WFW (Work from Wherever)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
manatee2005

WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by manatee2005 »

People who were able to WFH for the past two months are being asked to extend WFH until the fall or winter. I was thinking, how often do we regular office workers who weren't able to WFH before get the opportunity to WFW (work from wherever). Is anyone planning to work from different cities/countries this summer? I was thinking of Colorado mountains in June, then Portugal in July and Norway in August. When else can we get this opportunity during our working years?
Impr0x

Re: WFW (Work from Wherever)

Post by Impr0x »

Manatee2005,

I wouldn't bet that you will be able to travel freely in the upcoming summer.
ivk5

Post by ivk5 »

Tread carefully. Time spent working in another country (even for a US employer) may eventually subject you to personal income tax reporting requirements and possibly liability in the country of your physical presence.

It could also trigger liability and/or reporting requirements for your employer, depending on facts and circumstances. If they have their act together, they will take this seriously and may not be willing/able to just look the other way.

(Similar issues exist to some degree at state level.)
annu

Post by annu »

It is not an opportunity it is a restriction. As someone with family in healthcare, it is beyond frustrating to see that many of us feel it is a recommendation, that we have ways around.
Enjoy at home, hoping we can avoid second wave by controlling infection rates and not overloading our hospitals.
Skiandswim

Post by Skiandswim »

WTW anywhere in Europe will be a challenge this summer. Spain announced 14 day quarantine for all arriving travelers. Similar plans and discussions in various EU countries. Medical insurance is not a minor consideration as many policies now exclude COVID-19 as a known risk (https://www.thetravelmagazine.net/covid ... uture.html).
zeal

Post by zeal »

I've worked from home for the past 5 years. If traveling for a working vacation, always make sure you have wifi or a mobile hotspot at your destination before you go. I'd agree with other posters--outside the US will be a pain for the near future, but anywhere in driving distance is certainly fair game. Coffee shops will become a great friend. Just be prepared that the minute you and your family start a recreational activity, a fire will start at work and you'll have to drop everything. Enjoy it though!
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Last edited by AerialWombat on Sun May 17, 2020 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Check if your company makes salary adjustments based on location cost-of-living. A WFW relative moved from a HCOL to MCOL area. MegaCorp adjusted relative’s salary due to new location’s lower COL. No change to job responsibilities.
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

The governor of CO has requested that Denver metro area residents NOT go to the mountains anytime soon. Metro dwellers have been asked to stay within 10 of home for now. Some small towns in the CO mtns have had very high rates of the virus and the medical resources are strained. It's unlikely that our small towns currently have capacity (or services) to support out of town/out of state visitors. While I completely understand the appeal of a get away (really I do, as I have had to cancel my travel plans), please reconsider your proposal.
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

annu wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:51 am It is not an opportunity it is a restriction. As someone with family in healthcare, it is beyond frustrating to see that many of us feel it is a recommendation, that we have ways around.
Enjoy at home, hoping we can avoid second wave by controlling infection rates and not overloading our hospitals.
+1
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

HomeStretch wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:55 am Check if your company makes salary adjustments based on location cost-of-living. A WFW relative moved from a HCOL to MCOL area. MegaCorp adjusted relative’s salary due to new location’s lower COL. No change to job responsibilities.
This. Megacorp had different salary ranges based on location competitive salaries.
rob

Post by rob »

Been thinking about outside the US since my company will not be in person for a few months yet... The catch is limited flights, 2 weeks forced quarantine and more critically flights back. It's a bit of a gamble....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

Don't forget about the timezone differences. If your work expects you to be available during their regular hours you are going to be working some pretty late hours if you are overseas. Doesn't really seem worth it to me. Maybe try a cpl places in the US if you want to explore
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Dottie57 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:06 am
HomeStretch wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:55 am Check if your company makes salary adjustments based on location cost-of-living. A WFW relative moved from a HCOL to MCOL area. MegaCorp adjusted relative’s salary due to new location’s lower COL. No change to job responsibilities.
This. Megacorp had different salary ranges based on location competitive salaries.
Google says that employees work from home cannot get free foods and drinks.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

flyingaway wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:57 am
Dottie57 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 8:06 am
Google says that employees work from home cannot get free foods and drinks.
I expect that to be true. The free coffee at megacorp was terrible!
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Personally, working from home is disrupting productivity. Even aside from the issues with remote meetings, I find the environment matters a lot for helping stay focused. I don't expect it to be any better when travelling even in the same time zone, much less in a different time zone.

I'm monitoring the Europe travel restrictions due to work I am coordinating with a European supplier that can not happen remotely. I don't see any clear plans that make it easy to go in either direction. While trying to cross the border may no longer be illegal, the flight situation seems complicated. Because of the very limited number of flights, you will likely have to transit through London or Paris, each of which has different travel restrictions than countries like Spain or Portugal.

I don't know about Portugal, but Spain seems to be implementing requirements to track travelers when they arrive when they arrive, and the expectation seems to be this will be in place for at least the next 2-3 months. I get the sense that even after the 14 day isolation is completed, you may still be subject to "your papers please" requests when leaving your hotel room, and compulsory health checks. I also would not look forward to spending 14 days in a hotel room, only allowed out to purchase food or seek medical care, and limited to eating what you can prepare in your hotel room.
Dottie57 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:00 am The free coffee at megacorp was terrible!
LOL - our megacorp took away the free coffee.
sd323232

Post by sd323232 »

manatee2005 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:58 am People who were able to WFH for the past two months are being asked to extend WFH until the fall or winter. I was thinking, how often do we regular office workers who weren't able to WFH before get the opportunity to WFW (work from wherever). Is anyone planning to work from different cities/countries this summer? I was thinking of Colorado mountains in June, then Portugal in July and Norway in August. When else can we get this opportunity during our working years?
Last thing i wanna do is to be stuck overseas in event coronavirus infections go up and usa closes borders indefinitely. Thats the sadness of this whole situation, we are forced to work from home, but we cant really travel much.
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

manatee2005 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:58 am People who were able to WFH for the past two months are being asked to extend WFH until the fall or winter. I was thinking, how often do we regular office workers who weren't able to WFH before get the opportunity to WFW (work from wherever). Is anyone planning to work from different cities/countries this summer? I was thinking of Colorado mountains in June, then Portugal in July and Norway in August. When else can we get this opportunity during our working years?
When I was Working From Home I went to Colorado for a week and worked from there and did a bit of exploring after work and had the weekend to do whatever, too. The only downside was when I was on calls, I would get out of breath if I was talking for too long due to the elevation. Probably a good natural limitation to make sure I didn't blabber on for too long.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

ivk5 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:27 am Tread carefully. Time spent working in another country (even for a US employer) may eventually subject you to personal income tax reporting requirements and possibly liability in the country of your physical presence.

It could also trigger liability and/or reporting requirements for your employer, depending on facts and circumstances. If they have their act together, they will take this seriously and may not be willing/able to just look the other way.

(Similar issues exist to some degree at state level.)
Pay attention to this! At my company if you were working from overseas without approval/on a business trip there is a high likelihood you'd be terminated and yes we look for this in our logs. Domestically understand the tax rules and be transparent with your employer. A couple of weeks of a working vacation are unlikely to cause issues but longer term there are complications.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I wonder how welcoming other countries might be to visitors from the country with the highest number of virus deaths, despite our huge population relative to many other countries.

There are small towns/cities here in the US who are unwelcoming and wary of those coming into their locales.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"Time spent working in another country (even for a US employer) may eventually subject you to personal income tax reporting requirements "

Working in another state, too.

My brother in law died in January and my wife is the executor. Being a nice guy and kn owing he was a Virginia resident all of 2019 :oops: I volunteered to do his 2019 taxes. I did the federal, I did the Virginia resident, and the Ohio nonresident and the Pennsylvania nonresident. What a pain.

I had ours done in April by my regular preparer and once again it was worth every bit of the $700. When her brother's paperwork was late, late, late getting to her from investments in Florida and Pennsylvania I said, "I'll do it, I did my own taxes for 51 years, it'll be a breeze." What was I thinking?

Fwiw, Ohio only taxed his $9k/year pension earned 40 years ago when he worked a decade as a teacher. It's the multiple pages of offsets and this that and the other that's time consuming once you figure out what forms to use for deductions, credits, etc.
oko

Post by oko »

I have been WFH past 13 years. I worked from various places (mostly Europe). I can't say it was fun. One reason is that I am a software developer and not having my 30" monitor and have to work on tiny laptop screen reduces the fun of working. So I decided to keep vacation and work completely separately. Not having to take laptop to vacations is a big plus also.
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

I've been working remotely for years and frequently take advantage of the flexibility to travel but the answer to your question is No Absolutely Not traveling this summer.
Stay home. Stop the spread.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

sd323232 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:53 amLast thing i wanna do is to be stuck overseas in event coronavirus infections go up and usa closes borders indefinitely. Thats the sadness of this whole situation, we are forced to work from home, but we cant really travel much.
Err...well, that's a sadness of the situation, but it's certainly not the sadness of it.

I'm frustrated by it, as well, but it helps me to keep perspective on the fact that being unable to go do many of the things I enjoy is a much lesser concern than those of the people who contract serious infections.

It also helps me to recognize that historically speaking, we have it really good. This isn't the Black Death or smallpox, and it looks like it's not even the 1918 flu. Plus, in addition to better medical technology and far, far more medical infrastructure, the science of epidemiology that informs our response to pandemics has been radically transformed by the ability to share information globally and instantly.
Last edited by iamlucky13 on Wed May 13, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

The thing is that you pay the cost to WFW... It's mostly fantasy to think about WFW. Are you really wanting to rent out a place on Colorado mountains and spend time working there? Why don't you just get your work done and take 2 week vacation to go to Colorado mountains? We should separate our work and our life. WFH is bad enough for mixing work and personal life. I don't want to mix vacation time and work time together.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

cchrissyy wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:02 pm I've been working remotely for years and frequently take advantage of the flexibility to travel but the answer to your question is No Absolutely Not traveling this summer.
Stay home. Stop the spread.
I agree that planning travel seems questionable in the next few months, but lets keep in mind what the risk is - it's not travel itself. It's close exposure with infected persons. Granted, it's difficult to travel internationally without being in close proximity to others.

But that's a small part of the time of most trips, so I'd say the most notable consideration is that once you've reached your destination, you need to have a realistic expectation of what you can actually do within the scope of local restrictions and recommendations. That starts with a high likelihood, for the next several months at least, that you will spend your first two weeks effectively imprisoned, eating meals that don't require any cooking (assuming you are in a hotel - it won't be as bad if you have an apartment).
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Does work from home means that you have to really work from home, not from a resort hotel?
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

agree that's a risk

another risk is that you go somewhere where the cafes and stores are open to the public but discover hostility to travelers. the people of Portugal or an isolated mountain town don't want your germs, and even if you believe you are healthy you could be asymptomatic or picked it up at the airport.

another risk is that restrictions increase during your trip, either at home or at your destination, such that you are stuck longer than intended.
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

annu wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:51 am It is not an opportunity it is a restriction. As someone with family in healthcare, it is beyond frustrating to see that many of us feel it is a recommendation, that we have ways around.
I look at everything in life as an opportunity. It’s a way better way to live.
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Colorado13 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:53 am The governor of CO has requested that Denver metro area residents NOT go to the mountains anytime soon. Metro dwellers have been asked to stay within 10 of home for now. Some small towns in the CO mtns have had very high rates of the virus and the medical resources are strained. It's unlikely that our small towns currently have capacity (or services) to support out of town/out of state visitors. While I completely understand the appeal of a get away (really I do, as I have had to cancel my travel plans), please reconsider your proposal.
This is one of the reasons why I posted my questions so I get answers like this. I wasn’t aware of Colorado restrictions. For example Utah is opening up and welcoming visitors.
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Skiandswim wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:14 am WTW anywhere in Europe will be a challenge this summer. Spain announced 14 day quarantine for all arriving travelers. Similar plans and discussions in various EU countries. Medical insurance is not a minor consideration as many policies now exclude COVID-19 as a known risk (https://www.thetravelmagazine.net/covid ... uture.html).
I wouldn’t touch Spain and Italy with a 10 foot pole :-)

There will be countries that will be starved for tourists, for example Greece, Croatia, etc.
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Skiandswim wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:14 am WTW anywhere in Europe will be a challenge this summer. Spain announced 14 day quarantine for all arriving travelers. Similar plans and discussions in various EU countries. Medical insurance is not a minor consideration as many policies now exclude COVID-19 as a known risk (https://www.thetravelmagazine.net/covid ... uture.html).
I wouldn’t touch Spain and Italy with a 10 foot pole :-)

There will be countries that will be starved for tourists, for example Greece, Croatia, etc.
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Your friend made a permanent move. Mind would be a short temporary one.
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Your friend made a permanent move. Mind would be a short temporary one.
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

flyingaway wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:49 pm Does work from home means that you have to really work from home, not from a resort hotel?
It just means stay out of the office and get your work done. I don't think if they care that work is done in my cramped house or in Himalayas :-)
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

For what it is worth, we are planning on executing on exactly what you suggested. We're working on finding a place in the mountains for a couple of months. As long as I get my work done, they could not care less where I am. Fact is, they won't even know where I am, but I'll let them know regardless.

Interesting about CO. Yesterday I saw their board of tourism is asking people not to come to their state. :( That said, a number of their towns are opening their resorts/hotels, albeit at a lower capacity limit initially, with slow ramp ups.
https://www.colorado.com/colorado-travel-covid-19
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

H-Town wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:25 pm
The thing is that you pay the cost to WFW... It's mostly fantasy to think about WFW. Are you really wanting to rent out a place on Colorado mountains and spend time working there? Why don't you just get your work done and take 2 week vacation to go to Colorado mountains? We should separate our work and our life. WFH is bad enough for mixing work and personal life. I don't want to mix vacation time and work time together.
Don't forget that not everyone can take multiple two week vacations in a calendar year. There is a happy medium (but I cannot tell you what it is because I am yet to experience it). This is the first time I am getting an extended work from home and under not so fun circumstances.
zeal

Post by zeal »

TallBoy29er wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:56 pm For what it is worth, we are planning on executing on exactly what you suggested. We're working on finding a place in the mountains for a couple of months. As long as I get my work done, they could not care less where I am. Fact is, they won't even know where I am, but I'll let them know regardless.

Interesting about CO. Yesterday I saw their board of tourism is asking people not to come to their state. :( That said, a number of their towns are opening their resorts/hotels, albeit at a lower capacity limit initially, with slow ramp ups.
A detail you've probably thought of but I overlooked once, might help someone... If you're going somewhere remote, make sure you'll have internet AND cell service there. Not fun taking a "working vacation" only to have to commute 45 minutes each day to work in a coffee shop/internet cafe for hours on end. I blindly trusted the "wifi available" at a rental house. It was spotty, as well as cell service, so I had to drive inland to a coffee shop 20min away and spend 6+ hrs/day there. As soon as I left home, of course work picked up!
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

I’m lucky because I live in the mountains of CO in a resort area. I already work remotely 100% of the time, so for me WFH = Work From Hammock (now that it’s over 60 degrees most days!) I hope you find a good place to work from!
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
Afty

Post by Afty »

How do people who work from wherever handle time zone differences?
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

flyingaway wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:49 pm Does work from home means that you have to really work from home, not from a resort hotel?
I'm counting on this not being the case. :) If we actually get to go on our trip later this year, we're debating going on Saturday afternoon rather than Wednesday evening as we originally planned, and working M-W from our resort. In exchange for working three shifts of 5am-2pm or so (2 timezone difference), we'd get another 5 days there.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

Afty wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 8:57 pm How do people who work from wherever handle time zone differences?
I think it depends on what you do and how your organization works. My wife worked for an East Coast organization from both the West Coast and Europe for a couple of months. Her organization wanted her available during their office hours, so she either got up early on the West Coast, or worked into the evening in Europe.

I think WFW is an incredible quality of life boost, so I would be willing to torque my schedule to keep my employer happy, including working out of synch with the time zone I am in.
noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye »

TallBoy29er wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 4:56 pm For what it is worth, we are planning on executing on exactly what you suggested. We're working on finding a place in the mountains for a couple of months. As long as I get my work done, they could not care less where I am. Fact is, they won't even know where I am, but I'll let them know regardless.

I believe the implied part of limited openings in CO is to allow the people on the front range / where all the nearby people live to possibly make visits. If someone from out of state visits and places a burden on mountain town healthcare resources - it is not a situation you want to be in as a patient and it is not something the mountain towns want either. (A few of the communities (that see a lot of travel) saw a pretty big spike).
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

noco-hawkeye wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:41 am

I believe the implied part of limited openings in CO is to allow the people on the front range / where all the nearby people live to possibly make visits. If someone from out of state visits and places a burden on mountain town healthcare resources - it is not a situation you want to be in as a patient and it is not something the mountain towns want either. (A few of the communities (that see a lot of travel) saw a pretty big spike).
I agree with you, and in these times, I think their logic is sound and makes for a very good decision. Selfishly, CO would be at the top of my list for sheltering in place, and they failed to consult me on their guidance. 8-)
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

lazydavid wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:12 am
I'm counting on this not being the case. :) If we actually get to go on our trip later this year, we're debating going on Saturday afternoon rather than Wednesday evening as we originally planned, and working M-W from our resort. In exchange for working three shifts of 5am-2pm or so (2 timezone difference), we'd get another 5 days there.
I am sure that a few days away should be OK.
Slowtraveler

Post by Slowtraveler »

Time zone differences are brutal. Aim for somewhere close like within North America or the top of South America.

Also, read Publication 54 regarding the foreign earned income exemption. The source of your income is defined as where you perform your services and money paid by an employer in America to a bank in America is considered foreign earned if your services are performed abroad. If you go this route, staying out of the country for every minute of the year will make claiming the feie via physical presence much simpler. Your after tax income may significantly increase even if there is some drop in pretax income.

Also, keep a US address like a mailbox or a close family member and a US phone number, not necessarily a paid us number.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

AerialWombat wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:27 am I was a digital nomad for several years. It’s a great way to live, but YouTubers tend to gloss over the pain the rump parts.

I was doing it as a “backpacker”, living in hostels and couchsurfing. While running a professional services company. It was nearly impossible to grow the business, ability to do client work was quite limited, so the number of clients I could properly service simultaneously was always a single digit number.

If I had it to do over again, I would get extended visas for each country and stay 6 months. Get a service apartment or long-stay Airbnb. Stay a while.

I will never regret my years abroad, and will likely do it again. But building my “fortune” wasn’t possible until I came back to the States and started moving once a year instead of once a week.
As someone who once had a similar lifestyle this is absolutely correct. Although, 6 months isn't always possible and you might be looking more at 3 months at at a time.
Gufomel

Post by Gufomel »

One thing I thought of recently is if you’re a typical “desk job” employee who relies on a company laptop for your work, what happens if your computer crashes or otherwise needs physical tech support? If you’re in another state (or country!) you have to go back home just to get your laptop fixed? It’d be enough of a hassle while WFH, but much more “WFW“.
noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye »

Gufomel wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:20 pm One thing I thought of recently is if you’re a typical “desk job” employee who relies on a company laptop for your work, what happens if your computer crashes or otherwise needs physical tech support? If you’re in another state (or country!) you have to go back home just to get your laptop fixed? It’d be enough of a hassle while WFH, but much more “WFW“.
The people who excel at this setup are technical people who can fix their own IT stuff and their workplace has policies that enable this. It’s not for everyone.
Topic Author
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Gufomel wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:20 pm One thing I thought of recently is if you’re a typical “desk job” employee who relies on a company laptop for your work, what happens if your computer crashes or otherwise needs physical tech support? If you’re in another state (or country!) you have to go back home just to get your laptop fixed? It’d be enough of a hassle while WFH, but much more “WFW“.
I was going to give you an answer but I realized an answer wouldn’t help you much. What’s more important is to give you advice on your outlook on life. There’s this tremendous opportunity to work from wherever, but you’re focused on the negative (what is the laptop crashes) which is unlikely to happen. You have to think more positively.