90%+ chocolate bar

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ResearchMed

Re: 90%+ chocolate bar

Post by ResearchMed »

get_g0ing wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:17 am I noticed something, anything labeled "dark chocolate" does not have any milk. So even if it's 70-90% cocoa, it won't have any milk. The extra ingredient would be sugar. Does anyone know why there isn't even a little milk?

Or why there isn't dark chocolate which is just cocoa + milk (no sugar), rather than cocoa + sugar (no milk)? Just curious.
Hmmm...
What is "semi-sweet" chocolate?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:51 pm
get_g0ing wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:17 am I noticed something, anything labeled "dark chocolate" does not have any milk. So even if it's 70-90% cocoa, it won't have any milk. The extra ingredient would be sugar. Does anyone know why there isn't even a little milk?

Or why there isn't dark chocolate which is just cocoa + milk (no sugar), rather than cocoa + sugar (no milk)? Just curious.
Hmmm...

RM
Something between sweet and bittersweet.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

marcwd wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:00 pm

Hmmm...

RM
Fair enough.

But what are *those* ^ ?
Does it matter if they have "milk"?

Is there a grid of % cocoa, % sugar, % milk, or is that part of what any chocolatier does? Except that "dark" always means "no milk"?

And chocolate nibs are...?

Looks like I need to set up some sort of tasting experiment :happy

When I was still teaching, that included a seminar on experimental design. The final project was to design some sort of "blind tasting", and I'd set it up. They varied from French vs. USA wine; red wine vs. white wine; local Brand X vs Brand Y ice cream; etc. and of course, the occasional "Coke vs. Pepsi".

But they never arranged types of chocolate, a real "miss".
And now I'm not sure what the best comparison would be. More investigation needed now, just to determine the categories..
"Someone's got to do it" :wink:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:31 pm

Hmmm...

RM
Fair enough.

But what are *those* ^ ?

Is there a grid of % cocoa, % sugar, % milk, or is that part of what any chocolatier does? Except that "dark" always means "no milk"?

When I was still teaching, that included a seminar on experimental design. The final project was to design some sort of "blind tasting", and I'd set it up. They varied from French vs. USA wine; red wine vs. white wine; local Brand X vs Brand Y ice cream; etc. and of course, the occasional "Coke vs. Pepsi".

And now I'm not sure what the best comparison would be. More investigation needed now, just to determine the categories..

RM
Yes, I believe that “dark” means “no milk,” regardless of sweetness. But milk chocolate has an inevitable sweetness from the lactose in milk and is generally liberally sweetened beyond that. But the only thing that matters is what you like and discovering what that is.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

mrsbetsy wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:52 am Trader Joe's carries a 100% Cocoa chocolate bar called Absolute Black Montezuma.

It's a couple of bucks and tastes high quality.

I love the taste and if you put a smidge of peanut butter on top, it is also quite pleasurable.
Oh, I see. You mean that adding a smidge of sweetness to the unsweetened chocolate makes it “quite pleasurable.” :wink: :
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

get_g0ing wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:01 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:49 pm I don't eat sugar but wanted to have some chocolate and was looking for 100%-cacao chocolate. Some Boglehead has referenced Chocosphere, https://www.chocosphere.com/, and since then I am buying my chocolate from them.

Here is a link to their products with > 90% cacao: https://www.chocosphere.com/default/per ... rcent.html .

I am buying "Callebaut Unsweetened Chocolate Liquor Discs 2.5Kg/5.5lbs. Belgian, Dark 100% cacao, blend, $49.95" https://www.chocosphere.com/default/per ... discs.html and eat several disks every day.

Victoria
Thanks Victoria, the site looks really good. Such a vast collection.
The price on the Callebaut is very good. Some of others are quite expensive!
get_g0ing,

Note that 100%-cacao chocolate is an acquired taste. I eat it for the nutrition rather than for the taste. When I offered Callebaut to my guests on several occasions, they did not like it. Nevertheless, I have been buying it in large quantities and will continue doing so in the foreseeable future.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

marcwd wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:09 pm
mrsbetsy wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:52 am Trader Joe's carries a 100% Cocoa chocolate bar called Absolute Black Montezuma.

It's a couple of bucks and tastes high quality.

I love the taste and if you put a smidge of peanut butter on top, it is also quite pleasurable.
Oh, I see. You mean that adding a smidge of sweetness to the unsweetened chocolate makes it “quite pleasurable.” :wink: :
Yes, I'd rather be in control of that sugar. I don't have a sweet tooth, but my husband sure does. He might use more peanut butter than I do. :D
drk

Post by drk »

You're looking for sugar-free milk chocolate, not dark chocolate. Milk is just an adjunct, similar to espresso beans, almonds, or peppermint.

Edit: "adjutant" => "adjunct". Darn auto-correct.
Last edited by drk on Wed May 13, 2020 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

drk wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:58 pm

You're looking for sugar-free milk chocolate, not dark chocolate. Milk is just an adjutant, similar to espresso beans, almonds, or peppermint.
It’s not clear what the OP is looking for, but it should be noted that “sugar-free” chocolate (milk or dark) is simply sweetened with some sugar-alternative.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

As a Lindt 90-95% consumer, I have been closely following this thread. Learning something new every day.

It is interesting to me that while I can readily detect and react to bitterness in a variety of vegetables, add a tiny bit of sugar to chocolate and I don't taste the bitterness at all. I must have highly efficient sweetness receptors.
1130Super

Post by 1130Super »

marcwd wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:42 pm

Simple. Dark chocolate and milk chocolate are intended to be two different products.
I have seen dark milk chocolate before, it’s pretty uncommon though
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

hicabob wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 7:45 pm
Poorman wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:19 pm
get_g0ing wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:22 pm
1130Super wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:12 pm Manoa chocolate, based in Hawaii they even have a 100% cocoa bar. My favorite is their breakfast bar and Hawaiian sea salt bar. Best chocolate I have ever had
100%! I wasn't aware they existed. Any idea how's it's even possible, I mean how it's different from those cocoa nibs which are pure cocoa? I've had cocoa nibs before, they are a nice snack but don't melt in your mouth like 90% chocolate does. I believe they are just chopped up seeds. Curious how 100% chocolate relates to nibs.
Baking chocolate is 100%. Found in the baking section at walmart or any grocery store. It's like a few bucks for a big bar.
When I was a little kid I snuck some dark baking chocolate from the kitchen cupboard - it looked so good. Lesson learned.
That made me laugh! I too, learned that lesson but I was a bit older. Disgusting was the word that came to mind. :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Just tried Chocolove's 88% tonight, it's really smooth but not as much richness. I try new brands as they're on sale.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
Finridge

Post by Finridge »

How about 100%?

I really like this one.

Trader Joes Montezumas 100 Cocoa Solids Dark Chocolate Absolute Black with Coca Nibs.

See the picture at the link below.

https://fearlessflyingkitchen.com/2018/ ... ocoa-nibs/
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

I don't pretend to remember everything I learned on the ride up in Hershey, PA, but basically, Mr. Hershey invented milk chocolate as a way to mass produce chocolate on the cheap for the masses. Before, I don't think that milk had been used, and chocolate pricing was outside of the reach of normal consumers (or something they rarely indulged in).

Hershey's milk chocolate changed all that.

I don't care for milk chocolate and can only do dark chocolate. I'm not terribly attached to any particular brand of dark chocolate, as many have very good tastes.
oakfan52

Post by oakfan52 »

Trader Joe’s has a gift box around Christmas called chocolate passport for about $10. Has about 10 bars of mostly dark chocolate from all different countries.looks like this... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ADG744Q/
FactualFran

Post by FactualFran »

oakfan52 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:06 am Trader Joe’s has a gift box around Christmas called chocolate passport for about $10. Has about 10 bars of mostly dark chocolate from all different countries.looks like this... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ADG744Q/
The one with Peru as the country of origin is excellent. However, it is 60%, and the others are up to 73%. Much less than the 90%+ in the subject line of this discussion.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

marcwd wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:00 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:31 pm

Hmmm...

RM
Fair enough.

But what are *those* ^ ?

RM
Yes, I believe that “dark” means “no milk,” regardless of sweetness. But milk chocolate has an inevitable sweetness from the lactose in milk and is generally liberally sweetened beyond that. But the only thing that matters is what you like and discovering what that is.
You might find this article of interest.