Gardening- question about where to mulch, and also about harvesting

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
protagonist

Gardening- question about where to mulch, and also about harvesting

Post by protagonist » Sun May 17, 2020 5:07 pm

I have a raised herb bed that, despite being raised, still tends to get more than its share of weeds.
The bed contains a variety of herbs, plus mint. I know it spreads a lot, but I actually encourage the mint, because we use a lot of it and freeze it in the fall.

My questions....

1. If I mulch the whole bed, will this inhibit the mint from coming up? Would it thus be better to just mulch heavily around the other desirable plants and let the mint (and the weeds) come up in the rest of the garden? Or can I mulch the whole garden without significantly inhibiting the mint?

2. Will I get a better harvest of mint if I constantly harvest every couple of weeks rather than taking only as much as I need, waiting and doing a big harvest in the fall?

Thanks in advance.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Re: Gardening- question about where to mulch, and also about harvesting

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sun May 17, 2020 5:11 pm

“As long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden.”
“growth has its seasons.” And, yes, “there will be growth in the spring.”--Chance The Gardner

also this being bogleheads and you asking about harvesting, let me remind you to tax loss harvest and also to harvest your gains.
Last edited by arcticpineapplecorp. on Sun May 17, 2020 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Sun May 17, 2020 5:12 pm

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen a gardening post on how to encourage mint to grow! We love mint as well but made the mistake of planting three varieties in our raised herb bed. Good grief. I tried to get rid of all of it consigning it instead to individual pots but it manages to escape the pots and yet still appears in our raised herb bed.

I would be surprised if regular mulching of the bed has any adverse affect on the proliferation of your mint. And yes, I believe if you harvest regularly it will encourage growth.

TnGuy

Post by TnGuy » Sun May 17, 2020 5:28 pm

The mint will thank you for mulching .... and continue to spread like wildfire.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx

Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sun May 17, 2020 5:49 pm

galawdawg wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:12 pm
Wow. I don't think I've ever seen a gardening post on how to encourage mint to grow! We love mint as well but made the mistake of planting three varieties in our raised herb bed. Good grief. I tried to get rid of all of it consigning it instead to individual pots but it manages to escape the pots and yet still appears in our raised herb bed.

I would be surprised if regular mulching of the bed has any adverse affect on the proliferation of your mint. And yes, I believe if you harvest regularly it will encourage growth.
I knew I would get that response!
When it overgrows I just transplant it into an area where it doesn't matter. To date it has not overgrown (after several years) though it does spread out.
There may come a time when I will be sorry and have to eat my words, but since it is a contained raised bed it shouldn't be too problematic.

Will it still come up through, say, 3" of mulch?

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun May 17, 2020 5:55 pm

Mint is extremely invasive. Plant mint only in pots. Mulch will do absolutely nothing to stop mint from spreading.

UpsetRaptor

Post by UpsetRaptor » Sun May 17, 2020 6:09 pm

The best way to inhibit the mint is to nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun May 17, 2020 6:11 pm

UpsetRaptor wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:09 pm
The best way to inhibit the mint is to nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.
That's what is required when folks make the serious mistake of planting invasive bamboo.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun May 17, 2020 10:00 pm

galawdawg wrote:
Wow. I don't think I've ever seen a gardening post on how to encourage mint to grow!
Yeah, for sure. I don't think there is anything that will discourage mint.

I have noticed that the mint gets less attractive-looking as the season wears on, getting more yellowish with coarse leaves instead of nice new green growth. If you really want the stuff I think you will be happy if you continuously cut it.

I think you can clear-cut it and it will come up again in a few weeks. It even grows from root fragments.

> it is a contained raised bed

By "contained" I hope you mean a bed that is built on a concrete slab. That's the only way to be sure.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Sun May 17, 2020 10:49 pm

We are guilty as charged... Planted cat mint & chocolate mint, both not in pots... I expect eventually to see it growing inside the house from the carpet , floor boards, asphalt shingles. I think it grows on bare cement without soil. My plan is to just live with it until I die or sell the house which ever comes first...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun May 17, 2020 11:19 pm

galawdawg wrote:

Indulge viewtopic.php?f=11&t=308577&p=5114275

Teague

Post by Teague » Sun May 17, 2020 11:31 pm

The mint we planted several years is still going strong with no attention and no irrigation. The other herbs in that garden seem to have been assimilated.

If you wait another week you won't have to plant your own, it should have made it to your yard by then.
Semper Augustus

Pu239

Post by Pu239 » Mon May 18, 2020 12:22 am

Our house came with a large outdoor pot containing mint. After almost 30 years, it is still going strong requiring no special attention. We use it every year but never considered freezing it until now. Thanks!
Between the idea And the reality...Between the motion And the act...Falls the Shadow - T. S. Eliot

mancich

Post by mancich » Mon May 18, 2020 8:17 am

UpsetRaptor wrote:
+1000 I planted it in the ground several years ago. Dumb mistake. The only redeeming thing about it is that it tastes great in mojitos :beer

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Mon May 18, 2020 10:53 am

UpsetRaptor wrote:
In my experience, mint is a piece of cake compared to bind weed. Will order one death star for the bind weed in my backyard!

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Thu May 21, 2020 12:03 pm

I picked a small pack of locally grown mint up at Walmart the other day, planted in a 12"D by 9"H plastic container, and placed on a concrete patio. It looks good and I hope there is no chance for it to spread.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Organic-Mint ... a/26502311

Teague

Post by Teague » Thu May 21, 2020 1:17 pm

MathIsMyWayr wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:03 pm
I picked a small pack of locally grown mint up at Walmart the other day, planted in a 12"D by 9"H plastic container, and placed on a concrete patio. It looks good and I hope there is no chance for it to spread.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Organic-Mint ... a/26502311
In the container it should be fine. But once someone puts it in the ground and it gets that first taste of freedom, that's it. Bwahahahaha! :twisted:
Semper Augustus

3hrs

Post by 3hrs » Thu May 21, 2020 4:04 pm

I 'd harvest the mint throughout the summer. After it flowers it can get ratty for awhile so keeping the flowers in check helps to keep it good for harvest. But I also use the flowers in the house in vases. It will love mulch. Every few weeks I edge the bed and rip out the runners that travel 6 inches deep. It still pops up 3 or 4 feet away.