Hot Tub hard water

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LoveTheBogle

Hot Tub hard water

Post by LoveTheBogle » Tue May 19, 2020 12:17 pm

My outdoor hot tub dries my skin out! I know that the city water is extremely ‘hard’ so inside our home we have a salt based water softener. What does one do for the hot tub? The hot tub manual specifically says not to use soft water from the house but then doesn’t offer any suggestion on softening the water.

Why would hard city water be better for the hot tub than water from a water softener?

Is there a method or chemicals or something to soften the water that is in the hot tub?

The hot tub dealer recommended some product but it didn’t say anything about softening water but was used for if your hot tub gets foam consistently (which mine does not at all).

curmudgeon

Re: Hot Tub hard water

Post by curmudgeon » Tue May 19, 2020 6:42 pm

Are you checking your water regularly? The "6-way" test strips will give you a picture of much more than just the chlorine levels. It may be that your water is getting out of balance in other ways (acidic, for example). There are treatments for various water adjustments. I wouldn't think hard water by itself would be an issue.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Tue May 19, 2020 6:42 pm

I know nothing about it but maybe this will help.
https://hottubworks.com/blog/hard-water ... -tubs.html

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Tue May 19, 2020 8:36 pm

1.Test your water and adjust PH etc. with chemicals as necessary
2. Perhaps your sanitizer type is bothering you or the level
Is too high (testing will tell you)
3. Shower and apply lotion afterwards

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Tue May 19, 2020 8:43 pm

Is the water too hot? Could be the problem. Does it has the osmosis light? We had one in the 90s, all I can think of.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue May 19, 2020 9:30 pm

If your water is too hard, the scaling can cause damage to the hot tub. If it is too soft, it can cause corrosion problems on some parts. This is the same for just about any water using appliance in your house so if you don't have problems elsewhere, the water is probably safe for your hot tub.

MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM » Wed May 20, 2020 9:48 am

You should be testing your water regularly to balance the chemicals. Daily is best, but at least weekly. Hopefully you have a good local pool store. They will test your water for free and tell you what to do. As you get more proficient, it is a simple matter to read the test strips and add the proper chemical. You will need to be able to tell the pool store how big your hot tub is or the number of gallons it holds so they can calibrate amounts.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed May 20, 2020 10:24 am

Join the Trouble Free Pool forum, get a proper test kit, and get your water in perfect balance. I don't have a hot tub, but many of the folks there do, and since starting to take control of my pool instead of buying whatever $$$ snake oil the pool store suggested, I've saved a TON of money and had far better results.

avenger

Post by avenger » Fri May 22, 2020 6:31 am

lazydavid wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:24 am
Join the Trouble Free Pool forum, get a proper test kit, and get your water in perfect balance. I don't have a hot tub, but many of the folks there do, and since starting to take control of my pool instead of buying whatever $$$ snake oil the pool store suggested, I've saved a TON of money and had far better results.
Agree with above. Troublefreepools.com is the bogleheads of pools. We are in the middle of a build. Putting in a plunge pool in our backyard in Chicago city proper. They have been invaluable, providing advice throughout the entire process. Get a proper testing kit from trouble free pools and post your problem there.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [3 fund portfolio: VTI, VXUS, SV fund (yield 3.01%)]