Replacement Window in Atlanta

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RockCapri

Replacement Window in Atlanta

Post by RockCapri » Fri May 22, 2020 5:32 pm

Hi,
I live in Atlanta area and shopping for vinyl replacement window and got an estimate from 3 different companies. I Want to replace:
29 Double Hung
2 Picture with Tempered Glass
1 Half Round with Leg (Above Front Door) 1 Half Round
3 Palladium (Sun Room)

Company A - Alside Mezzo - $34,000
Company B - Alside Mezzo - $18,000
Company C - Simenton Asure - 17,880

I'm confused here, how come one quoting $34k and the other $18k to replace with the same brand window? Also, I'm not sure between Alside and Simenton which one is better or should I consider any other window?

Thanks.

Housedoc

Re: Replacement Window in Atlanta

Post by Housedoc » Fri May 22, 2020 6:31 pm

Is the more expensive window aluminum clad outside? If you are handy at all check into sash kits at a few home centers. Low e, double pane are good. The Argon gas advertised by many leaks out after a few years and is not worth it in my opinion. Sash kits run around$300 per window last time I checked. Once you get the hang of it, less than a hour to swap a double hung window.

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:41 pm

About six years ago we bought replacement windows. The different companies all had different prices. One company was really high just like yours. The brands were all different but there was a big range in price. Google replacement window forums and you can ask your question there about the difference between the two brands.

Topic Author
RockCapri

Post by RockCapri » Fri May 22, 2020 6:58 pm

>>Is the more expensive window aluminum clad outside
Yes, all the 3 include the aluminum clad outside.
Includes Low-E Glass, Argon Gas, Double Strength Glass and Upgraded Extruded Frame Half Screens
Includes 2 Air-Locs, Constant Force Stainless Steel Balance System and Balance Covers
Includes Supercept Stainless Steel Spacer Channel
Cap Exterior Window Frames with Alside Aluminum High-Performance G8 Trim Coil (30 yr. Limited Warranty)
All with Sculptured Grids
Double Lifetime Transferable Warranty

AussieDad

Post by AussieDad » Fri May 22, 2020 8:34 pm

I'm a little North of Atlanta. I signed a contract with Window World recently. The had a pretty good sale going, but I'm not sure if it's still active. My pirce is a little less than your cheapest for 32 windows. One very large, and 3 large picture windows; all with half round tops.

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Sat May 23, 2020 7:02 am

I live in Atlanta and the Nextdoor app frequently has people asking for recommendations on widow replacement. I see lots of people that are happy with Window World and Windows From Warriors. I noticed that Windows From Warriors carries Alsides.

Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:13 am

Try Zen windows, they will give you a quote over the phone, no stress.

Last year I had Windows World give me a quote, and Home Depot. 13 windows.
WW was no stress windows looked ok, but I know some people that had worked for them, Hurry up and get it installed, sloppy work, they get paid by the window for install.
Home Depot, high pressure sales. Simenton price was 50% higher than Windows world.

Zen windows gave me the price over the phone, and it was the final price. Same price as Windows world.
They did excellent work, and trimmed everything with color matching aluminum.

Doesn't hurt to get another quote.

Edit, here is a link to one in Atlanta https://www.zenwindows.com/replacement- ... atlanta-ga

Topic Author
RockCapri

Post by RockCapri » Sat May 23, 2020 9:13 pm

Thanks for all your suggestions, I will try to get some more estimates and try different brands.

slick_dealer_05

Post by slick_dealer_05 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:26 pm

We got 20x windows replaced with Window World ~ ~ 8 years back - great experience, low price, good quality, and clean install. Very happy with WW.
I got a bunch of quotes when I was shopping...Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's better.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat May 23, 2020 11:44 pm

AussieDad wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:34 pm
I'm a little North of Atlanta. I signed a contract with Window World recently. The had a pretty good sale going, but I'm not sure if it's still active. My pirce is a little less than your cheapest for 32 windows. One very large, and 3 large picture windows; all with half round tops.
I am also in the North Atlanta suburbs and had Window World replace a picture window and a garden window in the kitchen two weeks ago. So far I am happy with the windows and the installation.

I don't know how my price compares with the prices for what you are looking at but they were in the ballpark of what I was expecting so I did not get multiple quotes since it was just for two windows.

I had put plastic sheeting up to separate the kitchen from the rest of the house because of the COVID-19 then sprayed disinfectant and wiped down the kitchen after the workers left. I am not sure that with the pandemic that I would feel comfortable with workers going all through the house so you might consider how that will work.

They make windows at several different price levels but they will likely quote you high end windows first but you can ask them about the different options. Their top end ones were a lot better than the rest of the windows in our house so I got an lower grade that is the same as the rest of our windows.

I am not sure that you really need the high end super energy efficient windows here in Atlanta. The winters are usually relatively mild and even though the humidity makes it uncomfortable in the summer the actual summer temperatures are usually not that extreme.

I ordered them in January and they were installed in May which was about a month longer than planned because of the pandemic. They custom make all the windows so it takes a while to get them.

Be sure that you are clear about when you will actually get the windows installed, a neighbor used them a few years ago for all their windows and it took longer than expected so they were a bit frustrated but in the end they were happy.

With any window installer be sure that you understand if any trim will need to be painted, there is some interior trim on ours that we still need to paint but I was aware of that before I ordered the windows.

With all the companies also be very clear about just how big the glass part of the window will be. The way some replacement windows are made the frames can be up to an inch bigger on each edge so you may have less glass area. An inch does not sound like much but when you calculate the square inches it can be noticeable. For example a 36x24 in window is 864 square inches. If you take an inch off each edge 34x22 is 748 square inches. The grid they put in some windows also reduces the number of square inches of glass so if you want more light you may want to get windows without the grids if that would look OK. I once owned a house that was on the dark side and any reduction in the glass area would have been very noticeable.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Sun May 24, 2020 1:46 am

Housedoc wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:31 pm
Is the more expensive window aluminum clad outside? If you are handy at all check into sash kits at a few home centers. Low e, double pane are good. The Argon gas advertised by many leaks out after a few years and is not worth it in my opinion. Sash kits run around$300 per window last time I checked. Once you get the hang of it, less than a hour to swap a double hung window.
I too am skeptical about argon. I know molecules have different sizes, but if the folks at the National Archives in DC can't be sure how long the seals will last which keep air from getting into the containers of the Constitution, Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence, I am not sure how they can stop argon leaks in windows.

https://www.archives.gov/publications/p ... w-era.html

Topic Author
RockCapri

Post by RockCapri » Sun May 24, 2020 8:35 am

Thanks, I'm getting an estimate from Sunrise next week. So far I'm looking at Alside, Simenton and Sunrise and comparing before I can make any decision, do I need to explore any other company's windows besides these 3 brands? Please let me know.
Thanks.