How to get disinfecting wipes..seriously

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mancich

How to get disinfecting wipes..seriously

Post by mancich » Sat May 16, 2020 5:05 am

In honor of the thread for toilet paper with a similar name, I'd like to hear suggestions on where to get disinfecting wipes or if anyone has had luck finding them. I used to buy the 5-pack at BJ's of Clorox Wipes. I don't care if I now have to buy Lysol brand or the store brand, but darned if I have seen ANY since this whole thing started. I know the good folks at Clorox (and similar companies) are obviously still making them.

When I went to BJ's last week, the woman at the entrance who now disinfects the carts and gives me hand sanitizer said that they do get them in but they're gone within 30 minutes.

If this is the case, then it must be the seniors buying them up, given their one hour advantage when stores open in our area. I'm not (yet) a senior, so not sure how I can get hold of some. I've tried multiple grocery stores as well. Any suggestions?

SchruteB&B

Re: How to get disinfecting wipes..seriously

Post by SchruteB&B » Sat May 16, 2020 5:31 am

Our local Target only has senior hour two times a week. I go at opening on a non-senior day and walk as fast as I can back to the wipes aisle.

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Sat May 16, 2020 5:56 am

What do you use them for that you couldn't use paper towels and a spray cleaner for the same results?

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Sat May 16, 2020 5:58 am

Just got a 3 pkt (75 wipes per pack) ordered on Amazon.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat May 16, 2020 6:10 am

I've been using soap and water since the beginning, since I read they are better than disinfecting wipes. I don't bother with them on errands, just be very careful not to touch anything I don't have to before I can get home where I have access to that.

Here some local companies are making hand sanitizer and selling it for a minute price or giving it away. I think some are breweries.

https://parade.com/1011922/jerylbrunner ... sanitizer/

Link contains a list of some, plus:

"According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the best way to clean your hands is to wash with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If that option is not available, they suggest using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that has at least 60 percent alcohol. The rush to stockpile sanitizer has caused a national shortage."
Last edited by mouses on Sat May 16, 2020 6:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

nexesn

Post by nexesn » Sat May 16, 2020 6:12 am

You might want to try Seventh Generation Wipes (It's now a Unilever owned company). Some sites are starting to get them in stock (and then go out of stock).

https://www.seventhgeneration.com/clean ... infectants

Here's info about the cleaning capability:
....Seventh Generation Disinfecting Cleaners, Wipes and Sprays with CleanWell® INSIDE have demonstrated effectiveness against viruses similar to SARS-CoV-2 on hard, non-porous surfaces. Therefore, Seventh Generation Disinfecting Cleaners, Wipes and Sprays can be used against SARS-CoV-2 when used in accordance with the directions for use on the product label on hard non-porous surfaces. Refer to the U.S. Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website for additional information. Read more about COVID-19 here.

https://www.seventhgeneration.com/blog/ ... flu-season

Topic Author
mancich

Post by mancich » Sat May 16, 2020 6:37 am

Thanks all, I will try the Target angle

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Sat May 16, 2020 7:15 am

At our local grocery store, the aisle that has the Clorox wipes has been empty for over 2 months. However, in the section where travel sized items are sold, they sometimes have 20 packs of Wet Ones anti-bacterial wipes. I bought 2 packs there this week.

Topic Author
mancich

Post by mancich » Sat May 16, 2020 7:40 am

Hockey10 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:15 am
At our local grocery store, the aisle that has the Clorox wipes has been empty for over 2 months. However, in the section where travel sized items are sold, they sometimes have 20 packs of Wet Ones anti-bacterial wipes. I bought 2 packs there this week.
Good idea, I will try this too.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat May 16, 2020 7:44 am

DW and I have been buying PDI Sani Hands wipes over the years. Great for travel, too. We keep a box in each car.
Great for in public, (shaking hands), etc.
These were the best as they don't dry out over time and are very wet.
Also no smell. Most have a perfume or toxic scent.

Crazy. All the things we used to take for granted now unavailable.
Amazon.com (Sani Hands Wipes)
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

Great for putting in a pocket or purse.

Does anyone know of another source?

j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat May 16, 2020 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

runner26

Post by runner26 » Sat May 16, 2020 9:00 am

I was just thinking this morning that Costco will sell me a limit 5 toaster ovens on sale, but I cannot buy 1 disinfecting wipes. :oops:

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sat May 16, 2020 9:01 am

I have always bought the refillable pump spray bottles of Clorox from Costco. Then, I have plenty of paper towels that get to the same effect as disinfecting wipes. Granted, I cannot easily do this say if I'm in a car or outside my home. Though, COVID has certainly caused paper towels and anything Clorox to fly off the shelves.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sat May 16, 2020 9:05 am

Soap and water are best for hand washing.
FWIW, you can use a solution of bleach/chlorine diluted in water along with disposable or wash and re-use towels. This can work BETTER than some of those packaged wipes but does require periodically refreshing the bleach & water solution as the bleach dissipates and loses its effectiveness. The packaged wipes, even the 'Clorox' brand, do not actually contain bleach/chlorine, the active chemical in the solution they use has a long shelf life, but requires longer exposure time to be effective.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Sat May 16, 2020 9:09 am

Hockey10 wrote:
Covid is a virus, not bacterial so anti-bacterial may not also kill virus.

Candor

Post by Candor » Sat May 16, 2020 10:33 am

Hit & miss but I have been able to get them from Target in the morning. Limited to 1 container per person.

rterickson

Post by rterickson » Sat May 16, 2020 6:11 pm

DW just returned from Walmart Grocery with 1 regular size container. They had the large size earlier this morning. Limit 1 per customer.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat May 16, 2020 6:17 pm

We have plenty of disinfecting wipes purchased back in 2019. What are y'all using them all for anyways? We haven't really used them at all.

I think it is better to have a hand-cleaning station set up outside your home. I suppose some folks in apartments or condos cannot really do that.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

celia

Post by celia » Sat May 16, 2020 6:25 pm

mancich wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:05 am
If this is the case, then it must be the seniors buying them up, given their one hour advantage when stores open in our area. I'm not (yet) a senior, so not sure how I can get hold of some. I've tried multiple grocery stores as well. Any suggestions?
Make friends with a local senior and offer to help each other. Who knows, maybe they need a ride to the store to buy their wipes!

RiotAct

Post by RiotAct » Sat May 16, 2020 6:40 pm

Hockey10 wrote:
At our local grocery store, the aisle that has the Clorox wipes has been empty for over 2 months. However, in the section where travel sized items are sold, they sometimes have 20 packs of Wet Ones anti-bacterial wipes.
same thing at my local Wegmans! Except, I found them in the beer section... lol (which is kinda close to the cleaning aisle, admittedly)

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Sat May 16, 2020 7:12 pm

celia wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:25 pm
mancich wrote:
Make friends with a local senior and offer to help each other. Who knows, maybe they need a ride to the store to buy their wipes!
Is being next to each other in a car "social distancing" if both wear masks? I have not ridden in the car with anyone but unit family in the last 2 months, doubt I would give anyone a ride for a while.

csm

Post by csm » Sat May 16, 2020 7:34 pm

I finally bought my first disinfectant wipes since this whole thing started yesterday.

For two months, I'd tried Walmart, Costco, Publix, Walgreens, Aldi, Amazon, Lowes, Ace - all multiple times without success.

Yesterday we went to Costco and got to the check out. The woman ahead of us had a 5-pack of Clorox wipes so I asked where she found them (all the way in the back corner of the store). I ran for them.

As I was on the way, every person coming from the opposite direction had a pack in their carts and as I was getting closer, I could see the case diminishing. But I managed to get a 5-pack.

Then I ran back to where my husband had just finished at the check-out and the next person in line behind us had a heaping cart of at least a hundred items. Breathless, I just made it in time so the cashier could check out my single item purchase before she started on the next customer.

As we were loading our groceries and waiting for an item to be delivered from the back, at least three other people asked me where I got the Clorox wipes. So I think we were just in the right place at the right time to finally snag a batch for the first time after searching for two months.

Now, can someone tell me where I can get hand sanitizer? It's only to have with me for when I don't have access to soap and water, so I'd even be happy with a travel size.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sat May 16, 2020 7:54 pm

Disinfecting wipes are disinfecting because they have Alkyl.
https://smartlabel.labelinsight.com/pro ... ngredients

If you are willing to forgo the wipe part, you can find plenty of cleaners with Alkyl: clorox, 409, lysol, and other brands.

Simply use a 3M microfiber cloth, or a paper towel.

I expect that the difficulty of finding wipes has to do with the shortage on the cloth (wipe), and not the chemical.

Chemical is plentiful, and you only need something like 0.2-0.3%.
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Sat May 16, 2020 7:57 pm

csm wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:34 pm
Now, can someone tell me where I can get hand sanitizer? It's only to have with me for when I don't have access to soap and water, so I'd even be happy with a travel size.
I saw 60 oz (yes, six-oh) bottles of hand sanitizer on sale at Walmart Online yesterday, for same-day pickup at the location nearest me. I didn't really need any so I passed up the opportunity. A few hours later when I thought "well, what the heck... better safe than sorry" they were sold out.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sat May 16, 2020 7:58 pm

We have several friends, neighbors, and acquaintances who probably never used Clorox wipes.

Now, all of them are looking for clorox wipes. I suspect that the increased demand and stocking up is causing this.

We usually have the Costco 5pack, 85 wipes each, and it lasts us 6 months or a bit longer. With COVID, I think we use 3-4 per day, so that is around 140 days for the 5-pack. I have started extending the life of a single wipe. I use it in one pass, but when it gets dry, I just spray some disinfectant (409, clorox, etc).
"A Republic, if you can keep it". Benjamin Franklin. 1787. | Party affiliation: Vanguard. Religion: low-cost investing.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Sat May 16, 2020 8:02 pm

+1 on Target. It is where I got mine. Definitely check the travel aisle because they had their travel packs of EverSpring disinfecting wipes, although those are for items and not hands. I believe they are "Natural" but I figured they are better than nothing. For hands, I ordered one $20 bottle of sanitizer from this company and my wife loves the grapefruit scent. Figured it would last me a long time, although spending $20 plus tax was somewhat painful. https://byhumankind.com/products/hand-sanitizer

startwithtruth

Post by startwithtruth » Sat May 16, 2020 8:03 pm

You could try keeping an eye out on costco.com for the 4-pack of Kirkland Signature wipes (Item #1210513), although I'm not seeing them on the site now. They were offered as part of their old "2-day Delivery" (now running a couple of weeks) which unfortunately has a $75 minimum and charges higher prices than my local store. It took 3 weeks for them to arrive.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sat May 16, 2020 8:07 pm

tooluser wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:57 pm
csm wrote:
I saw 60 oz (yes, six-oh) bottles of hand sanitizer on sale at Walmart Online yesterday, for same-day pickup at the location nearest me. I didn't really need any so I passed up the opportunity. A few hours later when I thought "well, what the heck... better safe than sorry" they were sold out.
60 ounce is not that much. Our typical household ones are the purell 32 ounce ones, with a pump.

I once bought a 32 ounce CVS one for $3.99, with a pump. Still have have of it (expiration: 2021).

Someone I know bought a gallon hand sanitizer from Costco.
That is 128 ounces.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Sat May 16, 2020 8:16 pm

AlphaLess wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:07 pm
tooluser wrote:
csm wrote:
60 ounce is not that much.
I emphasized the numbers so one would not think it was a typo.

IMO

Post by IMO » Sat May 16, 2020 8:20 pm

Make you own. Take whatever disinfectant you have (we use this stuff called OdoBan where the 1 gallon concentrate makes 15 gallons), put some in a big ziplock bag and then fill it up with paper towels to the point where they are definitively soaked).

yohac

Post by yohac » Sat May 16, 2020 8:32 pm

csm wrote:
Walmart.com has 6 and 16 ounce bottles available right now. Two day shipping, limit 1 each. We just got ours yesterday.

Helo80

Post by Helo80 » Sat May 16, 2020 8:43 pm

tooluser wrote:
csm wrote:

Careful now... 60 oz is suspiciously close to a handle and many of the distilleries have been temporarily halting production of the good stuff to help a country in need. That being said, I've seen some of this "hand sanitizer" at a local grocery store and it look like rubbing alcohol bottled in a close to generic liquor bottle. It was the consistency of rubbing alcohol and not hand gel sanitizer like Purel.

(I have no idea what qualifies as hand sanitizer, and I know that Purel and Germ-X are mostly gelled alcohol.... but when grocery stores sell "hand sanitizer".... I expect it to be in gel form... not rubbing alcohol)

peetsperk

Post by peetsperk » Sat May 16, 2020 9:34 pm

There are numerous Youtube videos on how to make DYI disinfecting wipes using paper towels. I cut a roll of high-quality paper towels (Scott's Shop Towels) in half and place in a plastic coffee container with a hole cut in the top. I pour Lysol Disinfecting liquid diluted per label directions over the towels and then remove the center tube and pull each towel from the center. Works like a charm for much less money.

avidlearner

Post by avidlearner » Sat May 16, 2020 9:38 pm

I am in the same boat and using paper towel and clorox cocentrated bleach solution+ water (1:3 water ratio) to disinfect packed groceries (not vegetables). But paper towel dissolves fast so after seeing this I realized I have a lot of baby wipes so I might dip them in bleach solution and use them instead.

RickyAZ

Post by RickyAZ » Sat May 16, 2020 9:44 pm

Go to Walmart.com. Type in Clorox disinfecting wipes. Will probably say out of stock but look for "More delivery & pickup options". Put in your zip code. It'll tell you if they are in stock (and yes, it does update). Snagged some at a WMT that I don't normally visit in North Phoenix (20 minutes away, but then everything is 20 minutes away out here)

As far as making your own 1:50 bleach to water is all you need. Take out the cardboard insert from you paper towel roll. Works fine

musicmom

Post by musicmom » Sat May 16, 2020 10:01 pm

Amazon.
I searched "disinfectant wipes" every morning for two weeks.
First came across a 3 pack of assorted scent Clorox wipes, limit one pack. It said only 5 left....nabbed one.

A week later, i came across a 2 pack of large Solimo brand wipes. Amazon house brand, same formulation.
It said none in stock but order now and we'll ship later.
That order is coming june 10.

Im goi g to donate some of these to our soecial needs daughters shared group home.
Theyre been in lockdown for about 7 weeks.

Be persistent. Good luck!

Fulltimer

Post by Fulltimer » Sat May 16, 2020 10:38 pm

I had good luck with Sams Club when I was trying to get some for my mom. I kept the window up and checking throughout the day for a couple days. At this point in time they have Clorox wipes in stock for shipping.

McCharley

Post by McCharley » Sat May 16, 2020 10:48 pm

The CDC has still not recorded a single case of transmission off a surface.

You should probably worry less about this route. :sharebeer

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Sat May 16, 2020 10:54 pm

I found them at the Dollar Store. They had a lot of them but I just picked up one box to use on airplanes when traveling. Of course the box is still unopened, given the state of traveling right now.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Sat May 16, 2020 10:58 pm

we buy when things are on sale and stock up, so we were decently prepared, but one trick we have found is that eveyrone is looking for "lysol" there is a windex disinfectant that I have gotten three times in the past two weeks, just to have extra.

celia

Post by celia » Sun May 17, 2020 1:16 am

csm wrote:
Now, can someone tell me where I can get hand sanitizer? It's only to have with me for when I don't have access to soap and water...
I saw a lot at the 99 Cents Only store yesterday.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.

Topic Author
mancich

Post by mancich » Sun May 17, 2020 4:11 am

peetsperk wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:34 pm
There are numerous Youtube videos on how to make DYI disinfecting wipes using paper towels. I cut a roll of high-quality paper towels (Scott's Shop Towels) in half and place in a plastic coffee container with a hole cut in the top. I pour Lysol Disinfecting liquid diluted per label directions over the towels and then remove the center tube and pull each towel from the center. Works like a charm for much less money.
This is a great idea, thank you!

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun May 17, 2020 11:51 am

celia wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:25 pm
mancich wrote:
I have always seen stores stocking up through out the day. I don't think the store employees work like demons overnight. Certainly when I go in at old people hours, I see empty shelves. I prefer not to see Seniors demonized as snarfing things up. We have enough trouble with people trying to throw us to the wolves because we are among the most vulnerable.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Sun May 17, 2020 12:18 pm

IMO wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:20 pm
Make your own. Take whatever disinfectant you have (we use this stuff called OdoBan where the 1 gallon concentrate makes 15 gallons), put some in a big ziplock bag and then fill it up with paper towels to the point where they are definitively soaked).
+1 - we did this but use dish cloths plus bleach and water. I carry them in the car to wipe down the doors and steering wheel after removing gloves. I also keep some in the kitchen, used to wipe down the counter after the bags have been decanted and the groceries put away.

I do have to be careful about not dripping it on my clothes, but I'm fine with that...

IMO

Post by IMO » Sun May 17, 2020 12:23 pm

McCharley wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:48 pm

That's kinda funny.

It's a bit hard to record if a transmission occurred via a contaminated surface vs. exposure to airborne droplets. I didn't know the CDC was actively investigating each and every positive case to determine "exactly" how someone was exposed, let alone "exactly" the means of transmission.

The general recommendation for protection for infectious diseases in general, including respiratory diseases, is good hand washing. This makes sense in life, putting aside the current pandemic. Did the CDC or any other organization change their stance on handwashing?

So the simple logic follows, your washing your hands because a surface was contaminated. Using disinfectant wipes is attempting to go a step further and stop the cycle before one touches a surface that may have been contaminated by coughing or other other means that droplets ended up on any particular surface.

The CDC in it's great wisdom also originally came out recommending that for a contagious RESPIRATORY disease, one doesn't need to wear a mask. Then they took a step back and said, it is recommended that a mask or face covering be used. The logic being "your not really protecting yourself from infection with said mask/face covering, but your protecting others" and it is inferred your lowering the spread of droplets into the air and onto surfaces.

Personally, I think the recommendations have been brought out in their sequence to avoid mass panic. The best recommendation from the start would be that everyone should use an N95 mask. An educated person can make that inference. But I suspect this was not recommended because there is no way the US had some nearly 300 million N95 masks available for the general public to obtain, let alone for the medical communities needs. And that has absolutely nothing to do with politics. Some studies apparently show social distances helps, so that's the easy recommendation.

Early on, given I had a leftover N95 mask from some construction, of course I opted to wear that prior to any CDC advice for a non N95 mask/face covering. While that may help me from spreading the virus, the goal of my mask was to protect ME. I don't need the CDC to tell me that someone should wear an N95 mask to protect themselves. Just makes logical sense.

So, bottom line, I think the OP is doing the correct thing, being concerned about contaminated surfaces and using disinfecting wipes.

I actually worry more that almost all wipes are not being used properly. Read the label on your disinfectant, it likely says the surface needs to be kept moist with the disinfectant for at least 1 minute. I watch videos/TV of disinfection wiping being done and think, looks more like people are just spreading the virus around to different surfaces vs. putting enough disinfectant on long enough to properly kill any virus/bacteria. The best way is to have a disinfectant sprayed on everything which is what you see is more common in Asian countries. I think airlines may have started some spray atomization devices?

Best of luck.

IMO

Post by IMO » Sun May 17, 2020 12:45 pm

Sandi_k wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:18 pm
IMO wrote:
Make your own. Take whatever disinfectant you have (we use this stuff called OdoBan where the 1 gallon concentrate makes 15 gallons), put some in a big ziplock bag and then fill it up with paper towels to the point where they are definitively soaked).
+1 - we did this but use dish cloths plus bleach and water. I carry them in the car to wipe down the doors and steering wheel after removing gloves. I also keep some in the kitchen, used to wipe down the counter after the bags have been decanted and the groceries put away.

I do have to be careful about not dripping it on my clothes, but I'm fine with that...
Yeah simple. But I'm a little concerned about beach on some surfaces. Probably not a big deal, but I've heard it can be harder on some surfaces, but then again, I doubt the disinfectant I used has been evaluated much on it's effect on various surfaces (such as car leather).

The other heads up people should have about bleach is eye concerns. Not great idea to get that on your fingers and then mess with your contact lenses.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun May 17, 2020 2:02 pm

IMO wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:23 pm
McCharley wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:48 pm

That's kinda funny.

It's a bit hard to record if a transmission occurred via a contaminated surface vs. exposure to airborne droplets. I didn't know the CDC was actively investigating each and every positive case to determine "exactly" how someone was exposed, let alone "exactly" the means of transmission.

The general recommendation for protection for infectious diseases in general, including respiratory diseases, is good hand washing. This makes sense in life, putting aside the current pandemic. Did the CDC or any other organization change their stance on handwashing?

So the simple logic follows, your washing your hands because a surface was contaminated. Using disinfectant wipes is attempting to go a step further and stop the cycle before one touches a surface that may have been contaminated by coughing or other other means that droplets ended up on any particular surface.

The CDC in it's great wisdom also originally came out recommending that for a contagious RESPIRATORY disease, one doesn't need to wear a mask. Then they took a step back and said, it is recommended that a mask or face covering be used. The logic being "your not really protecting yourself from infection with said mask/face covering, but your protecting others" and it is inferred your lowering the spread of droplets into the air and onto surfaces.

Personally, I think the recommendations have been brought out in their sequence to avoid mass panic. The best recommendation from the start would be that everyone should use an N95 mask. An educated person can make that inference. But I suspect this was not recommended because there is no way the US had some nearly 300 million N95 masks available for the general public to obtain, let alone for the medical communities needs. And that has absolutely nothing to do with politics. Some studies apparently show social distances helps, so that's the easy recommendation.

Early on, given I had a leftover N95 mask from some construction, of course I opted to wear that prior to any CDC advice for a non N95 mask/face covering. While that may help me from spreading the virus, the goal of my mask was to protect ME. I don't need the CDC to tell me that someone should wear an N95 mask to protect themselves. Just makes logical sense.

So, bottom line, I think the OP is doing the correct thing, being concerned about contaminated surfaces and using disinfecting wipes.

I actually worry more that almost all wipes are not being used properly. Read the label on your disinfectant, it likely says the surface needs to be kept moist with the disinfectant for at least 1 minute. I watch videos/TV of disinfection wiping being done and think, looks more like people are just spreading the virus around to different surfaces vs. putting enough disinfectant on long enough to properly kill any virus/bacteria. The best way is to have a disinfectant sprayed on everything which is what you see is more common in Asian countries. I think airlines may have started some spray atomization devices?

Best of luck.
I don't believe the CDC can determine how everyone has gotten the coronavirus. How the heck do they know whether some people have gotten it from surfaces. They do have any number of cases where the origin is not known.

Normally I don't wear a tinfoil hat, but the CDC has not distinguished itself in this epidemic.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Sun May 17, 2020 2:30 pm

Sandi_k wrote:
IMO wrote:

Just FYI, bleach does not mix well with stainless steel surfaces that coat refrigerators and dishwashers.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Sun May 17, 2020 2:45 pm

IMO wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 12:45 pm
Sandi_k wrote:
IMO wrote:

Yeah simple. But I'm a little concerned about beach on some surfaces. Probably not a big deal, but I've heard it can be harder on some surfaces, but then again, I doubt the disinfectant I used has been evaluated much on it's effect on various surfaces (such as car leather).

The other heads up people should have about bleach is eye concerns. Not great idea to get that on your fingers and then mess with your contact lenses.
All the chemicals that work are caustic and dangerous in some form or another. If bleach/chlorine is diluted in enough water it's relatively safe (heck, people swim in pools of it)... but the more it's diluted the less well it works, there's a careful balance people need to watch for.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Sun May 17, 2020 6:20 pm

Cruise wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:30 pm
Sandi_k wrote:
IMO wrote:

Just FYI, bleach does not mix well with stainless steel surfaces that coat refrigerators and dishwashers.
Thanks, ours are not SS.

Texgal17

Post by Texgal17 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:59 pm

I was finally able to snag one container from Walmart early in the morning after an appointment. And I only use them in my bathrooms to clean toilets and sinks. But if I hadn’t found any, then Lysol and paper towels it is.....