“Fuzzy” monitor - will moving from VGA to DVI help?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CorradoJr

“Fuzzy” monitor - will moving from VGA to DVI help?

Post by CorradoJr » Wed May 20, 2020 7:27 pm

I am using a newer HP Elitebook Folio with an external 9 year-old Asus monitor. Currently it has a proprietary HP dock connector to a VGA cable going to the monitor. The monitor only has DVI and VGA ports.

My laptop has both USB-C and a HDMI ports. Before I buy a newer, higher quality monitor, would using either the HDMI port or USB-C to a DVI cable improve the “fuzziness?”

In Excel things are not very crisp.
Secondly, would HDMI to DVI or USB-C to DVI provide the best picture quality?

dukeblue219

Re: “Fuzzy” monitor - will moving from VGA to DVI help?

Post by dukeblue219 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:35 pm

VGA is old but usually holds up OK for normal use and a good VGA cable can easily drive a 1080P monitor. A fuzzy picture sounds more like a bad monitor OR bad settings. Maybe the resolution is just set wrong? Can that monitor do 1080P? At that age it might not be able to, or if it can, maybe the PC is just sending it a much lower resolution.

Either of your converters would be the same end result.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Wed May 20, 2020 7:38 pm

Very high probability is a mismatch between the video output settings and the monitor.

Lower probability: cleartype settings.

Now if it's only some applications- check compatibility settings.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed May 20, 2020 7:44 pm

The first thing to verify is that your computer's external display resolution settings matches the native resolution setting of the display. This matters even with old analog CRT monitors, but it is especially important with digital flat-panel monitors. In an effort to be helpful, monitors may tell the computer they support, and computers may auto-select, resolutions that are not the native resolution. For example, a 1600x900 monitor may tell the computer that it can handle 1280x720. And it can, but only by mathematically scaling the resolution, which usually produces a fuzzy image.

See if you can find the native resolution of your Asus monitor. A Google search on the exact model number will usually work.

Find the "display resolution" setting in your OS, and find a setting that lets you force the specific resolution you want, instead of letting the computer auto-select one.

One advantage of the newer interfaces is that they tell the computer exactly what the monitor can or can't do. Older "VGA" interfaces may or may not do this, and the computer may or may not be able to take advantage of the information. If the computer sets itself to a bad resolution, the monitor will usually try its best to display it rather than show a nothing, or an error message.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Poorman

Post by Poorman » Wed May 20, 2020 7:48 pm

Use monitors native resolution

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Wed May 20, 2020 7:49 pm

9 year old monitors actually can go "fuzzy" due to a weakening of the backlighting bulb. I have a very old school LCD that is getting darker and fuzzier over time (All the settings are matched and I am using VGA, but DVI doesn't help it). So if you are using the correct matching settings on the display driver for the monitor, it could just be getting "old".

tyrion

Post by tyrion » Wed May 20, 2020 7:54 pm

First of all, VGA cables can go bad. But it's a bit unusual. Supporting a site with 100+ monitors in that age range, I have only had to replace 1 VGA cable. I switched to DVI and it was much improved.

Second, it's probably a native resolution issue as others pointed out.

Third, just buy a new monitor. You're working in excel, get a 24" or 34" widescreen. You will be happy you did. It will be money well-spent if you're working on it most of the day.

At work I had a 22" monitor plus a laptop. When we switched to work-from-home 6 weeks ago I set up a 24" monitor (a 3-5 year old Dell) and it was noticeably better. Then I bought a 34" widescreen and I don't even bother opening the laptop any more. A nice monitor makes a huge difference.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed May 20, 2020 7:55 pm

I can notice the difference between VGA and DVI. But if DVI doesn't solve it, try scotch whiskey or a new monitor. Or both. :sharebeer

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Wed May 20, 2020 9:40 pm

Just buy a new monitor. It’s OK to buy a new monitor every 100 months.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

Patzer

Post by Patzer » Wed May 20, 2020 9:51 pm

CorradoJr wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 7:27 pm
I am using a newer HP Elitebook Folio with an external 9 year-old Asus monitor. Currently it has a proprietary HP dock connector to a VGA cable going to the monitor. The monitor only has DVI and VGA ports.

My laptop has both USB-C and a HDMI ports. Before I buy a newer, higher quality monitor, would using either the HDMI port or USB-C to a DVI cable improve the “fuzziness?”

In Excel things are not very crisp.
Secondly, would HDMI to DVI or USB-C to DVI provide the best picture quality?
You can get a 24 inch monitor for around $100, I highly recommend you upgrade.
If that is not in the budget, HDMI to DVI will probably get the best results.

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Wed May 20, 2020 11:51 pm

Years ago I "upgraded" my monitor to a no-name 32" widescreen LCD tv, with native VGA input. Less than $110. I will never go back to a "regular" monitor. I don't do any gaming, so maybe that might make a difference. But I now know why some people have dual or tri monitor setups. The extra "screen estate", even with just my single wide display, is better than sliced bread. Even with Nutella.

A family member just did the same for $100. But they went with HDMI between their computer & display. Now they also see the "light". (Bad pun intended.)

OP, if you have the physical space, would highly recommend you at least trial it.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

mhc

Post by mhc » Thu May 21, 2020 9:34 am

You can get a 43" 4k TV for about $350. Works great. Just a little tricky to get all the settings correct (mentioned above) to have crisp video. This is what several of us have done since we started working from home.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/ ... pc-monitor

retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen » Thu May 21, 2020 9:43 am

If you are going to upgrade. I would suggest you seriously consider buying 2 24" (or 23") monitors that are matched and set them side-by-side. I find the two surface approach more manageable for complex interactions!

There are tons of good 24" monitors under $199 each, some as cheap as $100 (but they all seem to be sold out right now!)

It is probably a lot cheaper than a 34" screen too.

A 27" can be a good compromise too and they seem a bit more available.