Discarding Music CDs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Caduceus

Discarding Music CDs

Post by Caduceus » Tue May 19, 2020 10:51 am

I have some music CDs that I'd like to either trash or just sell as one lot. If I should decide - in ten, or twenty, or thirty years time - that I really want to hear one of those songs, is it safe to assume I'd be able to hear it digitally in as good a quality as the CD?

I know there are lots of music streaming services these days like Spotify, but what I don't know is if there's some systematic effort out there in the world to digitize essentially most mainstream music (nothing too rare or esoteric) into good quality digital files. If so, I won't bother with ripping anything and will just toss them.

lthenderson

Re: Discarding Music CDs

Post by lthenderson » Tue May 19, 2020 10:55 am

I have some 600+ CD's ripped onto my computer. I discarded the jewel cases and liners and put the CD's themselves in archival sleeves and stacked in two shoe boxes. Since they barely take up much room at this point, I'm hanging onto them just in case one of my kids would like to have them someday.

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Tue May 19, 2020 11:00 am

If you want true lossless (FLAC or ALAC) you'll probably need to rip them yourself, as the major music vendors (iTunes Store, Amazon Music) sell compressed versions (MP3, AAC).

That said, the likelihood that you'll be able to tell the difference in quality is minimal at best. Streaming services are another story, they can be quite compressed.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Tue May 19, 2020 11:06 am

Caduceus wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:51 am
I have some music CDs that I'd like to either trash or just sell as one lot. If I should decide - in ten, or twenty, or thirty years time - that I really want to hear one of those songs, is it safe to assume I'd be able to hear it digitally in as good a quality as the CD?

I know there are lots of music streaming services these days like Spotify, but what I don't know is if there's some systematic effort out there in the world to digitize essentially most mainstream music (nothing too rare or esoteric) into good quality digital files. If so, I won't bother with ripping anything and will just toss them.
I haven’t estimated the percentage but an appreciable portion of the music in my CD collection is not available for digital purchase much less on streaming services.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue May 19, 2020 11:06 am

If you haven't already ripped the songs you want from the more "esoteric" CDs, you should probably go ahead and do that. I have some pretty non-mainstream CDs in my collection, and I wouldn't sell or trash those without ripping them first. Ripping a whole CD to MP3 files is very quick and easy these days, so IMHO it would be worth the little time you'd spend on it now, rather than searching for those rare, hard-to-find tracks later.

Also, I doubt selling them as one lot would be practical. Whose musical taste would match yours so precisely that they'd be willing to pay for your entire CD collection? I'd suggest either selling the more valuable ones individually, using an app like Decluttr, or offering them for, say, 50¢ each at a garage sale.

BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut » Tue May 19, 2020 11:11 am

Have you considered donating them to your local library?

I donated some CDs and DVDs to my library and they were ecstatic at getting the donation.

jeep5ter

Post by jeep5ter » Tue May 19, 2020 11:11 am

If you plan to get rid of the CDs, you should rip them into .wav files or flac files first. Those formats preserve all of the data, where mp3 files sacrifice some quality in return for smaller file size.

Topic Author
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Tue May 19, 2020 11:17 am

BBQ Nut wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:11 am

I donated some CDs and DVDs to my library and they were ecstatic at getting the donation.
I am sure the library would not want them. I had fairly atrocious tastes in music. You know, stuff like boybands and instrumental tracks to truly bad movies. Things like that. My fiance was excited when he found my CD collection and then after 10 minutes of flipping through them, he said, "I don't think we should get married" ... lol

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue May 19, 2020 11:22 am

That is a good point. Most of my 600+ CD collection comes from buying them at garage sales and such for pennies. If you are looking to get an appreciable amount of money by selling them, I might reconsider.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue May 19, 2020 11:25 am

I use TIDAL, which promises CD quality as a minimum, but also has MQA (Master Quality Assured ripped from masters). To be honest, I can only hear the difference on my Anthem/MartinLogan system, and then only sometimes); but then again, my ears are old.

I have 3 CDs that they don’t have, but they were very limited distribution. I ripped those onto a BlueOS server.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Flux

Post by Flux » Tue May 19, 2020 11:27 am

I made a quick judgement last year when I was cleaning out my trunk and found my case with ~100 cd's in it. I hadn't touched it in years. I threw it in the trash can and haven't thought about it since.

Afty

Post by Afty » Tue May 19, 2020 11:27 am

Mainstream music even from decades ago is readily available on streaming services like Spotify. If you wanted to check, you could do a free trial and see for yourself. Spotify I believe gives 3 free months to start.

BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut » Tue May 19, 2020 11:34 am

Caduceus wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:17 am
BBQ Nut wrote:

I am sure the library would not want them. I had fairly atrocious tastes in music. You know, stuff like boybands and instrumental tracks to truly bad movies. Things like that. My fiance was excited when he found my CD collection and then after 10 minutes of flipping through them, he said, "I don't think we should get married" ... lol
You don't know.

Sounds like you don't want to even try.

Kagord

Post by Kagord » Tue May 19, 2020 12:29 pm

Caduceus wrote:
hear it digitally in as good a quality as the CD?
Wow, you do realize CD quality is a pretty low bar you would ever want to subject your ears to interpret sound waves to. Though, I suppose the CD has an advantage in that you won't hear pops and crackles on a poorly maintained LP, CD quality is pretty abysmal. I wouldn't worry about tossing that garbage format, I would not donate so you can prevent any others being subjected to "CD quality".

My Marantz 2600 doesn't even have CD on the selector knob.

Chuck107

Post by Chuck107 » Tue May 19, 2020 12:32 pm

If you can store them away somewhere in some unused place, why not.

I still have my old 45's stored away from the 60's, :D
Haven't opened the box in over 30 yrs.
They haven't gotten in the way yet.

planetmike

Post by planetmike » Tue May 19, 2020 1:04 pm

I used to run a network of Internet radio stations featuring Christmas music. I had a few thousand CDs I had been sent by artists and labels, all ripped to my computer, labeled and tagged correctly for legal webcast. The original CDs and cases were stored in cardboard boxes in a corner of my basement. A few years ago we had a 200 year flood, and the basement got several inches of water. Insurance paid me replacement value for the non-salvageable CDs, almost five figures. I lost about half of my collection. Now the remaining CDs are in plastic crates, up off the floor, still in the basement corner.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Tue May 19, 2020 1:19 pm

planetmike wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:04 pm
I used to run a network of Internet radio stations featuring Christmas music.
Hey, me too.

Well, not a network of stations just two but I still have the CDs.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Tue May 19, 2020 1:40 pm

My large CD collection is mostly classical music that I purchased in the 1990s and early 2000s. The thought of trying to put them on digital files in a computer seems overwhelming. I worry about the sound quality and about the ability to keep the tracks together for multi-movement musical works. So far, I'm still playing them on a CD player purchased in 1995 connected to a tuner/amplifier purchased in 2002 connected to speakers also purchased in 2002. I wonder what will happen when one of those components fails. Will I be able to replace it? I have also heard that CDs manufactured in the 1980s through the mid 1990s can oxidize and lose their ability to be played. I've only stumbled across a few of those in my collection, but they prove that a CD is not forever (as they were advertised in the 1980s when they began replacing LPs).

bt365

Post by bt365 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:41 pm

Wow, you do realize CD quality is a pretty low bar you would ever want to subject your ears to interpret sound waves to. Though, I suppose the CD has an advantage in that you won't hear pops and crackles on a poorly maintained LP, CD quality is pretty abysmal. I wouldn't worry about tossing that garbage format, I would not donate so you can prevent any others being subjected to "CD quality".

Rather opinionated? Your post would be opening a can-of-worms on audio focused forum, but likely you'll escape wrath on BH forum. Have owned vinyl and digital audio systems in my younger decades that cost as much as pretty decent sports car. Talking Esoteric, Palmer, Devialet, Harbeth, Lumin, etc. My take is both vinyl and digital playback can excel or disappoint.
In (emphasis) general, think more care taken in producing for vinyl than Compact Disc. Though one needs to say this with caveat. Have listened to atrocious vinyl records and lovely CD/SACD's and vice versa. Compression certainly is an issue with many CD's. Mixing/mastering so that CD sounds OK in a vehicle disc player, while being acceptable played back on a home disc player is a challenge. What I like most about vinyl is how many titles are available on vinyl that cannot be found on digital discs. This has been lessened to some extent in that more recordings previously only available on vinyl, are now available for download.
What I like second most about vinyl is that compression is seldom an issue. I've heard all iterations of Mile Davis's "Kind of Blue." For that title, one cannot exceed the best vinyl versions on sound quality regardless of equipment (SS or tube) used. The SACD versions, in mono and stereo, do not sound as good. In general I've found over many decades of music listening, mastering of classical recordings is overall better listening experience than listening to many pop/popular recordings regardless be they on vinyl or disc. All this babble cannot escape the criticism that, "there's few more gullible than hard core audiophiles." I sold my expensive audio gear years ago as my hearing worsened. My music library is huge, but headphone listening only for me these days.
https://www.npr.org/2020/05/11/847834279
Last edited by bt365 on Tue May 19, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue May 19, 2020 1:55 pm

I think it is ridiculous, but I am just going to say it for the record (pun unintentional). It is the stated position of the RIAA that you do not have the right to listen to a digital copy of the music on a CD if you are not in physical position of the CD.

I once wrote to them saying that I wanted to clean up clutter by disposing of my physical CDs, and could I ship them my physical CDs and have receive a license certifying that I had the legal right to continue listening to my digital copies. They declined to reply.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt » Tue May 19, 2020 2:18 pm

:x
lthenderson wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:55 am
I have some 600+ CD's ripped onto my computer. I discarded the jewel cases and liners and put the CD's themselves in archival sleeves and stacked in two shoe boxes. Since they barely take up much room at this point, I'm hanging onto them just in case one of my kids would like to have them someday.
I started this process, got it down to this and decided I could live with it :-)

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Tue May 19, 2020 3:11 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:55 pm
I think it is ridiculous, but I am just going to say it for the record (pun unintentional). It is the stated position of the RIAA that you do not have the right to listen to a digital copy of the music on a CD if you are not in physical position of the CD.

I once wrote to them saying that I wanted to clean up clutter by disposing of my physical CDs, and could I ship them my physical CDs and have receive a license certifying that I had the legal right to continue listening to my digital copies. They declined to reply.
Ok, I won’t advocate for anyone doing this, but I am hereby admitting to committing the crime of ripping all my CDs about five years ago to FLAC and MP3 format (there are rippers that can do multiple formats in one shot). I then dropped off boxes of CDs in their original cases at my local library donation desk. I don’t think they use donations for the collection, but instead offer them for sale at their used book/media sales.

I rarely buy music these days, but I have bought a few new CDs (who were then subjected to the same process).

rob

Post by rob » Tue May 19, 2020 3:34 pm

On the topic: Drop them off at goodwill - they list and sell a lot of stuff and over time will get some $$ for them. You never know - stranger might be more $ :-)

If I select all MP3's and hit play = Longer than any optomistic projection of my lifetime :shock:
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

Bogle7

RIP + Freecycle

Post by Bogle7 » Tue May 19, 2020 3:37 pm

1. Rip to FLAC. (15 minutes per CD)
2. If you are a nerd, then photograph the CD cover and liner notes. (20 min)
3. If you are a total nerd, then find the lyrics and create a text file for each song. (1+ hour)
4. Freecycle.
5. Save multiple copies of the digital files.
6. When you have to, convert a FLAC copy to the format required by the player.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Tue May 19, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

telemark

Post by telemark » Tue May 19, 2020 3:52 pm

In theory, anything that's on CD now should be easily available forever and ever, since the hard work of digital mastering has already been done. In practice that doesn't seem to be the case, especially for the more obscure albums with limited commercial appeal. You might search around on Amazon Music and some other streaming services to get an idea of how much of your collection is available now. And a lot of LPs never got transferred to digital, but that's not the question you're asking.

Another thing. I remember reading once, I think it was on Rhapsody's web site, that "our rips are better than yours." Ha ha. My rips don't have missing tracks, or tracks that quit in the middle, or loud clicks at the end of tracks. I tag better, too.

tcassette

Post by tcassette » Tue May 19, 2020 5:44 pm

Kagord wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:29 pm
Caduceus wrote:

How about pops and clicks on excellently maintained LPs that came that way when new? Or wavy, or off-center LPs? Not to mention the lack of bass and separation on most mainstream vinyl.

Vinyl snobs are the worst. :?

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:00 pm

I donated to charity many years ago. Have iTunes.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Tue May 19, 2020 6:58 pm

planetmike wrote:
A few years ago we had a 200 year flood, and the basement got several inches of water. Insurance paid me replacement value for the non-salvageable CDs, almost five figures. I lost about half of my collection. Now the remaining CDs are in plastic crates, up off the floor, still in the basement corner.
I thought CDs being made of plastic would be nearly indestructible, at least if under water.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Tue May 19, 2020 7:11 pm

Kagord wrote:
Caduceus wrote:

Yeah, but can you hook an 8 track deck to it?

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Tue May 19, 2020 7:17 pm

Chuck107 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:32 pm
If you can store them away somewhere in some unused place, why not.

I still have my old 45's stored away from the 60's, :D
Haven't opened the box in over 30 yrs.
They haven't gotten in the way yet.
I agree. But then I still have all of my vinyl albums from high school, along with my original and still working Sony turntable, Audio Technica cartridge (replaced the needle once) and Pioneer receiver.

Someday those CDs maybe be vintage.

badbreath

Post by badbreath » Tue May 19, 2020 7:47 pm

sell your CDs to declutter.com you won't get much but something
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

goingup

Post by goingup » Tue May 19, 2020 7:54 pm

badbreath wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:47 pm
I'd love to sell our old CDs somewhere. I don't think declutter.com is an active website anymore. Any other suggestions?

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:31 pm

I have enjoyed decluttering our non financial lives. One big aspect was removing the CDs, DVDs, VHS, and so forth.

We are using all streaming and it is so much easier and better in my opinion. Between Netflix, Apple, Hulu, and Amazon, there is more content than time to watch.

I own music from iTunes and a few movies from Apple as well.

There eis also YouTube.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue May 19, 2020 9:40 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:11 pm
nisiprius wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:55 pm

Ok, I won’t advocate for anyone doing this, but I am hereby admitting to committing the crime of ripping all my CDs about five years ago to FLAC and MP3 format (there are rippers that can do multiple formats in one shot). I then dropped off boxes of CDs in their original cases at my local library donation desk. I don’t think they use donations for the collection, but instead offer them for sale at their used book/media sales.

I rarely buy music these days, but I have bought a few new CDs (who were then subjected to the same process).
I will note for clarity, not for either criticism or advocacy of what it is possible to get away with, that passing a disc along for another person to use while retaining a copy for your own use, does violate the license, in a distinct manner from the situation nisiprius ranted about. I agree the scenario nisiprius describes is ridiculous.

CascadiaSoonish

Post by CascadiaSoonish » Tue May 19, 2020 9:47 pm

goingup wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:54 pm
badbreath wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:47 pm
I'd love to sell our old CDs somewhere. I don't think declutter.com is an active website anymore. Any other suggestions?
Decluttr, not Declutter.

https://www.decluttr.com/

I sold a couple hundred CDs to them over the years. Recommend their service. I regret selling some of the more obscure and out of print stuff but otherwise I like the fact that they (theoretically) are selling the CDs to people who want them, keeping them out of a landfill somewhere.

badbreath

Post by badbreath » Wed May 20, 2020 1:10 am

badbreath wrote: ↑Tue May 19, 2020 8:47 pm

of corse they have to use .com spelling its

decluttr.com
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Wed May 20, 2020 8:55 am

Caduceus wrote:

The issue is copyright.

CD you have bought the copyright (legal use in that form, indefinitely). As long as you do not mass copy, sell or distribute then you are fine for your own use (I forget whether it is Europe or USA where it is technically illegal to "rip" a CD; as long as you do not in any way distribute or file share then you should still be OK).

So before I destroyed the CD I would make sure I had ripped it, in a low-loss format, to your hard drive, and replicated that in at least one place on the cloud. Maybe in a separate hard drive as well - although the odds of your being able to read that in 20 years time are quite low (anyone remember Zip Drives? Iomega?).

Easy to imagine that in 30 years you won't have access to that particular track due to some legal issue with copyright OR that it will only be available at an exorbitant cost. You might find it is only available in China, say, and not in the USA.

Netflix was founded on the depth of its back catalogue of films. Over time, they have dropped that feature, since it was a small part of the business. There are plenty of old films and TV shows that are just not available.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Wed May 20, 2020 9:22 am

bt365 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:41 pm

CDs are unequivocally higher quality than any vinyl recording. It's simply inherent in the respective technologies. The sound waves being played back will be a closer match to the live recording- it's just a fact. HOWEVER, some people have a strong aesthetic preference for the distortion caused by vinyl, and there's nothing wrong with that. The source also matters. It's true that many albums that were initially released on vinyl were subject to remastering that often increased the "loudness" and eliminated a lot of the dynamic range.

Since recorded music is an aesthetic preference, everyone an have their own valid opinion, but in terms of objective fidelity the importance of the various items in a sound system goes something like this (assuming reasonable variations in source quality):

Speakers ------------------------>Room acoustics---------------->Source Quality--> Amplifier/DAC ---------------------------------------------------->Analog cables------------>Lossy vs lossless compression format---------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Digital cables

An outrageously weak link could be an exception. Using a coat hanger for an analog cable would destroy quality, and a totally messed with source or sueper low-fi streaming service could similarly completely wreck things.

As far as getting rid of physical media. I ripped all of my recordings to 256 variable bitrate MP3s back in the Mid 00's and staked the physical media in a closet, never to be seen again. The purists may scoff at "lossy Mp3", but unlike many of the purists, I performed blind testing on various encoding formats before encoding. I could not beat chance with any MP3 recorded at 256 or better (vs WAV, FLAC, or high bitrate AAC), so there was no reason to take up more drive space with a higher rate or proprietary format.

Chaconne

Post by Chaconne » Wed May 20, 2020 10:37 am

vitaflo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:00 am
That said, the likelihood that you'll be able to tell the difference in quality is minimal at best.
That statement would start an all-out brawl on some forums I frequent! :happy

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed May 20, 2020 11:40 am

According to my PC, I have 391 GB (420,614,741,538 bytes) of music, 13,669 songs, 1067 CDs.

My normal routine when I buy a new CD, or I receive one from someone, I rip it lossless, and that is the last time the CD is handled, the CDs are all in several boxes, still in their jewel cases. People know I can always be receptive to accept their CDs they no longer desire to own.

I really, really should stop the nonsense and just sign up for a high quality (as if my old ears would know it) streaming service. :oops:

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

22twain

Re: RIP + Freecycle

Post by 22twain » Wed May 20, 2020 12:12 pm

Bogle7 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 3:37 pm
1. Rip to FLAC. (15 minutes per CD)
2. If you are a nerd, then photograph the CD cover and liner notes. (20 min)
3. If you are a total nerd, then find the lyrics and create a text file for each song. (1+ hour)
I guess I'm an uber-nerd because I scan the booklet pages, tweak them in Photoshop, and make a PDF file that replicates the booklet. This is by far the most time-consuming step for me. I do a few pages at a time, alternating with doing other stuff on the computer. Right now I'm working on a 32-page booklet that will probably take about three days to finish. I'm retired so I have lots of time. 8-)

With classical music, the booklets usually have a lot of information in them, often in multiple languages. Sometimes I can download PDFs from the labels' sites, but this is usually only for recordings made in the past 10-15 years. I have CDs going back to the mid 1980s. Some of the labels no longer exist.
Help save endangered words! When you write "princiPLE", make sure you don't really mean "princiPAL"!

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed May 20, 2020 12:28 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:40 pm
I will note for clarity, not for either criticism or advocacy of what it is possible to get away with, that passing a disc along for another person to use while retaining a copy for your own use, does violate the license, in a distinct manner from the situation nisiprius ranted about. I agree the scenario nisiprius describes is ridiculous.
No disagreement. Though I do wonder if I would be allowed to pass a ripped CD along to another person who happens to be a vinyl fanatic without CD player of any kind, for use as a coaster. :)

planetmike

Post by planetmike » Wed May 20, 2020 2:57 pm

atikovi wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:58 pm
planetmike wrote:
A few years ago we had a 200 year flood, and the basement got several inches of water. Insurance paid me replacement value for the non-salvageable CDs, almost five figures. I lost about half of my collection. Now the remaining CDs are in plastic crates, up off the floor, still in the basement corner.
I thought CDs being made of plastic would be nearly indestructible, at least if under water.
The CDs that didn't have a paper cover in the plastic case were fine after being dried off. But the cardboard/paper inserts and covers or jackets stuck to the CD with fine little fibers, making the CD a mess. They probably sat for 2-3 days until we could get started on trying to save them. Maybe if we had been quicker we could have saved them, but getting the water out of the basement was a higher priority the first couple days.

Bronko

Post by Bronko » Wed May 20, 2020 3:45 pm

jeep5ter wrote:
If you plan to get rid of the CDs, you should rip them into .wav files or flac files first. Those formats preserve all of the data, where mp3 files sacrifice some quality in return for smaller file size.
Good intel.
Never let a little bit of money get in the way of a real good time.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed May 20, 2020 5:41 pm

Kagord wrote:
Caduceus wrote:

Since I failed even the comparison test of listening to 192 kbps MP3s versus WAV on decent quality Sony over-the-ear headphones, I'm not going to bother complaining about CD quality unless and until I have the hardware or the ears that can even appreciate whatever CD's lose.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed May 20, 2020 6:32 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:40 pm
My large CD collection is mostly classical music that I purchased in the 1990s and early 2000s. The thought of trying to put them on digital files in a computer seems overwhelming. I worry about the sound quality and about the ability to keep the tracks together for multi-movement musical works. So far, I'm still playing them on a CD player purchased in 1995 connected to a tuner/amplifier purchased in 2002 connected to speakers also purchased in 2002. I wonder what will happen when one of those components fails. Will I be able to replace it? I have also heard that CDs manufactured in the 1980s through the mid 1990s can oxidize and lose their ability to be played. I've only stumbled across a few of those in my collection, but they prove that a CD is not forever (as they were advertised in the 1980s when they began replacing LPs).
Component availability to play CD's will eventually be a concern, but I'd guesstimate we're at least a decade away from having trouble finding new, much less used CD players of some form (eg - high end component players, USB-connected PC-oriented drivers, or Bluray players).

It's still not a bad idea to get started slowly digitizing your collection, to give yourself extra options for the future, and as a backup in case your discs are damaged (worst case is a disaster like a fire, in which case, only an off-site backup gives you much assurance of saving your media).

For file management, I like to sort discs into folders labelled by artist/composer and album title, and create matching playlists. The playlists make it easy to listen to an album of multiple tracks as one work.

Regarding CD longevity, they all will wear out over time. I don't know if there was a significant improvement after mid-90's, although there have been different recording layer compositions in use over time, between different brands, and for different types (pressed ROM's, CD-R's and CD-RW's), each with differing life expectancies

Generally, the assumption is pressed CD-ROM's last the longest, then archival quality CD-R's, consumer grade CD-R's, and lastly, CD-RW's. Storage conditions are known to affect lifespan. What little research I've read seems to indicate archival quality CD-R's perform very similarly to pressed CD-ROM's. Very high temperatures and humidities, as well as significantly varying temperatures and humidities, and light exposure all reduce life expectancy.

My anecdotal evidence is that even consumer grade CD-R's have pretty decent life in harsh conditions. My car only has a CD player and radio, so I still keep a wallet of CD's in it that I burned on consumer-grade CD-R's over a period that I think covered roughly 12-16 years ago. That wallet has spent at least 90% of that time in the car, with temperatures ranging from 15 degrees to certainly well over 100 degrees, and humidity ranging from probably 20% to 100%. The wallet is at least good light protection.

In short, these discs have been abused. All of those discs still play, although some have developed skipping in parts over the last couple of years. I assume kept in normal indoor storage conditions, the life would be several times as long.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu May 21, 2020 9:47 am

alfaspider wrote:Speakers ------------------------>Room acoustics---------------->Source Quality--> Amplifier/DAC ---------------------------------------------------->Analog cables------------>Lossy vs lossless compression format---------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Digital cables
Sorry, but I have to disagree. Assuming modern reasonable speakers, I think room acoustics often play a much larger than people assume. It’s an unsexy part of music reproduction, and doesn’t have much brag potential, but it’s important. I’ve heard wonderful speakers sound like crap because of the room acoustics. And, as opposed to the other things on your list, it’s not subtle.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Thu May 21, 2020 10:34 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:47 am
alfaspider wrote:Speakers ------------------------>Room acoustics---------------->Source Quality--> Amplifier/DAC ---------------------------------------------------->Analog cables------------>Lossy vs lossless compression format---------------------------------------------------------------------------------> Digital cables
Sorry, but I have to disagree. Assuming modern reasonable speakers, I think room acoustics often play a much larger than people assume. It’s an unsexy part of music reproduction, and doesn’t have much brag potential, but it’s important. I’ve heard wonderful speakers sound like crap because of the room acoustics. And, as opposed to the other things on your list, it’s not subtle.
I suppose it depends on the range of variation. If you are talking about within high quality speakers, you are probably right. But if you are talking the difference between your iphone built in speakers and a $10,000 pair of audiophile grade speakers, the speakers will make a bigger difference from the room. It also depends on the range of room variation you are talking about.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu May 21, 2020 11:12 am

alfaspider wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:34 am
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:47 am
I suppose it depends on the range of variation. If you are talking about within high quality speakers, you are probably right. But if you are talking the difference between your iphone built in speakers and a $10,000 pair of audiophile grade speakers, the speakers will make a bigger difference from the room. It also depends on the range of room variation you are talking about.
Granted. But, let’s consider the range between my beloved MartinLogans and a pair of Bose whatever-the-model. An untreated or substandard room can make my MLs image no better than the Bose, can muddy the transient response, etc. I picked Bose, btw, not so much to slag them as to use them as an example of moderately competent speakers that most readers are familiar with. Less variation than iPhone vs audiophile, but still meaningful.

Anyway, we agree overall. I mentioned it because my old active Linns were probably held back more by the room than anything else. I am late to the room treatment party.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu May 21, 2020 11:15 am

Kagord wrote:
Caduceus wrote:

Cool flex. What food do you eat?