Ecobee3 lite - smart choice?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
unstoppable

Ecobee3 lite - smart choice?

Post by unstoppable » Thu May 21, 2020 5:50 am

I was gifted the ecobee 3 lite late last year and had my AC guy install it yesterday since it’s been sitting here. I had a regular simple thermostat where you can set cool/auto and up/down temp.

While the ecobee seems pretty simple I’m wondering if I should have replaced it. I didn’t sleep well last night as it seemed to make it too cold in the house.

I put a thermometer on top of it today and it’s reading 72, while the ecobee shows 75. I have the temp set to “74 and holding” and it’s currently on.

Does anyone else have this one? Was it a good idea to install it or should I just have sold it (my original plan). Any settings I should change? Ideally I just want to be able to simply control the thermostat with my phone. Not interested in any automation or machine learning type stuff. I’ll maybe do a schedule when I’m back at work to keep it even more simple.

Any insight on this unit positive or negative is appreciated. Just want to ensure I didn’t make things more complicated by switching my reliable cheaper low tech thermostat.

bob60014

Re: Ecobee3 lite - smart choice?

Post by bob60014 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:17 am

You didn't mention the size if home, number of floors and other conditions.
I have a Ecobee3, which supports humidifiers, dehumidifiers, or ventilators (which I dont use) and can use the room sensors (which I do use). If I recall, the "E3 Lite" does not support these features. Overall the E3 works fine.
Work on the schedule, once set it will maintain the temp level desired and has graphs to show you what is occurring during the day.

I did find that you have to tweek the settings to find the right comfort range and found this is easier to do on the website rather than on the t-stats mini screen. The layout for programming could be better but once figured out, it's easy to change. Also, ensure your wi-fi connection is stable at the t-stat.
Last edited by bob60014 on Thu May 21, 2020 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

DVA79

Post by DVA79 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:31 am

I have a ecobee 3 lite in a new Trane system and love it. You can customize settings and control staging very effectively with it. If the temperature is off (and confirm that it is with maybe your old thermostat next to it), you can use the temp offset in the settings.

Best part is adding room sensors And then control furnace during specified time periods based on those sensors.

I would also use the 3rd party site “beestat” to get even better data on run time, individual sensor readings, etc. far more details then the ecobee app.

grayfox

Post by grayfox » Thu May 21, 2020 7:38 am

I just ordered and Ecobee 3 lite. My gas company had a Smart Thermostat Earth day promotion where you could get it for $14. Regular $169.

The other $14 option was Nest E. But I picked the Ecobee Lite without doing any research. I figured for $14 you can't go wrong.
Sic transit gloria mundi. [STGM]

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:41 am

You probably just need time to figure it out and tweak it how you want it. I installed one a year or more ago and have had no issues. It is great to be able to turn off the AC from my phone when I'm at the airport to start a two week trip and realized I forgot to set the vacation schedule. Also great that the heat will turn itself back up for when I get home from winter vacations. Bonus for being able to do a temporary change by voice through Alexa if I don't feel like getting up.

I noticed that the Ecobee has a much smaller hysteresis curve than my old basic thermostat. If my old thermostat was set to 70, the heat may not kick on until 68. It would then overshoot to 72. The Ecobee set at 70 turns on at 69 and off again at 70. Being smart and also knowing the outside weather via the internet it can better anticipate how your furnace responds. My house is an 1100 square foot ranch with full basement and just the single sensor in the thermostat.

DVA79

Post by DVA79 » Thu May 21, 2020 7:49 am

tev9876 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:41 am

I noticed that the Ecobee has a much smaller hysteresis curve than my old basic thermostat. If my old thermostat was set to 70, the heat may not kick on until 68. It would then overshoot to 72. The Ecobee set at 70 turns on at 69 and off again at 70. Being smart and also knowing the outside weather via the internet it can better anticipate how your furnace responds. My house is an 1100 square foot ranch with full basement and just the single sensor in the thermostat.
You can change all this in the settings from .5 degrees swing to 3 degrees. I have my set for 1.5 degrees for heat and 1 degree for cool.

Topic Author
unstoppable

Post by unstoppable » Thu May 21, 2020 9:24 am

DVA79 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:49 am
tev9876 wrote:

You can change all this in the settings from .5 degrees swing to 3 degrees. I have my set for 1.5 degrees for heat and 1 degree for cool.
Interesting. I'm in a very hot climate, so would never use heat, but 1 degree for cool seems optimal. Any idea where this is in the menu, looking on my phone app now...I'd like it to be less sensitive, and not turn as often if not needed.

DVA79

Post by DVA79 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:22 pm

unstoppable wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:24 am
DVA79 wrote:
tev9876 wrote:

Interesting. I'm in a very hot climate, so would never use heat, but 1 degree for cool seems optimal. Any idea where this is in the menu, looking on my phone app now...I'd like it to be less sensitive, and not turn as often if not needed.
Unfortunately, the settings are only on the thermostat itself, not the app. See here: https://support.ecobee.com/hc/en-us/art ... hermostats

Topic Author
unstoppable

Post by unstoppable » Sat May 23, 2020 7:44 am

DVA79 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:22 pm
unstoppable wrote:
DVA79 wrote:
tev9876 wrote:

Unfortunately, the settings are only on the thermostat itself, not the app. See here: https://support.ecobee.com/hc/en-us/art ... hermostats
DVA79 wrote:
unstoppable wrote:
DVA79 wrote:
tev9876 wrote:

Thanks for the insight. I changed it from 0.5 to 1.5 degrees. What’s the norm for most thermostats? I still have my old one. Is there anyway to see what it was set to? I don’t see any options. Is there a way to see the setting of the old one online? Would 2 degrees be even better?

Here’s my old one: https://pro1iaq.com/t701

I’m noticing that it’s getting very cold in here and it’s still coming on and staying on longer than previously. Last night my humidity was 39-41% it’s usually 50-52%. Any reason for that?

DVA79

Post by DVA79 » Sat May 23, 2020 8:10 am

unstoppable wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:44 am
DVA79 wrote:
unstoppable wrote:
DVA79 wrote:
tev9876 wrote:

DVA79 wrote:
unstoppable wrote:
DVA79 wrote:
tev9876 wrote:

Thanks for the insight. I changed it from 0.5 to 1.5 degrees. What’s the norm for most thermostats? I still have my old one. Is there anyway to see what it was set to? I don’t see any options. Is there a way to see the setting of the old one online? Would 2 degrees be even better?

Here’s my old one: https://pro1iaq.com/t701

I’m noticing that it’s getting very cold in here and it’s still coming on and staying on longer than previously. Last night my humidity was 39-41% it’s usually 50-52%. Any reason for that?
Larger temp swings are more efficient on equipment (Longer run times and less cycles) but a bit less comfortable.

What are you using to measure humidity?

DesertMan

Post by DesertMan » Sat May 23, 2020 10:54 am

I think the ecobee 3 series supports remote sensors. You probably need to put one in the bedroom. I am considering replacing my Nest gen 2 with an ecobee 3 lite for the SmartThings integration.