Remote teaching a 15 year old [about stocks]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
alex_686

Remote teaching a 15 year old [about stocks]

Post by alex_686 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:25 am

Everybody, I need some help and insight. I would like to engage and teach my 15 year old nephew over the summer. This would have to be remote, since he is 4 hours away. I am struggling how to do this. Not just the technology, but also the subject matter. He is not academic. His extended family is not academic. For context, this is my wife's sister's child.

He is a very different person than I was at this age. He is almost a stereotype - a rural gun-loving [political reference removed by admin LadyGeek] supporter. I was none of these. I am o.k. with that. [political reference removed by moderator Flyer24]

I think he is struggling in school but I don't think he is dumb - just that he has no direction and little support. So I am looking for something interesting and engaging that can be done on-line.

I do have one in. He has expressed a interested in stocks, which is well within my wheelhouse. Please don't recommend any of the standard Boglehead books - to point is not to learn about investments. To point is to engage in independent critical thinking with a interesting topic. Besides, I don't think Bogleheads can compete with flash Youtube videos on how to make easy money fast.

The problem with teaching him about stocks is that I don't know where to begin. Is Against the Gods by Peter Bernstein. I think that might be a bit much for a 15 year old but I don't know. I was calculating the odds on a 20 side dice when I was half his age.

ddurrett896

Re: Remote teaching a 15 year old

Post by ddurrett896 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:30 am

alex_686 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:25 am
Everybody, I need some help and insight. I would like to engage and teach my 15 year old nephew over the summer. This would have to be remote, since he is 4 hours away.
Go see him 1x or 2x/month to check in and do everything else remote. My recommendation on the initial visit: walk thru the wood with him and start the conversation, even better if you are carrying a .22 and hunting for squirrels.

student

Post by student » Thu May 21, 2020 7:35 am

If he likes youtube video, try https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa-ckh ... YXKQ-BALiw He is very entertaining and he likes mutual funds and lives under his means. He earns tons of money but spends very little.
Last edited by student on Thu May 21, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Providence

Post by New Providence » Thu May 21, 2020 7:43 am

ddurrett896 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:30 am
alex_686 wrote:
Everybody, I need some help and insight. I would like to engage and teach my 15 year old nephew over the summer. This would have to be remote, since he is 4 hours away.
Go see him 1x or 2x/month to check in and do everything else remote. My recommendation on the initial visit: walk thru the wood with him and start the conversation, even better if you are carrying a .22 and hunting for squirrels.
Yes, this is good first step. It seems that you first need to offer an open, helpful, honest, non-judgmental hand. I'd establish a relationship and follow his lead. Peter Bernstein can wait.

health teacher

Post by health teacher » Thu May 21, 2020 8:31 am

From my observations, members of this forum are strong on the verbal linguistic intelligence front, I.e. strong learning and recall through written and oral language or the "academic" type. You cannot successfully apply the same teaching strategies that you would to yourself to your nephew. With that said, a book review is probably not a good idea. You need to play the slow game and make it an organic learning environment. Setting up "study sessions" will probably fail miserably.

Your nephew must be able to relate to you and also trust you if he is going to learn from you. [Political comments removed by moderator Flyer24] You could use a similar strategy to begin educating about the stock market.

"Hey, Johnny, you won't believe it, I made $$$ by doing "xyz" while all these wannabes are failing miserably trying to beat the market. It's so easy, yada yada. Would you ever be interested investing? How about on your next birthday we open up an account with $100 and see if you can hang with Uncle Alex in the market."

There's your in to help guide him through experience in the market and help him learn through experience. Keep your expectations low as teens are NOT very analytical. You have to get him to look up to you and then he will naturally follow your lead. Avoid directly challenging his views. You want him to respect your opinions and relfect on them while he shapes his own views over the next few years. If he wants to hang out with you and/or listen to you, it's working.
Last edited by Flyer24 on Thu May 21, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: political

Flyer24

Re: Remote teaching a 15 year old [about stocks]

Post by Flyer24 » Thu May 21, 2020 9:30 am

As a reminder, political references are off-topic for this forum.

senex

Post by senex » Thu May 21, 2020 9:36 am

I like Socratic style.

"Jimmy, why do you want to learn about stocks?" (assuming he is interested)

"If you needed to raise money to start a lawn mowing business, how would you do it?"
"Would you rather have $1 today or $2 tomorrow? Or $2 in one year? Or $2 in fifty years?"

Topic Author
alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Thu May 21, 2020 9:41 am

Flyer24 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:30 am
As a reminder, political references are off-topic for this forum.
I do apologize. The point I was trying to make was not about politics or any specific politician. Rather, I am concerned about my nephew fascination with fringe conspire theories. I am hoping to increase his engagement and critical thinking.

mighty72

Post by mighty72 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:33 am

I hear your concern. I have a few folks like that in my family; I might also have some very rigid opinions about some issues. My number one recommendation would be don't discuss politics or his beliefs. Please don't tell him he is wrong or correct him. You will shut out. Discuss the topic at hand, use it to encourage critical thinking.
You: why do you want to learn about stocks?
Him: I want to get rich
You: that is certainly possible, do you have any ideas? Tell me what you know
Him: ...
And so on

Topic Author
alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Thu May 21, 2020 11:55 am

On the Socratic method.... 2 issues here.

He is not the most verbal engaged person. Health Teacher is scoring points here. He is the one asking me questions. I am struggling to flip the conversation so he is leading. It is one of those situations that he does not know what he wants. And how can one know that at 15? Some do, but most don't.

Second, I know you can make fast easy money in the market. These are my friends and co-workers. Note, these are graduates from top business schools with lots of letters behind their names. However, I am conflicted here. I don't see a good path for this C+ student to become a Quant but I don't want to crush his hopes. I want to fan his interest in something meaningful.

Topic Author
alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:23 pm

First, I think you are basically spot on. I am carefully trying to engage constructively - just not sure how.
health teacher wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:31 am
"Hey, Johnny, you won't believe it, I made $$$ by doing "xyz" while all these wannabes are failing miserably trying to beat the market. It's so easy, yada yada. Would you ever be interested investing? How about on your next birthday we open up an account with $100 and see if you can hang with Uncle Alex in the market."

There's your in to help guide him through experience in the market and help him learn through experience. Keep your expectations low as teens are NOT very analytical. You have to get him to look up to you and then he will naturally follow your lead. Avoid directly challenging his views. You want him to respect your opinions and relfect on them while he shapes his own views over the next few years. If he wants to hang out with you and/or listen to you, it's working.
Could you go into particulars on what you are envisioning? I have a hard time imagining that a $100 UTMA Brokerage account would let him do much of anything. Certainly not any kind of flashy trading that he is thinking of.

IMO

Post by IMO » Thu May 21, 2020 10:37 pm

alex_686 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:23 pm
First, I think you are basically spot on. I am carefully trying to engage constructively - just not sure how.
health teacher wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:31 am

Could you go into particulars on what you are envisioning? I have a hard time imagining that a $100 UTMA Brokerage account would let him do much of anything. Certainly not any kind of flashy trading that he is thinking of.
Give him money to invest in the stock market. Enough that it makes an impression and he feels his learning will result in more $$ for him.

But really, it's hard to get interest if it may not be there. We have our teenage son involved with a small amount of money where he has picked the stock fund. Man, he's picked a winner. But even with that, since we talk about the long term aspect of it, it hasn't seemed to create some natural interest in stocks. He's a straight A student, so it's not that he can't/doesn't learn things.

health teacher

Post by health teacher » Fri May 22, 2020 8:55 am

alex_686 wrote:

Ive thought a little about it and it's definitely a tricky subject. It'll help to know the final objective and perhaps I can help you out.

At least you care about your nephew. He will sense that and this will help too.

Topic Author
alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:40 am

health teacher wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:55 am
Ive thought a little about it and it's definitely a tricky subject. It'll help to know the final objective and perhaps I can help you out.

At least you care about your nephew. He will sense that and this will help too.
I am a really looking for is a bag of inspirational ideas, where one would catch the fancy of a 15 year old boy. The purpose would be, I guess, to help him develop into a more thoughtful and engaged person. I am using "academic" and "teaching" in a rather broad sense. I don't think he is college bound, nor am I pushing that. I would consider a joint critical reread of the Harry Potter books a success.

I am getting a sense he is struggling in school. He is not academic, nor is his immediate family. He does not have much direction or drive, and I don't think his parents are pushing him to excel. His high school is failing - overcrowded, underfunded, and has other issues. Multiple property taxes increases have failed over the past 10 years is but one example.

I am kicking around the idea of giving him a summer subscription to either WSJ or the Economist. Partly because he is interested in stocks, partly to elevate his reading.

I considered getting him a Arduino electronics kit, but that idea was nixed by his parents. The other side of the family has overloaded him with stuff that he does not keep care of. Plus no support other than myself and I don't think he has access to a real computer.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri May 22, 2020 9:51 am

alex_686 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:40 am
I would consider a joint critical reread of the Harry Potter books a success.
Then read with him. Figure out what he'd like to read. Doesn't need to be finance related. Form a two-person reading club. After he's read him comprehension questions. Ask him questions that make him go back and re-read. Reading is very powerful, a lot of people don't like to do it to their own great detriment.

lgs88

Post by lgs88 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:52 am

alex_686 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:40 am
I am getting a sense he is struggling in school. He is not academic, nor is his immediate family. He does not have much direction or drive, and I don't think his parents are pushing him to excel. His high school is failing - overcrowded, underfunded, and has other issues. Multiple property taxes increases have failed over the past 10 years is but one example.
One "problem" with the BH approach is that it's boring. You say you're interested in helping him learn about stocks. What about some friendly, low-stakes stockpicking? A number of brokerages now offer fractional share-trading.

It could certainly create some bad habits, but "improper investing" doesn't sound like the major issue here.

Ultimately, you want him to understand the distinction between capital and labor -- so that he might feel motivated to make himself the latter.

As for reading, start with his interests. Try a biography of Teddy Roosevelt. That man loved hunting. Start with "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" by Edmund Morris.
merely an interested amateur

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri May 22, 2020 11:50 am

In order to "invest", you have to have extra money to invest. (learn that)

In order to have extra money to invest, money has to be made by working, earned. (learn that)

Money earned is usually spent on a variety of things, needs, wants, before there is anything left to save or invest (learn that)

Working requires getting a job and . . "working" with good work ethics and ambition (learn that)

Job's require education and work skills (learn that)

All of the above requires a willingness to do all of the above and it takes effort, sweat, something beyond "thinking". (learn that)

Step 1: part time job as a laborer with a roofing company or family/relative business.
Step 2: earn money, spend money, enjoy making and spending money.
Step 3: rinse, repeat
Step 4: Learn that money can make money
Step 5: learn that money cannot be had without effort and work.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Fri May 22, 2020 12:23 pm

i'll take a stab at it.

first if you want him to think critically, you'll need to engage in the same way.

to that end, when I hear you talk about you tube videos and making money fast (you mentioned that one twice) I think critically in these ways:

1. just because somethings on the television, doesn't mean it has any value. By definition, the content that airs is paid for through advertising dollars. Therefore, you never really know if you're just being sold something behind the scenes.

2. You don't know the motivations of the youtubers. there are "influencers" on youtube. Do you think the average teenager understands these people in many cases are being paid to promote products (even though they're making it seem like they're your friend)? Do they know that so many on the internet promoting things may have been given those things for free? This is called a conflict of interest. This exists all over. Best to be aware of that, especially because it exists in investing.

3. there's no way to know if these ways on youtube help you to make money fast. You are probably more likely to lose money fast.

I could go on but let's just say you could start making statements that encourage thinking critically and flipping the script. Here are some examples:

if he says he wants to be rich, ask him what amount of money is considered to be rich.
He'll probably say something like a million dollars.
Then ask him what he'd do if he had a million dollars.
Let him then talk about all the money he'd spend on houses, cars, whatever.
Then tell him, "Oh, I see. You don't really want a million dollars. You want to SPEND a million dollars."
Let that sink in. If it doesn't (i.e., he thinks he can both have AND spend a million dollars) explain that you can have the money or you can have the stuff, but you can't have both. Think about it. use examples of famous people (look them up) or lottery winners who had money and now don't. Talk about why that might be.

You can show him a mcmansion and a three bedroom modest suburban home (or a porsche and a corolla) and ask him which of the two owners he thinks has more money.
Of course he'll pick the larger house and the more expensive car.
Explain that those items don't tell you how much money they have, but does tell you somethings about how much money they spent.
Explain that if someone has a $1 million house, they don't have a $1 million anymore. If they hadn't bought that house, they'd have a million more.

In these simple ways, you're laying the foundation for understanding that money needs to be managed, not just squandered. Money is not an unlimited resource that replenishes itself automatically. You're also explaining there's a difference between savings and spending and there are tradeoffs in life.

Finally, since his parents struggle financially, at some point you could say savings/investments are important so that you don't have to struggle later in life. This will seem so foreign to him, but ask the following:

If a person struggles to pay the bills while they're working, how on earth will it be any different when they're not working? That's the purpose of savings/investing. To make things easier in the times when income is less (explain many seniors only live on SS which is far less than the wages they had while working). If they couldn't make it on their wages, what's going to happen when they're getting even less income??

he may be too young for it, but at some point give him William Bernstein's 16 page book "If You Can. How Millenialls Can Get Rich Slowly":
https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf

He won't be interested if he thinks he can get rich quickly, but explain the surer path to wealth is the slower, more deliberate path.
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri May 22, 2020 12:38 pm

He might learn a lot by reading and learning about some companies. Get some past Annual Reports and quarterly reports for Exxon and Brunswick and send them to him. XOM is all about oil but their Annual reports are wonders of color pictures and graphs and discussion on oil refineries and chemical plants and oil rigs and tons of cool stuff for kids. The company is 150+ years old and you can see how owning a piece of it long term has grown in value.

https://corporate.exxonmobil.com/-/medi ... Report.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExxonMobil

Brunswick is similar. They make sporting goods and boats. The company is 150+ years old. Again owning a piece long term would show him how the value has grown over time. They own tons of companies and brands like Brunswick pool tables and bowling alleys and boat brands like Sea Ray and Boston Whaler. See below.

https://d1io3yog0oux5.cloudfront.net/_3 ... 6.2020.pdf
https://d1io3yog0oux5.cloudfront.net/_3 ... 19_Web.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunswick_Corporation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunswick_Boat_Group

Or maybe some information on a video game company like Electronic Arts would interest him. EA owns and builds many of the sports games like Madden football and NBA basket ball and Fight Night boxing etc. They are a growing 40 year old company started by a Apple engineer way back when.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 1027942046
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Arts#EA_Sports

I am sure there are other cool company stuff to show him and pick his interest.

Good Luck.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Fri May 22, 2020 12:58 pm

actually I just realized bogleheads can compete with youtube:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Video:B ... philosophy

check out those 11 short videos (total length about an hour in total). People spend hours watching t.v. shows. If they can't take an hour to watch 11 short videos in bite size pieces, then perhaps they really don't want to learn.

next have him play the following games (no real money needed) on whether he can beat the stock market (or not, likely not):
https://www.prudential.com/cdn/tools/ou ... oolcta=OFF
https://qz.com/487013/this-game-will-sh ... right-now/
https://engaging-data.com/market-timing-game/

now ask the following question (assuming he didn't consistently beat the market in game format):
"If you can't beat the market with past known data, what makes you think you can beat the market with future unknown data?"

explain that 80% of active fund managers (millionaire money managers) can't beat the market in a single year. If he's smart he'll say, "What about the other 20% that DID beat the market?" Explain that they may have done that in one year, but the longer they try, the more likely it will be that they will underperform. The data's all there (you just have to know where to look):
https://us.spindices.com/spiva/#/reports

Next share with him this ny times article "Hot stocks can make you rich. But they probably won't":
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/12/your ... -wont.html

it's based on the work of Henrik Bessembinder who found that only 4% of all the companies since 1926 created all the value of the market. And of the rest, half of them did worse than a riskless asset (t-bill). So many people take risk without reward. How will he know where the needle in the haystack is? Because someone on youtube told him? Why would they do that when if they really knew they'd profit from that knowledge. They wouldn't share it with millions of people on youtube.

This is stuff you're not likely to find on youtube.
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Fri May 22, 2020 1:13 pm

start w/ an assignment to watch Wall Street => Gordon Gekko rocks. :greedy

Greed is good. :moneybag

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Fri May 22, 2020 1:26 pm

F150HD wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:13 pm
start w/ an assignment to watch Wall Street => Gordon Gekko rocks. :greedy

Greed is good. :moneybag
I heard Michael Lewis say on more than one interview that when youngins now read his hilarious and damning book "Liar's Poker" about how Wall Street really worked in the 80s, they mistake it for a how-to manual.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Fri May 22, 2020 2:09 pm

OP,

Wondering if broadening the discussion towards Financial Literacy (e.g. here is how you can make money, invest wisely, and take CONTROL of your life)?

This has gotten some traction with my daughter and niece....
https://www.choosefi.com/book/

WoodSpinner

Topic Author
alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:53 am

Everybody, Thank you for your replies.

I am a little disappointed in the person who renamed the thread [about stocks]. "Stocks" was more about a hook, rather than the purpose. Piano lessons (if either of us had an interest or talent in this area) would be just as a valid. Some rigorous program that teaches persistence and discipline.

I would agree with everybody about spending time with my nephew. However, I might be able to see him physically once over summer break. The fact that he lives 4 hours away is just one factor. I can carve out 30 minutes out of my day to do some remote teaching. So that is why I was focusing on remote learning.

Topic Author
alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:54 am

student wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:35 am
If he likes youtube video, try https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa-ckh ... YXKQ-BALiw He is very entertaining and he likes mutual funds and lives under his means. He earns tons of money but spends very little.
Thank you for the link. I am looking at them now and may pass it on. That being said, I think he is watching way too many videos right now. I am hoping for something more engaging.

Topic Author
alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:59 am

lgs88 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:52 am
As for reading, start with his interests. Try a biography of Teddy Roosevelt. That man loved hunting. Start with "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" by Edmund Morris.
Can you expand a bit on why you chose that particular book?

It is a thick book(s), which in of itself is not a problem. I just want to know a bit more about the book before starting such a large undertaking. I am a fan of Roosevelt, so I might just pick it up for my own reading.

Topic Author
alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Sun May 24, 2020 12:03 pm

health teacher wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:55 am
alex_686 wrote:

Just to extend on this, does anybody know of a good free stock simulator? One that does not have to be tied to a brokerage account?

Doing summer trading would not be in my top choices, but if it is a thing to get him hooked on some type of critical think than I am game for it.

Quaestner

Post by Quaestner » Sun May 24, 2020 12:37 pm

You might listen to the first few minutes of Meb Faber’s recent podcast (episode 221) where he interviews Chris Davis. They discuss this idea.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun May 24, 2020 12:59 pm

alex_686 wrote:
Everybody, I need some help and insight. I would like to engage and teach my 15 year old nephew over the summer. This would have to be remote, since he is 4 hours away. I am struggling how to do this. Not just the technology, but also the subject matter. He is not academic. His extended family is not academic. For context, this is my wife's sister's child.

He is a very different person than I was at this age. He is almost a stereotype - a rural gun-loving [political reference removed by admin LadyGeek] supporter. I was none of these. I am o.k. with that. [political reference removed by moderator Flyer24]

I think he is struggling in school but I don't think he is dumb - just that he has no direction and little support. So I am looking for something interesting and engaging that can be done on-line.

I do have one in. He has expressed a interested in stocks, which is well within my wheelhouse. Please don't recommend any of the standard Boglehead books - to point is not to learn about investments. To point is to engage in independent critical thinking with a interesting topic. Besides, I don't think Bogleheads can compete with flash Youtube videos on how to make easy money fast.

The problem with teaching him about stocks is that I don't know where to begin. Is Against the Gods by Peter Bernstein. I think that might be a bit much for a 15 year old but I don't know. I was calculating the odds on a 20 side dice when I was half his age.
Are you sure he's interested in stocks and not interested in making money? At his age it would be reasonable to start thinking about how to make money. Investing comes and is less important - you can't invest in stocks or anything else until you've earned money. Helping him figure out how he's going to make money is more important.

Topic Author
alex_686

Post by alex_686 » Sun May 24, 2020 1:06 pm

tibbitts wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:59 pm
Are you sure he's interested in stocks and not interested in making money? At his age it would be reasonable to start thinking about how to make money. Investing comes and is less important - you can't invest in stocks or anything else until you've earned money. Helping him figure out how he's going to make money is more important.
I am fairly confident he is interested in making money. Fast and easy.

lgs88

Post by lgs88 » Sun May 24, 2020 6:35 pm

alex_686 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 11:59 am
lgs88 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:52 am
Can you expand a bit on why you chose that particular book?

It is a thick book(s), which in of itself is not a problem. I just want to know a bit more about the book before starting such a large undertaking. I am a fan of Roosevelt, so I might just pick it up for my own reading.
Upon further reflection, “Mornings on Horseback” by David McCullough (also about TR) might be more digestible for his age. Winston Churchill’s “My Early Life” is also great.

I recommend those books because they’re largely tales of excitement and derring-do naturally appealing to a young person. They’re examples of what one can do with one’s life, if one applies oneself in a particular direction.
merely an interested amateur