carbs)... and well also found out how to loose a lot of weight, but not feel hungry while doing it. For details on Paleo, Keto or Carnivore, lots of that on youtube.

Hope this helps.

Trev H
Angst

Post by Angst »

Wow Trev, that's remarkable and fascinating. Congrats on your success! I imagine it's taken quite a mix of patience and persistence (and intelligence) to accomplish what you've done. That's just great! Do you foresee ever attempting to selectively re-introduce any type of carbohydrate into you diet?
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

On a diet myself now and losing a bit of weight, albeit a bit slow, but ok. I'm eating the same foods as before (including ice cream), but a bit less carbs and drinking more water and tea. Drink a large cup of warm water before every meal. Also, limit carb intake during dinner (or keep it zero) while eating carbs for breakfast and lunch. Keep portion sizes a bit smaller than usual.
averagedude

Post by averagedude »

Losing or maintaining weight is just like building wealth, and the concept is simple. Consume less calories than you burn and spend less than you earn.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Any suggestions?
1. Park as far as you can from the grocery store or mall. Like literally find the opposite corner of the parking lot.
2. Don't eat traditional "American" dinner at 7pm, instead replace lunch with dinner and have supper at night.
3. Replace soda and juice with plain water and squeezed lemon juice.
4. Have a partner who is on the same page.