Upgrade to Pixelbook Go?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
cnblure

Upgrade to Pixelbook Go?

Post by cnblure »

Does anyone have experience with this kind of chromebook? I'm interested in the model with the least memory, but I can't find a floor model near me where I can see it in person.

I've been using a $300 Acer chromebook I got at Costco for the last 3 years. I spend multiple hours a day everyday using this machine. I want to upgrade to the Pixelbook Go because it sounds so great and I think it would be a really good value for me. I can afford it, but I have a tough time spending money on purchases over $100 when I don't have too. Especially since my chromebook still works fine. It's hard for me to justify this purchase, but I want it. I do have a faint purple horizontal line across the screen that is only noticeable when watching videos with darker colors. This is due to me accidentally stepping on it one night after being called into work at 02:00 a few years ago. Also, the sound/speaker is not always loud enough depending on the video. I prefer watching shows and movies on a computer screen over a tv. This is something I developed in college and has kind of stuck with me.

I guess my mindset with this is wanting to buy a better quality version of something I use so much. I'm hoping the better screen, webcam, speaker, and keyboard quality will make my chromebook experience even better. But because what I have is fine and has been working, it's tough to pull the trigger.
Momus

Re: Upgrade to Pixelbook Go?

Post by Momus »

Tell your SO to buy it as your gift for the year. Sell your chromebook for cheap.

I don't mind dropping $$$ to tech. That's my vice. You gotta spend something. Sometimes I upgrade and take $200 loss just because...

I also I'd do a lot of those bank bonuses on the side and credit card bonus to get free money to buy toys.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.doctor ... nuses/amp/
mega317

Post by mega317 »

I don't know anything about that computer but I love my pixelbook. If we take you at your word you can afford it then why not? If they sell these at best buy you get 2 weeks for returns so you can try it no commitment.

Is your acer still under warranty? If you used Costco credit card I think it is.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
pochax

Post by pochax »

i would wait for the Lenovo Flex chromebook coming out later this year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDGACaBfMXc
it is expected to be the best mid-range value chromebook and i think can be had between $400-500 depending on which CPU/RAM/SSD configuration which is still cheaper than the Pixelbook Go. Having said that if you can get a good discount on the P-Go, then go for it!
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

cnblure wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:18 pm Does anyone have experience with this kind of chromebook? I'm interested in the model with the least memory, but I can't find a floor model near me where I can see it in person.

I've been using a $300 Acer chromebook I got at Costco for the last 3 years. I spend multiple hours a day everyday using this machine. I want to upgrade to the Pixelbook Go because it sounds so great and I think it would be a really good value for me. I can afford it, but I have a tough time spending money on purchases over $100 when I don't have too. Especially since my chromebook still works fine. It's hard for me to justify this purchase, but I want it. I do have a faint purple horizontal line across the screen that is only noticeable when watching videos with darker colors. This is due to me accidentally stepping on it one night after being called into work at 02:00 a few years ago. Also, the sound/speaker is not always loud enough depending on the video. I prefer watching shows and movies on a computer screen over a tv. This is something I developed in college and has kind of stuck with me.

I guess my mindset with this is wanting to buy a better quality version of something I use so much. I'm hoping the better screen, webcam, speaker, and keyboard quality will make my chromebook experience even better. But because what I have is fine and has been working, it's tough to pull the trigger.
I too have an ACER (R13) chromebook from Costco about 3 yrs ago. Great machine but showing its age. The touchscreen no longer works! The first I bought had a dead speaker system out of the box. Costco took it back and the replacement machine has been super.

I can't comment on the Pixel Go, but will mention my recent experiences with Pixel devices. I have a pixel 2 XL phone and love it, but have had two hardware issues several months apart. Both resolved by Google via 2 replacement phones over 3 years. Looks like I'll need a replacement battery or a new phone soon. I'd go pixel phone again based on the OS and the build.

Closer to the GO experience, I've had a google nexus 9 tablet for several (many?) years and its on its last legs. I've loved the straight OS. And its a great tablet. I was looking to replace it. The Play store had a sale on devices earlier this year and I bought a top of line Pixel Slate plus stylus plus keyboard for about $1000 total. Great display, great OS., nice feel, etc. However it kept lagging and freezing. I tried factory resets a couple of times. Same problems. After several weeks I regretfully sent it back within the 30 day return period. Not sure if it was a lemon, or a design flaw. I was unwilling to spend days working through finding out while I still had the return option. I'm still deciding on what to do next.

In summary, I love the pixel/google interface but have had some poor hardware experiences. For your needs I'd make sure you can easily return/swap the device. Costco would be great, but I imagine they don't carry it. Best Buy is also good in normal times. Check on how they handle returns in the current environment. The Play Store is good service but any return/replacement is a UPS/FedEx deal, packup, take to store, etc.

Re-reading this before posting I see I'm coming across very negatively, but I'd buy another pixel when the next batch come out, however I believe the Slate (or any other pixel) tablet is being discontinued. The GO looks like a great device. I'd do it if it were strictly a tablet. Maybe when my ACER CB dies.

Let us know what you decide!
02nz

Post by 02nz »

A Chromebook's main selling point is that it's cheap. At $649 and up the value proposition looks really poor to me.
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

I got my wife a Pixelbook Go a month or so ago actually on the recommendation of another Boglehead. She loves it so far. Battery life is amazing, the touch screen is a nice feature she never had before and the laptop is fast. The one downside I know will come down the pipeline given Pixelbook reviews is that it is very hard to get it serviced. We bought the extended warranty and are full expecting that in a year or so it will need a new battery or some other issue. I grabbed the extended warranty and I hope we'll be able to use it at that time and get another one or a similar Chromebook. Or hopefully Google will get their act together and enable their independent repair shop to do repairs.