Anyone booking flights for 2021 travel?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
atl2005

Anyone booking flights for 2021 travel?

Post by atl2005 »

My wife and I go skiing in Steamboat Springs every January and the flights are very cheap right now compared to the last several years. I think we are going to go ahead and book the flights and pay for the insurance in case something happens again in the winter season.

We are still planning on going to St. John next month. Delta cancelled our flight but we booked through American and saved about $500. Anyone else flying this year or booking for next year travel?
galawdawg

Re: Anyone booking flights for 2021 travel?

Post by galawdawg »

We have a trip planned and booked to the Caribbean for late November. We also purchased trip insurance.

Go Dawgs! :sharebeer
Topic Author
atl2005

Post by atl2005 »

galawdawg wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:09 am We have a trip planned and booked to the Caribbean for late November. We also purchased trip insurance.

I'm still holding out hope to be in Sanford Stadium a couple times this fall. :D
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

You sound like you're experienced travelers, so I'm saying this for the benefit of those readers who are not. Read the fine print on your trip insurance closely. Most travel insurance will cover you if you get sick and are unable to fly. It WILL NOT cover you if there is a pandemic at your destination and you are afraid to fly.

There IS travel insurance that will allow you to cancel for any reason, but it is much more expensive.

If you find yourself in that situation, your best bet is to hold on and see if the airline cancels your reservation themselves. If they do so, then you are entitled to a full refund versus a credit.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

All good observations on travel insurance.

And sorry OP, I just noticed you asked about flights for 2021 travel, our trip is for November 2020! And hopefully we'll be able to catch the Tech game on TV while at our destination.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

Delta only books 331 days out (currently through April 10, 2021), but I'm going to book a flight to Boston for next year's marathon (April 20, 2021) as soon as the window opens, at least if the price (in miles) is reasonable. I took a refund for this year's postponed Boston Marathon when the BAA offered, because I was skeptical that they would be able to hold it on their make-up date on September 14. (If the BAA ends up canceling, they won't be able to offer everyone refunds.)

I currently have 3 flights booked for the remainder of this year: Labor Day weekend to Atlanta; late September to Grand Forks, ND; and early December to Sacramento.

The Atlanta trip is doubtful. My younger son and I have gone to DragonCon each of the last 5 years, since he was in 6th grade. I'm skeptical that they'll be able to have the convention this year. It involves packing 85,000 people from all over into 5 downtown Atlanta conference hotels for 5 days of panels and parties. There is absolutely no room for social distancing. Seating is shoulder-to-shoulder. Neither of us have ever gotten sick, but "con crud" is an acknowledged phenomenon for a lot of folks after these kind of events under normal circumstances.

The Grand Forks trip is for a small marathon with 135 finishers last year. I expect that one is very likely to happen. Depending on who shows up and how my training goes, I might have a chance to win. (Last year, the winning time was 2:52, with only 3 runners under 3:00.)

The Sacramento trip is for the much larger California International Marathon. To encourage folks to go ahead and register they have guaranteed free transfer entries to any one of the next three runnings if they have to cancel this year's race. CIM draws a lot of fast runners. (Last year, there were 1,063 runners under 3:00.)

All my flights and lodging plans are fully cancelable and refundable under the terms at time of purchase. The flights were all purchased with miles, so a "refund" just means crediting the miles back.
bberris

Post by bberris »

Does trip insurance cover fear of getting a virus? My credit card-issue insurance rejected our claim.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

I am not booking anything for next summer until I see how things go this fall, and we get a better sense of if/when a vaccine is coming.

Many states that reopened early are having (sadly predicted) hotspots re-emerge. I thinking continuing on and off lockdows will be with us for some time.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

ugaDAWGS09 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:12 am
galawdawg wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:09 am We have a trip planned and booked to the Caribbean for late November. We also purchased trip insurance.

I'm still holding out hope to be in Sanford Stadium a couple times this fall. :D
First I hate that place and second I hope you are right!!! :sharebeer
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

bberris wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:18 am Does trip insurance cover fear of getting a virus? My credit card-issue insurance rejected our claim.
Only if you have "cancel for any reason" coverage, which I don't believe is available with credit card issuer travel protections (such as travel coverage available on Chase Sapphire Reserve). Usually "cancel for any reason" is an extra cost add-on when you purchase separate trip insurance. You can go to https://www.insuremytrip.com/ to look at trip insurance policies and pricing for that coverage.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I am not booking flights for 2020 or 2021 as long as the coronavirus is still widespread. The key elements of travel (aircraft, taxis, hotels, restaurants, etc) are the opposite of social distancing, and I consider the medical risks to be too high.
stl717

Post by stl717 »

We are traveling next week, so no, we haven't booked 2021 travel, but we have booked 2020 travel.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

I never book that far in advance, so no.
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

I'm holding out. I am going to have a bunch of frequent flyer miles orphaned with different programs due to transferring miles in from programs like Amex and Citi....58K miles at Aeroplan, 30K at Lifemiles, 30K at Turkish. I'm hoping to use them at the next available opportunity, but getting some of these miles back has been a huge hassle. I don't want to go through any of that nonsense again until I can be reasonably confident the trip will actually happen.

The exception will be I have a lot of event tickets to the Olympics which have been pushed to Summer 2021. I will book award flights for that when they come available and then just cancel if necessary.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I've booked a cruise for 2021, but not flights. I will wait on the flights to see how things "shake out" with the pandemic.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Normchad wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:18 pm I've booked a cruise for 2021, but not flights. I will wait on the flights to see how things "shake out" with the pandemic.
Ditto. My cruise is for July 2021, so not even possible yet to reserve on Delta. I want to book as early as possible to get preferred seats on the daily direct flight, but I will wait, if I have to, to see how things are opening up … or not.
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I wonder how expensive the tickets will be if you really remove the middle seats.
dpm321

Post by dpm321 »

flyingaway wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:29 pm I wonder how expensive the tickets will be if you really remove the middle seats.
Very... :happy
dpm321

Post by dpm321 »

We have reservations for the Caribbean in November and Australia in January. Based on the train wreck going on here it will be interesting to see if foreign countries block Americans from entry. I wouldn’t be surprised at all.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

ugaDAWGS09 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:12 am

“If they try and cancel college football the SEC will have a vaccine by Friday” :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMDNsHb-sI4
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
praxis

Post by praxis »

We are holding refundable tickets for a tour in France this September 2020. If the tour cancels, we will decide whether to rebook same dates for 2021. If the tour cancels, we will ask for a refund on the air portion and the hotels for the days we had planned to extend. I seriously doubt if this tour will happen this year. The tour company has cancelled all summer tours through Aug 15. This tour company takes over 30,000 travelers to Europe each year.
A440

Post by A440 »

wolf359 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:13 am You sound like you're experienced travelers, so I'm saying this for the benefit of those readers who are not. Read the fine print on your trip insurance closely. Most travel insurance will cover you if you get sick and are unable to fly. It WILL NOT cover you if there is a pandemic at your destination and you are afraid to fly.

There IS travel insurance that will allow you to cancel for any reason, but it is much more expensive.

If you find yourself in that situation, your best bet is to hold on and see if the airline cancels your reservation themselves. If they do so, then you are entitled to a full refund versus a credit.
We purchased travel insurance for our spring trip. It was cancelled due to the pandemic. Insurance would not pay. Fortunately, the main cost (airfare) is good through 2021. Everything else was refundable.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

There is no cheap insurance that works for high probability events.
The probability to have travel concealed is in tens of percents nowadays. As such this is the price for insurance, tens of percents of insured cost.
When the cost/probability is so high, insurance does not make sense anymore. You are better off self insuring (supporting the cost).
magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter »

dpm321 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:49 pm We have reservations for the Caribbean in November and Australia in January. Based on the train wreck going on here it will be interesting to see if foreign countries block Americans from entry. I wouldn’t be surprised at all.
I don’t know about the Caribbean, but I’d be very surprised if your trip to Australia goes forward in January. It sounds like Australia and New Zealand will limit visitors to only residents of those two nations for quite awhile. I hope I’m wrong. I agree that I wonder if U.S. visitors will be blocked or discouraged in some countries by requiring a quarantine.
magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter »

Starfish wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:13 pm There is no cheap insurance that works for high probability events.
The probability to have travel concealed is in tens of percents nowadays. As such this is the price for insurance, tens of percents of insured cost.
When the cost/probability is so high, insurance does not make sense anymore. You are better off self insuring (supporting the cost).
I never used to buy trip insurance but did buy it for flights in 2020 to Montreal and Copenhagen. I will think twice before buying it again. My friend had it for a river cruise and it didn’t help her either.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

I had a booking to South Africa in December via Delta and KLM. I also had trip insurance. Delta sent me an email that the KLM flight had been changed and I would have to make changes to my flight. I thought that I might be able to get an ecredit. I followed the instructions and cancelled but there was no ecredit. The website told me to call Delta but they were only taking calls about the next days flight. I had also booked and paid for accommodation and flights to three locations so I could not wait too long before cancelling these. I have no intention of sitting on a two hour connecting flight and then a 15 hour flight to Cape town with the present uncertainties - maybe in 2 years time. It is not only about me but some of my relatives whom I would be visiting are elderly with underlying medical conditions.

I do not think that spending hours talking to the insurance company or Delta will make any difference. So I have lost close to $2,000
Alaska_Skeeter

Post by Alaska_Skeeter »

jharkin wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:23 am I am not booking anything for next summer until I see how things go this fall, and we get a better sense of if/when a vaccine is coming.

Many states that reopened early are having (sadly predicted) hotspots re-emerge. I thinking continuing on and off lockdows will be with us for some time.
Wish there was a "like button" for posts such as that!
I will wait until there is a vaccine, from the perspective that a pandemic occurs about every 100 years,
and I want to minimize spreading COVID-19.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

jhfenton wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:57 am Delta only books 331 days out (currently through April 10, 2021), but I'm going to book a flight to Boston for next year's marathon (April 20, 2021) as soon as the window opens, at least if the price (in miles) is reasonable. I took a refund for this year's postponed Boston Marathon when the BAA offered, because I was skeptical that they would be able to hold it on their make-up date on September 14. (If the BAA ends up canceling, they won't be able to offer everyone refunds.
I just booked my trip to Boston next April on Delta. Prices were below average for non-stop Cincinnati to Boston (16,000 miles for Basic Economy, 23,000 for Main Cabin, 26,000 for Comfort+, 32,000 for First Class).

Delta's current flexible change policy extends for tickets purchased through May 31, 2020. They might extend it beyond that, but they haven't yet. As it stands, I can change or cancel the ticket with no change fees. And since I purchased it with miles, canceling just means that they redeposit the miles. (If I bought with cash, canceling would result in a time-limited e-credit.)

I haven't researched hotels yet. I may book something cancelable, and then look at AirBNB options in the fall, depending on the situation. I originally had a room in a house with a delightful family booked for this year's Boston. If I were traveling today, that wouldn't be an attractive option. There may also be a group of us running Boston next year, whereas this year I was the only one in the running group going. (It was supposed to be my first marathon as a 50-year-old. Now I guess it'll be my first marathon as a 51-year-old.)
avenger

Post by avenger »

Just booked round trip nonstop to Puerto Vallarta for 80,000 chase sapphire points in February. We were in before the May 31st deadline with AA so we can cancel for vouchers without reason. We’re doing a 10 day trip with another couple.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, BND, VTEB, SV fund]
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Alaska_Skeeter wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:50 am
jharkin wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:23 am I am not booking anything for next summer until I see how things go this fall, and we get a better sense of if/when a vaccine is coming.

Wish there was a "like button" for posts such as that!
I will wait until there is a vaccine, from the perspective that a pandemic occurs about every 100 years,
and I want to minimize spreading COVID-19.
You may be waiting a really long time because a vaccine is no guarantee. I'm planning travel (domestically) in the Fall. I'm just living my life and taking the precautions I deem necessary. Probably won't look at traveling internationally until sometime next summer of Fall.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

We are right now trying to decide if we should book flights for a May 2021 Trip to Europe. We have the miles and usually book far out ahead to get first class seats at a good mileage price. I might just go for it knowing I might lose the fee to book and the fee to return the miles to my account if we should change our mind (due to a second wave next year or something) and push the trip out a bit.
gtg970g

Post by gtg970g »

Delta is offering a very generous change policy for all flights purchased through June 30. You can change your flight for any reason up to a year after the original booking even with the lowest cost fare. On top of this flights are currently very cheap. I have a flight in September booked but if the small event is cancelled or postponed I can simply re-book the flight for free. I think some other airlines may have similar policies in place but have not checked the details.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

stl717 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:25 am We are traveling next week, so no, we haven't booked 2021 travel, but we have booked 2020 travel.
Agreed - we have booked 2020 travel flights, not up to 2021 yet.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

Better check your trip insurance. It doesnt cover global pandemics. Probably covers hurricanes though.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

A440 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:55 pm
wolf359 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:13 am You sound like you're experienced travelers, so I'm saying this for the benefit of those readers who are not. Read the fine print on your trip insurance closely. Most travel insurance will cover you if you get sick and are unable to fly. It WILL NOT cover you if there is a pandemic at your destination and you are afraid to fly.

We purchased travel insurance for our spring trip. It was cancelled due to the pandemic. Insurance would not pay. Fortunately, the main cost (airfare) is good through 2021. Everything else was refundable.
From what I understand, you have to be on your death bed for travel insurance to pay...and even then, good luck. One of the biggest scams people still fall for...travel insurance.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

ponyboy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:57 am

From what I understand, you have to be on your death bed for travel insurance to pay...and even then, good luck. One of the biggest scams people still fall for...travel insurance.
Not in our experience - know what you are buying and shop the insurance as well.
Watty

Post by Watty »

With all the posts about people not being able to get refunds for flights the airlines canceled there is no way that I would book tickets far in advance unless it was with points.
dpm321 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:49 pm ... Based on the train wreck going on here it will be interesting to see if foreign countries block Americans from entry. I wouldn’t be surprised at all.
You also need to consider what the US rules will be for returning from whatever country you go to.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

ponyboy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:56 am

Better check your trip insurance. It doesnt cover global pandemics.
Do you have any evidence to support that statement? Exactly what coverage is excluded as you assert and what is the basis for that exclusion?
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

Not for 2021 yet although I would like to do a beach vacation in the winter or spring. Still trying to see what COVID looks like in the next few months before moving ahead with those plans.

I do have a trip booked to Florida in November 2020 though for a wedding. I assume that's safe since Florida seems to be relatively aggressive with reopening.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

galawdawg wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:07 am

Do you have any evidence to support that statement? Exactly what coverage is excluded as you assert and what is the basis for that exclusion?
Insurance I have looked have been declaring -- sometimes in bright red text -- that cancellation by customer due to COVID-19 pandemic is not a "covered" cause.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

GerryL wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:00 pm
galawdawg wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:07 am

Insurance I have looked have been declaring -- sometimes in bright red text -- that cancellation by customer due to COVID-19 pandemic is not a "covered" cause.
When reviewing insurance coverage or other legal matters, it is important to be precise and accurate. Do they in fact declare "cancellation by customer due to COVID-19 pandemic is not a "covered" cause" or do they instead say "cancellation by customer for FEAR TO TRAVEL due to COVID-19 pandemic is not a "covered" cause" (or similar terms)?

Cancellation by the customer due to fear of COVID is not covered UNLESS the customer has added cancel for any reason coverage which is usually at additional cost. That is not an exclusion, rather the insurance company is pointing out that (without cancel for any reason coverage) there are only a few covered reasons that cancellation by the customer is permitted.

However, the policies I have reviewed DO provide coverage for customer cancellation due to sickness of the customer or traveling companion, hospitalization of the customer or traveling companion or quarantine of the customer or traveling companion. They also provide, if cancel for any reason coverage is purchased, coverage for cancellation by the customer without requiring a reason from the customer.

However, a broad statement that trip insurance "doesn't cover global pandemics" is inaccurate at best, false at worst. Each policy should be reviewed for terms and conditions of coverage.
learningtime

Post by learningtime »

Nothing planned for 2021 yet. We have 3 international trips planned for 2020 that are almost certainly not happening although I am hopeful.
Scotland in August (not a chance), Athens in November and Grand Cayman in December.

We've never planned this far in advance but the one year I do it, that ends up being 2020 which is shaping up to be a ridiculous year.
A440

Post by A440 »

ponyboy wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:57 am

The same company that denied my claim during the pandemic did pay back a few years when I hurt my back and couldn't go to Disney with the family. It wasn't too difficult to get our money refunded.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
grtwallchina75

Post by grtwallchina75 »

Hi Galawdawg,

We are planning to fly to Calcutta, India from San Diego this Dec, 2020 with Flight cost for DW, I and my 2 kids for 6K

I tried this website you mentioned below and Coverage cost for Cancel for Any Reason (should there is a 2nd wave in Fall) is around $256 but it also says, 'other conditions apply' for Cancel for Any reason, Do you know what they are, assuming you might have purchased insurance with same terms ?

Here is my quote:

https://www.insuremytrip.com/quote-comp ... sive,ccfar

I'll appreciate any feedback and thank you for posting the insuremytrip link.
galawdawg wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:30 am
bberris wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:18 am Does trip insurance cover fear of getting a virus? My credit card-issue insurance rejected our claim.
Only if you have "cancel for any reason" coverage, which I don't believe is available with credit card issuer travel protections (such as travel coverage available on Chase Sapphire Reserve). Usually "cancel for any reason" is an extra cost add-on when you purchase separate trip insurance. You can go to https://www.insuremytrip.com/ to look at trip insurance policies and pricing for that coverage.
kramer

Post by kramer »

I am first focusing on Summer and Fall travel 2020. I will book with fairly short notice, this seems to be the best way to minimize last minute problems with flight and hotel bookings.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

confusedinvestor wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:37 am Hi Galawdawg,

We are planning to fly to Calcutta, India from San Diego this Dec, 2020 with Flight cost for DW, I and my 2 kids for 6K

I tried this website you mentioned below and Coverage cost for Cancel for Any Reason (should there is a 2nd wave in Fall) is around $256 but it also says, 'other conditions apply' for Cancel for Any reason, Do you know what they are, assuming you might have purchased insurance with same terms ?

Here is my quote:

You would need to review the certificate of coverage for each plan you are considering and decide what works best for your situation. Just click on Plan Info for each quoted plan and you should see a link to the Certificate of Coverage on each.

Remember, usually CFAR usually only refunds 75% of your non-refundable trip costs so you need to consider that when deciding whether to purchase the coverage. In some cases where you know you will travel eventually, even if you postpone your trip, if the airline offers future travel credits if you cancel your trip (as many are doing currently for trips through the end of 2020) it may be more cost-effective to skip the CFAR coverage and accept airline travel credits. Entirely a personal choice.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

confusedinvestor wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:37 am Hi Galawdawg,

Here is my quote:

galawdawg wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:30 am
Another place to check for comparison quotes is The Trip Insurance Store (https://tripinsurancestore.com/), which I learned about on this forum and have been doing business with now for several years. If you still have questions about insurance plans you are considering, you can call and talk to Steve. He has been very helpful and friendly.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

flyingaway wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:29 pm I wonder how expensive the tickets will be if you really remove the middle seats.
Typically (it varies depending on the seat arrangements, and some widebody layouts like 2-4-2 get hit particularly bad), you'd need 1.5x revenue per passenger, if all else is equal.

It should actually be slightly less, because of reduced per passenger costs (baggage handling, airport fees, fuel consumption, and I think flight attendant numbers).
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

dpm321 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:49 pm We have reservations for the Caribbean in November and Australia in January. Based on the train wreck going on here it will be interesting to see if foreign countries block Americans from entry. I wouldn’t be surprised at all.
+1

Australians and New Zealanders were on top of this.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

iamlucky13 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:20 am
Typically (it varies depending on the seat arrangements, and some widebody layouts like 2-4-2 get hit particularly bad), you'd need 1.5x revenue per passenger, if all else is equal.

It should actually be slightly less, because of reduced per passenger costs (baggage handling, airport fees, fuel consumption, and I think flight attendant numbers).
I just checked my reservation to Europe in late September. Delta has posted a message about blocked seats until October. I saw that the middle seats (in my 4-seat Comfort+ row) are X'd out. Can't see what's going on in the other sections. Looking at the return flight in October, no X's.