Apple Airpods

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Apple Airpods

Post by Leesbro63 » Mon May 11, 2020 1:51 pm

I just became interested in wireless ear devices for my iPhone 10. But I haven't been tuned in at all to this product. I'm willing to spend whatever it costs for the best and current Apple product, I think. What is the current top Apple product called...Airpods1? AirpodsPro? Something else? And are they available easily, or are they backordered with some unknown date of delivery?

Also should I be concerned with having a wireless frequency pinging against my brain, on both sides, day in and day out for hours and hours?

HEDGEFUNDIE

Re: Apple Airpods

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Mon May 11, 2020 1:56 pm

I have the Jabra 75t and prefer them to the AirPod Pros.

Seasonal

Post by Seasonal » Mon May 11, 2020 2:00 pm

The Airpods Pro are the top of the line Apple product. They have active noise cancellation and appear more comfortable than the regular Airpods. I'm happy with mine. There are other similar products from other vendors - tastes vary.

Amazon has them in stock.

I wouldn't be concerned about wireless frequencies from using them.

As always, there are rumors of a new Airpod.

onourway

Post by onourway » Mon May 11, 2020 2:00 pm

Current generation AirPods come in 3 models. The regular AirPods which come with or without a wireless charging case, but are otherwise the same, and the AirPods Pro which are more compact and have significantly better sound as well as active noise canceling. There is also a third, similar model in the PowerBeats Pro which sit are somewhat of a workout focused model that sits between the two versions of AirPods. I believe all models are basically in stock (and some even on sale) right now.

BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Mon May 11, 2020 2:12 pm

I've had my regular Airpods now for almost two years. I love them more and more everyday. My wife has the AirPods Pro. She does feel that they were more comfortable than the original Airpods.

I like the fact that I can wear the regular Airpods and still have conversations on the beach and/or not get run over by cars on the road I didn't hear coming. Last week I had to listen to an hour long phone conference without my Airpods...holding the phone to my ear the old-fashioned way like some flipping' Luddite. That sucked.
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon May 11, 2020 2:16 pm

If you know someone who has a pair, try AirPods out and see how they fit your ear holes.

The size was too small. They would fall out. I ended up with a $20 pair of knock-offs from woot. They fit my ears better. I could add a sleeve, but I had to take the sleeve off every time to charge/store. One of the kids ended up with my pair.

If you have an iPhone/iPad, it makes sense to go with AirPods. Easy to use and switch between.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Mon May 11, 2020 2:21 pm

I love my original AirPods. When I’m out walking the dog on the street, I wear just one so I can hear approaching traffic, and sound is just fine.

DW feels that original AirPods are uncomfortable. Haven’t tried the Pro yet. So I would be interested in hearing reports on Pro or other alternative products.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon May 11, 2020 2:29 pm

BionicBillWalsh wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:12 pm
I like the fact that I can wear the regular Airpods and still have conversations on the beach and/or not get run over by cars on the road I didn't hear coming.
Have to agree with being able to hear background traffic and voices as being a net plus in most situations with the Airpods. I have a wireless charging capable case that I use with an Anker charging pad at home (and had one at work) and find that to be convenient enough that I'd choose wireless over a wired case. Spouse has a $30 Amazon pair that blocks all sound; have to yell loudly if he is 5 feet away. Not safe for outdoor use in my opinion, but he feels differently.

Still prefer to use speakerphone over headphones when possible but definitely headphones are better than putting an iPhone up to the ear.

One advantage of the Pros should be that they come with 3 different size tips to help get a better fit. My regular Airpods fall out onto the asphalt maybe once every 100 miles of walking/running without damage but they do start to come lose much more often and I have to push them back in about every 1-2 miles. I now instinctively push them in before I run into the street and put myself in a situation where I might have to chose between bending down in front of an oncoming car to pick one up or watching it get run over.

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Mon May 11, 2020 2:34 pm

The Airpod pros are the best earphones I've used.

I've had better sounding headphones, but I enjoy using the AirPods Pros much more because they're so easy to use and they're so comfortable that you forget you're wearing them. The charging case is excellent as well, and I love how seamlessly they work with my iPhone. Other wireless headphones I've used with iPhone occasionally had some challenges connecting and weren't as simple.

The noise cancelling is great given the size of these, and I regularly use them for phone calls, listening to pod casts, and music while exercising.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Mon May 11, 2020 2:38 pm

I can't bring myself to spend that much, but here are some other options: Seinnheiser has the best sound per the review. I still haven't quite figured out how the true wireless are so much better than the ones that are connected by a wire to the earbuds, but wirelessly to the phone, as I think the odds of losing one is very high. Plus you could have larger drivers and longer battery life. The "you forget you're wearing" them sounds fine, until you realize you AREN"T wearing one.

https://www.cnet.com/news/best-true-wir ... sony-more/

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Mon May 11, 2020 3:16 pm

I have the wireless Airpod Pros and really like them. These replaced my Jabra Elite Active 65Ts which failed after 2 months. Jabra replaced them but they are sitting in the new box and will serve as a back up for now. My goals for wireless earbuds were:

- Primary purpose was to use these for exercise where dangling chords created all sorts of noise and limitations

- Must have reasonable level of sweat resistance

- Offer noise cancellation as I hate to be at the gym and hear the pounding of the neighboring treadmills or someone engaged in a long conversation on the machine next to me.

- Fit well in my ears and not fall out during my exercise routine.

Unlike the regular Air Pods which never fit in my ears, the Airpods Pro offered various size earbuds and noise cancellation. They have never fallen out during running, weight lifting or using the elliptical. The noise cancellation is excellent. On both of these fronts they are superior to my Jabras as those did not not fit well or offer noise cancellation. They also are great on phone calls. I know I will appreciate the noise cancellation when I start flying again.

acunn

Post by acunn » Mon May 11, 2020 4:20 pm

After spending the extra on the AirPods pro I actually love them. You can use the noise cancelling or turn it off and in different situations (walking the dog vs inside vacuuming) they are easy to change modes with a long press of the button. Answering the iPhone or listening to it read your texts to you while walking and not needing to stop to pick up the phone are super convenient. I would not have thought I would enjoy them as much as I do but I don't regret the extra money since they get daily use.

z91

Post by z91 » Mon May 11, 2020 4:55 pm

I almost bought one, until I realized the product will only last ~2 years of solid use due to the batteries. Rechargeable batteries will die at some point, and they are not user replaceable. Maybe some company can figure out how to replace batteries in this thing, but IMO they would probably make more money buying "broken" ones and reselling them so I don't think anyone will offer such a service.

This goes with pretty much all wireless solutions out in the market now. If anyone knows of high quality earbuds that offer user replaceable batteries, I'd be all ears.

AussieDad

Post by AussieDad » Mon May 11, 2020 5:06 pm

I bought a pair. Didn't like them. They always felt like they were going to fall out. I took them back and bought a set of Jabra 65t elite. I like the Jabra a lot.

douginct

Post by douginct » Mon May 11, 2020 5:19 pm

AirPods always had one falling out of my ear during exercise. Got the AirPods Pro and love them. Great sound IMO. And they come with three tips so I use the large tip for my left ear. No more falling out. Right ear uses the medium tip.

Also, these have noise canceling which works well.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon May 11, 2020 5:35 pm

There are some great options out there for a fraction of the cost. I have these https://treblab.com/products/treblab-x5 (purchased for ~$40) and they have been great.

yosh99

Post by yosh99 » Mon May 11, 2020 5:46 pm

I've had a pair of AirPod Pros since last October. They sound fine, but fall out all the time regardless of which size rubber tip I use.

If you check the various forums, including Apple's own, you find that many people have a similar problem so if you do buy them make sure you test them out to make sure they work for you. Apple lets you return them after the first week or two.

onourway

Post by onourway » Mon May 11, 2020 5:49 pm

z91 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:55 pm
I almost bought one, until I realized the product will only last ~2 years of solid use due to the batteries. Rechargeable batteries will die at some point, and they are not user replaceable. Maybe some company can figure out how to replace batteries in this thing, but IMO they would probably make more money buying "broken" ones and reselling them so I don't think anyone will offer such a service.

This goes with pretty much all wireless solutions out in the market now. If anyone knows of high quality earbuds that offer user replaceable batteries, I'd be all ears.
Two things - one the sony wf-1000xm3 does actually use a coin cell battery that is (unofficially) replaceable.

Second, with the Airpod Pro’s I bought Apple Care which is only $29. This covers the batteries if they at any time fall below 80% capacity. My expectation is that these are unlikely to make it to the covered 3 years passing this threshold, and I’ll have them replaced shortly before the warranty is up.

BruinBones

Post by BruinBones » Mon May 11, 2020 6:03 pm

Looks like alot Airpods, Airpod Pro, and Jabra Elite users on this string.

I felt guilty paying so much for the Airpods for myself, but was pleasantly surprised with the sound quality and convenience compared to wired earbuds.
I had used Jabra single bluetooth headset in the past, so I considered the Elite 65t, also.
Until the Airpod Pros came out, my wife had discomfort with nearly every in-ear buds and on-ear headphones. She is very pleased with the sound and feel of her Airpod Pros.

I was concerned about the price, but I got both when they were on sale, and we are extremely happy with them.

Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Mon May 11, 2020 6:08 pm

No one seems to be concerned about radio frequencies literally zapping your brain from both sides.

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Mon May 11, 2020 7:14 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:08 pm
No one seems to be concerned about radio frequencies literally zapping your brain from both sides.
Its far lower radiation than holding the phone to the side of your head. They communicate with the iPhone or Apple Watch using bluetooth which is many times lower SAR than the device itself.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Mon May 11, 2020 9:46 pm

Leesbro63 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:51 pm
I just became interested in wireless ear devices for my iPhone 10. But I haven't been tuned in at all to this product. I'm willing to spend whatever it costs for the best and current Apple product, I think. What is the current top Apple product called...Airpods1? AirpodsPro? Something else? And are they available easily, or are they backordered with some unknown date of delivery?

Also should I be concerned with having a wireless frequency pinging against my brain, on both sides, day in and day out for hours and hours?
Very happy with my AirPods Pro! Comfortable, hold a charge, and the noise cancellation is very effective.

WoodSpinner

mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek » Tue May 12, 2020 9:07 am

If you have an iPhone, I think you'd like the Airpods.

If you'd prefer over the ear headphones to earbuds, "Airpods Studio" are rumored to be coming out in the next couple months. Think Bose headphones competitor. They will have stronger noise cancellation, better sound quality, and better battery life for $350. However, portability obviously takes a hit once you move to over the ear headphones.

I have the AirPods Pro and I love them. The noise cancellation is great to have when walking/running. It isn't so strong that it blocks out all the noise of traffic and is unsafe, but it dulls the noise enough that I don't feel like I have to blast the audio to be able to hear it.
Last edited by mnsportsgeek on Tue May 12, 2020 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek » Tue May 12, 2020 9:08 am

Leesbro63 wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:08 pm
There is nothing to be concerned about. Your home wifi is more dangerous, and by dangerous I mean not at all dangerous.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue May 12, 2020 9:13 am

I have both the WF-1000XM3 and the AirPods Pro, the main choices right now for true wireless noise-canceling earphones (there are more coming to market). The Sony has very slightly better sound, but really not by enough to matter (even to me as someone who cares about sound quality). The AirPod Pros have a much smaller charging case that can also charge wirelessly, have somewhat more effective noise cancellation (for planes at least), are easier to connect for iOS devices, are quite a bit more comfortable in the ears, and have better call quality, so overall much better usability. The one usability advantage for the Sony is the ability to control the volume on the earphones themselves - I still don't understand why Apple doesn't allow this. The stalks of the AirPods Pro would make an ideal touch-sensitive volume control. I have no doubt this will be on the next gen and be touted as "magical"!

Fclevz

Post by Fclevz » Tue May 12, 2020 10:21 am

02nz wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:13 am
The one usability advantage for the Sony is the ability to control the volume on the earphones themselves - I still don't understand why Apple doesn't allow this.
"Hey Siri, increase volume ten percent."
"Hey Siri, pause playback."
"Hey Siri, play podcast."

mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek » Tue May 12, 2020 10:45 am

Fclevz wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:21 am
02nz wrote:
The one usability advantage for the Sony is the ability to control the volume on the earphones themselves - I still don't understand why Apple doesn't allow this.
Or the more expensive option is buy an Apple Watch which allows you to change the volume with the dial on the side lol

tlk59

Post by tlk59 » Tue May 12, 2020 11:36 am

I had original Airpods for a year and a half. I really liked them. Then just sitting on the couch at home, one fell out of my ear, and immediately disappeared into the bowels of the couch, never to be found again. Frustrating.

I decided to replace with something that sits more securely on the ear, so I now have Powerbeats Pros. For comfort and secureness of fit, they are great for me. What I don't like is not being able to hear the environment, since they are an in-ear design (though not too intrusive), and have no pass-through feature. Voice calls are really weird, because I can't hear my own voice, either through the environment or the phone.

So if I'm out and about, I tend to use only one ear, which obviously isn't good for music, but I listen to a lot of podcasts. And when I tire of that I just use the wired Earpods. So perhaps the Airpod Pros are a better choice.

Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 » Tue May 12, 2020 11:49 am

I am terrible at technology, but the Airpods are the simplest and most enjoyable piece of tech I've encountered in a long time.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Tue May 12, 2020 11:50 am

Fclevz wrote:
02nz wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to change the volume without interrupting the music?

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Tue May 12, 2020 12:07 pm

02nz wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:50 am
Fclevz wrote:
02nz wrote:
Wouldn't it be nice to be able to change the volume without interrupting the music?
Use the crown on your Apple Watch...the knob has a very satisfying feel like old school audio equipment. You can tap the Airpods themselves to pause and play music as well as skipping and rewinding tracks, they just have no volume control on the air pods