Please recommend a comfortable sofa bed

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SeekingBogle

Please recommend a comfortable sofa bed

Post by SeekingBogle » Thu May 21, 2020 9:57 am

Due to the recent pandemic, we have had to transition the guestroom into a second office. We got rid of the bulky guest bed but now realize we need a place for guests who stay an average of 10 days a year; my parents visit every couple of years and stay for two weeks at a time. We're thinking a sofa bed if we can get a comfortable one. Any recommendations?

Thank in advance!

sport

Re: Please recommend a comfortable sofa bed

Post by sport » Thu May 21, 2020 10:08 am

Do you want a comfortable sofa that converts to a bed, or do you want a sofa that converts to a comfortable bed? It is probably easier to find either of these than one that is comfortable as both a sofa and bed. We have a futon that is not very comfortable to sit on, but it converts to a great bed.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu May 21, 2020 3:56 pm

I have never found a comfortable couch that was also a comfortable fold out bed. In my office/spare bedroom, I have a murphy bed built in on one wall to look like cabinets that match the rest of the office cabinets. It folds down with a queen size bed and you can make it as comfortable as you want by purchasing any queen sized mattress to put on it. Takes up much less floor space folded up than a sofa bed. I think it is much easier to fold up since you can leave all the sheets, blankets and pillows on it and it doesn't affect the comfort-ability like a couch would.

chickadee

Post by chickadee » Thu May 21, 2020 4:07 pm

Two words: La Quinta.

Post by 123 » Thu May 21, 2020 4:08 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:56 pm
I have never found a comfortable couch that was also a comfortable fold out bed. In my office/spare bedroom, I have a murphy bed built in on one wall to look like cabinets that match the rest of the office cabinets. It folds down with a queen size bed and you can make it as comfortable as you want by purchasing any queen sized mattress to put on it. Takes up much less floor space folded up than a sofa bed. I think it is much easier to fold up since you can leave all the sheets, blankets and pillows on it and it doesn't affect the comfort-ability like a couch would.
+1 With a sofa bed the mattress seems to always be only 3 or 4 inches thick and is pretty marginal, maybe okay a a couple of nights but two weeks for adults is a real stretch. And the metal frame is always very klugey. If you have the room on a wall (and the budget) a murphy bed really treats your guests with respect. The downside is that with a sofa bed your guests will always look forward to their bed back home.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

chickadee

Post by chickadee » Thu May 21, 2020 4:15 pm

An inflatable mattress is also an idea. You might be surprised how comfortable these are. I'd get two twins, rather than 1 bigger one. Or, realistically, a nearby hotel might be best and most comfortable for all. I got rid of my guest room 20 years ago, as both our sets of folks didn't come much and didn't want to sleep on a double size bed when they did come. The extended stay hotel option was best for all.

Barsoom

Post by Barsoom » Thu May 21, 2020 4:20 pm

Check to see if your area has stores selling Murphy beds.

You can get them configured in many ways. I have one that's a display case that opens into a queen bed. I've seen one that is an office desk and bookcase that opens into a bed.

Something like this? Murphy Beds Gallery at Morespaceplace.com

-B

gnujoe2001

Post by gnujoe2001 » Thu May 21, 2020 4:21 pm

If you have the space, a futon frame with a good/thick/coil futon mattress works for us. I think its a 'full' when open.

If you want smaller footprint when closed, the Ikea Lycksele chair-bed closes compactly, but does compromise a bit on comfort. Its somewhere between 'twin' and 'full' size.

sls239

Post by sls239 » Thu May 21, 2020 4:25 pm

We got one from Eurway a long time ago that was like a futon, but much firmer.

It was great. Like slept on it while pregnant when the bed got too toasty great.

sport

Post by sport » Thu May 21, 2020 5:10 pm

When we bought our futon, the store had a choice of mattresses for it. We spent a little more and got the better one. It is a "full" size and is quite a nice mattress.

rob

Post by rob » Thu May 21, 2020 5:17 pm

sport wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:10 pm
When we bought our futon, the store had a choice of mattresses for it. We spent a little more and got the better one. It is a "full" size and is quite a nice mattress.
Agree... We have one that is brilliant to sleep on and is comfortable as a couch. It's basically a thick mattress that creases in the middle when you fold it up to 90 degrees supported by a steel frame with wooden ends.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu May 21, 2020 6:33 pm

I highly doubt such a beast exists.

Good luck,

JT

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Thu May 21, 2020 6:39 pm

We have a fold-out sofa bed with the mattress, and an inflatable mattress topper.

We have something similar to this, but it was from Room & Board.
https://www.crateandbarrel.com/willow-f ... 6?oc=1,333

Not cheap, but I could use it as my primary mattress, it is that comfortable. Ideally you'd find a local showroom to test yourself.

Topic Author
SeekingBogle

Post by SeekingBogle » Thu May 21, 2020 6:54 pm

chickadee wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:07 pm
Two words: La Quinta.
Haha. My parents are from overseas. Can't do that to them.

Topic Author
SeekingBogle

Post by SeekingBogle » Thu May 21, 2020 9:50 pm

Thanks all. I think I’m gonna get the Crate and Barrel one.

rsgdmd

Post by rsgdmd » Thu May 21, 2020 10:05 pm

They're expensive, but comfortable as both a sofa and a bed (assuming you like a more firm mattress):

https://www.americanleather.com/comfort-sleeper/

bikesandbeers

Post by bikesandbeers » Thu May 21, 2020 10:11 pm

I Second American Leather. My best friend has one and i have slept on it many times, best sofa bed out there.

Murphy beds are nice for offices too.

sunshinebottom

Post by sunshinebottom » Fri May 22, 2020 6:24 pm

Moved to a NYC apartment that's relatively small. Went to IKEA and bought a daybed. Have slept on in now for 2 years and it's quite comfortable. You can pull out part of the bed so 2 can sleep. Have done that with guests, but alone just sleep on the daybed, and have a nice couch using pillows during the day. Inexpensive as well.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri May 22, 2020 8:22 pm

SeekingBogle wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:50 pm
Thanks all. I think I’m gonna get the Crate and Barrel one.
I recently bought one from Crate and Barrel. I haven't slept on it but I have sat on it. I am happy with it as a place to sit, and the mattress looks like it will be comfortable. Guests did not complain.

A sofa bed is inevitably a compromise, in comfort and/or style. Having said that, a futon is cheap, makes a fairly comfortable bed, and is less satisfactory as a sofa. (I have had a futon also).

A further point: sofa beds are astonishingly heavy.

vsk

Post by vsk » Sat May 23, 2020 12:36 pm

I always wanted to buy one from https://resourcefurniture.com/
you are the creator of your own destiny