90%+ chocolate bar

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
get_g0ing

90%+ chocolate bar

Post by get_g0ing »

Hi guys,

Wondering if any of you found a high quality extra dark chocolate bar. I mean 90% or greater cocoa, and minimally processed.

I found two at the store but I'm thinking there might be some that are less processed:
Lindt has 90% and 95% but it uses alkali processed cocoa, also called dutch-processing (their 85% does not).

Thanks
1130Super

Re: 90%+ chocolate bar

Post by 1130Super »

Manoa chocolate, based in Hawaii they even have a 100% cocoa bar. My favorite is their breakfast bar and Hawaiian sea salt bar. Best chocolate I have ever had
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

1130Super wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:12 pm Manoa chocolate, based in Hawaii they even have a 100% cocoa bar. My favorite is their breakfast bar and Hawaiian sea salt bar. Best chocolate I have ever had
100%! I wasn't aware they existed. Any idea how's it's even possible, I mean how it's different from those cocoa nibs which are pure cocoa? I've had cocoa nibs before, they are a nice snack but don't melt in your mouth like 90% chocolate does. I believe they are just chopped up seeds. Curious how 100% chocolate relates to nibs.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

Theo produces a delicious 85% bar. My runner-up brand is Chocolove.
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

I used to live near Taza Chocolate in Somerville, MA (https://www.tazachocolate.com). They have chocolate bars that go up to 95% pure. They are called "Wicked Dark".

According to web site:
Perfectly unrefined, super intense 95% dark stone ground chocolate. This barely-sweet bar has just 2 grams of sugar per serving. It lets the bright fruity flavors of our cacao shout loud and proud! We think our unique stone ground process creates the best ultra-dark chocolate you can find. Paleo-friendly, vegan, and organic, with NO dairy, NO soy, NO gluten.

Ingredients: Organic cacao beans, organic cane sugar. Contains traces of almonds, cashews, coconut, hazelnuts, and pecans.
batrleby

Post by batrleby »

French Broad in Asheville NC has some super boutique chocolat made on premises
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

My sister worked here until a few months ago https://www.ritualchocolate.com/. They have won a lot of awards and the facility is amazing (we visited several times). I don't even particularly like chocolate, but my sister would often get us 100% cacoa bars and IMO they were pretty delicious.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

get_g0ing wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:22 pm
1130Super wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:12 pm Manoa chocolate, based in Hawaii they even have a 100% cocoa bar. My favorite is their breakfast bar and Hawaiian sea salt bar. Best chocolate I have ever had
100%! I wasn't aware they existed. Any idea how's it's even possible, I mean how it's different from those cocoa nibs which are pure cocoa? I've had cocoa nibs before, they are a nice snack but don't melt in your mouth like 90% chocolate does. I believe they are just chopped up seeds. Curious how 100% chocolate relates to nibs.

Umm... serious question... have you ever had 100% cacao chocolate?

Do you eat it straight or do you cut it with something else prior to consumption?

Personally, I'd be impressed if you eat and enjoy 100% cacao.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I'm not a connoisseur. I once toured the Taza factory. The tours have been discontinued for the duration of the pandemic, but if they ever start again I'll just say that a) I loved it, and b) for the $8 price of the tour I got enough samples, nibbles, tastes, and ultimately a cup of chocolate that were well worth the $8. Except of course that the tour began and ended in their factory store and it was pretty hard to resist dropping another fifty or sixty bucks there.

They make Mexican-style disks, bars, and other things. We buy the Mexican-style disks as treats from time to time in the local Whole Foods. The texture is a gritty because of being stone-ground and having sugar crystals in it; in theory you use them to make hot chocolate, not to eat them. We eat them. The bars are smoother. The "Wicked Dark" is only available as a bar. This is a screenshot of the 95% bar, which I wouldn't like and have never tried, but I'm sure it's good.

You can look at their website and try to judge for yourself how happy you are with their process.

You can buy them from Amazon (normally, not as a delivery from Whole Foods)... but you have to commit to a ten pack.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

pahkcah wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:34 pm I used to live near Taza Chocolate in Somerville, MA (https://www.tazachocolate.com). They have chocolate bars that go up to 95% pure. They are called "Wicked Dark".

According to web site:
Perfectly unrefined, super intense 95% dark stone ground chocolate. This barely-sweet bar has just 2 grams of sugar per serving. It lets the bright fruity flavors of our cacao shout loud and proud! We think our unique stone ground process creates the best ultra-dark chocolate you can find. Paleo-friendly, vegan, and organic, with NO dairy, NO soy, NO gluten.

Ingredients: Organic cacao beans, organic cane sugar. Contains traces of almonds, cashews, coconut, hazelnuts, and pecans.
+1 You can find them in Whole Foods. The "bar" is in the form of a "wheel". Mimicking the "stone ground process". As Nisiprisus said above, I also eat the disks though not in one sitting.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Poorman

Post by Poorman »

Baking chocolate is 100%. Found in the baking section at walmart or any grocery store. It's like a few bucks for a big bar.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

If you are in the seattle area Theo chocolate has zero extra processing or ingredients.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

nisiprius wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:14 pm I'm not a connoisseur. I once toured the Taza factory. The tours have been discontinued for the duration of the pandemic, but if they ever start again I'll just say that a) I loved it, and b) for the $8 price of the tour I got enough samples, nibbles, tastes, and ultimately a cup of chocolate that were well worth the $8. Except of course that the tour began and ended in their factory store and it was pretty hard to resist dropping another fifty or sixty bucks there.

They make Mexican-style disks, bars, and other things. We buy the Mexican-style disks as treats from time to time in the local Whole Foods. The texture is a gritty because of being stone-ground and having sugar crystals in it; in theory you use them to make hot chocolate, not to eat them. We eat them. The bars are smoother. The "Wicked Dark" is only available as a bar. This is a screenshot of the 95% bar, which I wouldn't like and have never tried, but I'm sure it's good.

You can look at their website and try to judge for yourself how happy you are with their process.

You can buy them from Amazon (normally, not as a delivery from Whole Foods)... but you have to commit to a ten pack.
I’ve also toured the Taza plant...I’m a serious (dark) chocolate lover and don’t understand the appeal of Taza...Its grainy, sandy texture is the antithesis of what I want in my chocolate bars.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Helo80 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:13 pm

Do you eat it straight or do you cut it with something else prior to consumption?

I've eaten it many many times. Always just a small square at a time, not "cut" with anything. My sister would bring us a few bars every time they did a run of it. I am not a huge fan of chocolate, but I actually enjoy 100% cacoa.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

get_g0ing wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:09 pm Hi guys,

Wondering if any of you found a high quality extra dark chocolate bar. I mean 90% or greater cocoa, and minimally processed.

I found two at the store but I'm thinking there might be some that are less processed:
Lindt has 90% and 95% but it uses alkali processed cocoa, also called dutch-processing (their 85% does not).

Thanks
Chocolove 88% Just bought (another) 5 bars today.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

Cacao has the magical property of being inedible at 100% and sublime just slightly sweetened.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

https://www.xocolatlchocolate.com/

If you can afford it, well worth it.
They have a 100%: https://www.xocolatlchocolate.com/store ... 00%25.html
and an 85%: https://www.xocolatlchocolate.com/store ... 85%25.html

I prefer this 73%: https://www.xocolatlchocolate.com/store ... 73%25.html

They are very nice if you call with questions.
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

HawkeyePierce wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:30 pm Theo produces a delicious 85% bar. My runner-up brand is Chocolove.
pahkcah wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:34 pm I used to live near Taza Chocolate in Somerville, MA (https://www.tazachocolate.com). They have chocolate bars that go up to 95% pure. They are called "Wicked Dark".
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Any idea if these are quite apart from Ghirardelli's 92% dark chocolate.
I'm not sure if it's duch processed or not (I did send them an email to ask).
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

Thanks
I tried the Lindt 90% at walmart. I liked it the sugar is lower in that one.
Escapevelocity

Post by Escapevelocity »

Ghirardelli intense dark are very good and not ridiculously expensive (they are often on sale for below $3 for a 3.2 ounce bar) . They come in 60%, 72%, 86% and 92% varieties. The sea salt soiree bars with nuts are ridiculously addictive.
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

88% Endangered Species
bittersweet chocolate (chocolate liquor, sugar, soy lecithin, vanilla)
https://chocolatebar.branddriver.com/pa ... a-3-oz-bar
added bonus of being vegan since it does not have milk fat found in many chocolate bars
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Thanks
What’s the issue with Lindt? Seems like pretty solid quality.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

finite_difference wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:19 pm

Thanks
More generally, what is the problem with alkali/dutch-processed chocolate?
Is it taste? Something else?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
1130Super

Post by 1130Super »

They add extra cocoa butter to the Mix https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0798/ ... 1577148114

If you make an order from Manoa buy the 1lb bars much for $26 better deal than 2.6oz bars for $10
Last edited by 1130Super on Mon May 11, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:21 pm

Thanks

RM

Thanks
Hey guys,

Yea so nothing wrong with Lindt. I actually like their 85% (it's not dutch processed). And nothing wrong with dutch-processed per se (it's actually supposed to make it taste less bitter). Except that I read that this is extra processing that isn't necessary, and it reduces the flavanols content. So I just wanted to see if there were recommendations for less processed or possibly better produced dark chocolate.
Mimi2

Post by Mimi2 »

Ordinary things, done consistently, can produce extraordinary results.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

go_mets wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:33 pm 88% Endangered Species
bittersweet chocolate (chocolate liquor, sugar, soy lecithin, vanilla)
https://chocolatebar.branddriver.com/pa ... a-3-oz-bar
added bonus of being vegan since it does not have milk fat found in many chocolate bars
+1. This is my favorite.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Thanks

RM
It reduces the phytonutrients so I avoid it.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
1130Super

Post by 1130Super »

marcwd wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:37 pm

Cacao has the magical property of being inedible at 100% and sublime just slightly sweetened.

I have tried the 100% bar it’s good but I prefer their sea salt 72% bar
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

BW1985 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 10:05 pm

Thanks

RM
It reduces the phytonutrients so I avoid it.
What should one look for on the label to know this?

Many thanks.
We love dark chocolate, and joke that it - plus some red wine - is "for our health" :wink:
It's only partly a joke, of course (or so it is thought), but we might as well go for the best possible!

RM
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

ResearchMed wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:05 pm
What should one look for on the label to know this?

Many thanks.
We love dark chocolate, and joke that it - plus some red wine - is "for our health" :wink:
It's only partly a joke, of course (or so it is thought), but we might as well go for the best possible!

RM
The label would say something like "cocoa processed with alkali".
For example if you go to the baking aisle you will see two types of Hershey's cocoa powder. If you compare the two, the one labeled "Special dark" will indicate that it's processed with alkali. In fact, it has (or used to have) a note that if you want most flavanols, go with the other one.

Same thing can be seen if you compare Lindt 85% and 90%.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Helo80 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:13 pm Umm... serious question... have you ever had 100% cacao chocolate?
DW and I sampled some freshly-ground cacao beans on a plantation in St. Lucia a couple of years ago. Not what I would call one of my favorites, tasted more like bitter coffee than chocolate.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

According to web site:

+1 Taza is one of my favorites.
retiringtype

Post by retiringtype »

Fine & Raw chocolate. Direct from Brooklyn. Hipster approved!

https://www.fineandraw.com/about
tschaefges

Post by tschaefges »

Thanks
Search for "cacao paste." Not bars, but chunks. Pastry chefs use this for many types of chocolate desserts.
blackburnian

Post by blackburnian »

I recommend Valhrona, but I think the highest % you can get is 85 ("le noir extra"). You can find it at Trader Joe's.
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

Hey everyone,

I want to thank you all for commenting and sharing your recommendation. You've given me great options to try :)

Thanks!
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

Anything above 85% is too bitter to eat on its own I find
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

Poorman wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:19 pm Baking chocolate is 100%. Found in the baking section at walmart or any grocery store. It's like a few bucks for a big bar.
Just be sure to get "unsweetened" baking chocolate. You'll likely run into sweetened or bittersweet or other "baking chocolates" listing a percentage somewhere on the bag that are not at or near 100%, some as low as 50%.
mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy »

Trader Joe's carries a 100% Cocoa chocolate bar called Absolute Black Montezuma.

It's a couple of bucks and tastes high quality.

I love the taste and if you put a smidge of peanut butter on top, it is also quite pleasurable.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I don't eat sugar but wanted to have some chocolate and was looking for 100%-cacao chocolate. Some Boglehead has referenced Chocosphere, https://www.chocosphere.com/, and since then I am buying my chocolate from them.

Here is a link to their products with > 90% cacao: https://www.chocosphere.com/default/per ... rcent.html .

I am buying "Callebaut Unsweetened Chocolate Liquor Discs 2.5Kg/5.5lbs. Belgian, Dark 100% cacao, blend, $49.95" https://www.chocosphere.com/default/per ... discs.html and eat several disks every day.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

My favorite chocolate is from Hu Kitchen

https://hukitchen.com/collections/chocolate
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

VictoriaF wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:49 pm I don't eat sugar but wanted to have some chocolate and was looking for 100%-cacao chocolate. Some Boglehead has referenced Chocosphere, https://www.chocosphere.com/, and since then I am buying my chocolate from them.

Here is a link to their products with > 90% cacao: https://www.chocosphere.com/default/per ... rcent.html .

I am buying "Callebaut Unsweetened Chocolate Liquor Discs 2.5Kg/5.5lbs. Belgian, Dark 100% cacao, blend, $49.95" https://www.chocosphere.com/default/per ... discs.html and eat several disks every day.

Victoria
Thanks Victoria, the site looks really good. Such a vast collection.
The price on the Callebaut is very good. Some of others are quite expensive!
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

mrsbetsy wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:52 am Trader Joe's carries a 100% Cocoa chocolate bar called Absolute Black Montezuma.

It's a couple of bucks and tastes high quality.

I love the taste and if you put a smidge of peanut butter on top, it is also quite pleasurable.
Freefun wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:57 pm My favorite chocolate is from Hu Kitchen

https://hukitchen.com/collections/chocolate
Thanks for the suggestions!
I'll have to try these soon :)
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

One thing both of us have noticed with the *very* dark chocolate, is that without the sweetness, and usually also not quite the same "melt in your mouth" smoothness of, say, milk chocolate (which we no longer enjoy at all) is that we do not "need to have more". There just isn't the same immediate addiction, "I *must* have more".

That makes us feel very virtuous, and also to have it more often, because we do not immediately finish off the entire bar/package.

We'll have to do some tasting comparisons based upon some of the info on this thread :D

RM
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Poorman wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:19 pm
Baking chocolate is 100%. Found in the baking section at walmart or any grocery store. It's like a few bucks for a big bar.
When I was a little kid I snuck some dark baking chocolate from the kitchen cupboard - it looked so good. Lesson learned.
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

Another vote for baking coco. Some brands are painfully butter. But easy to find at most grocery stores or big box retailers.

Baking chips also work.

I find I can do the 100% stuff if I do not chew it. I let it melt on my tongue for several minutes.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
Topic Author
get_g0ing

Post by get_g0ing »

I noticed something, anything labeled "dark chocolate" does not have any milk. So even if it's 70-90% cocoa, it won't have any milk. The extra ingredient would be sugar. Does anyone know why there isn't even a little milk?

Or why there isn't dark chocolate which is just cocoa + milk (no sugar), rather than cocoa + sugar (no milk)? Just curious.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

minimalistmarc wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:35 am

Anything above 85% is too bitter to eat on its own I find
Endangered Species makes an 88% that is excellent. When I go back to their 72% it tastes too sweet for me now.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

get_g0ing wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:17 am I noticed something, anything labeled "dark chocolate" does not have any milk. So even if it's 70-90% cocoa, it won't have any milk. The extra ingredient would be sugar. Does anyone know why there isn't even a little milk?

Or why there isn't dark chocolate which is just cocoa + milk (no sugar), rather than cocoa + sugar (no milk)? Just curious.
Simple. Dark chocolate and milk chocolate are intended to be two different products.