WFW (Work from Wherever)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hdcd
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by hdcd » Sun May 17, 2020 12:57 am

A couple of years ago I retired with no intent of working full time again. Well lo and behold, I got a call and now back to full time IT work. Won't go into the details but just need to be available 24x7. When I took the position my dream was to keep our house as a base and then live in an Airbnb type of place a month or so at a time. We would do this a few months out of the year.

My main challenges are:
1) Reliable wifi
2) Reliable cell coverage in the city and surrounding areas.
3) Spending the time to decide where we would like to spend 30 days!

User avatar
UncleLeo
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:43 am

Re: WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by UncleLeo » Sun May 17, 2020 3:32 am

H-Town wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:25 pm
... It's mostly fantasy to think about WFW.
No. There's a large community of digital nomads. for them, this is a reality. not a fantasy.
H-Town wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:25 pm
...Why don't you just get your work done and take 2 week vacation to go to Colorado mountains? We should separate our work and our life.
To me this reads like: "I live my life in a certain way, and that works for me. therefore I conclude that this should be the way others lead their life."
OP didn't ask for suggestions for an alternate lifestyle.
H-Town wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:25 pm
WFH is bad enough for mixing work and personal life.
I am 3x more productive when WFH, and 5x more productive when combining travel. I know others that are like me in that regard. There are many companies in my industry (tech) that were WFH friendly and even WFW friendly before this crisis. That's because they recognize that everyone is different.
H-Town wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 12:25 pm
I don't want to mix vacation time and work time together.
Then don't.

lazydavid
Posts: 3034
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by lazydavid » Sun May 17, 2020 6:01 am

Gufomel wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:20 pm
One thing I thought of recently is if you’re a typical “desk job” employee who relies on a company laptop for your work, what happens if your computer crashes or otherwise needs physical tech support? If you’re in another state (or country!) you have to go back home just to get your laptop fixed? It’d be enough of a hassle while WFH, but much more “WFW“.
Others have addressed the true root here, but in practical terms:

"Please overnight me a new laptop. Here is the address. Thank you very much, and have a great day."

gtd98765
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:15 am

Re: WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by gtd98765 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:32 am

If my income depended on having a laptop, I would have a spare available; I would boot the spare up every couple of months just to make sure it still works. Maybe an old one, or something from Dell Refurbished.

Overall laptops are very reliable, but every once in a while they can croak with no warning, as the SSD on mine did about a year ago. Fortunately, my 7-year-old Dell laptop was still in the closet and worked; not super fast, and the battery no longer holds much charge, but plugged in it worked acceptably and kept me going while I got my main laptop repaired in a few days.

Topic Author
manatee2005
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:17 pm

Re: WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by manatee2005 » Sun May 17, 2020 8:09 pm

I will also be watching companies that announce WFH friendly policies like Twitter. The more the tech industry goes that way, easier for us to request it even after the pandemic is gone and forgotten.

sd323232
Posts: 505
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:45 pm

Re: WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by sd323232 » Sun May 17, 2020 8:37 pm

manatee2005 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:09 pm
I will also be watching companies that announce WFH friendly policies like Twitter. The more the tech industry goes that way, easier for us to request it even after the pandemic is gone and forgotten.
In my next job, i will ask for work from home, and will only consider job offers that will give me that, no way im going back to the office, ever.

fortunefavored
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:18 pm

Re: WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by fortunefavored » Sun May 17, 2020 8:50 pm

Having some insight into corporate machinations in Fortune 100 land.. I say "enjoy it while you can" - the consulting and financial geniuses are busily figuring out how to turn this to a profitable advantage. Reducing pay based on which geo people are located in, productivity analysis software to monitor in real time, accelerating off-shoring dramatically, etc.

More practically in the short term, make sure your company is aware of where you are working from. Rare, but very bad scenarios can happen if you decide to work for several months from an unapproved location.

Gufomel
Posts: 517
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by Gufomel » Mon May 18, 2020 7:14 am

manatee2005 wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:59 pm
Gufomel wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:20 pm
One thing I thought of recently is if you’re a typical “desk job” employee who relies on a company laptop for your work, what happens if your computer crashes or otherwise needs physical tech support? If you’re in another state (or country!) you have to go back home just to get your laptop fixed? It’d be enough of a hassle while WFH, but much more “WFW“.
I was going to give you an answer but I realized an answer wouldn’t help you much. What’s more important is to give you advice on your outlook on life. There’s this tremendous opportunity to work from wherever, but you’re focused on the negative (what is the laptop crashes) which is unlikely to happen. You have to think more positively.
Wow 🤦‍♂️ I’m currently working remotely out of state for two weeks with family so my wife and kids can practically have a vacation with them instead of stuck at home. I thought “why not”, I’ll literally be more productive with all the baby sitting and I couldn’t think of any negative to working in another state vs. as home. But after making the trip I did realize that computer issues (or failure) would cause significantly more hassle 1000 miles away vs back home. It’s something I hadn’t thought of initially. I think it’s worth considering pros and cons when making decisions, so thought it was worth pointing out here. Sorry that’s too negative of an outlook on life for you.

Valuethinker
Posts: 40214
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by Valuethinker » Mon May 18, 2020 11:19 am

[edited]
Last edited by Valuethinker on Mon May 18, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Valuethinker
Posts: 40214
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by Valuethinker » Mon May 18, 2020 11:25 am

[edited]...
Last edited by Valuethinker on Mon May 18, 2020 12:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

TallBoy29er
Posts: 954
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by TallBoy29er » Mon May 18, 2020 8:44 pm

manatee, i enjoy your thinking and enthusiasm on this. we are going to give wfw (newly coined acronym) a shot. i'm also glad you posted this thread, it's helped focus my family's direction. that said, ease off the gas here. gufomel is just bringing perspective from experience. that is what this site is about. no need to jump to battle mode. there's enough going on in the world right now. let's not pick battles where there's none to be had.

Topic Author
manatee2005
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:17 pm

Re: WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by manatee2005 » Tue May 19, 2020 12:22 am

TallBoy29er wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:44 pm
manatee, i enjoy your thinking and enthusiasm on this. we are going to give wfw (newly coined acronym) a shot. i'm also glad you posted this thread, it's helped focus my family's direction. that said, ease off the gas here. gufomel is just bringing perspective from experience. that is what this site is about. no need to jump to battle mode. there's enough $h1t going on in the world right now. let's not pick battles where there's none to be had.
I think you're replying to the wrong guy, you should reply to Gufomel. He wrote a very condescending reply to me after I was just giving him friendly advice (in my first reply to him). I don't let things go :-)

halfnine
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:48 pm

Re: WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by halfnine » Tue May 19, 2020 2:41 pm

I worked from wherever from 2004 to 2008 and most of that was from other continents. If any of the negatives proposed I could overcome a decade ago they could certainly be overcome now.

JD2775
Posts: 534
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:47 pm

Re: WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by JD2775 » Tue May 19, 2020 7:51 pm

manatee2005 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:22 am
TallBoy29er wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:44 pm
manatee, i enjoy your thinking and enthusiasm on this. we are going to give wfw (newly coined acronym) a shot. i'm also glad you posted this thread, it's helped focus my family's direction. that said, ease off the gas here. gufomel is just bringing perspective from experience. that is what this site is about. no need to jump to battle mode. there's enough $h1t going on in the world right now. let's not pick battles where there's none to be had.
I think you're replying to the wrong guy, you should reply to Gufomel. He wrote a very condescending reply to me after I was just giving him friendly advice (in my first reply to him). I don't let things go :-)
Yikes. I didn't see anything wrong with gufomel's initial reply or the latest reply he gave to you. Nothing condescending about it. If you just want to hear all the positives to WFW and not the potential negatives you may as well have not asked at all. Just go work from wherever. Let the cards fall where they may. Good luck.

TallBoy29er
Posts: 954
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by TallBoy29er » Tue May 19, 2020 8:13 pm

JD2775 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:51 pm
manatee2005 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:22 am
TallBoy29er wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:44 pm
manatee, i enjoy your thinking and enthusiasm on this. we are going to give wfw (newly coined acronym) a shot. i'm also glad you posted this thread, it's helped focus my family's direction. that said, ease off the gas here. gufomel is just bringing perspective from experience. that is what this site is about. no need to jump to battle mode. there's enough $h1t going on in the world right now. let's not pick battles where there's none to be had.
I think you're replying to the wrong guy, you should reply to Gufomel. He wrote a very condescending reply to me after I was just giving him friendly advice (in my first reply to him). I don't let things go :-)
Yikes. I didn't see anything wrong with gufomel's initial reply or the latest reply he gave to you. Nothing condescending about it. If you just want to hear all the positives to WFW and not the potential negatives you may as well have not asked at all. Just go work from wherever. Let the cards fall where they may. Good luck.
^^ Agreed.

Colorado13
Posts: 1028
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:58 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by Colorado13 » Tue May 19, 2020 8:20 pm

manatee2005 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:31 pm
Colorado13 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:53 am
The governor of CO has requested that Denver metro area residents NOT go to the mountains anytime soon. Metro dwellers have been asked to stay within 10 of home for now. Some small towns in the CO mtns have had very high rates of the virus and the medical resources are strained. It's unlikely that our small towns currently have capacity (or services) to support out of town/out of state visitors. While I completely understand the appeal of a get away (really I do, as I have had to cancel my travel plans), please reconsider your proposal.
This is one of the reasons why I posted my questions so I get answers like this. I wasn’t aware of Colorado restrictions. For example Utah is opening up and welcoming visitors.
I am sure CO will welcome visitors again and when that occurs, come on over. :-) However, some of our cities (including a few mountain towns) are hot spots right now so they temporarily are not the place to go, so to speak.

Topic Author
manatee2005
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:17 pm

Re: WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by manatee2005 » Wed May 20, 2020 12:39 am

JD2775 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:51 pm
manatee2005 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 12:22 am
TallBoy29er wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:44 pm
manatee, i enjoy your thinking and enthusiasm on this. we are going to give wfw (newly coined acronym) a shot. i'm also glad you posted this thread, it's helped focus my family's direction. that said, ease off the gas here. gufomel is just bringing perspective from experience. that is what this site is about. no need to jump to battle mode. there's enough $h1t going on in the world right now. let's not pick battles where there's none to be had.
I think you're replying to the wrong guy, you should reply to Gufomel. He wrote a very condescending reply to me after I was just giving him friendly advice (in my first reply to him). I don't let things go :-)
Yikes. I didn't see anything wrong with gufomel's initial reply or the latest reply he gave to you. Nothing condescending about it. If you just want to hear all the positives to WFW and not the potential negatives you may as well have not asked at all. Just go work from wherever. Let the cards fall where they may. Good luck.
Both of are comments were removed, probably for the best :happy

Topic Author
manatee2005
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:17 pm

Re: WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by manatee2005 » Wed May 20, 2020 12:40 am

Colorado13 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:20 pm
manatee2005 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:31 pm
Colorado13 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:53 am
The governor of CO has requested that Denver metro area residents NOT go to the mountains anytime soon. Metro dwellers have been asked to stay within 10 of home for now. Some small towns in the CO mtns have had very high rates of the virus and the medical resources are strained. It's unlikely that our small towns currently have capacity (or services) to support out of town/out of state visitors. While I completely understand the appeal of a get away (really I do, as I have had to cancel my travel plans), please reconsider your proposal.
This is one of the reasons why I posted my questions so I get answers like this. I wasn’t aware of Colorado restrictions. For example Utah is opening up and welcoming visitors.
I am sure CO will welcome visitors again and when that occurs, come on over. :-) However, some of our cities (including a few mountain towns) are hot spots right now so they temporarily are not the place to go, so to speak.
I was in some mountain lodge close to Golden, CO a few years ago and loved it. I can still feel the fresh mountain air :-)

Colorado13
Posts: 1028
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:58 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by Colorado13 » Wed May 20, 2020 6:06 am

manatee2005 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:40 am
Colorado13 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:20 pm
.
manatee2005 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:31 pm
Colorado13 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:53 am
The governor of CO has requested that Denver metro area residents NOT go to the mountains anytime soon. Metro dwellers have been asked to stay within 10 of home for now. Some small towns in the CO mtns have had very high rates of the virus and the medical resources are strained. It's unlikely that our small towns currently have capacity (or services) to support out of town/out of state visitors. While I completely understand the appeal of a get away (really I do, as I have had to cancel my travel plans), please reconsider your proposal.
This is one of the reasons why I posted my questions so I get answers like this. I wasn’t aware of Colorado restrictions. For example Utah is opening up and welcoming visitors.
I am sure CO will welcome visitors again and when that occurs, come on over. :-) However, some of our cities (including a few mountain towns) are hot spots right now so they temporarily are not the place to go, so to speak.
I was in some mountain lodge close to Golden, CO a few years ago and loved it. I can still feel the fresh mountain air :-)
The fresh mountain air is fabulous...and likely a bit fresher these days due to lower traffic. The Golden area is nice, although it's in the foothills (not mountains) and is a suburb of Denver. If you want recommendations for "real" mountain towns, let me know. 😀 There will be many good options for you after these towns are no longer hot spots. When that occurs, we would love your tourist dollars. $$$

Topic Author
manatee2005
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:17 pm

Re: WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by manatee2005 » Wed May 20, 2020 4:30 pm

Colorado13 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:06 am
manatee2005 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:40 am
Colorado13 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:20 pm
.
manatee2005 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:31 pm
Colorado13 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:53 am
The governor of CO has requested that Denver metro area residents NOT go to the mountains anytime soon. Metro dwellers have been asked to stay within 10 of home for now. Some small towns in the CO mtns have had very high rates of the virus and the medical resources are strained. It's unlikely that our small towns currently have capacity (or services) to support out of town/out of state visitors. While I completely understand the appeal of a get away (really I do, as I have had to cancel my travel plans), please reconsider your proposal.
This is one of the reasons why I posted my questions so I get answers like this. I wasn’t aware of Colorado restrictions. For example Utah is opening up and welcoming visitors.
I am sure CO will welcome visitors again and when that occurs, come on over. :-) However, some of our cities (including a few mountain towns) are hot spots right now so they temporarily are not the place to go, so to speak.
I was in some mountain lodge close to Golden, CO a few years ago and loved it. I can still feel the fresh mountain air :-)
The fresh mountain air is fabulous...and likely a bit fresher these days due to lower traffic. The Golden area is nice, although it's in the foothills (not mountains) and is a suburb of Denver. If you want recommendations for "real" mountain towns, let me know. 😀 There will be many good options for you after these towns are no longer hot spots. When that occurs, we would love your tourist dollars. $$$
Sure, you can private message me with some recommendations if you don’t want to reveal the hidden gems to the whole board :-)

TallBoy29er
Posts: 954
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Re: WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by TallBoy29er » Wed May 20, 2020 6:06 pm

manatee2005 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:30 pm
Colorado13 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 6:06 am
manatee2005 wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:40 am
Colorado13 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 8:20 pm
.
manatee2005 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 5:31 pm


This is one of the reasons why I posted my questions so I get answers like this. I wasn’t aware of Colorado restrictions. For example Utah is opening up and welcoming visitors.
I am sure CO will welcome visitors again and when that occurs, come on over. :-) However, some of our cities (including a few mountain towns) are hot spots right now so they temporarily are not the place to go, so to speak.
I was in some mountain lodge close to Golden, CO a few years ago and loved it. I can still feel the fresh mountain air :-)
The fresh mountain air is fabulous...and likely a bit fresher these days due to lower traffic. The Golden area is nice, although it's in the foothills (not mountains) and is a suburb of Denver. If you want recommendations for "real" mountain towns, let me know. 😀 There will be many good options for you after these towns are no longer hot spots. When that occurs, we would love your tourist dollars. $$$
Sure, you can private message me with some recommendations if you don’t want to reveal the hidden gems to the whole board :-)
As long as everyone keeps Crested Butte a "secret", I see no problems w you reviewing the others in public. :D

Post Reply