Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
Katietsu
Posts: 3308
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by Katietsu » Thu May 21, 2020 4:36 pm

Problem: Thirteen year old is receiving very sexually explicit spam email. Several every hour seemingly from two different sources. It is a gmail account. The emails are going to the spam folder.

It appears that there is no way to have them blocked or automatically deleted before 30 days. I can not create a filter to block the address because sender of each email changes by a digit or two.

I wish she would just ignore and stay out of the spam folder, but the child is upset that they are there. So she opens the spam folder and deletes them all. But she has to see the disturbing subject lines in the process.

My question is- Is there another way to get rid of these? If not, then the next step would be a new email. I hate to set up a new gmail and end up in the same place 6 months from now. Is there an alternative email provider that would lock this crap away right away? I did see a suggestion to pick an unusual username so that the spam generator is less likely to hit on it by guessing. Any other suggestions?

atikovi
Posts: 383
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:20 pm
Location: Suburban Washington DC

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by atikovi » Thu May 21, 2020 4:49 pm

Don't you have to be searching for this stuff or something similar to generate this spam? If you don't want to change the email address maybe check the browsing history to see if any unusual sites come up. While she isn't doing it on purpose, some phrases attract weirdos. A few years ago I listed some tires on Craigslist and included in the title, Free Mounting. You can imagine the messages I got. And just recently I tried to list a Ford Escort on Facebook Marketplace but it wouldn't post, because, you know.

ballons
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:05 pm

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by ballons » Thu May 21, 2020 5:06 pm

You can create filters that delete or move email to the trash. If it is only "two different sources" create a filter for that.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6579?hl=en


Be careful setting up filters based on keywords because you may send things to the trash and/or delete legit email.

Topic Author
Katietsu
Posts: 3308
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by Katietsu » Thu May 21, 2020 5:24 pm

ballons wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:06 pm
You can create filters that delete or move email to the trash. If it is only "two different sources" create a filter for that.

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6579?hl=en


Be careful setting up filters based on keywords because you may send things to the trash and/or delete legit email.
I looked at that but the “sources” change their sender name by one or two letter(s) or digit(s), so I can not do it that way. Since they seem to be a set group of rotating emails, I will go ahead though and see if there are any keywords that could be used.

Topic Author
Katietsu
Posts: 3308
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by Katietsu » Thu May 21, 2020 5:30 pm

atikovi wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:49 pm
Don't you have to be searching for this stuff or something similar to generate this spam? If you don't want to change the email address maybe check the browsing history to see if any unusual sites come up. While she isn't doing it on purpose, some phrases attract weirdos. A few years ago I listed some tires on Craigslist and included in the title, Free Mounting. You can imagine the messages I got. And just recently I tried to list a Ford Escort on Facebook Marketplace but it wouldn't post, because, you know.
I don’t think you need to search for this stuff. This started about 3 months ago. And I was told right away and found nothing unusual in the history. She does not even realize I have access to her history (yet), so I am sure nothing was deleted. My understanding is that some of these outfits just send to any legit email they find. And some even just try likely names, which hers is. I get these too, maybe half dozen a day only, and I do not believe I have done anything to instigate it. They go directly to my spam folder and I only see them if I am expecting an email that does not make it to my inbox.

User avatar
yangtui
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by yangtui » Thu May 21, 2020 5:40 pm

atikovi wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:49 pm
A few years ago I listed some tires on Craigslist and included in the title, Free Mounting. You can imagine the messages I got.
lol

This is awesome!

PizzaEater
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:35 pm

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by PizzaEater » Thu May 21, 2020 6:07 pm

Completely untested, although I do make extensive use of filters:

You could create a filter based on keywords that does 2 things:

1) Forward to a "fake" email address controlled by you (not your teen)
2) Deletes (not archives) the email.

Filtering by keyword is messy - sometimes you'll delete legitimate email. That's why I tell you to both forward and delete the email, so you can occasionally review any messages and then send them back (removing the offending keywords so it doesn't get deleted again).

Prepare to spend probably a month tweaking the filter. You could even create multiple filters (one for each keyword) so you know which filters are working (or not). If you do this, make use of Gmail "+" feature in email addresses. For example, if your "fake/moderator" email is myparentalspamreview@gmail.com, then have your filters forward to:
myparentalspamreview+filter1@gmail.com
myparentalspamreview+filter2@gmail.com
...

mhalley
Posts: 8222
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by mhalley » Thu May 21, 2020 6:17 pm

Have her create a new gmail account and send the new address to her contacts. Change the old gmail account password to one she doesn’t know, and you check her gmail for the next month or so and forward actual emails to her. If the spam stops, she can take the account back again.
Last edited by mhalley on Thu May 21, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisdds98
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 9:55 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by chrisdds98 » Thu May 21, 2020 6:18 pm

are they all coming from the same domain? you can filter "*@domain.com"

User avatar
galawdawg
Posts: 612
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:59 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by galawdawg » Thu May 21, 2020 6:21 pm

You might consider installing an email client that supports POP3 (such as Thunderbird). If you do that, the spam that is caught by Google will never make it to the email client. If you change the Google password and keep it confidential, your daughter will have to use the email client to send and receive email as she won't be able to log in to the gmail web interface. Then you can periodically log in to gmail, go to the All Mail folder and mark anything that escaped the Google spam filter as spam. Eventually, gmail should do a very thorough job of catching it.

Alternatively, you could set up a free Outlook email account for her and again use a POP3 email client such as Thunderbird. The advantage to Outlook is that it has the ability to block all emails except those from approved senders. Then you and your daughter can compile a list of her contacts or approved senders and add those and block the rest. I don't believe gmail has that feature.

tibbitts
Posts: 10140
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by tibbitts » Thu May 21, 2020 6:55 pm

mhalley wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:17 pm
Have her create a new gmail account and send the new address to her contacts. Change the old gmail account password to one she doesn’t know, and you check her gmail for the next month or so and forward actual emails to her. If the spam stops, she can take the account back again.
I don't like the idea of changing email addresses for trivial reasons, and this is a pretty trivial reason.

TravelGeek
Posts: 3563
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by TravelGeek » Thu May 21, 2020 7:01 pm

galawdawg wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:21 pm
You might consider installing an email client that supports POP3 (such as Thunderbird). If you do that, the spam that is caught by Google will never make it to the email client. If you change the Google password and keep it confidential, your daughter will have to use the email client to send and receive email as she won't be able to log in to the gmail web interface. Then you can periodically log in to gmail, go to the All Mail folder and mark anything that escaped the Google spam filter as spam. Eventually, gmail should do a very thorough job of catching it.

Alternatively, you could set up a free Outlook email account for her and again use a POP3 email client such as Thunderbird. The advantage to Outlook is that it has the ability to block all emails except those from approved senders. Then you and your daughter can compile a list of her contacts or approved senders and add those and block the rest. I don't believe gmail has that feature.
That seems to assume the teen is using a laptop or desktop. Aren't most teens glued to phones these days? :happy

That said, your post did give me an idea. My laptop (Thunderbird) and iPad show the Junk/Spam folder for my gmail account. But I can hide it by going into the gmail settings (on the browser interface), "Labels" tab, and unselect "Show in IMAP" for the Spam system label. It seems to not impact my Android phone's list of folders/labels, perhaps because Google's own email app doesn't use IMAP.

User avatar
galawdawg
Posts: 612
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:59 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by galawdawg » Thu May 21, 2020 7:01 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:55 pm
mhalley wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:17 pm
Have her create a new gmail account and send the new address to her contacts. Change the old gmail account password to one she doesn’t know, and you check her gmail for the next month or so and forward actual emails to her. If the spam stops, she can take the account back again.
I don't like the idea of changing email addresses for trivial reasons, and this is a pretty trivial reason.
I strongly disagree that endeavoring to protect a child from receiving sexually explicit material via email is a "pretty trivial reason" to change an email address.

User avatar
Flobes
Posts: 1241
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:40 am
Location: Home

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by Flobes » Thu May 21, 2020 7:04 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:36 pm
Problem: ...receiving very sexually explicit spam email. Several every hour seemingly from two different sources. It is a gmail account. The emails are going to the spam folder.
atikovi wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:49 pm
Don't you have to be searching for this stuff or something similar to generate this spam?
Same problem here. Gmail account, with a unique made-up name. I'm now receiving 100+ smut emails every day, some very explicit, intended for young males. I'm an old lady. Started with a few, continually growing in number. Arghhh!

Teague
Posts: 1924
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by Teague » Thu May 21, 2020 7:05 pm

yangtui wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:40 pm
atikovi wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:49 pm
A few years ago I listed some tires on Craigslist and included in the title, Free Mounting. You can imagine the messages I got.
lol

This is awesome!
And when I had transmission failure I searched at work for some technical details about the fix. Their filter let me know in no uncertain terms that I was not to visit "trannys.com" or whatever it was.

As far as getting on these spam lists, no, one does not have to previously search for such things to get on those lists. Through no fault of my own I still keep getting offers to make my mortgage smaller and my anatomy bigger.
Semper Augustus

User avatar
galawdawg
Posts: 612
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:59 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by galawdawg » Thu May 21, 2020 7:07 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:01 pm
galawdawg wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:21 pm
You might consider installing an email client that supports POP3 (such as Thunderbird). If you do that, the spam that is caught by Google will never make it to the email client. If you change the Google password and keep it confidential, your daughter will have to use the email client to send and receive email as she won't be able to log in to the gmail web interface. Then you can periodically log in to gmail, go to the All Mail folder and mark anything that escaped the Google spam filter as spam. Eventually, gmail should do a very thorough job of catching it.

Alternatively, you could set up a free Outlook email account for her and again use a POP3 email client such as Thunderbird. The advantage to Outlook is that it has the ability to block all emails except those from approved senders. Then you and your daughter can compile a list of her contacts or approved senders and add those and block the rest. I don't believe gmail has that feature.
That seems to assume the teen is using a laptop or desktop. Aren't most teens glued to phones these days? :happy

That said, your post did give me an idea. My laptop (Thunderbird) and iPad show the Junk/Spam folder for my gmail account. But I can hide it by going into the gmail settings (on the browser interface), "Labels" tab, and unselect "Show in IMAP" for the Spam system label. It seems to not impact my Android phone's list of folders/labels, perhaps because Google's own email app doesn't use IMAP.
Ahhh. I didn't realize you can hide the Gmail spam folder in IMAP. :thumbsup

I believe the Gmail app itself directly accesses Gmail and doesn't use IMAP or POP3. So perhaps the solution is two-fold. First, hide the Gmail spam folder in IMAP using the browser interface as you suggested. Second, uninstall the Gmail app on any mobile device and instead install an IMAP or POP3 Android or iPhone email client, like Outlook. That may do the trick.

ragnathor
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:12 am

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by ragnathor » Thu May 21, 2020 7:11 pm

I have not tested it myself but I think you can make a filter to automatically delete the spam messages. Would that accomplish it?

See following link:

https://zapier.com/blog/gmail-filters/#Spam

TravelGeek
Posts: 3563
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by TravelGeek » Thu May 21, 2020 7:18 pm

galawdawg wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:07 pm


I believe the Gmail app itself directly accesses Gmail and doesn't use IMAP or POP3. So perhaps the solution is two-fold. First, hide the Gmail spam folder in IMAP using the browser interface as you suggested. Second, uninstall the Gmail app on any mobile device and instead install an IMAP or POP3 Android or iPhone email client, like Outlook. That may do the trick.
Yes, and if we are indeed talking about laptops, then go the Thunderbird route.

Note: in the settings there is also a show/hide option for labels, for the web interface, but that just seems to toggle whether the label is shown by default or hidden away in the “More” section. I didn’t investigate that further, though.

By the way, when I briefly looked into this, I was surprised that Google doesn’t offer better protection mechanisms for minors using email (eg, via configurable safe sender list, as you mentioned).

Alex Frakt
Founder
Posts: 11074
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:06 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by Alex Frakt » Thu May 21, 2020 7:40 pm

From Lifehacker
Send spam to trash. Instead of having Gmail-filtered spam go into your Spam folder (and have the annoying count of unread spam by the folder’s name), set up a filter with “is:spam” in the “has the words” field (just click “OK” on Gmail’s warning dialog box when you click next step) and “Delete it” as the action. Now all spam messages will go in your trash.

Carson
Posts: 671
Joined: Fri May 09, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by Carson » Thu May 21, 2020 8:31 pm

I’m curious is there any reference to ‘appspot ‘ in the body of the email anywhere?
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

snailderby
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:30 am

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by snailderby » Thu May 21, 2020 9:10 pm

1. I'm sorry your daughter has to deal with this.

2. Can she create a new email address and forward all the email from the old email address (minus the spam) to the new account? Then she can log in to the new account to access her email, without having to see any of the spam that's caught in the spam folder in the old account.

tibbitts
Posts: 10140
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by tibbitts » Thu May 21, 2020 9:34 pm

galawdawg wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:01 pm
tibbitts wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:55 pm
mhalley wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:17 pm
Have her create a new gmail account and send the new address to her contacts. Change the old gmail account password to one she doesn’t know, and you check her gmail for the next month or so and forward actual emails to her. If the spam stops, she can take the account back again.
I don't like the idea of changing email addresses for trivial reasons, and this is a pretty trivial reason.
I strongly disagree that endeavoring to protect a child from receiving sexually explicit material via email is a "pretty trivial reason" to change an email address.
it is a trivial reason. The emails apparently aren't being directed to her personally, they're traditional spam, and Google is identifying them as such. If left alone they would auto-delete in 30 days. The child is 13, and seems to be dealing with the situation well enough. She knows she can either leave the messages and have them auto-delete in 30 days, or just "select all" and delete them before that.

Now, if a specific person was emailing her inappropriate content personally that would be an entirely different matter that you'd want law enforcement to deal with.

oldfort
Posts: 570
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:45 pm

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by oldfort » Thu May 21, 2020 10:32 pm

I never get sexually explicit spam in my Gmail. Get your kid a new e-mail account. If you are back to the same place in 6 months, your teen is probably sharing their email with some questionable sites, no matter what they tell mom and dad.

SteadyOne
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:26 pm

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by SteadyOne » Thu May 21, 2020 10:55 pm

Gmail is zero privacy and it spies on you. It is free, but free cheese is only in mouse trap. Use paid email services that are quite cheap but great in stopping spam: Protonmail, Mailfence or Fastmail. The cost is very small.
“Every de­duc­tion is al­lowed as a mat­ter of leg­isla­tive grace.” US Federal Court

CFM300
Posts: 1852
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:13 am

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by CFM300 » Thu May 21, 2020 11:04 pm

oldfort wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:32 pm
I never get sexually explicit spam in my Gmail. Get your kid a new e-mail account. If you are back to the same place in 6 months, your teen is probably sharing their email with some questionable sites, no matter what they tell mom and dad.
Terrible inference. Maybe someone in her social circle is giving her email to questionable sites or intentionally signing her up for spam. It's a fairly common problem. There are numerous other alternate explanations for why someone might receive spam, of any variety, through no fault of their own whatsoever.

RetiredAL
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:09 am
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by RetiredAL » Fri May 22, 2020 12:20 am

CFM300 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:04 pm
oldfort wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:32 pm
I never get sexually explicit spam in my Gmail. Get your kid a new e-mail account. If you are back to the same place in 6 months, your teen is probably sharing their email with some questionable sites, no matter what they tell mom and dad.
Terrible inference. Maybe someone in her social circle is giving her email to questionable sites or intentionally signing her up for spam. It's a fairly common problem. There are numerous other alternate explanations for why someone might receive spam, of any variety, through no fault of their own whatsoever.
CFM300, I totally agree with your thoughts about spam generation.

My Dad has been targeted by both on-line escorts and the be current extortion "this is your password, we control your computer, know you visit porn sites, and have pictures of you enjoying porn, so send us BitCoins". The last few weeks there's been a rush on Amazon suspended account emails.

The irony of those e-mails -- my Dad is 95+, in Assisted Living, and struggles get and manage e-mails on his I-Mac. Luckily I don't need to worry about phishing emails. There is no password manager on his I-Mac, so he can't click on a link to get to a storefront or financial site. I have the password book and he's long forgotten passwords to everything, especially the important ones. He doesn't have ( nor wants ) a phone. I do all of his finances and misc ordering.

CFM300
Posts: 1852
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:13 am

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by CFM300 » Fri May 22, 2020 12:26 am

SteadyOne wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:55 pm
Gmail is zero privacy and it spies on you. It is free, but free cheese is only in mouse trap. Use paid email services that are quite cheap but great in stopping spam: Protonmail, Mailfence or Fastmail. The cost is very small.
I get more spam in my Fastmail account than Gmail. Both are paid versions.

User avatar
Cheez-It Guy
Posts: 830
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Fri May 22, 2020 6:54 am

atikovi wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:49 pm
Don't you have to be searching for this stuff or something similar to generate this spam? If you don't want to change the email address maybe check the browsing history to see if any unusual sites come up. While she isn't doing it on purpose, some phrases attract weirdos. A few years ago I listed some tires on Craigslist and included in the title, Free Mounting. You can imagine the messages I got. And just recently I tried to list a Ford Escort on Facebook Marketplace but it wouldn't post, because, you know.
No.

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 11740
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am
Location: 26 miles, 385 yards west of Copley Square

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:00 am

In Outlook mail, which I have from a very old .msn email address, there's an option to "block" the address. If you go into the utility, you can block the entire domain.....like @spamaddress.com
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

User avatar
mmmodem
Posts: 2029
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 1:22 pm

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by mmmodem » Fri May 22, 2020 7:12 am

My suggestion is to accept it.

I have a 9 year old. Her Gmail account also fills with spam as does mine and her mother's. It's a problem we all have to deal it. There are myriad ways hackers get our emails. The only way to stop it is to not give out our emails. We can choose to accept the problem and deal with it accordingly. My daughter will have two options. Ignore the spam folder or be bothered by explicit subject titles going in there. I hope she ignores it as I do.

absolute zero
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:59 pm

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by absolute zero » Fri May 22, 2020 1:08 pm

ragnathor wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:11 pm
I have not tested it myself but I think you can make a filter to automatically delete the spam messages. Would that accomplish it?

See following link:

https://zapier.com/blog/gmail-filters/#Spam
Perhaps that would work for the OP. It wouldn't be something that I would implement, as I prefer to periodically open up the spam folder and do a quick scan to make sure no legitimate emails were accidentally marked spam. After doing that, I delete all emails in the folder.

But I'm sure that could work for some.

inbox788
Posts: 6939
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by inbox788 » Fri May 22, 2020 4:14 pm

Alex Frakt wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:40 pm
From Lifehacker
Send spam to trash. Instead of having Gmail-filtered spam go into your Spam folder (and have the annoying count of unread spam by the folder’s name), set up a filter with “is:spam” in the “has the words” field (just click “OK” on Gmail’s warning dialog box when you click next step) and “Delete it” as the action. Now all spam messages will go in your trash.
+1

This should work with the caveat that you'll delete mislabeled Spam without seeing or knowing, but gmail's spam filter is very good, so there are very few false positives or false negatives.

I don't delete it, but I do filter and Mark as read, so I don't have to see the message counter. If that number updating is the draw to look at the spam box, it might be enough to remove notification.

Unfortunately, the spam problem isn't going away and a new email is the only real solution, albeit temporary. I've gotten used to moving from email to email, and even long abandoned emails still regularly receive spam, and whatever database the email has been entered into gets recurrently resold. Fortunately, email is now becoming irrelevant as are phone numbers, and the replacement apps are numerous and annoying, but have the benefit of making life difficult for spammer and robocallers as well.

Topic Author
Katietsu
Posts: 3308
Joined: Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:48 am

Re: Email for young teen with ability to auto delete nasty spam

Post by Katietsu » Fri May 22, 2020 4:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Here is my plan:
1) I will look at turning off notifications as I think that big red number probably is what is creating the perceived need to go in and delete the spam.

2) Since these particular emails of concern seem to have just a few variations, I am going to start by creating a filter using phrases in the body if the message.

3) If step 2 does not work, I will use the information from Alex to send all the spam directly to trash. I think the chance of missing an important email is extremely low. First, I am not sure how many important emails would ever go to this account anyway. Possibly some notification associated with the Apple ID? Second, the spam filters have gotten quite good.



I wonder if those who claim to not have this issue are just having the porn spam filtered out in an invisible way. I use multiple emails from different providers for different roles/organizations. Even the emails that have been barely used will end up with some spam of a sexual nature eventually.

Thanks again all. A couple hours of searching for answers did not help as much as you guys.

Post Reply