What kind of sunglasses?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
oldfort

Re: What kind of sunglasses?

Post by oldfort » Tue May 19, 2020 11:35 am

Maui Jim or Oakleys. An optometrist told me no one can see through your eyes but you. On a similar note, your best strategy, unless you need prescription sunglasses, is to go a store and try on a lot of different brands.

Wyatt007

Post by Wyatt007 » Tue May 19, 2020 11:36 am

KT785 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:23 am
While I have a pair of Ray-Bans that I keep in my car (received as a gift), my main go-to for sunglasses are made by Goodr. They're designed/marketed as running sunglasses (they're lightweight and don't slip or bounce) but ultimately, they're just simple and relatively inexpensive (around $25) polarized sunglasses.

While I run 50+ miles a week with mine (I have several pair), my wife and mom also wear them because of how comfortable they are. Added benefit is that if I lose or break them while on a run, it's not as painful as a $100+ pair of Ray-Ban, etc.

If you're looking to try on a pair, I'd call around to your local running stores as most carry the brand in my experience.

KT785
+1 for Goodr. After losing my favorite pair of Raybans on a golf course and then having a second pair spontaneously break in half, I have switched to these and been very pleased.

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Tue May 19, 2020 12:27 pm

mak1277 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:19 pm
Anyway, for the OP, if you're going to step up away from gas station shades, definitely look for something with polarized lenses.
Polarized lenses are great, but there are also downsides to them, which is the reason that many high end sunglasses intentionally do not include polarization. Polarization helps to reduce glare, but affects depth perception. Hence, the reason that a lot of sports that use balls (baseball, golf, etc...) tend not to use polarized lenses, which can make it harder to judge the location of the ball. The same is frequently true for cycling and mountain biking. Tennis players who do use sunglasses frequently opt for the non-polarized ones as well (particularly since glare tends not to be a significant issue in tennis).

Swarm Trap

Post by Swarm Trap » Tue May 19, 2020 1:18 pm

I really like the Maui Jim Twin Falls. Yes, these are double your budget, but they are so comfortable and the lenses cannot be beat. Unfortunately I lose glasses all the time, and can't justify replacing them. An alternative for me that works well are Suncloud sunglasses. I like their brown or rose lenses. These make great dusk and dawn lenses. I do not like dark lenses. You must try them on though. Having glasses that fit properly is more important than having great lenses. You'd likely have a retailer near you, but i'm not sure how that works now. Happy hunting!

RonSwanson

Post by RonSwanson » Tue May 19, 2020 1:21 pm

Maui Jim for the win!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue May 19, 2020 1:25 pm

I bought some Maui Jim's after lots of recommendations here in the past. Mine are prescription, progressive, polarized, extra dark, wrap-around, and the rest of the works. They cost a small fortune, but they are the best pair of glasses I have ever had. Part of that might be that I had a great eye exam and got a superb prescription even though I've been to the same doctor for 25 years. Another part is that these sunglasses are the only pair of glasses that I get compliments about when I wear them.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

xtracrispy1031

Post by xtracrispy1031 » Tue May 19, 2020 1:48 pm

Ray Ban Wayfarers all day. Timeless, classic. Look good now and in another 20 years.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue May 19, 2020 2:02 pm

Several years ago I had cataract surgery on both eyes. The eye surgeon gave me some utility type sunglasses to get the eyes used to the change. Months later I upgraded to a wrap around and 99% or so polarized pair I saw at a gas station, cost me less than $20. Next visit at the eye surgeon I showed him my new sun glasses and he fully approved.

crumbgrabber

Post by crumbgrabber » Tue May 19, 2020 2:39 pm

Wyatt007 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:36 am
KT785 wrote:
While I have a pair of Ray-Bans that I keep in my car (received as a gift), my main go-to for sunglasses are made by Goodr. They're designed/marketed as running sunglasses (they're lightweight and don't slip or bounce) but ultimately, they're just simple and relatively inexpensive (around $25) polarized sunglasses.

While I run 50+ miles a week with mine (I have several pair), my wife and mom also wear them because of how comfortable they are. Added benefit is that if I lose or break them while on a run, it's not as painful as a $100+ pair of Ray-Ban, etc.

If you're looking to try on a pair, I'd call around to your local running stores as most carry the brand in my experience.

KT785
+1 for Goodr. After losing my favorite pair of Raybans on a golf course and then having a second pair spontaneously break in half, I have switched to these and been very pleased.
Goodr’s are great! Another benefit of these is that they’re unisex and they happen to fit both my wife and I. We have 4-5 pairs in various places (cars, bags) and it works well to have pairs handy and interchangeable between us.

kevinf

Post by kevinf » Tue May 19, 2020 6:33 pm

davebo wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:07 am
Maui Jim's seem to be pretty popular! I am not specifically looking for name brand sunglasses, but here is what I've noticed about buying cheap ones:

1) They scratch more easily/they break more easily.
2) They are too dark for me. Not sure if this is because they are cheap or what. I find myself lifting the glasses up a lot.
  • High-end sunglasses will have a quality scratch-resistant coating if plastic or be made of glass that doesn't scratch easily.
  • High-end sunglasses will have a quality anti-reflective coating on the backside of the lens to reduce the washout or glare effect that makes glasses seem too dark.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:23 am

"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

rec630

Post by rec630 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:33 pm

I used to always wear RayBans after I moved up from the really cheap pairs. It is amazing what a quality pair of sunglasses can do for your vision. And now Maui Jims have replaced my RayBans even though pricey. Biggest complaint is when my lens RX changes, it can be difficult to get new lenses if the model has been discontinued.

batpot

Post by batpot » Thu May 21, 2020 10:38 pm

Dubery brand, China special from Amazon

batpot

Post by batpot » Thu May 21, 2020 10:40 pm

crumbgrabber wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:39 pm
Wyatt007 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:36 am
KT785 wrote:

KT785
Goodr’s are great! Another benefit of these is that they’re unisex and they happen to fit both my wife and I. We have 4-5 pairs in various places (cars, bags) and it works well to have pairs handy and interchangeable between us.
Thanks!
I'll try these when my daily drivers eventually get scratched or crushed beyond repair.

cogito

Post by cogito » Thu May 21, 2020 11:15 pm

KT785 wrote:

KT785
+1

Wirecutter did an article on great, cheap sunglasses, I ended up purchasing two pairs from goodr, and I like them more than my expensive Raybans that fell apart.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... unglasses/

FrankLUSMC

Post by FrankLUSMC » Fri May 22, 2020 8:26 am

I've had several pair of these, my last pair has lasted 3 years.
A Female Veteran owned company.

EpochEyeWear.com

Inexpensive and cover the whole range.

capsaicinguy

Post by capsaicinguy » Fri May 22, 2020 8:37 am

I had worn Oakley's for a long time. I had gotten used to their misaligned polarized lenses and the "plutonite" plastic lenses scratching as soon as you touched them. Misaligned meaning you had to tilt your head to one side and the right lense polarized filter would cut in, then tilt it to the left and the left lense would cut in. Drove me bonkers. Then about 6 years ago I got a pair of Costa's with their glass lenses. Hallelujah! Polarizing is perfect and I have yet to scratch their glass lenses. Allegedly the glass lenses are heavier. Haven't noticed a thing. I'll never go back. You can get deals on them on ebay. Just me .02.

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Fri May 22, 2020 8:47 am

I like Spy Optic for a reasonably priced, quality brand that is NOT Luxottica.

I also like that Spy offers non-polarized versions of all their lenses. This is a stark contrast to the "POLARIZE EVERYTHING" fetishists like Maui Jim. I like the look of their shades, but I'll never buy a pair because I can't stand polarization.

https://www.govx.com/ has pretty steep discounts on most of the brands mentioned in this thread for current full-time government employees, military (plus retired), police, and first responders.

wootwoot

Post by wootwoot » Fri May 22, 2020 8:49 am

Ray-Ban

StrawMan

Post by StrawMan » Fri May 22, 2020 9:09 am

I buy whatever is cheap and has solid ratings on Amazon or eBay- current pair cost about $14 and are going on 2 years.

Unless I need glasses with a specific rating, I don’t see the need on spending much.

Superleaf444

Post by Superleaf444 » Fri May 22, 2020 9:12 am

runner3081 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:45 pm
7eight9 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:38 pm
Ray-Ban is likely a solid choice.

https://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglasses/view-all/plp
I disagree. You are buying a brand, not a quality product.

Check out then polarized sunglasses from Costco, Kirkland Signature. $30 and are very good for the price.

I am a huge fan of Maui Jim. They are out of your price range, but you can buy older models at a Costco for around $100.
While I currently don't own a pair of Ray-Ban, I think they are a quality product. I've had a pair survive of the floor of a mosh pit. Literally groups of people were jumping on them and they were not damaged. TBH they are the best pair of glasses I've ever owned, but fwiw my insurance covered them at the time.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Fri May 22, 2020 9:29 am

I tried on a pair of my friend's Maui Jims several years ago and I've wanted a pair ever since. However, I can't make myself spend that much on a pair of sunglasses. I got a couple of pair of Shady Rays (https://shadyrays.com/) and I've been relatively happy. They're inexpensive and they have a great replacement policy.

Chrono Triggered

Post by Chrono Triggered » Fri May 22, 2020 2:53 pm

Helios wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:07 pm
Serengeti Sunglasses
+1

I have an amber Dante and it's my favorite pair.
Last edited by Chrono Triggered on Fri May 22, 2020 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldfort

Post by oldfort » Fri May 22, 2020 4:56 pm

capsaicinguy wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:37 am
I had worn Oakley's for a long time. I had gotten used to their misaligned polarized lenses and the "plutonite" plastic lenses scratching as soon as you touched them. Misaligned meaning you had to tilt your head to one side and the right lense polarized filter would cut in, then tilt it to the left and the left lense would cut in. Drove me bonkers. Then about 6 years ago I got a pair of Costa's with their glass lenses. Hallelujah! Polarizing is perfect and I have yet to scratch their glass lenses. Allegedly the glass lenses are heavier. Haven't noticed a thing. I'll never go back. You can get deals on them on ebay. Just me .02.
There is some safety risk with true glass. Glass can shatter, when polycarbonate won't, and if those fragments get into your eye, you can have permanent vision loss.

BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 » Fri May 22, 2020 6:56 pm

I have a polarized pair from Warby Parker and love them. The brand is direct to consumer. The return policy is great! Without prescription they’d be at the higher end of your price range. I wear prescription so I used my HSA to pay for them. Worth every penny!

If you want cheap but prescription polarized you can try Zennioptical. They have non-prescription as well.
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig

krafty81

Post by krafty81 » Sat May 23, 2020 7:49 pm

Maui Jim has readers! I never buy anything else. Nobody has better service, IMO, they will fix any problems you have.

HANK1964

Post by HANK1964 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:56 am

I love Randolph Aviator sunglasses and have worn them for the past 50+ years. I bought my most recent pair on Amazon and do not recall the price. My only problem with my recent pair is keeping them on when I lean over. I believe the frame may come in different widths, not sure if this is the proper term, so be sure to know the width by having the width measured by an eyeglass tech at Walmart Or wherever you buy your regular glasses before ordering from Amazon. By width I am referring to the distance across the front excluding the temples.

Horton

Post by Horton » Mon May 25, 2020 9:36 am

I wear Costa's and my wife wears Maui Jim's. I had one pair of Costa that began to fall apart. They were discontinued, but I called their customer service and was able to select a new pair for free.

Surfbum

Post by Surfbum » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:20 pm

Maui Jim have several pair, next door neighbor an eye doctor and he said Maui Jim’s are the best.

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:43 pm

3M safety glasses -- polarized or not as desired, with anti-fog coating. $10-$30 depending upon how many you buy at once and the specific model.
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” ― Bruce Lee

Ependytis

Post by Ependytis » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:09 pm

There are plenty of sunglasses for $30 or less that provide both 100% UVA and UVB protection as well as being polarized. I could not justify paying more than that given for me there’s no discernible difference in glasses that cost a lot more and I typically scratch them or lose them before I would get that sort of utility out of them. When I asked my optometrist why do some glasses cost so much he could not point to any data to justify the reason. Luxottica basically owns the market for the most part and that’s why prices are so high in my opinion.

BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:31 pm

Maui Jim. No contest.

Get their super thin glass lenses though. All the polycarbonate lens types will eventually scratch and cause deteriorating optics. The glass lenses are very durable and if your frames or lenses ever fail, you can send them in for repair for a modest price. If you live in Peoria, IL or Lahaina, HI, you can swing by and they'll fix them on site.
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:06 pm

Highly recommend Wiley X's.

I bought them for the men executing Offshore Projects.

I have trifocals and ms gamboolgal has a prescription Wiley X's also.

index2max

Post by index2max » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:12 pm

7eight9 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:38 pm
Ray-Ban is likely a solid choice.

https://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglasses/view-all/plp
Not all Ray-bans are made in Italy. Lots of their products are made in China. Plus the parent company, Luxottica, has a near-monopoly on the glasses market and overcharge by crazy amounts to consumers. Thankfully a few shops in the US aren't in their web such as Costco optical. Sadly Costco's variety leaves a lot to be desired and most of it is made in china too.

chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:32 pm

UALflyer wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:27 pm
mak1277 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:19 pm
Anyway, for the OP, if you're going to step up away from gas station shades, definitely look for something with polarized lenses.
Polarized lenses are great, but there are also downsides to them, which is the reason that many high end sunglasses intentionally do not include polarization. Polarization helps to reduce glare, but affects depth perception. Hence, the reason that a lot of sports that use balls (baseball, golf, etc...) tend not to use polarized lenses, which can make it harder to judge the location of the ball. The same is frequently true for cycling and mountain biking. Tennis players who do use sunglasses frequently opt for the non-polarized ones as well (particularly since glare tends not to be a significant issue in tennis).
Polarized lenses have no effect on depth perception. Depth perception comes from the parallax when your eyes see the same thing from slightly different angles, and polarized lenses don't change that.

Polarized lenses -can- make it harder to see water (or oil slicks) on a road, so perhaps cyclists and motorcyclists should consider that. However, even in that case, the lenses reduce reflective glare; they do not eliminate it. I always wear polarized sunglasses and wouldn't consider anything else.

Polarized lenses (1) make it harder to view LCD screen (and I assume, also OLED?), (2) give sometimes annoying birefringence fringes through the visor of a motorcycle helmet.

Overall, polarized lenses are vastly superior to non-polarized, IMHO.

SebastianIII

Post by SebastianIII » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:15 am

Persol are the coolest glasses and not like many mass produced. Only this weekend, 30% off a Father's Day gift Ends 06/21/20
https://www.persol.com/usa/sunglasses

Remember Vuarnet? They are back and not the same ole same ole, i bought a new pair like the ones i had in the 80's !
https://us.vuarnet.com/

Fun Sunglasses many styles decent pricing !
https://www.electriccalifornia.com/coll ... sunglasses
https://www.spyoptic.com/sunglasses/men ... unglasses/

To AVOID losing sunglasses you need a strap so they hang around your neck when not wearing and you wont lose them nearly as often if at all....

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:09 pm

Costco has excellent deals on quality glasses
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:56 pm

Serengetti Drivers - not cheap but excellent optics and high quality materials.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:06 pm

hoops777 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:09 pm
Costco has excellent deals on quality glasses
Just bought my first pair of "good" non-prescription sunglasses this week. Maui Jim from Costco. $95--MSRP $299, but searching the internet they are a discontinued model. I can't imagine how that would make much of a difference though. I'm quite happy with them so far--much better than the $20 pairs I have been wearing and will continue to wear for working around the yard.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:38 am

Bought a pair of Ray Bans about 10-12 years ago, and they lasted through a lot of abuse in that time (and with lots of help from my friendly Lenscrafter's crew). However, they finally suffered damage that could not be fixed, and since they are so old, no replacement part is available. Needless to say, I just replaced them with another pair of Ray Bans, and hope that I can get even half the life of my previous pair.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:28 am

Peppers or Goodr

CycloRista

Post by CycloRista » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:14 am

I've had the same Oakley frames for nearly 20 years and replace the lenses every ~3-4 years...

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:08 am

davebo wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:34 pm
I've never purchased sunglasses over $30 because I always lose them and I rarely end up wearing them. Someone told me recently that I'd be better off buying a nice pair because I'll notice the quality immediately.

I don't like really dark sunglasses, I'd prefer a clearer lense that still blocks UV rays. Would prefer to stay with a reputable brand instead of the fly by night ones on Amazon. Any suggestions? Probably looking at between $75-$125. I probably can't justify spending more than that.
I have been using eddie bauer polarized ones now for over a year. They are plastic, not glass which is great. And very helpful when fishing, you can sight fish when you see fish so clearly in the water, compared to no sunglasses.
I used to buy ray bans all the time but got frustrated that I had to be very careful all the time (due to glass).

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:25 am

CycloRista wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:14 am
I've had the same Oakley frames for nearly 20 years and replace the lenses every ~3-4 years...
There are probably 2 groups of people in the world. Those that lose glasses and those that don't:) The first group shouldn't be buying the 100+ dollar frames. The second group can consider if the benefits are worth it. If you can't tell the difference between 20 dollar frames and 100, definitely buy the cheaper ones. I struggle to believe many people don't notice the difference....

papiper

Post by papiper » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:31 am

Serengetti Drivers - without polarization. Polarized sunglasses make some lcd screens unreadable - so pilots usually stay away that kind because somewhere on the panel a screen will be unreadable. Serengetti are amazingly clear lenses.

bagle

Post by bagle » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:42 am

Not an original answer, but... Maui Jims. That advice doesn't come from me, but from a friend who is an optician with 20 years of experience. He also says don't touch Ray Ban after Luxottica bought them.

DiploInvestor

Post by DiploInvestor » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:51 am

Depending on your status you may be eligible for the Oakley military/LEO purchase program:

https://www.oakleysi.com/en-us

Slightly limited selection, but great deals.
"History doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes." -- Mark Twain // "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." — Cicero

hunoraut

Post by hunoraut » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:10 pm

there's a lot of brand-name fixation here, for not so clear reasons.

i've owned multiple pairs of almost every brand mentioned so far (oakleys, raybans, persols, maui jims, etc) and a ton more

after you go above the $20 $30 mark where theyre practically disposable, the optics are all good. there's no discernable differences in "quality" -- theres not much to a hinged frame and 2 lenses. you're paying for the branding.

i buy them based on styling, and sometimes its a haute brand (e.g. tom ford), sometimes its a fashion brand (e.g. ralph lauren), sometimes its a household brand (e.g. polaroid). the name doesnt really matter...except in cost. if its not the dirt cheap stuff, it will have the right optical properties

JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:15 pm

bagle wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:42 am
Not an original answer, but... Maui Jims. That advice doesn't come from me, but from a friend who is an optician with 20 years of experience. He also says don't touch Ray Ban after Luxottica bought them.
Curious - did he say why specifically not to buy Ray Ban's any longer? :|

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:01 pm

hunoraut wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:10 pm
there's a lot of brand-name fixation here, for not so clear reasons.

i've owned multiple pairs of almost every brand mentioned so far (oakleys, raybans, persols, maui jims, etc) and a ton more

after you go above the $20 $30 mark where theyre practically disposable, the optics are all good. there's no discernable differences in "quality" -- theres not much to a hinged frame and 2 lenses. you're paying for the branding.

i buy them based on styling, and sometimes its a haute brand (e.g. tom ford), sometimes its a fashion brand (e.g. ralph lauren), sometimes its a household brand (e.g. polaroid). the name doesnt really matter...except in cost. if its not the dirt cheap stuff, it will have the right optical properties
+1