Del Webb 55+ communities?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TresBelle65

Del Webb 55+ communities?

Post by TresBelle65 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:45 pm

Do any of you live in a DW community or have thoughts about them vs. other similar active retirement communities?

Looking for thoughts/opinions, etc.

Florida based would be my first choice. Thanks

WolfgangPauli

Re: Del Webb 55+ communities?

Post by WolfgangPauli » Fri May 22, 2020 8:36 pm

TresBelle65 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:45 pm
Do any of you live in a DW community or have thoughts about them vs. other similar active retirement communities?

We looked at a beautiful one in Nocatee which is just south of Jacksonville and North of St. Augustine. Really nice and incredible amount of amenities. Just remember, and the reason we chose not to do it, you are essentially living at your country club. There are high HOA dues to pay for all the things that make it so nice and I just did not like tying that "fee" to my living expenses. We chose a seperate home and if we wanted to join a club we will join a club. But, if living in a self contained community is what you are looking for, I would go to Del Webb in a minute.
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com

Hawkintexas

Post by Hawkintexas » Fri May 22, 2020 11:06 pm

I am a physician who works near a Dell Webb community in Texas. We see many patients from the community, and I must say they are my happiest group of patients. I cannot speak for many aspects of the community (fees, etc), but they all seem very socially and/or physically active. I often hear of the rounds of golf, softball games, happy hours, and community events. Often times, our waiting room is like another social gathering, where they are planning or discussing their next event.

Certainly, one can get this amount of social activity outside of one of these communities, but for those looking to be around many like-minded people who specifically moved to a community to be active and who have the means to do so, this seems like a wonderful place.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Sat May 23, 2020 1:37 am

Have lived in one of the older Sun Cities, built by Del Webb himself, for 27 years. Have never had the slightest complaint about any aspect of the community. I think it’s just about perfect. How many developments do you know of where the home-owners have commissioned a statue of the developer?

I’m sure the newer ones are very different- I know they’ve much more expensive
- so I can’t speak for them.

The one drawback is that the belief that elderly people are poor tippers has prevented the rise of any good restaurants in this area dominated by the 19,000 home development. Fortunately, Phoenix and Scottsdale are easily accessible to those in the go-go and go-slow stages of retirement.

Pixafari

Post by Pixafari » Sat May 23, 2020 6:19 am

We haved lived in this Del Webb community in Ocala, Florida for almost five years. We have no regrets for picking this community or this lifestyle. IMO, you’re really moving into a lifestyle more than a house or neighborhood. We pay $204 monthly HOA fees and feel we get our money’s worth of value. We’re outside of the city so we rationalize our HOA as city taxes for the nicest, best maintained, most activity-filled, safest city we’ve seen. Our community is about half built and will have 4,000 homes at completion. There are lots of new folks moving in, many on the younger side of retirement demographics. We like north central Florida for its protection from hurricanes, lower cost of living, and beautiful horse farm rural vistas with rolling hills, live oaks, and manicured pastures. This is an excellent area for cycling, hiking, kayaking, etc. As is most of Florida, the area is quickly developing, but that is what you should expect when relocating to a popular location. We love the beaches, but it’s enough for us to make the short drive for day trips to the beach. These communities are ideal for making new friends and offering as much social interaction as you want.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sat May 23, 2020 7:17 am

While not Del Webb, we live in a beautiful gated community in Sarasota and love it. It has it all--tennis, pickleball, basketball, bocce, gym, 2 pools, cafe, etc and I don't have to do any landscaping. Since we don't have golf (which works for us), the HOA fees aren't bad. A major plus for us is there are also lots of things to do outside the community...beaches, shows, fine restaurants...and great weather. PS, I've seen Del Webb communities and they're nice.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Sat May 23, 2020 7:52 am

I have a brother who lives in the Del Webb community near Georgetown Texas. He is not very mobile, or active for that reason. His wife loves the activities and access to good health care nearby. It has been a godsend for her as she becomes the caretaker for my brother to have all of the available activities to keep her young and healthy.
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat May 23, 2020 8:47 am

TresBelle65 wrote:

Not Florida, but...

Do think about the "what next" stage.

We have friends that chose a very nice "55+" community associated with a small university, where taking classes or even teaching is encouraged.
But... their level of services ends short of what might be needed medically. There is nothing after the equivalent of "active assisted living"; it's best seen as "only independent living", perhaps with some extra services.

Our friends are already paying for private all-day assistance for the husband, and that is not going to be sufficient soon.
And the wife is, well, going nuts, with the full responsibility all night, every night, and also feeling like she can no longer go out on her own much any more (even with the assistance).

They will be needing to move soon, to some facility that does include more assistance or even skilled nursing (and perhaps memory care, too...).
And that means leaving the new set of friends they had finally begun to meet and enjoy during the past few years, and also changing many of the other services (including finding new medical providers, etc. - and that will be especially difficult for the husband).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Sat May 23, 2020 9:05 am

We selected a 55+ community that is not Del Webb. It is very active, social, and friendly. It is a new community, so everyone is just moving in. That makes it younger (many people move in late 50s) and very friendly, as everyone is looking to meet people and make new friends . We have been happy with our choice.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sat May 23, 2020 11:19 am

Pixafari wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:19 am
We haved lived in this Del Webb community in Ocala, Florida for almost five years. We have no regrets for picking this community or this lifestyle. IMO, you’re really moving into a lifestyle more than a house or neighborhood. We pay $204 monthly HOA fees and feel we get our money’s worth of value. We’re outside of the city so we rationalize our HOA as city taxes for the nicest, best maintained, most activity-filled, safest city we’ve seen. Our community is about half built and will have 4,000 homes at completion. There are lots of new folks moving in, many on the younger side of retirement demographics. We like north central Florida for its protection from hurricanes, lower cost of living, and beautiful horse farm rural vistas with rolling hills, live oaks, and manicured pastures. This is an excellent area for cycling, hiking, kayaking, etc. As is most of Florida, the area is quickly developing, but that is what you should expect when relocating to a popular location. We love the beaches, but it’s enough for us to make the short drive for day trips to the beach. These communities are ideal for making new friends and offering as much social interaction as you want.
Our cousin lives there in Del Webb Stone Creek. She's very happy; we've visited a couple of times and got positive feelings.

Anikat

Post by Anikat » Sat May 23, 2020 4:50 pm

I am delighted to give you my perspective as a twenty year resident of Del Webb Sun City, Huntley, Il. This was the first sun city built in the snow belt back in 1999 and has been a tremendous success. We have 5600 mainly single family residences, ranging in price from $200,000 to 550,000. The community has everything anyone could possibly want in amenities and clubs. 98,000 sq. ft. Clubhouse that has been maintained in brand new condition. My monthly hoa fee is 129.00 having progressed from 98.00 in 1999. Whisper Creek golf course operates here but is not owned by residents.

We visited other Del Webb’s all over the country and chose to build here because at heart we are Chicagoans and tho people have moved here from everywhere the preponderance of neighbors are from Chicago suburbs. We are about 60 miles northwest of downtown Chicago.

So now when a house turns over most of the time it is a boomer, married or single that is moving in and it is delightful how quickly they assimilate, join in and volunteer, bringing continuing new life to the entire community.

I guess you can gather that I am a very content Sun City resident and I think all the Del Webb communities all over the United States are special in their individual ways.

boglethat

Post by boglethat » Sat May 23, 2020 6:46 pm

TresBelle65 wrote:

I rented a condo in a +55 community that I really liked in Bradenton Florida called Timber Creek. Most of the residents do not live there year round. It is not a Del Webb community but during season had plenty of activities. It was also reasonably priced.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sun May 24, 2020 9:21 am

We looked at Del Webb about 13 years ago. Although it was very nice we were not quite ready to give up on at least a one-acre lot and the ability to have a house built to our specifications. I would check on the pet angle; I don't remember if there were any restrictions.

If those things are not a consideration for you, I say go for it!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

shokwaverider

Post by shokwaverider » Sun May 24, 2020 12:14 pm

This is an Interesting thread, would love to hear from more 55+ folks. We looked at Dell Webb Nocatee, NE Fla. The older homes are well built, but the newer ones are all wood. We prefer Concrete for Florida. We currently live in a St. Augustine CC. Our main complaint was it is far away in time because of the traffic in Pointe Vedra. Beach parking is limited an the beach is a long way (Again in Time not so much distance). We are so used to living 2 miles from a non crowded beach with ample parking everywhere and all services, docs, Hospital and Grocery etc. all within 5 minutes.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun May 24, 2020 5:49 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:47 am
TresBelle65 wrote:

Not Florida, but...

We have friends that chose a very nice "55+" community associated with a small university, where taking classes or even teaching is encouraged.
But... their level of services ends short of what might be needed medically. There is nothing after the equivalent of "active assisted living"; it's best seen as "only independent living", perhaps with some extra services.

Our friends are already paying for private all-day assistance for the husband, and that is not going to be sufficient soon.
And the wife is, well, going nuts, with the full responsibility all night, every night, and also feeling like she can no longer go out on her own much any more (even with the assistance).

They will be needing to move soon, to some facility that does include more assistance or even skilled nursing (and perhaps memory care, too...).
And that means leaving the new set of friends they had finally begun to meet and enjoy during the past few years, and also changing many of the other services (including finding new medical providers, etc. - and that will be especially difficult for the husband).

RM
At my age (a bit past 65) I am intentionally not planning for that sort of "what next". Especially now when facilities providing medical care look pretty hazardous.

I do like the idea of the active adult communities and may take a look when the present conniption stops connipting.

Presently I'm living in t townhouse community with a lot of retired people but no restrictions.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Sun May 24, 2020 7:17 pm

Older friends moved to Georgetown TX Del Webb . They love it. Their home was in new section, so they formed the new group for neighborhood 53. They made changes to the house (approval is needed for almost everything, even flowers). She was mid 70s, he was in 80s. He passed 2 yrs ago at 90. They took classes, ran around in a fast golf cart, he did neighborhood watch. She is now 82 and alone but happy. They don't have fences, but you can put up short ones. And pets are allowed. The whole idea is to get everyone out and visiting.

Cactuscoug

Post by Cactuscoug » Mon May 25, 2020 7:05 am

We live in a 55+ community outside of Tucson, Arizona. Moved in when we were 48 / 45. (20% of residents allowed to be as young as 40.) Love it! No kids -- I am allergic to kid-noises. You can stay as busy as you want. Or not. 200+ clubs, so you can find your own "tribe." Many afternoon / evening activities involve wine, beer or gin. There are set floor plans, but each can be customized with a series of "options." HOA fees run about $200/month, billed semi-annual.

PoultryMan

Post by PoultryMan » Mon May 25, 2020 8:21 am

Not to hijack the thread, but for those who have experience in those communities, are there any 55-60 year olds there? If you had to guess, is that age range a small minority?

thanks

drdrgolf

Post by drdrgolf » Mon May 25, 2020 8:32 am

We owned in Sun City Hilton Head and it was wonderful. If you are an active adult it is a unique lifestyle. You will never be at a loss of things to do. And, since all residents are away from 'home' most are eager to make and cultivate friendships. As a golfer I played so offer I would actually dance in our kitchen if it rained and golf was cancelled. If you have any specific questions you may PM me and I will respond. Good luck on your decision and let us know how things work out.
In closing, you need to realize that although each facility is conceptually similar, each is unique in programs that they offer. As an example, several in FL do not have golf courses on the premises.
Salute.
Dominic
Dominic

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon May 25, 2020 8:34 am

adamthesmythe wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:49 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:47 am
TresBelle65 wrote:

Not Florida, but...

RM
At my age (a bit past 65) I am intentionally not planning for that sort of "what next". Especially now when facilities providing medical care look pretty hazardous.

I do like the idea of the active adult communities and may take a look when the present conniption stops connipting.

Presently I'm living in t townhouse community with a lot of retired people but no restrictions.
But more generally, how do those in these "over 55" communities plan for "what's next"?
For most people, there *will* be "something next", be it skilled nursing, memory problems, or "only" extra/significant assistance needed?

Not all of that extra assistance can always be provided in the home, even if there is enough money for full time private in-home care. There are also the "activities", which can be harder to provide when "home alone". And many/most don't have the resources for round-the-clock private care in the home, possibly for years, anyway.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:47 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:34 am
But more generally, how do those in these "over 55" communities plan for "what's next"?
For most people, there *will* be "something next", be it skilled nursing, memory problems, or "only" extra/significant assistance needed?

Not all of that extra assistance can always be provided in the home, even if there is enough money for full time private in-home care. There are also the "activities", which can be harder to provide when "home alone". And many/most don't have the resources for round-the-clock private care in the home, possibly for years, anyway.

RM
"Most people" don't plan for nursing home or assisted living care 20 or 30 years in advance and it turns out OK. Many people actually will pass away without needing lengthy nursing home or assisted living care or they will receive hospice care after a terminal diagnosis. Others will sell their retirement home and move into a senior apartment or similar in their 80s. Those healthy and wealthy enough to do so might choose a CCRC; others can rent month to month. There are many, many options for getting senior care. Board and care facilities operating out of a single family home are widespread and very overlooked.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon May 25, 2020 1:58 pm

ResearchMed wrote:

RM
My experiences is they prepare the same way people who don't live in over 55 communities do. These communities are for optimizing life over the next 15-20 years, not the ones after that.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Tue May 26, 2020 1:59 pm

TresBelle65 wrote:

My parents have lived in one(Indiana) for close to 15 years now. They are in their 70's and love it.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Tue May 26, 2020 2:06 pm

randomguy wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:58 pm
ResearchMed wrote:

RM
My experiences is they prepare the same way people who don't live in over 55 communities do. These communities are for optimizing life over the next 15-20 years, not the ones after that.
In my area, there are many beautiful ccrc’s and non-ccrc independent living and assisted living facilities. A few are actually in the del webbb development, and thus have access to all of our stupendous amenities, and many are adjacent, but outside.

Also, of course, as elsewhere, many long-lived people live in their del webb homes into their 90’s, even 100’s with just some or no help.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue May 26, 2020 2:09 pm

I know next to nothing about Del Webb, or similar communities.

How common is it to rent in a place like that to try it out?

reddison

Post by reddison » Fri May 29, 2020 1:59 pm

Watty wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 2:09 pm
I know next to nothing about Del Webb, or similar communities.

How common is it to rent in a place like that to try it out?
My sister lives in Sun City Hilton Head (Bluffton). Her community has (or at least used to have) some units that were available to rent for short stays to try it out. We are approaching retirement and have looked at 2 different Sun City Del Webb communities in Las Vegas where our grandkids live (kids too :-)) They don't have short term rental units but there are homeowners who have houses available for rent - mostly unfurnished houses for a 1 year term. We were told by the admin office that the "rules" say residents must rent for a minimum of 6 months though they don't know what people actually do. We are planning to remain living in the Midwest but are hoping we can somehow find a furnished house to rent for 3 months in the winter. When you rent you gain access to use of all the facilities and participation in the clubs.

If anyone lives in the Anthem community in Henderson, NV and has any suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them.