Ring video doorbell question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
seashell

Ring video doorbell question

Post by seashell » Mon May 18, 2020 9:01 pm

I'm considering buying a Ring video doorbell so I can see when packages are delivered, as the delivery people sometimes don't knock or ring the doorbell. Can anyone tell me if the Ring video doorbell can see straight down, to view packages that are left directly under the camera? Also, I'd be happy to hear any good or bad experiences with this or any similar doorbell camera.

lazydavid

Re: Ring video doorbell question

Post by lazydavid » Mon May 18, 2020 9:16 pm

It doesn't look straight down if you just mount it in the standard way. But there is a wedge (included with some models, but also available separately) that you could use to tilt it down about 15 degrees. I don't know if that would be enough to see something directly underneath.

But I don't know why you would need to see the exact spot where the package is. Set it to alert/record on motion in addition to doorbell events, and you'll see your packages being delivered anyway.

Just last week I replaced a 4.5 year old first-gen doorbell with the Doorbell 3 plus, because my battery was starting to fade (mine is not hardwired) and I wanted the new PreRoll feature (which is only on the plus). This records--but does not upload--a continuous loop of low-res black and white video all day long (but not at night). Then when there is a motion alert or bell ring event, six seconds of this video gets prepended to the normal video recording from that event. So when I get a package, my video now starts when the delivery person is halfway up the driveway, transitions into 1080p when he/she gets to the front porch, and ends about the time they drive away.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon May 18, 2020 10:29 pm

Ring doorbells just have one camera. As already pointed out, you can install wedges behind the Ring to get the camera to point more downwards, but then you'll have a limited field of view for people approaching the door. I have my Ring installed without wedges and it cannot see packages placed below the doorbell.

There is also the Kuna/Maximus Answer doorbell which has two cameras, one pointed down for packages and one pointed outwards to monitor people approaching the door. I have not personally tried this product, but I'm not aware of another big-name video doorbell that has two cameras so you can monitor packages.

go_mets

Post by go_mets » Mon May 18, 2020 10:32 pm

seashell wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:01 pm
I'm considering buying a Ring video doorbell so I can see when packages are delivered, as the delivery people sometimes don't knock or ring the doorbell. Can anyone tell me if the Ring video doorbell can see straight down, to view packages that are left directly under the camera? Also, I'd be happy to hear any good or bad experiences with this or any similar doorbell camera.
You can mount it to give you that view, but that is not how people use it.

But it is good about giving you notification of someone approaching the door.

Maybe buy the original Ring Doorbell and put it in another location and use the LiveView feature in the Ring app to get confirmation.

peetsperk

Post by peetsperk » Mon May 18, 2020 10:42 pm

You might want to do some homework on other video doorbells as well. Ring has a number of competitors that make excellent alternatives. We recently installed a Eufy. Love their system. Especially like the fact that Eufy includes video storage capability so you don't need to pay a monthly cloud storage fee. Video is high quality and their system is able to differentiate between a human and an animal like a dog, cat, or squirrel to reduce false alerts.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Tue May 19, 2020 2:34 am

I had a ring 2 and never could get the motion sensor to work right for me, plus you have to pay to record videos. I just replaced it with the eufy system and it is working much better. It comes with a local box that connects the doorbell to your WiFi and stores the video locally for no fee. You might get a Wyze cam for a separate mount to do what you want.
https://www.eufylife.com/products/604/6 ... CwQAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Wyze-Indoor-Wire ... 196&sr=8-2

Topic Author
seashell

Post by seashell » Tue May 19, 2020 5:29 am

Thank you so much! Your replies were incredibly helpful and I really appreciate it!

Tubes

Post by Tubes » Tue May 19, 2020 6:16 am

I was an early user of the Ring Doorbell Pro. It worked fine, for about a year and a half. Then it failed. The first symptom was people pressing the button would not cause the doorbell to go off. Then a short time later, video failed.

A search shows this is a common issue for those devices that get a lot of hot sun. There's a lot of info out there by the geeks as to what goes wrong which I won't get into here.

I think the device is well suited if you have a protected portico that doesn't expose it to extreme sun heat. Otherwise, I'd look elsewhere.

I've since replaced it with a traditional NVR and IP camera system using hardwired cameras with POE. I still get notifications and also have an app on my phone to review video or watch live. It is not nearly as user friendly as Ring, but it works well and can withstand the elements. I have two cameras, one looking right up the sidewalk from street to door, and the other is a side-look that shows if a package is sitting there. This system is not perfect either, but it gets the job done without relying on somebody's cloud storage and monthly fee. Of course, if thieves break in and take the NVR, I'm out of luck, except for the snapshots I have it send to my email account which record one single frame per event.

rhanna

Post by rhanna » Tue May 19, 2020 7:47 am

I can barely see a small portion of my porch but the packages are not usually delivered in that area. I have the wedge installed.

I installed a ring doorbell and a security camera a few months ago. We pay 100 per year for monitoring and I think I might buy the security system since the 100 covers all device monitoring for the entire year.

The only thing that's been annoying to me was I had to replace my wifi mesh because the cheap mesh system I had didn't play nice with Ring.
I also had to get a replacement security camera (for free) because the one I bought would drain the battery within a week. The replacement still isn't going to go for 6-12 months but its a lot better. I might just by the electric cord so I don't have to worry about replacing the battery every 2 months. They did send a free battery first but that didn't solve the problem. I did end up with a free battery out of it. IT's funny that they would send a free battery and a replacement camera but they wouldn't send me the power cord when I asked.

tev9876

Post by tev9876 » Tue May 19, 2020 8:01 am

Consider the spotlight cam instead of the doorbell. I replaced the "jelly jar" front porch light with one and can see most of the porch, including the edge of the front door, my entire front yard, the yard of the neighbor to the right and four houses across the street. My trigger zone only goes to the sidewalk and driveway as I don't care about every car that drives by or the neighbors mowing the lawn. It can tilt/swivel in whatever direction you want.

The video is better than what I have seen from the doorbell and it has the advantage of true color at night when the lights come on. The initial cost is a bit more but the annual cost is the same. My only complaint is false trips on squirrels, rabbits, cats, flagpole shadows and car headlight reflections on rainy nights.

akblizzard

Post by akblizzard » Tue May 19, 2020 10:08 am

seashell wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 9:01 pm
Or download the UPS and Fed Ex apps to your phone. You will get a text the day prior to a delivery with an estimated time of arrival. Another text when the package is placed at your door.

IMO

Post by IMO » Wed May 20, 2020 2:59 am

I have a ring doorbell and 3 other separate video camera's (3 different brands). The one that fails to always work/connect in a very timely fashion is my ring doorbell. It's not an issue of the internet signal as it's much closer to the router than a couple of the other camera's or a few other internet based home products. Also, for some reason, it doesn't self charge on the existing wiring like it should. Both of those things make for some frustration. But overall it does provide a decent view of my front door.