Dentist charges $10 for PPE

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

Dentist charges $10 for PPE

Post by Kennedy » Wed May 13, 2020 12:01 pm

I just had a cleaning/exam visit with my dentist. I have insurance and the bill for my cleanings generally does not have a co-pay. However, this time she charged me $10 to pay for their PPE.

I really like this dentist and have never had a problem with her before, so I just paid it and left.

Shouldn't the dentist and hygienist be wearing PPE anyway, something I usually don't have to pay for? And with their contract with my insurance company, aren't I guaranteed no co-pay? This seems like an odd expense to pass along to the customer, but maybe I'm wrong here.

Sure, it's only $10 for me, but the rest of my family have upcoming appointments so I'll be paying that fee for each one of them.

I really didn't notice what kind of mask they were wearing, so perhaps it was an N95, which costs more than a surgical mask. But is the difference in price really $10? I'm wondering if the fee could also be making up for the fewer patients she will see during the day due to increased time for turn-overs.

Should I have raised the issue in the office before I left, or is my concern unwarranted? I'm not sure how to handle this when the rest of the family goes in for their visits.

bob60014

Re: Dentist charges $10 for PPE

Post by bob60014 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:08 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:01 pm
Should I have raised the issue in the office before I left, or is my concern unwarranted?

Of course.

KellyT

Post by KellyT » Wed May 13, 2020 12:10 pm

I would have insisted that all charges be billed through insurance and refused to pay. If your dentist sees 20 patients a day, that’s an extra 200.00. I find it hard to believe that ppe costs this - especially if they already had them in stock.

msi

Post by msi » Wed May 13, 2020 12:10 pm

That's absurd.

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Wed May 13, 2020 12:13 pm

Interesting, I wonder if this will be a trend. Businesses will obviously have extra costs to deal with the pandemic. I think I would have handled it the same way you did.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Wed May 13, 2020 12:14 pm

Spouse's hair place raised hair cut prices by $6 to cover PPE, cleaning supplies and time spent sanitizing between customers. I expect the practice of passing these additional costs onto customers in some trades/fields will increase. I’ll pay it as I recognize some of these businesses are operating at reduced profits due to COVID-19 restrictions imposed in our heavily-hit state.

I wouldn’t be surprised if take-out restaurants and store with pickups start to charge for these services as the states reopen. Not an issue for me as I haven’t used those services.
Last edited by HomeStretch on Wed May 13, 2020 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Wed May 13, 2020 12:14 pm

The real issue now is that existing stocks, if any, were redirected to hospitals and first responders, leaving many dental supply places without ... supplies. With the COVID-19 issues, that means many dentists are either unable to get any supplies, closing their practice or limiting it to emergencies only. With the usual law of supply and demand, and our national trend towards stocking "just in time" for factories and consumption, any supplies your dentist was able to get were probably at a much inflated premium price. Whether they just add it as a line item or raise their prices, their costs have surely gone up. Suck it up, we are all going to have to pay more for the increased expenses.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

Topic Author
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Wed May 13, 2020 12:17 pm

If I visit my doctor, I can't imagine she could charge me extra money for PPE (outside of my co-pay) without violating an agreement she has with my insurance company. Wouldn't the same be true for my dentist?

orhkaf

Post by orhkaf » Wed May 13, 2020 12:23 pm

That’s ridiculous. I’d go buy a 50 cent surgical mask and 10 cent nitrile gloves and give them to the dental office and demand a refund. $10 is just absurd.

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Wed May 13, 2020 12:24 pm

CAsage wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:14 pm
The real issue now is that existing stocks, if any, were redirected to hospitals and first responders, leaving many dental supply places without ... supplies. With the COVID-19 issues, that means many dentists are either unable to get any supplies, closing their practice or limiting it to emergencies only. With the usual law of supply and demand, and our national trend towards stocking "just in time" for factories and consumption, any supplies your dentist was able to get were probably at a much inflated premium price. Whether they just add it as a line item or raise their prices, their costs have surely gone up. Suck it up, we are all going to have to pay more for the increased expenses.
+1. I have dental, ob-gyn, and eye doctor appointments that were postponed all rescheduled for late June. I expected to have an add-on for these expenses. I'll pay them without comment. All of these businesses (and hair salon) were hit hard by this. While I'm out rent money for the foreseeable future, I still have my salary. I've been lucky in this regard.

Church Lady

Post by Church Lady » Wed May 13, 2020 12:26 pm

Yes, they should be wearing PPE anyway. It is possible it does cost $10 to pay for PPE now as vendors of PPE are price gouging. This morning on TV I saw 10 "non medical" masks being advertised for $29 and change. In January, I picked up 10 of same from the $ store. Outrageous!

You should call your insurance provider and complain. It may be they have violated the contract. At the very least, you will find out if your dentist is allowed to up charge.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.

skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver » Wed May 13, 2020 12:26 pm

Who's your dentist? Our charges $15!

flyfishers83

Post by flyfishers83 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:28 pm

That's interesting, and there's been lots of discussion among the dental community. Some have talked about adding a surcharge, but this is the first time I've actually heard of it being done. I don't know if it's actually OK to do, but there's lots of unknowns right now. My wife is the dental director for a couple of clinics. If they can get supplies, the cost has increased exponentially. They are also investing 10s of thousands of dollars in extra equipment to reduce aerosols and air filtration.

The PPE is expensive, but the real burden is going to be reduced case loads. Her team of hygienists hasn't seen a single patient since March 16. Neither the hygienists nor the dentists will be seeing nearly the same number of patients due to screening protocols, extra PPE protocols, cleaning and spacing of appointments.

J295

Post by J295 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:30 pm

I would have no problem paying the extra $10 for a variety of reasons.

It seems that one option for you is to switch to another dentist if this is a game changer for you.

celia

Post by celia » Wed May 13, 2020 12:30 pm

You could try obtaining several sets of PPE yourself and have each family member take one set in for their appointment.

I guarantee it will cost you more than $10 per person and will not be the same as what they usually wear.
:oops:

Think of this like a new parking fee went into effect. Would you change dentists because of it? At a minimum, you should have them bill your insurance company to see what they say.

marcwd

Post by marcwd » Wed May 13, 2020 12:33 pm

This dental office sounds stunningly low-budget. My dentist and hygienist have routinely worn masks and gloves during my visits.

fedpharmer

Post by fedpharmer » Wed May 13, 2020 12:33 pm

I received this yesterday in an email from my dental office that is reopening next Monday:
In order to maintain the high level of care that you’ve come to expect, beginning May 18th we will be instituting a minor fee for most appointments to help defray our significantly increased PPE costs. The American Dental Association is lobbying your insurance company to cover these increased costs, and we hope this fee can be removed altogether in the future. We appreciate your understanding, and know that 100% of this fee is being used to provide you with as safe of an environment as possible for your dental visit.
I wonder how "minor" this fee will be.

Nimrod

Post by Nimrod » Wed May 13, 2020 12:39 pm

I own a healthcare company, and our operating costs have increased quite a bit. I obviously agree with the necessity to comply with the increased requirements to keep patients safe, but at some point I will have re-evaluate my balance sheet, and will likely increase fees to offset the cost.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:52 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:17 pm
If I visit my doctor, I can't imagine she could charge me extra money for PPE (outside of my co-pay) without violating an agreement she has with my insurance company. Wouldn't the same be true for my dentist?
What you say makes perfect sense to me. Since we are talking about the health care, it is likely you and I are both being blindly misled by reason. It's an extension of the whole challenge of trying to understand the costs of our health care options before incurring them. One of the classics is hospital prices for over-the-counter medications.

From a web search, I see results about patients being billed for PPE long the current outbreak. Here's a claim about being charged $53 for a pair of gloves in 2016, for example:
https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... -charges#4

Topic Author
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Wed May 13, 2020 12:53 pm

KellyT wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:10 pm
I would have insisted that all charges be billed through insurance and refused to pay. If your dentist sees 20 patients a day, that’s an extra 200.00. I find it hard to believe that ppe costs this - especially if they already had them in stock.
And I'm wondering if they reuse the PPE for other patient visits in the same day. I was just talking with someone who works in the ER of our local hospital. She said while the gowns/gloves are changed between each patient, they are issued only one N95 mask for the entire day.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed May 13, 2020 1:02 pm

IMO, this likely violates the terms of the agreement they have with your insurance company. I would call the insurance company and see what they say (of course you have to answer the question if $10 times however many times justifies the effort). Though I'm sure they've been hit just like a lot of businesses, I don't think gouging customers with silly charges (for PPE they should have been wearing before Covid) is appropriate.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed May 13, 2020 1:07 pm

I would not pay the $10. I would offer them a choice as to whether they would like to see me for future visits due to my decision to not pay the $10. If not, I understand.

msi

Post by msi » Wed May 13, 2020 1:08 pm

They also should have told you about this new fee prior to the visit, not just sprung it on you when you were there.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Wed May 13, 2020 1:09 pm

Jeez. I get being frugal, but $10 so that they can afford to properly protect the employees, which protects you, their families, the entire community...

Pay the money or stay home and reschedule your appointment for when things are back to normal. Maybe 2022.

(edit) OP seems to have plenty of money to afford it - so it is just the "principle" of it. :oops: We're in a *&#*&*ing global pandemic. Highest unemployment numbers ever. Etc. Etc. Be happy you can still go to a dentist and afford an extra $100/yr (5 people, two annual visits). :oops:

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Wed May 13, 2020 1:17 pm

flyfishers83 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:28 pm
That's interesting, and there's been lots of discussion among the dental community. Some have talked about adding a surcharge, but this is the first time I've actually heard of it being done. I don't know if it's actually OK to do, but there's lots of unknowns right now. My wife is the dental director for a couple of clinics. If they can get supplies, the cost has increased exponentially. They are also investing 10s of thousands of dollars in extra equipment to reduce aerosols and air filtration.

The PPE is expensive, but the real burden is going to be reduced case loads. Her team of hygienists hasn't seen a single patient since March 16. Neither the hygienists nor the dentists will be seeing nearly the same number of patients due to screening protocols, extra PPE protocols, cleaning and spacing of appointments.
I agree, their income will take a big hit as volume will decrease. My doc will have patients wait in their cars if the waiting room can not support social distancing.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed May 13, 2020 1:23 pm

Swansea wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:17 pm
flyfishers83 wrote:

I agree, their income will take a big hit as volume will decrease. My doc will have patients wait in their cars if the waiting room can not support social distancing.
Owning a business is high risk for a potentially high reward. The risk just showed up. It's not up to me to ensure they are successful or even viable. They certainly do not share the profits with me in the good times.

azanon

Post by azanon » Wed May 13, 2020 1:28 pm

I still haven't fully gotten over my dentist having stopped giving me a new toothbrush and other little care pack items about 3-4 years go. If they try this when I go, it'll be adding insult to injury.

ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat » Wed May 13, 2020 1:30 pm

It's all negotiable. We recently negotiated the following with our dentist.
  • Composite crown upcharge. Insurance only pays for metal. We asked the dentist to eat the difference and they agreed.
  • Negotiated $1,000 off of orthodontia
Don't be afraid to ask for reductions. You can do this in a polite way and emphasize your loyalty simultaneously.

Good luck.
A wise man and his money are friends forever...

whomever

Post by whomever » Wed May 13, 2020 1:30 pm

" They are also investing 10s of thousands of dollars in extra equipment to reduce aerosols and air filtration."

To me, that's the interesting question to be asking.

An N95 mask protects the staff from me, which is all good. But as a patient, I can't wear a mask. And I would expect that if the patient getting their teeth cleaned in the next room over is an as yet asymptomatic covid carrier, that the act of cleaning would be a splendiferous way to disperse virii into the air. Asking your dentist what they are doing to protect their patients from that seems pretty pertinent.

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Wed May 13, 2020 1:35 pm

I don't think the charge is unreasonable at all. The practice's expenses have obviously gone up due to the pandemic. If your insurer is unwilling to pay the practice for the higher cost you should be complaining to the insurer.

jbourne99

Post by jbourne99 » Wed May 13, 2020 1:38 pm

My only problem would be if they didn't disclose this fee upfront. I suspect that their PPE expenses are higher and I personally wouldn't expect them to eat it but rather pass it on to the consumer in one way or another.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Wed May 13, 2020 1:38 pm

I'd pay the $10, but its just me. She isn't a participating provider, so I always have extra to pay, but I really like her and her practice.

Apparently, the extra cost is something that ADA is trying to address:

“Third-party benefit programs should either adjust the maximum allowable fees for all procedures or allow a standard fee per date of service per patient to accommodate the rising costs of PPE,” according to an ADA statement finalized April 21.

https://www.ada.org/en/publications/ada ... -schedules

shavenyak

Post by shavenyak » Wed May 13, 2020 1:40 pm

Looks as if I occupy the top rung so far. Located in a mcol area, just rec'd an email from my longtime dentist...this item was buried as #10 on a list of 1-10:

"Our office will now charge a $20 PPE (Personal Protective Equipment)fee. Payment is expected at the time of service. At this time most insurance companies are not covering this fee however we will be submitting to your insurance company. Items covered by this fee N95 mask, Face shield, gowns, HVAC air filtration, Aerosol reduction, patient screening."

Four in our family are going to be charged a total of $80 for upcoming appointments that were originally made last winter. Argh!

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed May 13, 2020 1:40 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:23 pm
Swansea wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:17 pm
flyfishers83 wrote:

Owning a business is high risk for a potentially high reward. The risk just showed up. It's not up to me to ensure they are successful or even viable. They certainly do not share the profits with me in the good times.
+1

Also agree with the poster above who noted that the dentist and hygienist probably should have been using masks and gloves prior to this outbreak. Mine were. I will not be surprised if my dentist's charges increase in the future, but I will be outraged if I am billed separately for PPE.

A different poster above mentioned hairdressers taking similar actions. My local nightly news a few days ago interviewed the owner of a hair salon who was just glad to get back to work and not raising prices but stated that others intend to do just that. I told DW that a lot of hairdressers are about to discover that some of their customers have learned to cut (or at least trim) their own hair during this shutdown. Again--those are the risks of business ownership.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed May 13, 2020 1:44 pm

surfstar wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:09 pm
Jeez. I get being frugal, but $10 so that they can afford to properly protect the employees, which protects you, their families, the entire community...

Pay the money or stay home and reschedule your appointment for when things are back to normal. Maybe 2022.

(edit) OP seems to have plenty of money to afford it - so it is just the "principle" of it. :oops: We're in a *&#*&*ing global pandemic. Highest unemployment numbers ever. Etc. Etc. Be happy you can still go to a dentist and afford an extra $100/yr (5 people, two annual visits). :oops:
Dentists, internists, just about all medical practices are in financial trouble since people are putting off visits even in cases of what borders on emergencies (Where are the cardiac patients, says an ER doctor? Dying at home because they're afraid the ER is contaminated with the coronavirus.)

I would not sweat $10 for PPE. Be glad the dentist has not gone out of business.

This is like another thread where someone was complaining that Amazon was not delivering as promptly as it used to. Do you people read the newspapers?

I suspect N95 masks cost significantly more than the plain surgical masks dentists were wearing, even not taking into account the sellers price gouging.
Last edited by mouses on Wed May 13, 2020 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

galving

Post by galving » Wed May 13, 2020 1:46 pm

Kennedy wrote:
I just had a cleaning/exam visit with my dentist. I have insurance and the bill for my cleanings generally does not have a co-pay. However, this time she charged me $10 to pay for their PPE.

I really like this dentist and have never had a problem with her before, so I just paid it and left.

Shouldn't the dentist and hygienist be wearing PPE anyway, something I usually don't have to pay for? And with their contract with my insurance company, aren't I guaranteed no co-pay? This seems like an odd expense to pass along to the customer, but maybe I'm wrong here.

Sure, it's only $10 for me, but the rest of my family have upcoming appointments so I'll be paying that fee for each one of them.

I really didn't notice what kind of mask they were wearing, so perhaps it was an N95, which costs more than a surgical mask. But is the difference in price really $10? I'm wondering if the fee could also be making up for the fewer patients she will see during the day due to increased time for turn-overs.

Should I have raised the issue in the office before I left, or is my concern unwarranted? I'm not sure how to handle this when the rest of the family goes in for their visits.
Up-charging for PPE is ridiculous and already included in their base business case. This reminds me of the rental car companies charging an 'Energy Surcharge' when crude oil was above $100/bbl. Guess what is still on the bill now more than a decade later???

btq96r

Post by btq96r » Wed May 13, 2020 1:47 pm

Dentists and hygienists wear PPE all the time...but in my state at least, they were asked to give up their supply to hospitals and first responders. So, I can see how they would need an above premium cost resupply to open back up, and keep inventory since everybody wants a mask just to go to the grocery store now. That said, $10 per person, per visit seems a bit high, and they certainly should have disclosed it with a sign and/or verbal notification when you checked in at the reception desk.

I don't see how insurance will cover this, as PPE alone isn't technically something that can be billed via a specific CDT Code, so don't expect any respite there. Like someone mentioned, the ADA is trying to get payors to budge, but don't hold your breath for insurance companies to do the right thing just because.

Guess it's just a question of how good the dental practice is to justify the $10. I let mine slide with some things I have questions over because the hygienist I see is phenomenal, and their nitrous just seems better.
Moderation is for Canadians.

anoop

Post by anoop » Wed May 13, 2020 1:50 pm

I just got an email from mine saying they'll be charging $20 for PPE each visit.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed May 13, 2020 1:51 pm

galving wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:46 pm
Up-charging for PPE is ridiculous and already included in their base business case.
It's not if they've switched to N95 masks from regular masks, and they should have switched, given the exposure dental work involves.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Wed May 13, 2020 1:51 pm

I get prices go up, but I find it annoying when additional charges are added in for something that's not optional.
Do I have a choice as to whether or not they use PPE when they provide the service?
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Drelk3

Post by Drelk3 » Wed May 13, 2020 1:52 pm

Retired(thankfully) dentist here. From the articles I’ve been reading, offices can expect to incur costs of $13-27 per appointment for PPE. This includes disposable gowns, masks, etc. I also includes costs incurred for special evacuation equipment to keep aerosols to a minimum, disinfection costs and such. Should all offices be doing this - of course, but all these things cost money. I think $10 is a small price to pay for your well being. There is talk of insurance companies reimbursing offices on a per appointment PPE allowance. I would assume this will be on a company by company basis. Keep in mind that the insurance companies care only about $ and have no regard for your well being nor that of the dentist/staff. I feel asking what a provider is doing to protect his/her patients is certainly within bounds. It will be interesting to see how this plays out!

Drelk3

anoop

Post by anoop » Wed May 13, 2020 1:55 pm

My dentist says they are also seeing fewer patients to try and keep a gap between patients so the waiting area is sparingly used if at all.

So all told I did not find the $20 PPE charge unreasonable when I read about it.

ballons

Post by ballons » Wed May 13, 2020 1:55 pm

Kennedy wrote:
I really like this dentist
Clearly not enough to let go of $10 extra during a pandemic. I'm shocked there are people telling you to burn as many bridges as possible over this by reporting this to your insurance. If the charge was egregious and/or didn't go away as PPE comes back in stock everywhere for regular prices, sure. But $10? Come on.

Teague

Post by Teague » Wed May 13, 2020 1:59 pm

Well, I suppose for ten dollars you get insight into how your dentist believes in running their business and what they think of their patients. I'll be standing by to hear all about how insurance companies are the devil incarnate and freeloading patients expect everything at no cost.
Last edited by Teague on Wed May 13, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Augustus

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed May 13, 2020 2:03 pm

marcwd wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:33 pm
This dental office sounds stunningly low-budget. My dentist and hygienist have routinely worn masks and gloves during my visits.
My dentist, who I had to see for an emergency post COVID, said that dentists have followed the same basic protocols since AIDS, other than keeping an empty waiting room. In the dental office proper, nothing has really changed except that they keep the masks on longer and patients wear masks and gloves.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Wed May 13, 2020 2:05 pm

surfstar wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:09 pm

+1 agree

anoop

Post by anoop » Wed May 13, 2020 2:06 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:03 pm
...and patients wear masks and gloves.
I have to ask ... how do they work on the patient?

PVW

Post by PVW » Wed May 13, 2020 2:06 pm

$10 sounds expensive for a mask and latex gloves, but who ever expects to pay the nominal cost of goods and services at the dentist? "PPE" is probably a catch-all for everything they're doing to mitigate COVID 19 transmission - extra sanitation, fewer customers, gloves, masks, handling complaints about new fees, etc.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Wed May 13, 2020 2:07 pm

galving wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:46 pm
Up-charging for PPE is ridiculous and already included in their base business case. This reminds me of the rental car companies charging an 'Energy Surcharge' when crude oil was above $100/bbl. Guess what is still on the bill now more than a decade later???
Agreed.

I get that their costs may have increased, but those should all be rolled up into the overall rate charged (and, ideally, submitted to insurance for reimbursement). I don’t pay a separate fee for my dentist’s waiting room chairs or magazine subscriptions or water use, and their PPE costs should be no different.

Besides, dentists aren’t the only people who have suffered losses during the pandemic and they aren’t the only ones seeing increased costs either.

veggivet

Post by veggivet » Wed May 13, 2020 2:07 pm

Got to make up for lost income over the last 8 weeks somehow, right?
If you watch your pennies, your dollars will take care of themselves.