ADT security - cost

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Poppy1234

ADT security - cost

Post by Poppy1234 » Fri May 22, 2020 12:18 am

We're looking into getting ADT security with the goal of getting the setup for 2 years to fulfill the contract and then cancelling service but keeping the equipment. Our house is wired, though unsure if we have the sensors or not as this is a recent purchase. Sensors are likely present as there's a dead security pad. If you recently had ADT set up, what were your costs? Did your security system tell you what's open, or does it just beep?

anon_investor

Re: ADT security - cost

Post by anon_investor » Fri May 22, 2020 7:08 am

Poppy1234 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:18 am
We're looking into getting ADT security with the goal of getting the setup for 2 years to fulfill the contract and then cancelling service but keeping the equipment. Our house is wired, though unsure if we have the sensors or not as this is a recent purchase. Sensors are likely present as there's a dead security pad. If you recently had ADT set up, what were your costs? Did your security system tell you what's open, or does it just beep?
Why not just get a significantly cheaper self install security system like Ring?

barneycat

Post by barneycat » Fri May 22, 2020 7:16 am

I switched from ADT to SimpliSafe and couldn't be happier. Even if you are only planning on paying for 2 years of monitoring, the finances likely point toward SimpliSafe (or something similar) depending on the number of devices you want.

whomever

Post by whomever » Fri May 22, 2020 7:36 am

"with the goal of getting the setup for 2 years to fulfill the contract and then cancelling service but keeping the equipment."

Read the fine print of the actual contract carefully. My memory is that whan we looked at it (years ago) it said that 1)ADT retained ownership of the equipment and 2)could remove it if you cancelled the contract and 3)were not responsible for any damage to your house resulting from the removal. It was one of those deals where the salesman assured us they would never do it, it was just in the contract just because. I tend to take a dim view of that kind of assurance.

I would compare the lifecycle costs with having your local alarm installer put in a system that you own, and having it monitored by one of the $10 a month monitoring services.

Also, I don't know about current equipment, but back then some of the proprietary alarm systems were locked down so you couldn't have them monitored by anyone but the original vendor.

anon_investor

Post by anon_investor » Fri May 22, 2020 8:16 am

barneycat wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:16 am
I switched from ADT to SimpliSafe and couldn't be happier. Even if you are only planning on paying for 2 years of monitoring, the finances likely point toward SimpliSafe (or something similar) depending on the number of devices you want.
I have had SimpliSafe for a few years and it is great if you want monitoring services. If you want the alarm system but not monitoring services, Ring is probably better.

The insurance discount I get for having an alarm system just about covers the annual cost of basic SimpliSafe monitoring. I think Ring monitoring services are a little cheaper.

rhanna

Post by rhanna » Fri May 22, 2020 8:23 am

My previous home had a wired security system and I think I went with Simplisafe but not sure. Anyway, I had to open the main security panel and install some equipment into the existing wiring which was pretty easy. I also bought a few extra wireless sensors to cover the back doors.

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Fri May 22, 2020 8:41 am

If you are DIY. Look at alarm.com based systems. They can be much cheaper and roll your system setup. They can take over old adt sensors too. Checkout suretyhome.com as an example of a full DIY. There are others too like geoarm.com, but I use surety for monitoring. I own the qolysy panel and it can be the basis of a very robust smarthome that is not tied to questionable data mining like ring, Alexa, Nest/google, etc.

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:10 pm

If you are paying for monitoring, consider that ring is only $100 per year.

Monitoring is where the profit is, not the equipment.

Topic Author
Poppy1234

Post by Poppy1234 » Sat May 23, 2020 2:14 am

We would like the system to be wired and since our house is prewired it works out. If it wasn't wired then we would definitely go the wireless route and get Simplisafe or a similar service. The main issue is that we recently purchased this house and we're not sure if the wires work. Getting ADT would allow us to find out if they work and have everything set up. Our current key pad does not work.

Topic Author
Poppy1234

ADT - self-monitoring after contract ends

Post by Poppy1234 » Sat May 23, 2020 2:15 am

If you had ADT in the past, how did you use your system after cancelling the monitoring contract? Could you still use it with Alexa or other smart home equipment? Or hook it up to a self-monitoring system?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat May 23, 2020 2:38 pm

^^^ I merged Poppy1234's post into the on-going discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet » Sat May 23, 2020 10:59 pm

I’m an ex ADT customer.

When I looked to move the system from ADT, they refused to reset the installer codes to the default or tell me what code to use. Without the install code, it is impossible to set the system to another monitoring company or self monitor. Luckily, my system had a back door way to get the code but others don’t.

ADT goes out of their way to lock you in to their service. I’d look at other providers first.

Wired is good but I’d want to be able to add wireless also if I wanted to add zones like water or freeze sensors.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sun May 24, 2020 12:04 pm

Poppy1234 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:14 am
We would like the system to be wired and since our house is prewired it works out. If it wasn't wired then we would definitely go the wireless route and get Simplisafe or a similar service. The main issue is that we recently purchased this house and we're not sure if the wires work. Getting ADT would allow us to find out if they work and have everything set up. Our current key pad does not work.
Recommend you look into Konnected. Konnected will allow you to use the existing wired system sensors, and make is a smart system. If you are not a DIY, you can hire someone to install Konnected. You can then buy UL monitoring at $10/month via Noonlight. The low monthly no contract cost is a benefit - would probably pay for itself the first year. The other benefit is you don't have to change batteries.

If you want to just go with a separate wireless monitored system, Ring hardware from Costco is affordable, although they sell the first generation larger devices, and the monitoring is no contract at $10/month or $100 year. I've decided this is not an option as Amazon owns Ring and I think it is just a data gathering scheme, and they have not glass break sensors.

Someone on here posted about Covesmart a while ago, and I've been looking at them. They have a 50% off hardware sale this weekend and their regular prices are low anyway, so this seems like an awesome deal. Their monitoring is also only $15/month no contract (or $25/m with some extras).

Abode is another wireless monitored system whose monthly cost can be under $20/month, and they have awesome hardware. However, I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on them because by most online accounts their customer service is abysmal.

Leaning towards Konnected for the reasons above.

Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 » Sun May 24, 2020 1:12 pm

anon_investor wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:08 am
Poppy1234 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:18 am
Why not just get a significantly cheaper self install security system like Ring?
+1

I had an alarm system I installed myself (hardwired) 20 yrs ago DSC, my monitoring service got bought out by Brinks. cost me about $22 per month, 264 per yr.
As the system is old I was looking into replacing the board and keypad as an upgrade, and adding cell service.

Then I looked at Ring (I don't have cameras) $100 per yr monitoring, all equip is warranted as long as I have monitoring.
New system price will break even with 2 yrs of monitoring service and comes with cell backup.

So I have 2 systems now one monitored (ring), one not, DSC but super loud.

Ring is Super easy to install.