Apple Airpods Pro

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Apple Airpods Pro

Post by Leesbro63 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:59 am

I recently bought a set of these. How do you increase or decrease the volume, directly on the airpod(s), if the phone is in the other room?

bowest

Re: Apple Airpods Pro

Post by bowest » Mon May 18, 2020 12:00 pm

"Hey Siri, volume up"
"Hey Siri, volume down"

davebo

Post by davebo » Mon May 18, 2020 12:04 pm

How do you like the Airpod Pros? I have had the original airpods for a few years and would've jumped on them, but I read that people are complaining about the noise cancelling. Sounds like early reviews were great, but that it got worse with each new firmware update. Not sure if that is just audio snobs or what.

onourway

Post by onourway » Mon May 18, 2020 1:03 pm

davebo wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:04 pm
How do you like the Airpod Pros? I have had the original airpods for a few years and would've jumped on them, but I read that people are complaining about the noise cancelling. Sounds like early reviews were great, but that it got worse with each new firmware update. Not sure if that is just audio snobs or what.
I've owned them since just after release, been on all the firmware revisions, could credibly be considered an audio snob. :D

My impression is that there was very little difference between firmware in terms of noise cancellation. Possibly some small differences, but nothing compared to what people are claiming. As a point of comparison, I also have Sony's top-end over-ear NC model. Also, the only site to do any actual acoustic testing at all has gone on the record stating there is no difference in their testing between the two firmwares where most of the complaints come from.

The latest firmware is excellent for NC - nearly on par with my Sony's, excellent for audio quality - I think considerably better than the Sony's which are rather dull and lifeless, and they've greatly improved the "transparency mode" which now sounds almost as if you are wearing nothing at all when the music is paused - allowing you to roam around waiting for a phone call or with Siri at your beckon, yet still interact with the outside world as normal.

The two big issues are that all of the above relies on getting a pretty decent seal from one of the included size rubber tips. This takes a bit of practice, and quite likely, simply can't fit every individual perfectly. Secondarily, there does seem to be an issue where one set of external grilles are in contact with the ear when in use, and these tend to gunk up and possibly be the real culprit for the complaints regarding noise cancelling. However, if you are aware of this and spend a few moments every week or two keeping them clean, this is not a problem.

Personally, despite having a wide selection of very high end equipment to listen to, there is nothing else that has the combination of ease of use, raw sound quality, comfort, and active noise cancelling on the market. Well worth the investment if you spend a wearing headphones.

RJC

Post by RJC » Mon May 18, 2020 1:06 pm

Spouse is considering getting a pair. Any concerns of the battery going out in a few years? Sounds like quite an investment if you also have to replace when that happens.

onourway

Post by onourway » Mon May 18, 2020 1:13 pm

RJC wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:06 pm
Spouse is considering getting a pair. Any concerns of the battery going out in a few years? Sounds like quite an investment if you also have to replace when that happens.
I made an exception for my usual aversion to "purchased warranties" for these because for $29 you get 3 years of protection which includes replacement when the battery capacity drops below 80% which is a near-certainty for something with batteries this small. Ideally you could get a replacement set just before warranty expiration and get a good 5+ years from them. (If you can manage not to lose any in that time!)

Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Mon May 18, 2020 2:19 pm

bowest wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:00 pm
"Hey Siri, volume up"
"Hey Siri, volume down"
How do I get them to increase or decrease during a call?

So far I like them a lot. I do worry about even the low frequency sizzling bilaterally into my brain however.

onourway

Post by onourway » Mon May 18, 2020 2:24 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:19 pm
bowest wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:00 pm
"Hey Siri, volume up"
"Hey Siri, volume down"
How do I get them to increase or decrease during a call?

So far I like them a lot. I do worry about even the low frequency sizzling bilaterally into my brain however.
Buttons on your phone, or if you have an Apple Watch, turn the Digital Crown (for music - I think this works for calls as well).

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon May 18, 2020 2:26 pm

If you have an Apple Watch you can also adjust the volume that way. (I find it strange that Apple didn't make the stalk of the AirPod Pros touch-sensitive, it would have made a very intuitive volume control.)

regularguy455

Post by regularguy455 » Mon May 18, 2020 2:38 pm

RJC wrote:
Valid concern. Apple is the king of making luxury goods consumable products. That said, if you can afford it, they’re really cool.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Mon May 18, 2020 2:46 pm

onourway wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:13 pm
RJC wrote:
I made an exception for my usual aversion to "purchased warranties" for these because for $29 you get 3 years of protection which includes replacement when the battery capacity drops below 80% which is a near-certainty for something with batteries this small. Ideally you could get a replacement set just before warranty expiration and get a good 5+ years from them. (If you can manage not to lose any in that time!)
I may have this wrong - but I think that Apple Care runs for two years from date of purchase of Apple Care.

You can purchase Apple Care up to 60 days after buying your AirPods. So the maximum warranty period is 2 years and 60 days, I think.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon May 18, 2020 2:53 pm

Stinky wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:46 pm
onourway wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:13 pm
RJC wrote:
I may have this wrong - but I think that Apple Care runs for two years from date of purchase of Apple Care.

You can purchase Apple Care up to 60 days after buying your AirPods. So the maximum warranty period is 2 years and 60 days, I think.
Correct, the coverage is for 2 years.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon May 18, 2020 2:59 pm

davebo wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 12:04 pm
I didn't have the original firmware so can't compare there. As with any active noise-canceling system, it mainly works on constant sounds like the drone of aircraft engines, much less on voices, street noise, and the like. (The passive noise isolation, from the seal the eartips form with your ears, make more of a difference with those sounds.) The noise-canceling is good but not great - Bose over-the-ear headphones (like the QC models) are still the gold standard for active noise-canceling. I also have the in-ear WF-1000XM3, and I tested it against the AirPods Pro for noise-canceling by turning on my fan (to simulate aircraft noise). To my surprise, the AirPods Pro were slightly better in noise-canceling than the Sony.

The AirPods Pro connect more easily and reliably than the Sonys, and they are much more comfortable in the ear. The Sonys have the advantage of slightly better sound and ability to control volume on the earbuds themselves.

Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Mon May 18, 2020 3:11 pm

So I guess the answer is that you can't adjust the volume, during a call, from the Airpods themselves. I don't have the watch, so if the phone was in the other room I'd have to go get it to adjust the volume. Right?

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon May 18, 2020 3:39 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:11 pm
So I guess the answer is that you can't adjust the volume, during a call, from the Airpods themselves. I don't have the watch, so if the phone was in the other room I'd have to go get it to adjust the volume. Right?
If controls on the buds themselves is an important consideration, you may want to look at Powerbeats Pro instead. They have full controls on both buds. The current version does not have noise cancelling, but do have very good sound isolation. The second-gen may be announced as soon as next month, and will have noise cancelling just like the Airpods Pro do.

Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Mon May 18, 2020 5:45 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:39 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:11 pm
If controls on the buds themselves is an important consideration, you may want to look at Powerbeats Pro instead. They have full controls on both buds. The current version does not have noise cancelling, but do have very good sound isolation. The second-gen may be announced as soon as next month, and will have noise cancelling just like the Airpods Pro do.
Truthfully I can live with it like this, but I'd like to get confirmation that there isn't some sort of "secret handshake" that I'm missing to adjust the volume, during a call, on the airpods themselves.

Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Mon May 18, 2020 5:47 pm

Another question: If I take them out of my ears and put them into the case and into my pocket, does the case charge the airpods? Or do they only charge if the case is connected to a power source? In other words, does the case have a battery in it that charges the airpods batteries? Or is the case just a device to transmit power from a charger?

chewy8k

Post by chewy8k » Mon May 18, 2020 6:03 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:47 pm
Another question: If I take them out of my ears and put them into the case and into my pocket, does the case charge the airpods? Or do they only charge if the case is connected to a power source? In other words, does the case have a battery in it that charges the airpods batteries? Or is the case just a device to transmit power from a charger?
the case does have batteries of their own to charge the airpods once you take them off and put them in. You can check the status of the batteries of the airpods and the case on your phone by clicking the bluetooth icon.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon May 18, 2020 6:28 pm

OP, pretty much all your questions and more are answered here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207010

Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Mon May 18, 2020 6:48 pm

chewy8k wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:03 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
the case does have batteries of their own to charge the airpods once you take them off and put them in. You can check the status of the batteries of the airpods and the case on your phone by clicking the bluetooth icon.
Which Bluetooth icon? I don’t get this.

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Mon May 18, 2020 6:52 pm

regularguy455 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:38 pm
RJC wrote:
Valid concern. Apple is the king of making luxury goods consumable products. That said, if you can afford it, they’re really cool.
I went from from various wired pairs that I have used over the past 20 years. I would pay from $80-$130 for these and would use them predominately while exercising and cooking. Invariably the wires would catch on something and these would fail at the wired connection. I was lucky to get a year to a year and a half use out of them.

If I get 2-3 years out of these I will be breaking even in comparison and have a much better feature set such as noise cancellation and no bouncing wires to distort sound. Now I could get a cheaper wireless pair, but I wanted noise cancellation,sweat resistanance and Blu tooth connection reliability with an iPhone there are not a lot of options in the market with my criteria.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon May 18, 2020 7:10 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:48 pm
chewy8k wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:03 pm
Leesbro63 wrote:
Which Bluetooth icon? I don’t get this.
Here you go: https://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+check+airpod+pro+battery