Buying tires for 2017 Subaru Outback

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
GingerandPiper

Buying tires for 2017 Subaru Outback

Post by GingerandPiper » Wed May 20, 2020 9:11 am

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before; but honestly, I can never find what I'm looking for in the search area. So please excuse if this topic has an earlier thread.

2017 Subaru Outback. Need new tires. Three quotes given by Discount Tire. Highest was Michelin - $839 all inclusive, tax and removing snows.

Next highest: Yokohama YK-HTX $727

Third: Pirelli Strada AS? $683.

I keep cars about 7 years.

I know nothing about tires. Help is most welcome.

Ginger

bloom2708

Re: Buying tires for 2017 Subaru Outback

Post by bloom2708 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:16 am

Snow or no snow/ice?

I have been putting Toyo Celsius on our cars for the past few years. We have snow/ice/bad winters.

Not a fan of Michelin. Too hard of a ride for me. I'd pick a Cooper or Toyo before those listed.

Tires are complicated by personal experience/bias. Most likely any of the tires you pick will be just fine.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:25 am

My daughter buys from Costco, my additional advice is check reviews on Tire Rack. I would also caution you about buying a tire on close out, maybe hard to duplicate the tire 2-3 years down the road, however that presents it's own concerns with the All-wheel drive system on Subaru's. I own an Impreza, and worked auto repair collision parts supply for decades. I recently looked for tires for daughter, an Avalon. I rated the Pirelli's I looked at, as a lesser option. The Michelin's were the Cross Climate +, seemed to be exceptional wet traction, the best of the lot. Noise was a concern it seemed. She has Blizzak's for winters here in Ohio, so I did not look at the snow/ice traction ratings well. Check the date codes to be sure the tires you buy have not sat on the rack for months. Also not a bad idea to check for recalls on your final three. I have Yoko's on my Impreza, with 47K, looks like another 10K maybe, however I would have pulled them prior to winter. I never go thru snow season with less than 4/32nds. Reduced trips with isolation in place, I may get to wait for spring of 2021.

KT785

Post by KT785 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:27 am

I had Michelin Premier A/S tires put on my 2017 Subaru Outback back in October; purchased/installed through Costco during one of their Michelin promotions--$766.55 out the door. Ride, noise, and grip is significantly better than the OEM Bridgestones.

KT785

Edit: corrected model name and price; conflated an install of same model tires on my wife's car in February.
Last edited by KT785 on Wed May 20, 2020 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Wed May 20, 2020 9:28 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:16 am
I'd pick a Cooper or Toyo before those listed.
I second the Cooper suggestion (never heard of Toyo).
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

VGisforme

Post by VGisforme » Wed May 20, 2020 9:34 am

Very hard to give advice when you don’t list all model information.

Do you intend to swap back to the snow tires in late Fall? I have a full set of secondary wheels for winter use makes it easy to swap at home rather than pay twice a year to have them rip off and smash on your sets.

Like others said use Tire Rack for ratings but you need the full tire model. All makers have winners and losers in their lineups.

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Wed May 20, 2020 9:38 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:16 am
Snow or no snow/ice?

I have been putting Toyo Celsius on our cars for the past few years. We have snow/ice/bad winters.

Not a fan of Michelin. Too hard of a ride for me. I'd pick a Cooper or Toyo before those listed.

Tires are complicated by personal experience/bias. Most likely any of the tires you pick will be just fine.
Coopers are a good option, nothing wrong with Toyo,s in my past experience. I am not a fan of the touring concept, prefering wet and snow traction combined with mileage and safety.

When we experienced ride vibrations from the LeSabre and Park Ave, in the late 90's and until those GM platforms were dropped, we had to swap out the Goodyear Conquests for Michelin Symmetry. Michelin builds a round tire. They also own BFG and Uniroyal. I would also like to add, check tire shopping posts on a forum dedicated to Outback owners.

jbmitt

Post by jbmitt » Wed May 20, 2020 9:39 am

Discount Tire is usually pretty reputable and widely available for tire repairs. Figure out if your quote is with or without their tire certificates. I believe they are for their own road hazard program. I’ve read that sometimes they may be willing to negotiate on the certificate price and that they match other tire shops.

I’ve bought my most recent tires from Costco. They only carry Michelin and Bridgestone, compared to a wider variety through Discount Tire. Both places seem to frequently be discussed on here, and usually in a positive manner.

With Subarus being all wheel drive. Make sure that you are replacing all four tires and rotating as recommended.

Topic Author
GingerandPiper

Post by GingerandPiper » Wed May 20, 2020 10:15 am

Snow tires: the ones I"m using are still good, I'm told. I just assumed I would put them back on in the fall and take off the new ones and put in storage for the winter.

I like Costco very much but a Costco is not convenient for me. I live kind of out in the "boonies" -

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed May 20, 2020 10:37 am

I had one of my Outback tires destroyed in an undisclosed remote rugged location. When I was able to limp back to a remote tire shop in a town with a population of about 50 people, they couldn't do anything for me and said it would take 3 weeks to get tires. I continued limping to a town with a population of 5,000 and found another tire shop with an Outback parked outside. The car belonged to the owner's wife and had Michelin tires on it. The place had some great shop dogs, too.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Gort

Post by Gort » Wed May 20, 2020 11:15 am

Agree with Morgan Dollar 1921...review these brands at Tirerack.com and read the customer reviews. You'll get much more information there as compared to this forum. Good luck!

KT785

Post by KT785 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:31 am

GingerandPiper wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:15 am
I like Costco very much but a Costco is not convenient for me. I live kind of out in the "boonies" -
Gotcha. If you're thinking of buying Michelins (or one of the other brands sold at Costco), you may want to track their promotions and then have your local place price match. While I buy tires at Costco as noted in my prior post, I believe Discount Tire (aka "America's Tire") will match Costco's prices for you . . . though YMMV.

KT785

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Wed May 20, 2020 12:09 pm

IMO, Discount/Americas Tire is awesome. Better deals than Costco, and will pricematch costco if not, plus allow you to use their store card for further rebate/discounts.
OP - be sure to go online to see all of the current deals/rebates at DT/AT
https://www.americastire.com/promotions
They should have some Memorial Day deals going on.

MrDrinkingWater

Post by MrDrinkingWater » Wed May 20, 2020 3:03 pm

I know a 2016 Subaru Outback owner. She bought Cooper brand tires at America's Tire / Discount Tire. She's very happy with the tires.

If your tire guy doesn't have the Cooper tires in stock, check to see if he can get them delivered in the next delivery he gets. Each store will have a slightly different inventory. I am fortunate to live a few miles from several America's Tires locations. In the past, I have gone over to the store that has the tires that I really wanted, got a special price deal that day, and did not want to wait for the tires to come to the other location that is 5 miles in the other direction from me.

The tires that your tire guy has are all fine choices, and the prices are good. I don't think you can go wrong buying tires there.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed May 20, 2020 3:23 pm

As a Subaru multi-offender, I say "leave the snows on all year round".

I do this currently with a 2013 Crosstrek.
I did this with a 1 year old CPO 2008 Outback where as part of the deal, I had the dealer put on some Dunlop Graspic DS3 snows. They were still on the car when we traded it in with 80k miles on it.

The rest of our Subarus (04 Outback, 01 2.5RS, 08 Legacy GT, 17 Legacy, 19 Crosstrek, 02 Outback, 07 WRX) all had used OEM Subaru wheels and snows for the winters and usually worn snows in the summer or in the case of cars that came new with summer/no-seasons, those.

I find that Craigslist can find wheels that fit from other cars. Aftermarket wheels tend to have large center bores, so fit anything. (wife's Legacy with 5x114.3 has used Motigi wheels with snows that were used from an Infinity G35). Depending on the year, you'll have 5x114.3 or 5x100 bolt patterns. Be sure the center bore fits. I forget if our Fusion wheels fit on the Legacy or not.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

DeskJumper

Post by DeskJumper » Wed May 20, 2020 4:18 pm

I put a set of Continental ControlContact tour's on my car two years ago. Had Michelin's previously. They are an exclusive to Discount Tire but there are comparable ones from the Continental line you can get everywhere. 30k miles into them, one brutal Minnesota winter. They are quiet and feel very sure in wet and slippery conditions. Best of all they are wearing very well so far and still look new. I rotate with every oil change at 5k and keep them at about 2-3 lbs higher than door pressure for better economy and feel for me. Rotations are free of charge at Discount Tire so the boglehead in me appreciates that. Keep an eye out for sales during the summer holidays. Memorial day weekend, 4th of July, labor day. I got a $75 rebate from Continental for 4th of July.

jbmitt

Post by jbmitt » Wed May 20, 2020 4:26 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:23 pm
As a Subaru multi-offender, I say "leave the snows on all year round".

I do this currently with a 2013 Crosstrek.
I did this with a 1 year old CPO 2008 Outback where as part of the deal, I had the dealer put on some Dunlop Graspic DS3 snows. They were still on the car when we traded it in with 80k miles on it.

The rest of our Subarus (04 Outback, 01 2.5RS, 08 Legacy GT, 17 Legacy, 19 Crosstrek, 02 Outback, 07 WRX) all had used OEM Subaru wheels and snows for the winters and usually worn snows in the summer or in the case of cars that came new with summer/no-seasons, those.

I find that Craigslist can find wheels that fit from other cars. Aftermarket wheels tend to have large center bores, so fit anything. (wife's Legacy with 5x114.3 has used Motigi wheels with snows that were used from an Infinity G35). Depending on the year, you'll have 5x114.3 or 5x100 bolt patterns. Be sure the center bore fits. I forget if our Fusion wheels fit on the Legacy or not.
Snow tires year round is a horrible idea. They wear out quickly in hot weather and then are bad when you need them. You're better off running an all season year round. I have purchased used winter tires and wheels off craigslist. It's a good resource for people who lease or trade in cars forgetting about the extra set of tires.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Thu May 21, 2020 11:51 am

I installed Firestone Weathergrip tires on our Forester this winter. Of course it had to be the year where we didn't get much snow.... anyways they are an all weather tire, which is a newer type meant to go year round. Something in between a true snow tire and all season but does include the snow flake mountain rating.

iowahokies

Post by iowahokies » Thu May 21, 2020 1:47 pm

I have 2013 Subaru Outback. I like the Michelin Premier A/S that was recommended in this thread; this is what I have on my Outback right now. Reading reviews on tirerack is a great suggestion as well. Most importantly, recognize that people in different parts of the country are looking for different functionality from their tires. I live in the Carolinas, so snow is not a concern.

wriley4409

Post by wriley4409 » Thu May 21, 2020 2:08 pm

I would tend to go with Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady in this application.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.js ... %20Premium

Laker1

Post by Laker1 » Thu May 21, 2020 3:07 pm

I would buy one of two tires...either a Michelin Defender T&H or a Nokian WRG4SUV. Both are good tires and either will give you great service. Toyo makes a great tire as well. Discount Tire will match anyones deal...so if you find a better deal take it to them and they will match it. Discount has always treated me and my clients great over the years. Costco has great tire service as well. Best of luck.

wilked

Post by wilked » Thu May 21, 2020 3:15 pm

Toyo Celcius or Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06

Sami

Post by Sami » Thu May 21, 2020 3:26 pm

wilked wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:15 pm
Toyo Celcius or Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06
You probably don't want ultra-high performance tires like the DWS 06 on an Outback, but you can't go wrong with some more comfortable Contis or the Goodyears recommended above. Make sure you take advantage of Discount Tire's promotions/rebates though. I saved >$100 by submitting a couple of rebate forms online the last time I bought a set of tires.

oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard » Thu May 21, 2020 3:43 pm

Nokian WRG4's year around. Sell the snows, or trade them in.
From my experience.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Thu May 21, 2020 7:02 pm

I think our next vehicle is 90% likely to be an Outback.
I think our replacement tires would be something like this:
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/ ... il/p/80783
Falken Wildpeak A/T
65k mi tread warranty
3 peak snow rated
A/T is heavier than I'd like*, but seems like a darn good do-it-all tire and $140ea

or https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/ ... ii/p/88420 Toyo Open Country
or https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/ ... 15/p/27625 Yoko Geo G015

*maybe not, same weight range as ASSURANCE WEATHERREADY. I'll geek out on specs even more once we actually buy an Outback and need tires LOL

illumination

Post by illumination » Thu May 21, 2020 9:37 pm

I've had good luck with Michelin, if you get an extra year out of them I think they've earned the extra cost. When I have had a warranty issue, it seems they were really easy about pro rating it.

Yokohama have been a crap shoot, the ones I have now though have held up well, but in the past I had ones that weren't great.

I used to always buy from Discount Tire, but I don't think it's the same company anymore and now go to Costco. Costco also gives a free hazard warranty if it gets a nail they can't repair. With Discount Tire you have to pay extra per tire for that.

CJC000

Post by CJC000 » Thu May 21, 2020 9:51 pm

2015 Outback Limited owner
COSTCO Michelin Premier LTX (225/60R 18) purchased 9/2018
Out the door price, after sale =$706 They have sales on Michelin currently
The car drove so much better than the OEM tires, still enjoying them
Recommend the Michelins and Costco unless your local tire guy can match the price

maroon

Post by maroon » Fri May 22, 2020 3:54 am

This is very much a personal preference issue. I used to have Michelin Premier A/S tires on my Forester. They were fine. These days I have the Continental Control Contact Tour tires and like them better than the Michelins for the money. I'm loyal to Discount Tire as they once fixed a leak - for free - on a tire I didn't even buy from them (an OEM tire).

I'm always interested in threads involving Subarus as I own one. :happy Good luck in your decision!

beyou

Post by beyou » Fri May 22, 2020 5:04 am

Wow surprising no mention of Goodyear.
I am on my 2nd Outback and 4th Subaru, and have used Goodyear as replacements for many years. These days I get their “Assurance WeatherReady” which are their best AllSeason tires. Good rating in tirerack site.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/ratings-re ... etail=true

johnny

Post by johnny » Fri May 22, 2020 5:20 am

+1 for Tirerack. You can have them shipped directly to a mechanic. Mounting and balancing usually run $20 per tire. Lots of reviews on the site and you can call them to make sure you are ordering the right thing.

When I have purchased directly from a tire place I worry that they are recommending whatever is leftover in stock.