Simplest Coffee Cold Brew Systems

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Simplest Coffee Cold Brew Systems

Post by ThankYouJack » Sun May 10, 2020 5:58 pm

I have a Hario Cold Brew System but it takes a while to fill and a bit to clean. Instead I'm thinking about getting one where I can add the grinds and all the water at once (instead of having to slowly pour the water in and wait for it to drain) and ideally it would brew more than 1000 ml of coffee (or a stronger concentrate).

I'm thinking about instead getting an OXO one - https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Cold-Coffee- ... 048&sr=8-5

or the Toddy:

https://www.amazon.com/Toddy-THM-Cold-B ... 161&sr=8-2

Any recommendations?

EDIT: We also have a french press. I may just use that as I could pour all the water in at once and it's easy enough to clean.

Poorman

Re: Simplest Coffee Cold Brew Systems

Post by Poorman » Sun May 10, 2020 6:42 pm

I just use a big french press. Simple, effective. Don't need to purchase another tool for the shed...

levelride

Post by levelride » Sun May 10, 2020 7:08 pm

I've been using the Toddy for several years. Very simple to use with solid results.

dannyboy

Post by dannyboy » Sun May 10, 2020 7:19 pm

I just use a mason jar and coffee grounds; put everything in, give it a good shake, let it sit for 24 hours, then strain via cheesecloth or mesh strainer into a separate jar. I dilute 1:1 with milk for an “iced latte” or with water for caffeine levels similar to black coffee. Costs $1.50 max for the mason jar. :sharebeer

oktax

Post by oktax » Sun May 10, 2020 7:43 pm

+1 for Toddy. I’m making cold brew with it now. Great results, foolproof, and easy to clean.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun May 10, 2020 7:45 pm

Two pitchers and a fine mesh strainer. It’s what I already had.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

buhlaxtus

Post by buhlaxtus » Sun May 10, 2020 7:54 pm

I always come back to the french press, myself. Easy to use, easy to clean, works hot or cold... mine is limited to a liter though, some days that's a notable disadvantage :)

mlipps

Post by mlipps » Sun May 10, 2020 7:55 pm

We have a Primula brand 50 oz pitcher, as well as a smaller Takeya brand. I love the Primula. It makes more consistent coffee than my Takeya and the bottom twists off the wire strainer, so it's really easy to clean with or without a garbage disposal. It only takes 30 seconds or so to pour the water in through the top & let it filter down the through the grains. I find my Takeya needs about 48 hours to make a strong brew, but with the Primula, if I start it by 3p or so, leave it on the counter all afternoon, then pop in the fridge at night, it's good to go in the morning.

I also think the French Press works pretty well IF you have a garbage disposal. Without a garbage disposal, it's a bit tedious to clean. Also, mine only holds about two cups so I have to make it pretty often; I can get 4 days worth in one go with the Takeya which is great.

Mountain Doc

Post by Mountain Doc » Sun May 10, 2020 8:50 pm

I just mix grounds and water in a large jar and put it in the refrigerator for 16-24 hours. Then I pour it through a standard coffee filter into a carafe. Easy.

tetractys

Post by tetractys » Sun May 10, 2020 9:14 pm

Mountain Doc wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 8:50 pm
I just mix grounds and water in a large jar and put it in the refrigerator for 16-24 hours. Then I pour it through a standard coffee filter into a carafe. Easy.
+10

As long as it’s sealed from refer air, and the brew is poured through a tasteless foraminous material, WOW.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sun May 10, 2020 9:29 pm

I'm not a serious coffee drinker, but I wanted to try out cold brew. After much shopping around for a good, economical, easy to use and clean system, I settled on the simple mason jar method. I bought a cotton nut milk bag (actually a set of two) on Amazon. A friend gave me a wide-mouth mason jar.

I put the bag in the jar, pour in a cup of coarsely ground beans and then pour in about 3 cups of water. (Stir it to make sure grounds are all wet.) Then lid on and into the fridge … eventually. The next day I lift out the bag and squeeze the excess liquid into a bowl and pour it back into the jar. The first batch I tried pouring through a coffee filter, but that was slow and there was almost no residue. I chose this method because it's cheap and I wanted to make a concentrate.

I'm really liking it. I've got a batch in the fridge right now.

gips

Post by gips » Sun May 10, 2020 10:18 pm

i have the oxo in your op, ordered about two months ago, has worked very well. fwiw, i read a bunch of ex-toddy reviewers who said the toddy was great for its time but this is far better.

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Sun May 10, 2020 10:22 pm

I combine the ground coffee with water in a jug, and leave it on the counter overnight. Then strain it using a coffee maker filter.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sun May 10, 2020 10:28 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 5:58 pm
I have a Hario Cold Brew System but it takes a while to fill and a bit to clean. Instead I'm thinking about getting one where I can add the grinds and all the water at once (instead of having to slowly pour the water in and wait for it to drain) and ideally it would brew more than 1000 ml of coffee (or a stronger concentrate).

I'm thinking about instead getting an OXO one - https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Cold-Coffee- ... 048&sr=8-5

or the Toddy:

https://www.amazon.com/Toddy-THM-Cold-B ... 161&sr=8-2

Any recommendations?

EDIT: We also have a french press. I may just use that as I could pour all the water in at once and it's easy enough to clean.
ThankYouJack ,

I cold-brewed the coffee by using a glass jug. Then, I use the Toddy and paper filter bag to filter the coffee. It is easier to clean.

https://www.amazon.com/Packs-Coffee-Fil ... 153&sr=8-5

KlangFool

Afty

Post by Afty » Sun May 10, 2020 10:29 pm

I also use the Toddy, have been for a few years. It’s easy peasy.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sun May 10, 2020 11:05 pm

Poorman wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 6:42 pm
I just use a big french press. Simple, effective. Don't need to purchase another tool for the shed...
+1

masteraleph

Post by masteraleph » Mon May 11, 2020 8:29 am

I have the Oxo one, which I find works quite nicely. I have used a french press for it before, and didn't like the results quite as much.